rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

NYC Restaurant Report: A Guide To Eating The Apple

If you come to NYC looking to bang as many women as possible while ignoring the cultural merits of The City, then you're probably doing things wrong. If you come here and ignore the culinary merits of NYC, then you're definitely doing things wrong. Few things in the world make me feel manlier than enjoying a life affirming meal, and there's no better place to enjoy it than in NYC.

As a note, I have eaten in every restaurant you see here. While a place like Per Se is probably wonderful, I've never been there, so I'm not going to talk about it. Additionally, you can find nearly any country's cuisine if you look hard enough, especially in the outher boros. PM me if you need help with eating outside of Manhattan.

NYC can be expensive to eat, so I've tried to vary it by price and experience with some tips for keeping it cheaper. What I can guarantee is that at any of these places is that you're getting a damn good experience/meal.

One of the great ways to get into some of NYC's iconic restaurants is by eating lunch. These three restaurants are simply must do restaurants and in my opinion present the best value in all of NYC dining. Reservations are highly recommended for any of these restaurants, even for lunch.

Walk through Times Square and head north a few blocks to get ready for Le Bernardin. Eric Ripert's fish house is as expensive as it is iconic. The pre fixe lunch menu is the best seafood you'll have in your life. While $72 seems prohibitively expensive for a pre fixe lunch, consider it a good deal as dinner can easily run 4-5x more expensive if you decide to open a bottle of wine. You have never tasted fish until you've let Ripert cook it for you.

Take a stroll in Central Park the next day and spoil yourself silly once again for lunch at Jean Georges. More French cooking at another one of NYC's iconic restaurants. Pre fixe here is only $38, an excellent value for one of the world's premier restaurants.

My personal favorite however is lunch at Sushi Yasuda near Grand Central Station. I dare you to find fresher fish outside of Tokyo's Tsukiji Fish Market. Even though Master Chef Yasuda has moved back to Japan, the quality and minimalist decor remain the same. Pre fixe will run you about $29, an absolute bargain.

If you've hit these three places up your first few days in the city, it's time to move out of Manhattan and into Brooklyn and Queens for some exploring.

Out in the Midwood section of Brooklyn you'll find Dominic DeMarco's DiFara's Pizzeria. Now, a big fucking deal has been made in recent years about the quality of DiFara's, and I can absolutely tell you the hype is real. It's the best damn pizza you've ever had. Anywhere. Italy included. Frankly I didn't know dough, cheese, and sauce could taste this good. I'd also highly recommend L&B Spumoni Gardens and Lucali's for pizza if you're in Brooklyn, but I don't think either of them are worth the pilgrimage like DiFara's.

If you've been to Asia, a trip to Flushing is a good idea to rekindle old memories. If you've never been to Asia, then go to Flushing because, it's as close as you can get without going. Don't take the 7 train, take the LIRR Port Washington line to Flushing and save yourself 45 minutes. I'd highly recommend Biang!, Joe's Shanghai, Xi'an Famous Foods or Hunan House. I can provide you other recommendations in Flushing if you're looking for a specific regional Chinese cuisine. PM me.

If Korean is your thing, take the LIRR train two stops beyond the Flushing stop to the Broadway stop. From there walk two blocks to Sik Gaek for Korean Seafood BBQ. A bit pricy, but I highly recommend the experience of eating a live baby octopus among other seafaring Korean treats. Recommend for a group, as food is served family style.

Moving on to dinner recommendations:

No visit to NYC would be complete without a proper visit to a steakhouse. Really, there is only one option here. Peter Luger's is the clear play here. Williamsburg or Great Neck are both equally worthy. Old school, top notch Porterhouse steak. The waiters are older than your grandfather. Cash only, though they may allow debit cards to be used. It is, bar none, a place for a man to eat a steak. If you don't want to leave Manhattan for steak then I prefer Smith & Wollensky, however that tab can get huge very quickly. Smith and Woll's pours a very generous glass of wine at their bar, so it's absolutely worth checking out for a drink.

SoHo spot, The Dutch is a trendy, seen and be seen type of spot. A good spot for some dinnertime gaming. Food is damn good, New American-ish. Excellent vegetables. Can be hard to score a reservation.

