rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Suiting up on daily basis at 22

I am thinking about wearing suits on a daily basis. I have 4 suits and 2 blazers, plenty of shirts, but only a few ties.
The only downside is the fact that I'm 22, and suits are usually for older men. Nevertheless, I plan on investing more on suits, now that the final clearance is on.

Which one of these 2 blazers would you rather buy?

http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...D%20POCKET

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/Navy-striped-c...||||||||||

#2.

I can't tell if the first one is cool or if it looks like Hugh Hefner's pajamas. Second one and you'll look like Larry Kudlow (dresses extremely well, mind you, but not my style).

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Both of those are absolutely hideous. Don't like the material of the first one and the second one is just plain ugly IMO. Looks low quality with poor craftsmanship. Don't even think about buying that and wearing it with jeans.

Quote: (02-04-2013 08:55 PM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

I can't tell if the first one is cool or if it looks like Hugh Hefner's pajamas. Second one and you'll look like Larry Kudlow (dresses extremely well, mind you).

Larry's an old man though. I don't wanna look that old.

Quote: (02-04-2013 09:00 PM)_GQ_ Wrote:  

Both of those are absolutely hideous. Don't like the material of the first one and the second one is just plain ugly IMO. Looks low quality with poor craftsmanship. Don't even think about buying that and wearing it with jeans.

Fair enough, if they're not worth it, I'd rather buy a warm jacket.

Some girls your own age might find you less chill, less compatible if you always rock a suit. Is your social circle centred in a wealthy area/class? Do the girls you aim to approach recognise tasteful fashion? Define why you're going to make the change too, that should answer everything.

Girls will probably think you are 25 or 26.

Which isn't a bad thing.

Not a fan of either. Get a navy blazer.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

I have no social circle here, nada, nothing. There are couple reasons why I wanna be suited up, for starters if I wear a suit and have my shirt buttoned down, I'll stand out from the average guys who wear sweaters or heavy jackets or whatever. Secondly, when you wear a suit at my age, women will find you intriguing, and might also think that I have money (I barely have enough to make ends meet). I usually approach older women, around 25-28, but that's not to say that I do not approach younger women. I'll give you another reason why I'm considering it, women rarely compliment me on looks, but on one occasion I was wearing a suit and my date said " You look good, I love your suit". Of course, the hipster chicks will blow me off like crazy, because they'll think I'm not chill enough, but I honestly do not care.

Renotime, I already have a navy blazer. Only reason I wanna buy a blazer right now is because of the insane reductions.

Anyways here are 3 more to choose from:

http://www.esprit.co.uk/sale/men_sale/CL...O2G011_023
http://www.esprit.co.uk/sale/men_sale/CL...O2G006_001
http://www.esprit.co.uk/sale/men_sale/CL...C2G011_060

The G might disagree, but personally I wouldn't bother trying to rock a suit on a regular basis until your late 20s at the earliest. The reason being that simply by wearing a suit at a young age you create your own incongruence. You look like a try-hard, because everyone knows you have no reason to be wearing a suit at 22. You're just too young to pull the suit off without looking like you're trying to impress people, and for that reason the suit backfires. Instead of people thinking, "That guy looks fly in the suit, he's the best dressed guy here by a mile," they will be thinking, "Did this guy just get out of a job interview? Why is he wearing a suit?" This goes double if your suit is not stylish and impeccably tailored.

I think you would be better off rolling in nice jeans or dress pants, with some quality button downs and working in a stylish blazer on occasion. No tie.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Quote: (02-04-2013 09:47 PM)scorpion Wrote:  

The G might disagree, but personally I wouldn't bother trying to rock a suit on a regular basis until your late 20s at the earliest. The reason being that simply by wearing a suit at a young age you create your own incongruence. You look like a try-hard, because everyone knows you have no reason to be wearing a suit at 22. You're just too young to pull the suit off without looking like you're trying to impress people, and for that reason the suit backfires. Instead of people thinking, "That guy looks fly in the suit, he's the best dressed guy here by a mile," they will be thinking, "Did this guy just get out of a job interview? Why is he wearing a suit?" This goes double if your suit is not stylish and impeccably tailored.

I think you would be better off rolling in nice jeans or dress pants, with some quality button downs and working in a stylish blazer on occasion. No tie.

