rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Small town livin' in Dominican Republic

I am thinking of taking my first trip to the DR soon. But I'm a little worn at the big city lifestyle, late nights at bars, etc.. I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge about the safety or viability of living in a small town or even rural area. There are some organic farms I found online which I can volunteer at. But I guess my question is whether the countryside is generally safe and if there are many available girls. Am I likely to piss off some local and get the shit beat out of me, etc.. Also, can I avoid the P4P ?

At the very least can anyone tell me if they have been to areas slightly off the tourist track and if there is an abundance of attractive girls?

The countryside is generally safe, - just don't flash any expensive items. The girls will be there - be careful about underage ones (under 18) as you can get into a lot of trouble for that. I wouldn't worry about local dudes beating the shit out of you, they are content just screwing your "girlfriend" on the side. No need for P4P but you'll be the one paying for every drink etc as those campo girls generally don't have a peso to their name. And you'll be expected to throw them some salon money now and then.

Quote: (01-28-2013 11:49 AM)rover Wrote:  

The countryside is generally safe, - just don't flash any expensive items. The girls will be there - be careful about underage ones (under 18) as you can get into a lot of trouble for that. I wouldn't worry about local dudes beating the shit out of you, they are content just screwing your "girlfriend" on the side. No need for P4P but you'll be the one paying for every drink etc as those campo girls generally don't have a peso to their name. And you'll be expected to throw them some salon money now and then.

Sounds pretty good. I am generally much liked by locals in the countries I go to. Any idea if you can live in small towns and somewhat blend into local life/ make real friends? I plan on doing a lot of painting, gardening, and hiking. I know there was another forum on this topic but I am asking more specifically about small town/rural locations as opposed to cities.

Quote: (01-28-2013 12:14 PM)kavakid Wrote:  

Sounds pretty good. I am generally much liked by locals in the countries I go to. Any idea if you can live in small towns and somewhat blend into local life/ make real friends? I plan on doing a lot of painting, gardening, and hiking. I know there was another forum on this topic but I am asking more specifically about small town/rural locations as opposed to cities.

I think "blending in" is a challenge in DR, more so in small towns. 99% of people around you will be broke and you'll be seen as an ATM by some of them. However, if you speak good Spanish, have a chill attitude and don't mind roughing it out in the boonies (think daily power outages lasting for hours), you'll be all right. Your biggest concern will be shit stolen from you, so I'd get a bank locker to hold your cash/documents.

Quote: (01-28-2013 12:39 PM)rover Wrote:  

Quote: (01-28-2013 12:14 PM)kavakid Wrote:  

I think "blending in" is a challenge in DR, more so in small towns. 99% of people around you will be broke and you'll be seen as an ATM by some of them. However, if you speak good Spanish, have a chill attitude and don't mind roughing it out in the boonies (think daily power outages lasting for hours), you'll be all right. Your biggest concern will be shit stolen from you, so I'd get a bank locker to hold your cash/documents.

why go to the campos when you can get it the daily[Image: blush.gif] power outtages in good ole Santo Domingo.

"All My Bitches love me....I love all my bitches,
but its like soon as I cum... I come to my senses."

Quote: (01-28-2013 11:20 AM)kavakid Wrote:  

I am thinking of taking my first trip to the DR soon. But I'm a little worn at the big city lifestyle, late nights at bars, etc.. I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge about the safety or viability of living in a small town or even rural area. There are some organic farms I found online which I can volunteer at. But I guess my question is whether the countryside is generally safe and if there are many available girls. Am I likely to piss off some local and get the shit beat out of me, etc.. Also, can I avoid the P4P ?

At the very least can anyone tell me if they have been to areas slightly off the tourist track and if there is an abundance of attractive girls?

If you do this keep us posted. I'm interested in hearing how it goes for you. Where are the organic farms you mentioned... any in the triangle between Santiago/Cabarete/Las Terrenas?

Quote: (01-28-2013 04:18 PM)Big Nilla Wrote:  

Quote: (01-28-2013 11:20 AM)kavakid Wrote:  

If you do this keep us posted. I'm interested in hearing how it goes for you. Where are the organic farms you mentioned... any in the triangle between Santiago/Cabarete/Las Terrenas?

They are not as abundant as in the cities(for sheer numbers)...and the quality goes down Imho. Ask Pitt he spent alot of time in more rural areas.
I just made day trips here and there. If Iremember correctly when he got back to STO DGO, Pitt said the quality kinda sucked outside the city, in places like Barahona, San pedro ect.