Torrisi Italian Specialties is about as Italian as it gets, but it comes with a price. Old school tradition is blended with new ideas to get a mix of Italian that is delicious. Good luck getting a table, but I think they are now accepting reservations. If you're looking for high quality out of Manhattan, look towards Parkside in Corona where the mobsters are wider than the Cadillacs they drive or Don Pepe's in Ozone Park.

WD-50 is a pretty wild dining experience from Wylie Dufrense. Expect ideas of what food is, and what it isn't to be bent a bit. I preferred the experience over the food, but it was nonetheless excellent if a bit expensive.

In the East Village, The Mermaid Inn is an affordable spot for seafood, specifically happy hour oysters. They have a ton of oyster varieties for $1 before 7. Enjoy a dozen and then stay for an well-priced main.

Osteria Morini is absolutely another SoHo spot worth checking out for Italian. The bill will run steep, but the quality is undeniable and is another "scene" of a restaurant. I haven't been but, I've been told dollar for dollar this is a better bet than Michael White's other Italian restaurant Marea.

Uva is a very happening wine bar/trattoria on the UES. Really excellent bottles of hard to find wine at the right price. A hot staff, hot diners and a solid bar that has quick turnover where a number or two could be pulled if dressed well.

Cafe Boulud is a great spot on the UES for Boulud quality food at more reasonable prices. I prefer it for lunch.

For a quick bite, you can't go wrong with:

Katz's Deli. Open 24 hours, and world famous for a reason. A must. Tip the butcher a couple of bucks when you place your order and watch your sandwich grow. You'd be crazy to not order corned beef or pastrami.

Luke's Lobster. No it's not Cape Cod, but it's pretty damn close. A few locations throughout the city. If you've never had a lobster roll, it's a good bet for a high quality quick lunch.

For breakfast or brunch:

Balthazar. Yes, it's a wonderful dining experience and quite the scene. You will certainly not be the most famous person in there. Their bread and oeufs meurette are to die for. It is a bit hyped though.

Russell and Daughters. World famous bagels. Schmears to die for. A bit overrated. Living off their reputation a bit. If bagels are your thing and you have access to a car the best bagels in the world are wayyyyy out in the middle of nowhere Queens at Utopia Bagels. People religiously wait outside in the middle of winter on a line out the door for a taste of carb heaven.

Hundred Acres. Excellent brunch. A bit off the radar, but I've loved it the few times I've been there. IIRC bloody mary's with an oyster in them. Goodbye hangover after one or two of those.

In all seriousness, I could go on all day with this list. This is just a basic introduction to some NYC dining spots the world knows about as well as some spots I'm sure fellow New Yorkers might not know about. There are plenty of signature restaurants that I haven't been to and probably will never get to. What you see here is something that tries to touch on many different locations and price points. Feel free to contribute where you've been with some of your impressions.

MaleDefined:
Great report. I just gave you a +1 based on this report and your moments of drunken brilliance, among other factors. How would you compare the Artichoke to the pizza places you mentioned? Before going to the Artichoke, I expected it to be some over-hyped, touristy garbage. After eating there, I consider it to be among the best pizza I have ever had. I'm from New Jersey and know what pizza is. I can't agree with you on the Parkside. I went there on a date last summer and thought the food was really awful. The girl I was with said the same thing. I literally couldn't get out of bed for two days after eating there. I was going to mention that place in another thread, but I forgot.

Quote: (02-26-2013 11:25 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

MaleDefined:
Great report. I just gave you a +1 based on this report and your moments of drunken brilliance, among other factors. How would you compare the Artichoke to the pizza places you mentioned? Before going to the Artichoke, I expected it to be some over-hyped, touristy garbage. After eating there, I consider it to be among the best pizza I have ever had. I'm from New Jersey and know what pizza is. I can't agree with you on the Parkside. I went there on a date last summer and thought the food was really awful. The girl I was with said the same thing. I literally couldn't get out of bed for two days after eating there. I was going to mention that place in another thread, but I forgot.

Thanks.

Agreed. Artichoke pizza is amazing. I don't think it's on the level of the three I mentioned, but if you're in the area, you could definitely do worse.

Sucks that Parkside didn't do it for you. I go there a couple times a year, and I have nothing but good things to say. Perhaps it was a new/different chef. I'm sure we've all been to a hyped restaurant that was a huge disappointment. I actually didn't include one big NYC restaurant on this list that I was totally let down by. I wanted to see if someone else would mention it and what they thought of it.

