rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Serious Exit Strategy

Serious Exit Strategy

I think most of us living in the US would agree that things are getting worse. So I was wondering if anyone on this forum had a good, realistic exit strategy to be able to move and support themselves abroad. I'd like to hear what people have in mind so I can get an idea of what steps I need to take. I have a little money saved up but would definitely need to be employed (engineering degree, but I work mostly in sales so my skill set isn't up to snuff). Just wondering how other people would go about this. Thanks in advance for your response

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

Serious Exit Strategy

I think the best strategy is to just be flexible, you never know what will happen.

Serious Exit Strategy

Do you speak any foriegn languages? Always makes getting out of the country easier, in my experience.

Staying out permanently without funding, however, is a different ballgame. I'm trying to get a handle on that as well. Love to here some expat strategies as well.

Serious Exit Strategy

There are several posts on the forum about ways to earn a portable income. Some guy is even offering internships at the moment.

Serious Exit Strategy

Quote: (02-09-2013 02:45 PM)nek Wrote:  

I think most of us living in the US would agree that things are getting worse. So I was wondering if anyone on this forum had a good, realistic exit strategy to be able to move and support themselves abroad. I'd like to hear what people have in mind so I can get an idea of what steps I need to take. I have a little money saved up but would definitely need to be employed (engineering degree, but I work mostly in sales so my skill set isn't up to snuff). Just wondering how other people would go about this. Thanks in advance for your response

I don't know where you live, but from my experience the mid-sized cities like Vegas, Portland, OKC and even Austin are still very liveable. If you still wanna leave, no matter where you go, do not go to UK or any other Western European countries. The only way to earn good money abroad is to teach English, so make sure you become a member at TESOL.

Serious Exit Strategy

Learn skills that are in demand world wide.

You already own the most portable skill. English.

I have never met someone reasonably wealthy who was not at least somewhat conversational in English.

Serious Exit Strategy

The easiest way is to save some money (not much, mind you, as long as you have say 20-30k saved) then hop on a plane to China. That capital would buy you a year or maybe 2 years of living expenses in China, depending on where in China and the lifestyle you'd be leading. Use that time to make contacts, connections and build a business. If needed, you can always teach English to support you. Within a year or two, you should have a growing business to generate enough to allow you an awesome lifestyle way more fun and fullfilling that you can ever dream of in North America.

Gentlemn, time to free ourselves from the tentacles of the tyranny in North America!

Check the Guangzhou thread in the Travel forum for more on this.

Serious Exit Strategy

figure out what part of the world you are interested in living in. what countries you are curious about. from there look into what languages you need to learn, what are the visa laws like, ability to work or start a business in these countries. do you have any capital to start a business or get settled in a country while you look for work? have you ever lived abroad before? its not for everybody and its not always easy to make a buck. that said i think you can do it if you are independent and can hustle for what you want.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

Serious Exit Strategy

Step 1: Start to save as much money as you can. Decide on a specific amount, but 25-40k should give you an excellent buffer in case things don't go as planned. If you consider yourself more risk averse save more, if not save less. While you're banking this cash give serious thought to where you want to go.

Step 2: Figure out a way to make money on the road that you would enjoy. Read the threads on this forum for ideas. Here's one to get you started:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-13269.html

Off the top of my head there's freelance writing, editing, programming, a translation business, rental income, etc. There are endless possibilities, starting one of these businesses won't be easy, but if you can find a mentor definitely do so as it will shorten your learning curve.

Step 3: While you're executing Step 1 while working a day(or night) job use your spare time to work on your business whatever it is. How much is the side business bringing in? Once it's around $1500-2000(not easy but very reasonable) you're pretty much free to leave.

Step 4. Bounce.

Serious Exit Strategy

Quote: (02-10-2013 08:27 PM)Neo Wrote:  

Step 1: Start to save as much money as you can. Decide on a specific amount, but 25-40k should give you an excellent buffer in case things don't go as planned. If you consider yourself more risk averse save more, if not save less. While you're banking this cash give serious thought to where you want to go.

Step 2: Figure out a way to make money on the road that you would enjoy. Read the threads on this forum for ideas. Here's one to get you started:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-13269.html

Off the top of my head there's freelance writing, editing, programming, a translation business, rental income, etc. There are endless possibilities, starting one of these businesses won't be easy, but if you can find a mentor definitely do so as it will shorten your learning curve.

Step 3: While you're executing Step 1 while working a day(or night) job use your spare time to work on your business whatever it is. How much is the side business bringing in? Once it's around $1500-2000(not easy but very reasonable) you're pretty much free to leave.

Step 4. Bounce.

thanks for the thread link

Serious Exit Strategy

I think with the currency wars going on now is the perfect time to take the opportunity to get established elsewhere. The US being the reserve currency and exporting inflation all over gives you guys time and the upperhand right now.

