rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Do you keep a suitcase packed?

Just in case something happens?

What's in it?

WIA

I've been considering making a "bug out bag" just to keep in the closet. Would include survival items such as change of clothes, some granola bars/nonperishable food, flash light & extra batteries, knife, some cash, first aid kit, rope, as well as copies of all my ID information.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Interesting idea. I never thought of it, but I think I'll make one now.

I like what presidentcarter wrote. To that, I would add maybe a separate cell with a card for a few hundred minutes.

It's probably a good idea if you live a fast and louche life like many of us do.

I've never heard anyone talk bug out bags outside the US. Is this a uniquely American thing? Any correlation with the survivalist movement? Am curious.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Not really a bug out bag, but I always have enough shit in a duffel in my truck that I can go on a moments notice.

Just need to grab the laptop and phone on my way out the door.

This comes from my years working in the railroad industry and being constantly on call.

I also have an inverter in the truck so I can use the laptop most anywhere for hours.

A generator is usually in the back also to power bigger shit if need be.

I keep a complete set of grooming items in my carry-on suitcase, because I find it's things like that I most likely forget to throw in the bag. There's also a set of outlet adapters in there too.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

I got this list from Neil Strauss' book Emergency.

Food Bag
Mess Kit
3 self-packed bricks of food, approximately 4-5 days for one person, each with two MRE's, and assorted jerky's, candy bars, additional foil-packed tuna/spam, energy bars, soonest rotation is late 2011.
Dead space is filed with assortment of cold brew ice teas, sugar packets, splenda, fast food condiments (ketchup, mustard, honey, taco sauce, salt, pepper, hot sauce), bouillon cubes (chicken and vegetable), about five feet of aluminum foil folded.
Misc bag
Trash bags
Votive Candles
Deck of cards
Ziplock bags
space blanket
Solar/crank-powered radio/flashlight
Hygiene bag
Feminine bag
-Contents: lipstick, nail care kit, lotion, pumice stone Bag of water flavoring, juice, punch, coffee, and some onion soup mixes to spice up gamey wild-caught animals
Can of athlete foot spray
60 multi-vitamins
100 vitamin c
Insect repellant
Sun block
Camp suds
Gold bond powder
Package anti-bacterial wipes
Tooth brush
Tooth paste
Travel-size bar of dial soap
Travel-size purell
Travel-size q-tips
Travel-size deodorant
4 disposable razors
Condensed beach towel
2 Condensed hand towels
Camping utensil set
Six-pack of tube socks
Tool bag
Folding saw
Multi-head screwdriver
Pliers
Electrical tape
Nails
Needle-nosed pliers
Crescent wrench
Book: combat skills of the fighting soldier
Field shovel/pick
Hammer/hatchet/pry bar
Utility pouch
Sewing kit
Vegetable seeds
Emergency whistle
Waterproof matches
Fire paste
50 feet rope
Cable ties
Extra batteries (AA and AAA)
Magnesium block/flint
Trip/snare wire
Top storage pocket
2-man tent strapped to top
Emergency Bivvy bag
Book: survival, with updates
Book: Counter mobility
Book: booby traps
Book: field sanitation
Signal mirror
Signal fireworks/flares
Compass
Whet stone
Barter pocket
Coffee
80 Tampons (OB for increased carry)
Lighters
Rolling tobacco
Toilet paper
2 bottles water purification tabs
Anti-diarrhea tabs
Gold/Silver coins
$200 in small bills
Misc. pocket II
2 rain ponchos
Toilet paper
250 ml Clorox bleach (purifies btwn 40-60 gallons depending on cloudiness)
6 Power bar snacks
Dog treats
Notepad
Pens
Intruder detection kit (eye screws, tops of party poppers-freaking loud w/o the body)
Copies of passport, drivers license, and other personal documents
Shoulder Strap Pouches
Gun cleaning kit
Survival knife
Binoculars
12 ga shot shell holder (12 rounds)
Emergency first-response belt
Dust masks
Eye goggles
Marking chalk
Gas shut-off tool
Head lamp
2 canteens, each with water purification tablet bottle
First aid kit (dressings/band-aids, field surgical kit, latex gloves, waterproof tape, snakebite kit, dental tools, analgesics, first aid army field manual, sunscreen, anti-diarrhea, trauma pads, space blanket, medical scissors, etc.)
Work gloves
Power bars

" I'M NOT A CHRONIC CUNT LICKER "

Canada, where the women wear pants and the men wear skinny jeans

I've kept my camping backpack ready to go since going through an earthquake back in 1998. It's for survival in case of a natural or man-made disaster, not for running from the cops because I'm not worried about that. Clothing, food and shelter are the high points you need to hit first, then anything that adds comfort. I've done a lot of solo camping and the one thing I've found really helps is the packable hammock, a chair is usually the last thing you think of when you're roughing it.

