rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Shedding 30 lbs in a year with minimal exercise

It's been a year now since I peaked out at about 195lbs, I'm about 5'7''/5'8''. I checked in today at about 165. I worked out for a total of 1 month, thanks to Hencredible's post about 30 day gym memberships off amazon local. Nothing too strenuous, about an hour on the treadmill/bike, light nautilus after, and 20 mins in the sauna. This was last April.

The main adjustment was my diet. I realized I was eating a TON of carbs, going through an average of 2 loafs of sour dough bread, 1.5-2lbs of pasta, and the additional rice and potatoes in a week. I stopped buying bread, and ate my way through the pasta I stockpiled in the house. I guess I'm on what you might call the Paleo diet. I haven't cut out carbs totally, I will occasionally buy a single loaf of french bread, or a single package of pasta. All I do is try not to eat meals where the majority of calories are coming from carbs. No carb based meals, that's the only hard rule. No dairy at all. I seldom eat breakfast. A typical meal will consist of 2 or 3 chicken breasts with sauteed vegetables. I eat plenty. Although I consider my diet to be nutrient rich, I still eat plenty of junk, and my diet is high fat. Looking at myself in the mirror, I think I could still lose another 15-20lbs without looking emaciated. Maybe after I drop a little more weight I'll add some definition, but I don't really have the desire to be jacked.

I've been juicing for a little over a month, and although I felt good prior to that, I feel better now.

Anyway, my weight peak coincided with my joining this forum.

Quote: (01-30-2013 03:32 PM)LowerCaseG Wrote:  

It's been a year now since I peaked out at about 195lbs, I'm about 5'7''/5'8''. I checked in today at about 165. I worked out for a total of 1 month, thanks to Hencredible's post about 30 day gym memberships off amazon local. Nothing too strenuous, about an hour on the treadmill/bike, light nautilus after, and 20 mins in the sauna. This was last April.

The main adjustment was my diet. I realized I was eating a TON of carbs, going through an average of 2 loafs of sour dough bread, 1.5-2lbs of pasta, and the additional rice and potatoes in a week. I stopped buying bread, and ate my way through the pasta I stockpiled in the house. I guess I'm on what you might call the Paleo diet. I haven't cut out carbs totally, I will occasionally buy a single loaf of french bread, or a single package of pasta. All I do is try not to eat meals where the majority of calories are coming from carbs. No carb based meals, that's the only hard rule. No dairy at all. I seldom eat breakfast. A typical meal will consist of 2 or 3 chicken breasts with sauteed vegetables. I eat plenty. Although I consider my diet to be nutrient rich, I still eat plenty of junk, and my diet is high fat. Looking at myself in the mirror, I think I could still lose another 15-20lbs without looking emaciated. Maybe after I drop a little more weight I'll add some definition, but I don't really have the desire to be jacked.

I've been juicing for a little over a month, and although I felt good prior to that, I feel better now.

Anyway, my weight peak coincided with my joining this forum.

Congrats man. Shit gets really hard the leaner you get. I wenr from 195 to 175 with relative ease, but now getting sub 170 seems impossible. Im 6'0 though, and not very muscular, so Im closer to my lean body mass. Im even talking with heavy calorie restriction and intermittant fasting.

In college I weighed 220. Almost 4 years later I'm around 160. Beer and carb intake reduced dramatically with home cooked food and moderate exercise. Took some time and dedication but its worth it. Fast food is poison gents only have it every once in a while

A slow carb diet should get you a 20-30 pound loss in 4-6 weeks without any exercise.

Start eating breakfast.

Even if it's something very light, you need to re-train your metabolism. Eating breakfast (or rather, not fasting from last night's dinner to the next day's lunch) will keep your metabolism up and you will burn more calories throughout the day. Always eat something. Yogurt, piece of fruit, hardboiled egg whites, 1/2 chicken breast, small can of tuna, light protein shake... Those types of things. Just eat small portions if you're worried about your daily caloric intake, but eating anything (rather than nothing) will kick-start your metabolism.