Argentina is getting ready to collapse, Japan has devauled 20%, Venezuela is about to drop their's 50 fucking %, egypt is almost out of US dollars and has no gold. The Dong has been getting crushed for a year or so, the Euro was getting smashed and they had to step in and prop it up for a bit.

The point is you can go into these countries because they will be so desperate for gold or US dollars that they will sell their soul to you. So you can pick up properties on the cheap. If you time things right you could have a nice place on the beach and the local economy will be recovering as the US dollar finally collapses and you have somewhere else to run to. If the dollar doesn't collapse you still have a nice place for vacationing.

But remember when shit hits the fan you never know how governments will re-act. So be prepared to lose your property or thrown in jail for dealing in the black market. As you can see governments are outlawing gold and strong currencies for transacting everywhere.

With that being said pay attention to what congress is doing. They are slowly instituting capital controls. Many of you might be shocked to know that Obamacare has a lot of financial regulations in it to stop you from moving money offshore and acquiring gold inside the US. Almost a catch 22 situtation.

" I'M NOT A CHRONIC CUNT LICKER "

Canada, where the women wear pants and the men wear skinny jeans

Serious Exit Strategy

I think most of us living in the US would agree that things are getting worse.

What exactly do you think is going to get worse? That should be what guides your actions.

Serious Exit Strategy

I think the crux of what I'm trying to ask is what skill sets easily allow for one to get work visas in multiple other countries? I'm wondering if anyone has some experience traveling around and picking up work above the typical traveller's jobs (bartenders, laborers, etc.) and what's their trade/skill/profession that grants them this ease of movement while at the same time allows them to carve out a decent living for themselves.

Serious Exit Strategy

Quote: (02-10-2013 10:29 PM)j r Wrote:  

I think most of us living in the US would agree that things are getting worse.

What exactly do you think is going to get worse? That should be what guides your actions.

Off the top of my head...cost of living...higher taxes with less return...legal system with regard to male/female dynamic (British Columbia, Canada now treats cohabitation/common law marriage like a real marriage with regards to separation so financially breaking up with your girl is closer to a real divorce. I don't think it's a stretch to see an idea like this come to bear in the U.S. Although I'd never live with a chick anyways)...employment...if shit hits the fan here, I don't see people working together. Think less "Japan Earthquake" and more "Katrina". Rights slowly eroding.

Serious Exit Strategy

Like I said. I have an engineering degree but I have mainly a sales job so I'm not sure what skill I have to offer anymore and I need to develop one. Just looking for recommendations that would also translate to finding work abroad. I understand that's kind of a vague request but hey I gotta start somewhere.

Serious Exit Strategy

You can easily get a job teaching English in many countries if you have a college degree. Add to that a CELTA or similar certification and your options will open up even wider.

If you're over 30 or used to a fast-track career, it might be a step down in terms of pay (and social status). But it gets you overseas and because the job is usually not demanding, you can gradually build up your hustle or new career on the side.

Seriously, if you're young-ish, with no ties, don't sweat it too much. Just get your ass overseas. Saving up 25-40k is very conservative to me and if that means living somewhere you hate for another couple of years, it's completely unnecessary. Just a plane ticket, 5k and a pair of balls is enough.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Serious Exit Strategy

Always invest in yourself. People are always gonna need something to eat, a warm place to sleep, and a place to shit.

Serious Exit Strategy

Interesting topic. I have been tracking this as well. Since I have a family already, I will not be leaving anytime soon. I will have to jump on the buckle up, hunker down strategy. That means, get some precious metals now, learn some new skills to create items that people will trade you for, develop relationships with similar minded people in the hood with other complementary skill, save some water and get as much out of the system now.

The recession hit a lot of us pretty badly, but I took a new job and got rid of my big liability; the house. That gives me some flexibility, but with kids and a wife, zipping to China is not likely for me.

Serious Exit Strategy

I'm trying to bank hard and heavy with something I at least can enjoy for the next few years, and invest hard. Once I hit my number, pull the plug, and the world is wide open.

WestCoast's posts have motivated me in this direction.

Serious Exit Strategy

Quote: (02-10-2013 10:33 PM)nek Wrote:  

I think the crux of what I'm trying to ask is what skill sets easily allow for one to get work visas in multiple other countries? I'm wondering if anyone has some experience traveling around and picking up work above the typical traveller's jobs (bartenders, laborers, etc.) and what's their trade/skill/profession that grants them this ease of movement while at the same time allows them to carve out a decent living for themselves.

I think this is a bit too theoretical. If you have skills and they are in an area where fluency in the local language isn't required, these skills will transfer. Rather than just trying to focusing on having skills that would theoretically allow you to live in the most places, I'd suggest (a) do some research and pick a place where'd you like to live long term (b) apply for jobs there, © get a job and keep it for the length of the country's residency requirement, (d) become a citizen and ditch your US passport (unless you calculate there is no significant financial harm of keeping it and is not likely to be in the future). In the meantime, develop your skills and CV in your chosen field, study the relevant language and save cash.