"All My Bitches love me....I love all my bitches,
but its like soon as I cum... I come to my senses."

how small of towns are we talking about? 10k, 100k?

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

Quote: (01-28-2013 08:53 PM)bacon Wrote:  

how small of towns are we talking about? 10k, 100k?

I guess I'm most interested in the 10K population range or even less. Or living in the country outside a 100K city. Ideally I would be living on the edge of town or in a village near a town in the 5K-50K range.

As for where the farms are, in general you can find them on wwoof, helpx, ic.org, and global ecovillage network. Occassionally you will see something posted on couchsurfing. Communes and organic farms are my specialty I was literally raised in one and I have visited many in my life.

For the Dominican Republic I looked on helpx and they all seem to be near Puerto Plato and Sosua. Its a free site and you have to look in the caribbean section.

Sounds a little funny to me. Make sure you test run anything there or ask the reliable guys that live there Patron-Rover and the DR1 is a good resource. Things just don't work there like you may think no matter how much you read.

Quote: (01-28-2013 11:58 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Sounds a little funny to me. Make sure you test run anything there or ask the reliable guys that live there Patron-Rover and the DR1 is a good resource. Things just don't work there like you may think no matter how much you read.

It is a bit of a weird setup for DR, organic farms and all. There are literally millions of unemployed Dominicans and Haitians who will be happy to put in 10+ hours of hard work daily for $200-300 USD/month.

There are 3 listings for DR on helpx: a horse farm near Puerto Plata where they charge you $300/week (!), an organic farm 30 minutes from Cabarete (Jamao) - no charge but bring your own tent, and another house near Puerto Plata - at least these guys list "sex education courses" in their project list. All sound a bit funny to me but maybe it can work.

I wouldnt move to a small town in DR if my end goal was fucking chicks. The quality of girls there are not that great, i mean, you will see good looking girls, but you won't see in high numbers like you will see in Santo Domingo.

When i was there, i was also planning to go live in a small town. Before i went there, some locals were telling me that i run the risk of getting robbed there because they all know each other there and when im not at home, they would break into my house/room and try to steal stuff. You may be safer in a big city than in a small town, it just depends. Santo Domingo is not really that dangerous if you dont walk alone late nights.

Small towns are also very boring, you will get bored quickly, specially if you coming from a big busy city.

You can go to a small town and if you dont like it, you move to a big city.

Can anyone tell me about Jarabacoa or similar sized towns which are near nature (like mountains).

I am trying to find great quality of life, which to me means a clean civilized town with easy nature access.

My concern about Jarabacoa is that the girls may be too upper class (at least by DR standards) and difficult. Can anyone comment on personal experience dating or pulling girls they meet in Jarabacoa or similar place?

KavaKid, lets meet up this weekend and talk about which town would be a good place for you to live.

KavaKid: "Can anyone tell me about Jarabacoa or similar sized towns which are near nature (like mountains).
I am trying to find great quality of life, which to me means a clean civilized town with easy nature access."

AFFORDABLE QUALITY OF LIFE in DR? Then maybe I have the best answer because I DEFINITELY want to spend weeks - maybe months - in Samana! Where is it? If you hold out your left hand and point right, palm to your face, then it is located on your little finger tip, map-wise.

Samana is the most scenic province in DR with a thousand empty white sand beaches, forests, National Parks, waterfalls, 2,000 foot high mountains, and just enough affordable civilization to keep happy! (Just google "Samana," and hit the "images" button. Bacardi island and its famed white sand beaches is on the South side, there.

Towns? Santa Barbara de Samana on the south side is the most urban, about 100,000; Las Terrenas, on the North side, has the most diverse population and tourist services with decent amenities like bars and eateries - over 30,000 people but mostly rural; and Las Galeras to the Northeast, the quietest and most rustic village, including ultra-cheap hostels/motels only several blocks from the beach. http://larancheta.com/
OR http://www.lahaciendahostel.com/

Dirt bikes and motor bikes are the choicest and most reliable mode of transport here because of so many dirt roads outside of the two largest towns. But taxis can fill the gap at first.

Check out these visitor blog posts here to see if Samana might work for you! http://www.travelblog.org/Central-Americ...age-1.html

As for game opps? I'm not sure I have more than a clue! With lot's of visitors, the Canadians, French, Italians, and Americans might be the best objects of your desires. If you want native talent, seek towns away from the water of this former island province (the channel filed in over a century ago). Tourists seldom go there. You just might have the best of both worlds that way! Accessibility goes both ways.