cargo pants
fleece sweatshirt
thermals (top and bottom)
canvas shorts
sneakers
extra laces (boot and sneaker)
2 pair underwear
2 t-shirts
2 pair wool socks
rain poncho
1 large towel
1 small towel
.22 rifle
.22 rifle ammo
12 gauge shotgun ammo
canteen and Nalgene bottles
water filter and pill purifiers
5 gal. water bladder
snow peak camp stove (palm size)
2 cans stove fuel
6 pack tuna
6 MRE type meals
instant coffee
salt/pepper/crushed red pepper
small stainless steel camp pot
small stainless steel mug
spoon/fork/knife
flashlight
Swiss Army emergency radio w/ handcrank and power inverter
extra batteries
candles
rope
tent stakes
various small bungee cords
small emergency medical kit
bug spray
survival knife
small tarp
1 man tent (1 non fat chick will fit too)
sleeping bag
small hammock
1 bottle Wild Turkey 101 proof
Army Survival Manual and another more in depth survival book

I'll carry my 12 gauge, the rifle is tied to the pack. Depending on the situation I may leave the guns but I doubt it, although I could see getting shot (or at least shot at). If there's time I'll tie my sleeping pad on too. This also assumes I have enough time to dress for the weather, put my hiking boots on and grab a proper coat. This is a heavy pack, I would not want to hike very far with it and wouldn't be moving very fast. I'm probably forgetting a few things... pretty sure there's some maps in there too.

Where I live in the Northeast it's highly unlikely I'll ever need this but I like being prepared. We've had a few power outages and I always make friends with the neighbors by using the camp stove to make coffee.

This reminds me, it's about time to eat the food and put some fresh stuff in there.

EDIT: Excellent list BigInJapan! I see a bunch of stuff I'm missing... off to rei.com!

Wow, y'all are killing it. Lotta good things on these lists.

WIA

I keep a slut kit. Will start a thread tonight if the internet ever comes back up.

I'm getting close to living and working entirely out of one carry-on bag. I won't be able to survive out in the wilderness for 3 months but I can pickup and go anywhere with all I have at a moment's notice, feels good.

Quote: (01-29-2013 04:57 PM)Caligula Wrote:  

I've never heard anyone talk bug out bags outside the US. Is this a uniquely American thing? Any correlation with the survivalist movement? Am curious.

It's a weird American thing.

You don't need a "bug out bag" unless you're a criminal, and in that case you do what you have to do and don't write on forums about it.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Quote: (01-29-2013 07:28 PM)Rah Wrote:  

I'm getting close to living and working entirely out of one carry-on bag. I won't be able to survive out in the wilderness for 3 months but I can pickup and go anywhere with all I have at a moment's notice, feels good.

Mind breaking down the contents? I've been thinking of packing a bag like this to facilitate travel so I can be a bit more spontaneous when it comes to weekends and the like. Obviously some things like clothes and toiletries are a given, I'm just curious what works for you, practically speaking. A lot of the stuff you read about online tends to be SHTF/apocalypse oriented, which is fine, but frankly I'm much more likely to need my bag for a quick jaunt to another state than I am to need something to grab when the Commies invade.

My Get Home Bag ( GHB ):

Mine is designed to make sure I can quietly get home from anywhere within 2-3 days walking distance, E&E (Google: “Escape and Evade”). This bag is equally suited to help if I need to sit on the side of the road waiting for a repair truck in the middle of 115-degree summer or a -10 degree cold winter. Once yours is assembled, you will be surprised how light this is.

We often think of disasters only striking when we are at home or work, where we may have resources. Unfortunately, we may be in-between places when disaster strikes. I suggest keeping this bag in your trunk.

* Start with a good knife! I Blacksmith my own knives. Use this guide for choosing a solid, reliable knife if you are going to buy one. -> http://artofmanliness.com/2011/11/29/how...val-knife/

* A pocket knife. I forge my own blades so I have one specifically fit to my needs. If you need to buy one, I suggest one like my Sanrenmu 710. Google “Sanrenmu Reviews”, Sanrenmu comparison, or “Sanrenmu quality”. You can find them on ebay. Look through them and find a model that works for you. http://www.sanrenmu.com/sanrenmu-710-folding-knife.html

* A map, a simple city map from a gas station. A quality metal compass, even good ones are less than $10. Please don’t think the plastic compass on the end of your survival knife or on the dashboard of you car will help.

* Rolling gym bag. Don’t get a military backpack that you A) won’t be able to carry on your back for very long. B) Draws attention to the fact that you might have something so valuable you’d carry it instead of leave it. We can pull a lot more than we can carry. Don’t be a target!

