rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Coolest car for $30K or so...

Coolest car for K or so...

Fellas, I almost died last week. Was driving in Wisconsin for a meeting when my car skid out - could not correct skid and I ultimately panicked like a little bitch, pumped the brakes and flipped the car. Lucky I'm in one piece and assuming I pass the resulting mandatory hair follicle drug test my company issues whenever you're involved in an at-fault accident, I need to get a new car for work.

I can afford anything under $32K and it can be used, but here are the stipulations:

A) Must be 2011 model or newer
B) Must have 4 doors
C) Must have at least 6 cylinder engine

I really wanted to try and stretch for a 2011 Jaguar XF, but unfortunately those are closer to $40K than $32K and I just don't want to stretch that much. I present you the candidates...

[Image: lexus-is-250-at-luxury-01.jpg]

Lexus IS250 - the car I crashed. Did great in the rollover but I felt it was a bit small, and I like trying new things. Can get a 2011 with relatively low mileage (35k) for like $30K. Inside is real leather, heated seats, nav system, bluetooth streaming, etc.

[Image: 2012-mercedes-benz-c-class-c300-Front-Angle.jpg]

Mercedes 300 4Matic - These look pimp to me on the outside but they don't have real leather seats and are pretty spartan on the inside as a whole. Still, I can get a 2012 for low mileage (25k) for like $28k.

[Image: 2011_Cadillac_CTS_Sedan_130384_Black_1.png]

Cadillac CTS - By far the most bells and whistles - huge interior, plush leather with nav system, etc. etc. But is there an "old guy" stigma about Caddies? It's pound for pound the best bang for your buck at like $26K but do Caddies hold their resale value?

Others worth considering: BMW entry level, Hyndai Sonata (pocket the cash) KIA that looks like a bigger/badder IS250 (pocket the cash), etc.

Any thoughts or other suggestions? I'm really at a loss. Hope I pass my drug test as well my life is pretty much fucked if I lose my job.

BTW... Here's the Jaguar XF that I REALLY REALLY wish I could afford. It's so fucking hot and blows my mind. It looks like an $80,000 car IMO. Can get for like $37k used.

[Image: jaguar-xf-03.jpg]

I'd get the ATS, but I have no idea where you will find one for $26k. They've only been out since about Aug/Sep of last year.

The parents have an ATS4 3.6. Fantastic car.

It may be the CTS then? I'm not traditionally a "car person" as evidenced by the fact that I skid out and flipped/totaled my previous car with absolutely no other traffic for miles around me. BTW - "your parents bought a Cadillac". Kinda my point. I'm not saying they're not cool.... My older sister's ex-boyfriend who is like 50 (cool as shit, but he's still 50) is the only "cool" person I personally know who has a Cadillac.

Ill try and update if time hasn't closed on me - thanks for the correction. Also I may be able to get a 2010 Jag XF but the only problem is I'd only be able to drive it for 2.5 more years before it fell out of compliance.

Big question before we proceed any further. Since you are used to a Lexus, are you prepared to give up some of that reliability in exchange for a more exciting car? Personally, I would not want to own a Jaguar or most European cars without a warranty. If you have a good independent mechanic it helps, but I have seen plenty of people buy something like a Range Rover because it seemed like a cool car and then shit bricks when the air suspension died and they got an enormous bill. There's a reason that Jags, Land Rovers etc depreciate so rapidly. Nobody wants to be holding the bag when repairs need to be paid for out of pocket

The ATS looks sick. I'd also consider the e90 platform 335i or M3 (if you want to stretch the budget).

Or...want a Bentley in disguise? Look at the W12 VW Phaeton.

"As you may know, 2005 and 2006 Flying Spurs were built alongside the Phaeton in Dresden. So how similar are these two cars? The biggest difference is the engine. American Phaetons came with 4.2 liter V8s or normally aspirated 6.0 liter W12s. The Bentley came with a twin turbo 6.0 liter W12."