Quote: (01-31-2013 06:56 PM)Dulceácido Wrote:  

Start eating breakfast.

Even if it's something very light, you need to re-train your metabolism. Eating breakfast (or rather, not fasting from last night's dinner to the next day's lunch) will keep your metabolism up and you will burn more calories throughout the day. Always eat something. Yogurt, piece of fruit, hardboiled egg whites, 1/2 chicken breast, small can of tuna, light protein shake... Those types of things. Just eat small portions if you're worried about your daily caloric intake, but eating anything (rather than nothing) will kick-start your metabolism.

I'm looking to loose some weight too and I've been reading about intermittent fasting which seems to have become increasingly popular. It basically requires fasting until early afternoon. I have only begun this a few days ago so haven't seen results yet, but it's easier than i would have thought.

Here's some information here. http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-doe...ungry.html

thanks to Hencredible's post about 30 day gym memberships off amazon local.

Link?

Quote: (01-31-2013 07:43 PM)Horus Wrote:  

Quote: (01-31-2013 06:56 PM)Dulceácido Wrote:  

Start eating breakfast.

I'm looking to loose some weight too and I've been reading about intermittent fasting which seems to have become increasingly popular. It basically requires fasting until early afternoon. I have only begun this a few days ago so haven't seen results yet, but it's easier than i would have thought.

Here's some information here. http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-doe...ungry.html

I've found IF can be effective, but for people making big changes to their diet/exercise regiment this can be very hard to maintain and end up being ineffective.

I would suggest trying something like the slow carb diet which still allows you to eat a normal amount of food at your normal times, but helps you to learn more about what you are eating. Plus you also get 1 day a week to consume whatever you want, including alcohol. You should also see results in the first week.

I lost about 35 pounds in less than 5 weeks and I did zero exercise the entire time. Once I had that routine down I was able to start mixing in exercise and IF concepts and it was a much easier adjustment.

Intermittent fasting does have its limits.

I found that after about eight weeks of IF where I would have a narrow feeding window I started to develop some kind of metablic disorder (possibly adrenal fatigue) and couldn't seem to get enough sleep or have any energy during the day. Nowadays I can function pretty well on about seven hours a night. Here's a pretty good timeline of how fasting seemed to work on me.

week 1 : hungry all the time, odd mood swings
weeks 2 -6 : very high levels of energy, function well on fairly little sleep (like six hours a night)
weeks 7-8 : feeling pretty normal, hunger is an afterthought. Sleeping like ten hours a night.
weeks 8-10 : deader than hell, can't get enough sleep, not hungry at all

The way I see it there are two useful options for fasting (depending on how you respond to it) that I did not pursue. One is the cheat day every three days or so, where eating windows don't matter. The other is fasting just one solid day per week. That way your metabolism is not going to suffer from many weeks or months of a consistent (and small) feeding window. It will be more miserable to go this route, because you'll always be stuck in my week 1 phase of being hungry while fasting, but I think it is more sustainable for weight loss. Be nice to your adrenals and don't respond to low energy with more fasting.

Quote: (01-31-2013 08:04 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

thanks to Hencredible's post about 30 day gym memberships off amazon local.

Link?

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-10179.html

Quote: (01-31-2013 08:17 PM)snoop Wrote:  

I would suggest trying something like the slow carb diet which still allows you to eat a normal amount of food at your normal times, but helps you to learn more about what you are eating. Plus you also get 1 day a week to consume whatever you want, including alcohol. You should also see results in the first week.

I lost about 35 pounds in less than 5 weeks and I did zero exercise the entire time. Once I had that routine down I was able to start mixing in exercise and IF concepts and it was a much easier adjustment.

More than a pound a day for 35 days straight? What was your starting weight? My impression was you have to be enormous to lose that fast for that long.

I'll second the slow-carb diet though. As with paleo, you can eat basically as much as you want, whenever you want, provided you skip the carbs. It's great for staying lean without ever giving a second thought to your diet or counting calories.