Gmanifesto in 3...2...1...

I'm feeling kinda happy that i've been to about 60% of these places.

Great list.

WIA

Great report.

Quote: (02-26-2013 11:00 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

For breakfast or brunch:

Balthazar. Yes, it's a wonderful dining experience and quite the scene. You will certainly not be the most famous person in there. Their bread and oeufs meurette are to die for. It is a bit hyped though.

Say what?!?!

Just playing. Interesting that you like it for breakfast and brunch.

I like it for lunch and dinner.

And for swooping.

On that note, can you give a "swooping take" on the above places?

Which ones have you seen fly girls/swooped fly girls out of?

Quote: (02-27-2013 09:11 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Great report.

Quote: (02-26-2013 11:00 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

For breakfast or brunch:

Say what?!?!

Just playing. Interesting that you like it for breakfast and brunch.

I like it for lunch and dinner.

And for swooping.

On that note, can you give a "swooping take" on the above places?

Which ones have you seen fly girls/swooped fly girls out of?

It's good. It's very good. But at the end, it's eggs and bread. I'll have to check it out for dinner. That's what's great about the NYC dining scene. Different strokes for different folks.

The Dutch is great for dinner time swooping. They have a late night menu as well, but I've never been so I'm no authority there.

Uva has some legit upper east side nines in there. That could be a strong move. You may run into date night though at the bar, so be warned. If anything down a few glasses of Glen Carlou Bordeaux blend while there. It's a hard to find wine that puts much heftier bottles to shame.

I don't look to dip my spaghetti in cream sauce while eating, so I'm the wrong person to ask when it comes to the mealtime swoop.

Nice report, I'll have to do one for L.A. soon.

I went to Aldea and NoMad while I was there (and a bunch of neighborhood joints). Aldea was pretty good, NoMad is fucking AWESOME. Same people behind Eleven Madison Park.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Lived here most of my life, yet learn something new every day [Image: smile.gif]

Great guide, what is a better Deli, Katz Deli as you say or Carnegie?

Quote: (02-27-2013 02:51 PM)bars Wrote:  

Katz in a landslide.

Quote: (02-27-2013 12:18 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Nice report, I'll have to do one for L.A. soon.

I went to Aldea and NoMad while I was there (and a bunch of neighborhood joints). Aldea was pretty good, NoMad is fucking AWESOME. Same people behind Eleven Madison Park.

EMP is next on my list of titanic NYC restaurants to hit.

Many say it's the best in The City.

Not many agree, but I personally like 2nd avenue deli over Katz's

Great read. I keep close tabs on Manhattan, no surprises there among those listed.

I would however argue that Peter Luger's is living on its laurels. If you want an overall better steakhouse experience go to Keens. Their mutton chop is spectacular!

And the city's best burger is the Black Label at Minetta Tavern. This place is also a good example of why I roll solo. Reserve a table a month in advance for a party of 2 or just go straight up to an empty stool by yourself.

Has anybody, ever finished a pastrami sandwich from Katz?

Quote: (02-27-2013 04:00 PM)LowerCaseG Wrote:  

You're nuts. I love 2nd ave deli but it's got nothing on Katz...

Anyone in L.A. needs to go to Langer's. IMO it's the only real competition Katz has. They're different animals, it's like comparing NY pizza to Chicago pizza, but I think I give the slight edge to Langer's as far as personal preference.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Katz deli had huge line when i was there, thats tough when you're hungry at lunch. I went to vaselka mostly, ukrainian diner in East village and optimal on my budget. thanks for the share.

Quote: (02-27-2013 08:07 PM)Ruxman Wrote:  

Katz deli had huge line when i was there, thats tough when you're hungry at lunch. I went to vaselka mostly, ukrainian diner in East village and optimal on my budget. thanks for the share.

Veteran tip:

When Katz is too heavy duty go to Russ and Daughters next door (or so).

If you are going just for a steak and not ambiance or eye candy I would suggest Porter House over Luger. If you want eye candy and a decent steak I've found STK is hard to beat. Very nice list overall.