The book "Moving to the Dominican Republic: The Paradox of Paradise," by Ross Weber will set you straight about DR culture and mores, as well as do's and don't about thriving in Santo Domingo (like he and his native GF and later wife), and practically and emotionally transitioning from life in the US in your mid to late 20s like the author.

Unlike most of the Caribbean and Central America, Samana's wet season (May to November) is only 3 to 5-times as wet as the dry season. (Elsewhere it's 10 to 15 times as wet. I can't take THAT!) And occasional tropical storms - not hurricanes - are more the norm than elsewhere. http://samana.destilino.com/weather.html

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

Have you been to Samana or Las terrenas? I can tell you that samana doesn't have 100,000 people and Las terrenas doesn't have over 30,000 people.

I have been there many times. It is a good place to visit for the weekend, but to live no way. Too isolated. The closest city is santo domingo and the tolls to go there and back would cost you $50 us dollars.

Pick a small town close to Santiago. There is Bonao, SFM, la vega, jarabacoa, constanza, moca, mao.

Good info. Sounds like Samana province could be a very good place for those who want access to the beach and the mountains... Though the beach is not that important to me. I'm gonna see who's on badoo there, and what the girls look like.

Would love to hear a San Francisco de Macoris data sheet.

Quote: (04-28-2013 11:16 AM)LowerCaseG Wrote:  

Would love to hear a San Francisco de Macoris data sheet.

There is a trip report there if you do the google search. Its going lower on my list because it doesn't seem to contain good nature (ie mountains/ beach in the city). But otherwise, it looks like a solid 3rd tier city well off the gringo trail.

I love this photo from a girl, 21, near Samana on Badoo. Not bad, but is that a baby crib she is posing so sexy on?...... Classic DR fo ya.

Quote: (04-28-2013 03:15 PM)kavakid Wrote:  

I love this photo from a girl, 21, near Samana on Badoo. Not bad, but is that a baby crib she is posing so sexy on?...... Classic DR fo ya.

kavakid if you still in samana tuesday the 30,PM me you number

Quote: (04-28-2013 07:47 AM)patron Wrote:  

Have you been to Samana or Las terrenas? I can tell you that samana doesn't have 100,000 people and Las terrenas doesn't have over 30,000 people.

I have been there many times. It is a good place to visit for the weekend, but to live no way. Too isolated. The closest city is santo domingo and the tolls to go there and back would cost you $50 us dollars.

Pick a small town close to Santiago. There is Bonao, SFM, la vega, jarabacoa, constanza, moca, mao.

MY NUMBERS are from wikipedia. About 190,000 for the whole province of Samana. If you've got better numbers than perosnal impressions, PLEASE spill!

(And no - I haven't been yet, but I'm thinking of DR in terms of starting a business from the US as well as lifestyle options.)

As for size of towns and what's "too isolated" or too small, YMMV. But a winter tourist beach scene alternating with seasonal isolation may well suit me: I do intend to visit a few weeks in the wet season to be sure.

THANKS, <b>KavaKid</b>. You have helped me put Jarabacoa on my short list of towns to visit in DR, prospecting.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

Samana province

Quote: (04-30-2013 12:59 AM)Orson Wrote:  

Quote: (04-28-2013 07:47 AM)patron Wrote:  

MY NUMBERS are from wikipedia. About 190,000 for the whole province of Samana. If you've got better numbers than perosnal impressions, PLEASE spill!

(And no - I haven't been yet, but I'm thinking of DR in terms of starting a business from the US as well as lifestyle options.)

As for size of towns and what's "too isolated" or too small, YMMV. But a winter tourist beach scene alternating with seasonal isolation may well suit me: I do intend to visit a few weeks in the wet season to be sure.

THANKS, <b>KavaKid</b>. You have helped me put Jarabacoa on my short list of towns to visit in DR, prospecting.

Samana is a nice little town and it may work for someone who likes remote setting. Btw those population numbers are completely misleading, - in terms of things to do, businesses like restaurants, bars etc, it will compare to a tiny USA town with 2 gas stations, 5 restaurants and 3 bars, thats about it.

Just got back from a 2 night trip to Barahona. Saw 3 foreigners the whole trip (all dudes, not really partying).

As some forum members said, quality can be lacking. I get the feeling a lot of girls try to move to Santo Domingo. I met a hot 19 year old and her male cousin within 30 minutes of walking around on a thursday night. We drank for about an hour and danced. He left with his date to "go to the store". He was gone for like 15 or 20 minutes at least. I was pretty tired so I pretty much called it a night. She didn't really want to be seen giving me her number but eventually found it already written in her purse. I asked her if she knew where my hotel was, but didn't. I probably could have tried to trick her back to my place somehow, but like I said, I was exhausted, and my PUA is rusty/lacking. I probably should have been like "come on, take me to my hotel". But there is also a small chance I would have bee in danger from cousin if he found me bangin his cousin so quick. Probably not....