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Audi A4.

The baby benzos are for girls. So are 3 series. Cadillacs still have a stigma of being old or "urban". Lexus is nice, but if you want an impressive cool car, go with the Audi. Lexus is you want something reliable though.

Since you have issues driving on our wonderfully snow covered WI roads I would suggest a 2011 CTS4. (The 2 hour drive I put in this morning was almost epic with the snow and 30MPH winds. A 6000 pound 4 wheel drive truck is handy in such driving conditions.)

It will be all wheel drive and have all the stability and traction control stuff. A 3.0 shouldn't be hard to find under $32K and you may find some 3.6's under that. The 3.6 would definitely be preferable power wise without losing much for mileage. The CTS will also be bigger than the other cars you mention.

A used dodge magnum srt8.

Quote: (02-27-2013 01:17 PM)MikeinMKE Wrote:  

BTW - "your parents bought a Cadillac". Kinda my point. I'm not saying they're not cool.... My older sister's ex-boyfriend who is like 50 (cool as shit, but he's still 50) is the only "cool" person I personally know who has a Cadillac.

No, I didn't say my parents bought a Cadillac. I said they bought an ATS4, which happens to be a Caddy. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Seriously, the only old person Caddy out there is the XTS and I even like those for what they are.

Frankly, I was a bit surprised when dad decided to get the ATS as it rides pretty firm for a couple 65 year olds. It's a very sporty car, much like the CTS-V he had previously.

It's NOT an old person car by any means. I think you need to go drive some ATS' and CTS' and see for yourself. Sweet rides.

Quote: (02-27-2013 01:27 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

Audi A4.

The baby benzos are for girls. So are 3 series. Cadillacs still have a stigma of being old or "urban". Lexus is nice, but if you want an impressive cool car, go with the Audi. Lexus is you want something reliable though.

Maybe leased 328's are for girls...but a twin turbo 335i that'll push 400hp with little investment and one of the best built and best driving cars in it's class for decades...we can't let the girls have all that for themselves.

But, I also get the fact that they're a now-replaced platform and very common on the roads.

Honestly, I'd get the Phaeton if I had to get something right now. It would be hard to find and yeah the looks aren't that great, but a clean black one would be pimp and I can't afford a Bentley any time soon.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

Get a used BMW 335i or a used Audi A4

“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
-Socrates

theres no VW phaetons coming up in any search - even nationwide. what up with that?

thanks to all for suggestions - audis i see EVERYWHERE up here so I just don't want to have a car that 10000 other people in this city have.

Maybe a VW cc then? http://www.vw.com/en/models/cc/gallery.html

Quote: (02-27-2013 02:02 PM)MikeinMKE Wrote:  

theres no VW phaetons coming up in any search - even nationwide. what up with that?

thanks to all for suggestions - audis i see EVERYWHERE up here so I just don't want to have a car that 10000 other people in this city have.

Unfortunately, they stopped selling the cars here in 2006 as the demand just wasn't there like it was in foreign markets. A 2006 will only be about $20k or less, but there's only one W12 on ebay and several V8s, and the mileage is obviously getting up there on these. So like I said...hard as fuck to find. I just think it would be awesome to have one for the Bentley platform, super cheap price, and the fact that NO ONE else will have one...everyone that rides in it will be like 'wow what is this'?

Practically speaking, Merc, BMW, Audi, Caddy...take your pick. Can't really go wrong.

I worked for a guy with a CC and it was always in the shop - could have been a lemon. I don't know much about these, but looks wise they're pretty cool.

Look at a used Lexus GS. They're nice too.

Audi A4 AWD.

But 32k is a lot of money to spend on a car. If you're making a payment, 5% interest, nothing down, you're talking north of $700 bucks. Throw in full coverage insurance, gasoline, maintenance, inspections, registration - that's 1100+ a month.