Actually, I meant both blazers and suits.

It's gotta suit your lifestyle... if you get that 28 year old on a first date then what.... you said you have no $$

Quote: (02-04-2013 09:59 PM)Ruxman Wrote:  

It's gotta suit your lifestyle... if you get that 28 year old on a first date then what.... you said you have no $$

I only take my dates to dive-bars like Slim Jim's, and I only offer them one drink. I've had enough with dinner dates.

Quote: (02-04-2013 09:45 PM)AlbertoDelMuerto Wrote:  

I have no social circle here, nada, nothing.
Get off your ass and change that then. It's not going to get any easier after university.

Man, if I only went to a proper university I'd have a social circle. I've said before that I'm doing a professional Finance & Accounting course, and trust me it ain't anything like a university.

Quote: (02-04-2013 10:01 PM)AlbertoDelMuerto Wrote:  

Quote: (02-04-2013 09:59 PM)Ruxman Wrote:  

I only take my dates to dive-bars like Slim Jim's, and I only offer them one drink. I've had enough with dinner dates.
This is the problem, and why I said wearing a suit in your position creates your own incongruence. You can't pull off the suit if you aren't frequenting upscale locations and willing to drop a little coin.

Would you walk around carrying a guitar if you couldn't play? You might get initial interest, but once girls realized you were just posing, they would be totally turned off. Wearing a suit to dive bars where you only buy one drink is basically the same thing.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

http://www.next.co.uk/men/tailoring/tailored-jackets/6 this might be a better look for you.

Don't really like the two you selected, the stripe jacket is nice but not the look you want.

If you must get a suit, make sure it is a nice grey or blue and it fits you perfectly. You will also need to invest in proper dress shoes, which will set you back a few.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Why not go for a preppy collegiate look? You will differentiate yourself with style, but still be congruent to your situation. I'll post some pics of what I mean later

Whenever I see some young twenties guy in a suit, I immediately think "must be in the college republicans." And those pro-lifer, stodgy, Christian-types are always the life of the party....haha

You'll grow into a suit dude. Now's not the time. You just need a cool look - cool clothes and a cool hairstyle. Be an individual rather than just another in the crowd.

Agree with scorpion. You're young and broke, suit will make you look like a try hard.

*Disclaimer: I'm not in college anymore, but in my 20's*

I think suiting up as a 22 year old will look incongruous. Maybe you have an older, more masculine face and it would work... but I'm guessing it'll draw more attention to your youth than make you look high class. In college, being tryhard is espcially deadly. It's probably best to succeed in a more subtle way.

via Male Fashion Advice:

College Starter Kit

[Image: hFN5b.png]

Frat/bro culture makes the prep look acceptable. But generally, the frat bros wear a very crude version of the preppy look. The hipster/plaid look is in too. If you put some conscious style into it, your look will "fit in", but stand out based on quality.

Try a look like this:

[Image: vDghm.jpg]

...Or if you don't like preppy, check out this spring fashion thread. Henleys, breezy button ups, light shoes, etc. I rock this look, and it helps my youthful face look a little more mature, without going too tryhard and backfiring.

[Image: pEbSQ.jpg]

There is evidence that people want to be seen and aligned with people wearing suits and actively wearing one with confidence has been proven to open one's social circles. People want to be seen with you, probably has more DHV value than muscles, these days it take a lot of balls to wear one, if you can work up the balls to wear a suit, you will notise people really treating you differently.

Scratch the suit idea, hit the thrift store and get some nice dress shirts.. I make good money and still can't bring myself to waste money on new shit, can't beat the selection either. Suited down is definitely going to hurt you more then benefit you especially if you're struggling to make ends meet.. I've got 20~ nice shirts I spent under $100 on total(American Eagle, Jack&Jones etc.). How many suits will that get you? That being said I do have a nice Danier leather jacket to throw over top. Best of casual/formal.. Rock some low cut black nikes or something and you're set

Conceived to beat all odds like Las Vegas

Plaid shirts make me look shorter, I avoid them at all costs. Anyways, I've been wearing blazers for the past few days, and I'm getting more attention from older women. The poster who suggested suits will make women think I'm less chill is right on. God knows why I wasted my money on a new suit and a tuxedo jacket.