Anyhow, next day went 30 minutes down the coast to where a creek meets the beach. Wading pools, like a water park, but all very natural looking. Very beautiful, like Hawaii. Cheap seafood like a whole fish for $2.50 and tables right on the beach.

Friday night I went out again. There are quite a number of bars in the town, most along the malecon. But the best bars for singles are on the west side of town. I think they are new, and they are large with dancing. Ask for the new, big colmados on the road to the san raphael.

Again, quality was not that great. And not so many single girls overall. Also, I wanted to find a $10 working girl but instead saw some of the god awful ugliest and fattest pros I have ever seen in my life.

anyhow, I ended up hanging out with guy cousing again. The girl was busy somewhere else I guess. We ended up in a LA style club in the center of town. There was a live dancer. $2.50 entry fee. He immediately spotted one of the only groups of single young girls in the club, and knew them. The 4 girls ( 6 - 7.5's) were happy to see us, and looked a little horny for white #@. I started dancing freestyle and they were like "what the fuck, whitey can dance". Swear to god they dropped their jaw and shit. I was like "good night, I'm tired" cuz I had seen these girls earlier and they didn't seem that interested.. Plus I had a bug under my ass cuz I equated this club with the same ones in Mexico (ie full of fresas who want to look cool and be bitchy). Basically the environment just bored me. They were like "you are going?!! stay!!" I was just in a bad mood cuz I know if I was a white girl every dude in the place would be on my ass. I just got tired that day of seeing all these country bumpkins that I gotta approach, when they should be approachin me, im the prize dammit. (I know Im retarded but that was my mood).

So I told them I might come back in a minute after getting more money from my hotel. I was about to call it a night when I realized... fuck I spent money tonight on beers for homeboy and entry to the club. I should at least go back and see the entertainment and what happens. So I went back there. Of course the mood was a little different. I lost momentum of course, by leaving them just when they wanted to dance. Whatever... I'm not their dancing monkey. I watched the entertainment which consisted mostly of a 6.5 dancing sexy and shaking her ass quite well. She did some decent wall moves, on the floor, etc. The 3 girls starting dancing all sexy too, shaking their ass and dancing on the sofas. This is where it diverted greatly from Mexico. Some dude from the next table had been dancing with our 6.0 girl and starting getting a little grindy with her. He basically did everything I should have been doing for the last hour. I was bored so I was like, fuck it I'm gonna dance on the sofa too. Bitch was like "get down!". My friend was like these girls are bitches, lets leave. So we went outside for a smoke. Then he starts talking to one of the better looking callgirls in the park. She was a 40 year old 5.5-6... ha ha. Eventually we were like fuck this shit lets go back inside. AT first I was like, we cant go back to those same bitches. After seeing the rest of the club I was like fuck they're the only choice in the place. They were glad we came back and were like where'd you go?
We drank more of their booze (they had bottle service on rum, we didn't pay shit). Things were a little flat. That's when it happened. The thing that made the night....

All of the sudden a fight breaks out right in front of us, on the other side of the railing. Its almost ringside... not too close, not too far. Before you know it there are like 6 dominican brawling WWF style. One dude even broke a glass or bottle over another dudes head. Everyone starts running for the exits. Everyone in my corner jumps and cringes in the corner (including the girls). Im not too worried cuz there don't seem to be any guns or knives and I have a lot of lightweight chairs in front of me if I need them. So Im just standing there and then I think, fuck maybe there will be shooting. So I kneel down a little just in case. But shit starts to clear out. I look left and the girls are in the corner with some dudes (probably one of them is homeboy grindin on the 5) with a damn barricade of chairs. No joke it looked like a roman phalanx with the legs out like porcupine spears. They were straight up in formation, There were like chairs piled up on the ground and the girls were standing on the sofas in the very corner hold chairs with the legs pointing outwards. Funniest damn thing.

That made my night....

The place was about cleared out, so they left. I followed them out and saw police guys with shotguns running on the street and police cars driving around. I shadowed the girls about a block and then asked them where my guy friend went. They didn't know, and it doesn't need to be said, but I wasn't going to get laid. They piled into a nissan altima and left. I saw homeboy walking with his arm around his 5. I was like good for him, he stuck with his girl through all that shit... ha ha.... they probably had some good danger sex...

[Image: whip.gif]