* Two (2) Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets. You can get packs of 10 for $5 on Amazon.

* 2 large, folded garbage bags.

* A roll of $1 and $5 bills. Whatever you can afford to keep in that bag.

* Reliable flashlight, plus 1 set extra batteries. Don’t store batteries in the flashlight or they will be drained by the time you need them. I prefer MagLights. Research your own favorite. Just remember not to turn on a light unless you absolutely have to. Lights draw attention. Don’t be a target. You may also want to replace the bright white bulb with a dark red or blue bulb that makes it contrast less with your environment.

http://sibitotique.blogspot.com/2010/03/...vival.html

* Mechanical, winding watch with glow in the dark face that I can cover. Preferably with date on it. Keep it in your pocket so the light does not attract attention.

* 100 feet of 550 Paracord. No bright colors please. The most common is Olive Drab green. You can usually get it for less than ten cents a foot.

* Waterproof matches and a bag of dryer lint. Yes dryer lint! It’s amazing kindling. It starts fire fast! Save up a zip lock bag full.

* Put your favorite well worn, but with no holes/tears pair of sneakers in the bag and buy yourself a new pair. You don’t want to break in new shoes on a walk.

* Treat yourself to a new pair of glasses, put the old ones in a hard case with a small bottle of cleaning solution and a cleaning cloth. Remember, we only use clean water for drinking. Tape the case shut. Toss it in the bag. You may break the pair you are wearing in an emergency. If you cant’ see you can’t get home safely.

* A seasonal jacket or coat. A light one for the summer and a thick one for the winter. Switch them out as the seasons change. Don’t buy a nice new one. Go to the Goodwill and get a used one for $5 that is intact and has a hood. Wash it and throw it in your GHB. A hat that is correct for the season. A thick woven hat to cover ears in winter and a floppy light hat with a wide brim to cover your head and neck from the sun in summer. This isn’t a fashion show.

* Emergency Food Bars, I stock the Datrex 3600 Emergency Food Bar. They taste like coconuts mixed with breadcrumbs. Not unpleasant. Look them up on ebay for a good deal.

All of the following can be found at the 99-cent only store or Dollar Tree:

* 2 pair of thick tube-socks, 2 long sleeve undershirts, 2 pair underwear, 2 small hand towels, 1-2 thick towels.

* Notebook, sticky pad and Pen/Pencil, excellent for writing down important information or for leaving a note.

* A large Bandana, Shemagh, or Keffiyeh. Avoid local, or well known gang colors. Just get plain Black.

* Sunglasses.

* Small, palm sized plastic mirror. Keep it in a sock or something that will prevent you from accidentally reflecting light.

* Toothbrush/toothpaste kit.

* 2-3 of the largest squares or rolls of gauze you can find. A box of the largest Band-Aids you can find, Remember that you can always cut them down to size if you need to.

* Two, one gallon bottles of water that are only for drinking!

* Resalable pack of baby wipes in a soft pack. To clean your body of dirt that can cause an infection. A shower/bath wont be handy. Baby wipes will get the job done. You just have to use a dozen or so to cover your whole body.

* Resalable pack of disinfectant wipes in a soft pack.

* Bottle of hand sanitizer.

* Duct tape, you can use it to repair things as well as tape on bandages, in place of stitches or even stop bleeding. Google “duct tape uses”.

* A pack of Aspirin, a pack of Laxatives, & a pack of anti diarrhea medicine. Packs take up less room than bottles. You only want enough to last 2-3 days to reduce selling and any joint inflammation.

* A book to read for fun, something that will occupy your mind while you rest or wait for rescue. At least one book on survival that is specific to survival in your region. Examples -> http://io9.com/5888333/survival-books-to...apocalypse

* Vice grips, Flathead screwdriver, & a Phillips head screwdriver.

* Three (3) days worth of any prescription medicine that you cant go without.

* A weapon that you are learning, or have already learned how to use. This is a very personal decision. Do you want silent weapons to dispatch people without drawing attention? Do you want something loud enough to deter other threats but may let people to know where you are? Both?

I posted the need for a weapon last because when SHTF my goal is “Escape and Evade". Violence is my last resort. My goal is just to make it home to my castle. I want to avoid confrontation at all cost. If you have any doubt AT ALL of your ability to hurt someone, please don’t pack a weapon. It does not make you anything other than realistic about your goals and capabilities. That allows you to focus on the things you can do well, like staying alive to get home!

This list suits my environment, my weather, and my personal preferences. Add what you need for yours. Feel free to make suggestions for mine.

References: http://sibitotique.blogspot.com/2009/11/...klist.html , http://sibitotique.blogspot.com/2010/12/...e-bag.html , http://sibitotique.blogspot.com/2011/04/...r-you.html

Check out Pimp Game, Picking Up Strippers, The Fun Way!, Weaponized: Add Cold Reading to your arsenal! and Tarot Game.