WIA

Quote: (02-27-2013 02:18 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Audi A4 AWD.

But 32k is a lot of money to spend on a car. If you're making a payment, 5% interest, nothing down, you're talking north of $700 bucks. Throw in full coverage insurance, gasoline, maintenance, inspections, registration - that's 1100+ a month.

WIA

BMW may still be doing 0.9% financing, strong credit obviously, for their certified pre-owneds. It's (almost) like a free loan. Not sure if any of the other makes are this low.

But that's another point. IF you buy luxury import brand...strongly consider certified pre-owneds. You pay a little more upfront, but you don't have to worry about losing your shirt on some crazy ass repair for at least a few years.

Mercedes E Class - E320

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

What do yall think about a 2011 GLK with low mileage for like $34,000? Is this too much of a rich/spolied sorority girl car?

[Image: 9063880107558108182]

They're pretty cool. I took my mom to test drive one when she was car shopping and it was nice but she ended up getting the new Acura RL. They are kind of a chick/mom car, but so are cars like the Boxster and SLK but I still like them so fuck it.

Quote: (02-27-2013 03:29 PM)MikeinMKE Wrote:  

What do yall think about a 2011 GLK with low mileage for like $34,000? Is this too much of a rich/spolied sorority girl car?

[Image: 9063880107558108182]

I drove one as a rental before, it was actually really fun to drive (handles nicely) around town and I felt good driving it and felt like it would be a good car women won't mind riding in and will be semi-impressed by. I'd consider getting one if the option presented itself (I personally don't care if its a "rich/spoiled sorority girl car", which I don't think it is..maybe it is, fuck it though you'll be good with the ladies with it).

OP,

These guys are throwing out insane suggestions. A W12 Phaeton...? Wicked car but have fun paying 10k if your air suspension blows out, let alone keeping that motor in tip top shape. Just cuz a $100k+ car costs $20k used doesn't mean it's not a $100k+ car to maintain.

The 335i is cool but they like to shit their fuel pumps out which can be very expensive. The 328i is hardly a girls car, it's the last naturally aspirated I6 from BMW. 230 horsepower isn't lightning fast but it's plenty. If you are an adequate driver, you'll give a lot of cars headaches in that thing.

PM me if you want. I work in this industry and can help you find something decent.

Quote: (02-27-2013 03:47 PM)Donnington93 Wrote:  

OP,

These guys are throwing out insane suggestions. A W12 Phaeton...? Wicked car but have fun paying 10k if your air suspension blows out, let alone keeping that motor in tip top shape. Just cuz a $100k+ car costs $20k used doesn't mean it's not a $100k+ car to maintain.

The 335i is cool but they like to shit their fuel pumps out which can be very expensive. The 328i is hardly a girls car, it's the last naturally aspirated I6 from BMW. 230 horsepower isn't lightning fast but it's plenty. If you are an adequate driver, you'll give a lot of cars headaches in that thing.

PM me if you want. I work in this industry and can help you find something decent.

Don, you're right...I was just being creative with the W12/V8 Phaeton and throwing something out that I'm sure he hasn't considered yet.

I drive the e90 330i and I wouldn't trade it for anything twice it's value. Super smooth N/A engine, no HPFP issues, and it's the perfect balance. I got the sport package, chip and perf. exhaust so it's plenty sporty but also a nice compact sedan for when you have some passengers...so I'm with you on this.

Quote: (02-27-2013 01:27 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

Audi A4.

A4 is for girls that like the head lights. You have to get an A6.

A4, 1 series, 3 series, C class can all be called "girl" cars. They are essentially all in the same class.

That being said, I love the 3 series. My favorite car I have ever owned was a 3 series.

Quote: (02-27-2013 02:21 PM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Quote: (02-27-2013 02:18 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Audi A4 AWD.

WIA

BMW may still be doing 0.9% financing, strong credit obviously, for their certified pre-owneds. It's (almost) like a free loan. Not sure if any of the other makes are this low.