Quote: (02-27-2013 04:44 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-27-2013 04:00 PM)LowerCaseG Wrote:  

You're nuts. I love 2nd ave deli but it's got nothing on Katz...

Anyone in L.A. needs to go to Langer's. IMO it's the only real competition Katz has. They're different animals, it's like comparing NY pizza to Chicago pizza, but I think I give the slight edge to Langer's as far as personal preference.

Have any of you been to Sarge's Deli in NYC?

One cat I do some work with from NYC says it's tops.

What is the best pizza in Manhattan? I have heard about Capizzi, Patzeria and Ketse but if you could only eat one pizza what would it be?

Quote: (03-11-2013 08:30 PM)bars Wrote:  

What is the best pizza in Manhattan? I have heard about Capizzi, Patzeria and Ketse but if you could only eat one pizza what would it be?

Lombardi's is great.

I want to try Lucali's.

Anyone been?

Quote: (03-11-2013 09:27 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (03-11-2013 08:30 PM)bars Wrote:  

Lombardi's is great.

I want to try Lucali's.

Anyone been?

Lucali's is excellent. Go for the pizza the first time, but the calzones are as good as it gets. Scoring a table can be a pain. Get there 530-545 if you don't want to wait, though the hype may have died a bit. I haven't been in a year or so.

This is a dope restaurant post, and most everything is still valid today.

I've lived in the East Village for coming up on 7 years, and I love to eat. So thought I'd add on some pointers of my own.

Also, this food blog is where it's at. Really solid food reco's that blow Yelp out of the water. immaculateinfatuation.com

#1 Spot to try right now and perfect to impress a lady is ABC Cocina. Not the easiest to get a reservation, but if you role up to sit at the bar, the wait is usually less than 30 minutes. The food looks simple on the menu, but will absolutely blow your mind. One of the best meals I've ever had in the city and at a reasonable price. Figure less than $150 for two including a few cocktails each. Obviously Jean Georges knows what he's doing.

Another great date spot is Apizz. Maybe the best ambiance of any place I've been downtown, and very solid Italian food.

Steakhouse: Everything recommended both in the original post and comments are great. However, in my humble opinion, for a combo of both food quality and vibe, Striphouse can't be beat. Just an amazing steakhouse. Luger's might have better steak (albeit barely), but for everything else, Striphouse in a landslide.

Pizza: Just as MD said, DiFara's is the best. It truly does live up to the hype and is the best bite of pizza you will ever have in your life. So good. Lucali's is close too and I definitely recommend making the trip out to Carroll Gardens for that. Don't sleep on the calzone!

If you're looking for a slice place in Manhattan, as mentioned, Artichoke's margerita slice is about as good as it gets. The Artichoke slice is a bit too heavy for me. For just a cheese slice, Joe's Pizza in the West Village is the best

Oysters & Seafood: Oysters are so hot in NYC right now. And I love them. Mermaid Inn is solid, but I think there are better options. Upstate is probably my favorite restaurant in the city right now. East Village location, happy hour 5-7 everyday with a $12 for 6 oysters and a beer special. The whole menu is amazing too so make sure to save room for dinner.

Maison Premiere in Williamsburg is another great oyster spot with $1 specials from 5-7. Plus, Absinthe. If you like that spirit as I do, it's a must visit. Don't be afraid to venture over the bridge, there are a ton of great spots in Brooklyn.

Burgers: Minetta Tavern and their $26 Black Label burger is indeed the king, but who wants to pay $26 for a burger? Corner Bistro and Royale are the best of the under $10 pub style variety, while Spotted Pig has a pretty amazing $18 version.

BBQ: Two best BBQ spots in city by a mile are Mighty Quinn and Fette Sau. Some of the best you can get anywhere in the country.

Filipino: Lotta hate on this board for Filipino food. Try Maharlika and Jeepney though and I bet you will be singing a different tune. Just great food and solid ambiance. Fun places to eat.

That's all I got for right now. Hope you guys enjoy.

Strong co-sign on Mighty Quinn. Their monster rib was actually so good it made me sick.

Disagree on Corner Bistro burger...found it bland. I tend to like more lo-key burgers, but as far as upscale, Odeon is very satisfying.

Will have to try the other recs.

I've never even heard of Mighty Quinn. Have to check it out. I had basically written off any BBQ joint north of the Mason-Dixon.