Game isn’t what I use to get what I want out of women.
Game is what I use to get what I want out of life.

None of you are ever going to need this shit.

I can be packed starting right now (9 pm) for anywhere in the world, adjusting for biz, pleasure, or both. All my shit is where it should be and clean, minus a bit of ironing.

If we're talking about survival? LMAO at Neil Strauss. All I need is a Glock and combat knife. Then I'll take your suitcases and pick through them. I'm not joking.

Now realistically, if you're in an unstable country, it is wise to know your routes to friendly embassies, airport, ect. Have a stack of cash, and use your carry on as your bugout bag, just taking important documents, passport, ect. Leave everything else if the shit hits the fan. Traveling light is key.

For hotel safety, keep that shit in your bag, along with small LED flashlight, to navigate through the emergency exits in case the place goes up in flames.

Quote: (01-29-2013 07:39 PM)RawGod Wrote:  

Quote: (01-29-2013 04:57 PM)Caligula Wrote:  

It's a weird American thing.

You don't need a "bug out bag" unless you're a criminal, and in that case you do what you have to do and don't write on forums about it.

Go talk to some people who lived around Fukushima and survived the tsunami.

Be prepared for the worst but hope for the best.

I don't own that much shit, being as poor as I am, so it wouldn't be hard for me to leave inside of an hour or two if I really had to.

When I went overseas, it only took me an hour to pack all the things I needed. In retrospect, a portable pullupbar would have been really nice.

I also have a bugout bag, but I mostly keep shit like knives and firestarting stuff in there. I suppose once I move to a bigger city, I'll have to change my bugout bag to more utilitarian stuff like a wallet with a couple hundred dollars in it, a prepaid burner phone, flashlights etc.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

"If we're talking about survival? LMAO at Neil Strauss. All I need is a Glock and combat knife. Then I'll take your suitcases and pick through them. I'm not joking."

Good point Ali and that's a very good tactic. There's no stress, no panic, no running around the house making sure you got everything packed. You just sneak up on the guys who look prepared, slit their throat, go through their shit and take what you need. Or just walk right up to them and wave the Glock around.

In my mind I plan on escaping to the solitude of the woods where I'll survive on my outdoor skills. The reality is I'll probably get my head blown off within a few blocks of home by the cops, the national guard or some well armed scavenger who isn't loaded down by a 100 pound pack!

This is definitely a topic i've done some research on. This year I'm going build a bug out bag.

Quote: (01-29-2013 10:20 PM)Hannibal Wrote:  

I don't own that much shit, being as poor as I am, so it wouldn't be hard for me to leave inside of an hour or two if I really had to.

When I went overseas, it only took me an hour to pack all the things I needed. In retrospect, a portable pullupbar would have been really nice.

I also have a bugout bag, but I mostly keep shit like knives and firestarting stuff in there. I suppose once I move to a bigger city, I'll have to change my bugout bag to more utilitarian stuff like a wallet with a couple hundred dollars in it, a prepaid burner phone, flashlights etc.

LOL.

Brother, I think you're missing the point of this thread. This isn't for leaving inside of an hour or two--this is for grabbing that shit and being out of the house in a minute or two.

Quote: (01-29-2013 08:17 PM)_GQ_ Wrote:  

Plenty of folks used them during Hurricane Sandy.

Quote: (01-29-2013 10:31 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Quote: (01-29-2013 08:17 PM)_GQ_ Wrote:  

Plenty of folks used them during Hurricane Sandy.

I'm with WIA. Plenty of folks have used these things for MANY situations. I think it's so naive when people look at those who prepare ahead of time as being "alarmist."

Many if not most of the catastrophic events in human history were unexpected and caught tons of people with their pants down. Then after the fact, everyone's an arm-chair pundit saying "How could they have been so unprepared?"

A bag like this takes $50 or less to prepare and although the chances are slim that one would need to use it, the utility would be almost infinite in the event that unlikely event happens.

Quote: (01-29-2013 10:30 PM)Technics Wrote:  

Quote: (01-29-2013 10:20 PM)Hannibal Wrote:  

LOL.

Brother, I think you're missing the point of this thread. This isn't for leaving inside of an hour or two--this is for grabbing that shit and being out of the house in a minute or two.

Fine, I could leave my house in five minutes flat with 80% of my belongings, two firearms, and five hundred rounds of ammunition assuming I didn't have to pack it pretty.

So to answer the OP. No, I don't keep a suitcase packed. I don't have to.

These lists do remind me that I should pick up some first aid kits and duct tape, though.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Yeah I wonder how many people would have starved to death during hurricane sandy if they sat around waiting for FEMA ? I completely forgot about that.