But that's another point. IF you buy luxury import brand...strongly consider certified pre-owneds. You pay a little more upfront, but you don't have to worry about losing your shirt on some crazy ass repair for at least a few years.

a 32K loan @ 0.9 % is 678 a month
a 32k loan @ 5% is 736 a month

http://www.autoloancalculator.com/

This ain't about interest. 50 bucks a month isn't gonna break someone willing to pay 700 on a car note.

In terms of repair, imports cost more than domestic, german cars tend to be less reliable than japanese - but even the major maintenance you do after 60k/100k is not going to amount to more than 2-3 car payments. (my old 5 series radiator swap was 7 bills, timing belt swap in my Acura is about the same)

Every month, you're forking over 700 bucks on the car. Usually 100 bucks a month for full coverage of a nice import (which is required for a car with a loan by most lenders). Gas @ 4 bucks a gallon, and most 6 bangers are looking @ 25 mpg, 150-200 on gas. - When all is said and done, you're usually north of 1000. Keep in mind, regardless of what you drive - expensive or not - to keep it on the road, you're looking at 2-400 bucks a month.

I haven't even added in parking, toll fees, and the rest. And god help you if you want a sound system, rims, or any performance mods.

Just speaking as a guy who went through his car phase. OP is gonna buy what he's gonna buy. You gotta live your life. I think it's important to know what you're paying before you make the decision.

But you'll find that people will complain about a beer going for 4 bucks, or gas moving up to 4.10 when it was 3.95 last week, but they have no problem spending thousands on a cell phone (usually 2400 with a 2 year plan), houses, cars, and education.

Which as a side note, that's a good reason to get into (and invest in) businesses where people don't bitch about price. Where you can hide the true cost of something.

WIA

Quote: (02-27-2013 04:04 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

a 32K loan @ 0.9 % is 678 a month
a 32k loan @ 5% is 736 a month

http://www.autoloancalculator.com/

This ain't about interest. 50 bucks a month isn't gonna break someone willing to pay 700 on a car note.

In terms of repair, imports cost more than domestic, german cars tend to be less reliable than japanese - but even the major maintenance you do after 60k/100k is not going to amount to more than 2-3 car payments. (my old 5 series radiator swap was 7 bills, timing belt swap in my Acura is about the same)

Every month, you're forking over 700 bucks on the car. Usually 100 bucks a month for full coverage of a nice import (which is required for a car with a loan by most lenders). Gas @ 4 bucks a gallon, and most 6 bangers are looking @ 25 mpg, 150-200 on gas. - When all is said and done, you're usually north of 1000. Keep in mind, regardless of what you drive - expensive or not - to keep it on the road, you're looking at 2-400 bucks a month.

I haven't even added in parking, toll fees, and the rest. And god help you if you want a sound system, rims, or any performance mods.

Just speaking as a guy who went through his car phase. OP is gonna buy what he's gonna buy. You gotta live your life. I think it's important to know what you're paying before you make the decision.

But you'll find that people will complain about a beer going for 4 bucks, or gas moving up to 4.10 when it was 3.95 last week, but they have no problem spending thousands on a cell phone (usually 2400 with a 2 year plan), houses, cars, and education.

Which as a side note, that's a good reason to get into (and invest in) businesses where people don't bitch about price. Where you can hide the true cost of something.

WIA

You say the interest doesn't matter ($3k over a 60 month loan, according to your $50/month calc), but then talk about gas and tolls? Are you trying to say he should spend a lot less because it's not all worth it in the end? I'm assuming a) he has to buy a car b) he can and wants to spend up to $30k c) interest, tolls, gas don't matter because he has to pay them anyway.

You can get a NICE car within the $20k-30k range, so I think OP is on the right track there, but he could also spend on the lower range of that if he wants to. He could have a $100k budget and I'd still make recommendations, not question why he would want to spend that much.