rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Protein Consumption

Protein Consumption

I have been reading on the internet and I talked to some guys that work out a lot and they say you should consume 1 gram of protein for every pound of your weight. This seems like a ridiculous amount. I try to consume 100 grams of protein everyday. I'm 5'9 170 lbs. Is that consumption rate for strictly hardcore bodybuilders or what?

I have been making homemade shakes that have a good amount of protein and this is the best way I've figured out to increase the amount of protein consumption. The shake I make is 2 cups of milk, a scoop of whey protein, 2 spoons of peanut butter, a cup of dries oats and a banana. Does anyone on the forum who who works out a lot consume 1 gram of protein for every pound of their weight?

Protein Consumption

I'm 5'11 180 lbs and consume about 240g of protein daily. Protein makes up 45%-50% of my daily calories.

Protein Consumption

100g of protein is only 400 calories. 170g of protein is not that much. If you only get 100g and you haves more than one shake, you need to eat more.

"Hardcore" bodybuilders eat beyond 1g per lbs. Drugs also change how the body works.

Protein Consumption

i eat about 250 a day at 250lbs.

but i often wonder about it. lyle mcdonald claims that anything over 150 is converted to glucose.

Protein Consumption

it's roughly 1 g of protein per lb of LEAN body mass. therefore if you're 20% body fat @ 200lbs then consume 160 g. beyond that the protein is no longer useful towards protein synthesis and just becomes a more expensive calorie source than carbs.

Protein Consumption

Quote: (01-28-2013 12:45 PM)bodmon Wrote:  

it's roughly 1 g of protein per lb of LEAN body mass. therefore if you're 20% body fat @ 200lbs then consume 160 g. beyond that the protein is no longer useful towards protein synthesis and just becomes a more expensive calorie source than carbs.

can you elaborate on this point? Also, if it is no longer useful, is it still better to have this instead of carbs when cutting?

I'm 180 lbs and about 154 lbs of lean mass so that mean I should take about 150g of protein * 4 = 600 calories. On a 2000 calorie diet, that would leave me with 70% of my calories from carbs & fats. Doesn't seem effective, thoughts?

Protein Consumption

Quote: (01-28-2013 01:49 PM)juice Wrote:  

can you elaborate on this point? Also, if it is no longer useful, is it still better to have this instead of carbs when cutting?

I'm 180 lbs and about 154 lbs of lean mass so that mean I should take about 150g of protein * 4 = 600 calories. On a 2000 calorie diet, that would leave me with 70% of my calories from carbs & fats. Doesn't seem effective, thoughts?

i follow this youtube fitness brah. he has a background in chemistry & nutrition and seems legit. his suggested daily macros for bulking & maintenance are:

- 1 g of protein per lb of lean body mass
- 0.4 g of fat per lb of lean body mass
- the rest may be filled up with carbs

for cutting:

- 1.2 g of protein per lb of lean body mass
- 0.3 g of fat per lb of lean body mass

try it out and see how it goes

Protein Consumption

I have posted links to this blog before.

Here is a great post about the importance of meat and protein in your diet (NSFW)

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.co.uk/2009/...f748957faa

"Meat. Meat is good. Vegetarians might disagree, but this is because they're scared, weak people who are afraid that if the world runs short of cattle, they'll be eaten first. They're right."

Another about the fallacy that too much protein is bad for you:

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...924e01abf4

"Q:"Too much protein damages your kidneys."(More of a statement, really, made by someone who has no fucking clue what they're talking about)
A: This is wholly, completely, and patently incorrect. For healthy people, your internal organs adapt to your diet in the same way that your muscles adapt to increased training levels, and suffer no ill effects whatsoever in the transition.(Skov) Once you get your protein levels through the fucking roof, keeping them there doesn't adversely affect you either.(Knight) Additionally, high protein diets are associated with higher B-12, B-6, and folate levels, and better lipid profiles.(Knight) Frankly, I think the entire idea that there can be "too much" protein in your diet is about as sensible as Shaquille O'Neal's foray into rap. Americans in particular are historically a nation of meat eaters, and we were eating 178 pounds of meat per person a year in the 19th Century and eight times as much meat as bread in the 18th... which is a tremendous amount considering the fact that refrigeration had not yet been invented.(Taubes 11).

Even if the human condition had deteriorated markedly in the last couple of hundred years, your lifestyle has bestowed upon you far greater ability to absorb the protein you consume than the average person, as resistance exercise confers greater protein synthesis. The theory behind this, called the "Energetical Theory" of muscular hypertrophy, suggests that when "the mass of proteins catabolized by resistive exercise exceeds the mass of proteins newly synthesized... between training session, protein synthesis is increased. The uptake of amino acids from the blood into the muscles is above resting values. This repeated process of enhanced degradation and synthesis of contractile proteins may result in super-compensation of protein."(Bernadot 33, Zatsiorsky 8) Due to this phenomenon, it seems ridiculous that the human body would be adversely affected by high dietary intake of protein. Were humans subject to a hard limit on their protein intake, we'd be unable to heal properly when burned, or to recover from the types of incredibly hard labor that were common as iPhones in a Starbucks today. Should you be concerned that a diet heavy in protein shakes like this one would cause your system some undue stress, fear not- science has our backs once again. "During food restriction, protein anabolism is favored when the delivery of amino acids is evenly distributed throughout the day"(Mosoni) and greater frequency of feedings increases the amount of protein you absorb.(Cohn) So, we know that your body will adapt to high protein levels, and that the more frequently you eat protein, the easier it'll be to absorb.

But where are the benefits for a heavy lifter, you might ask? For starters, an intake of greater than 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, in addition to being comically easy to consume, results in a positive nitrogen and negative fat balance.(Forslund) Even larger amounts (>1.5grams/lb. of bodyweight) will stimulate significant muscle growth, and the unused protein will be oxidized and excreted, wholly without deleterious side effects, by healthy kidneys.(Fern) This diet, being somewhat lower in fat and higher in protein than the typical ketogenic diet, will obviously result in some glucogenesis, which is for some reason strikes in a bunch of you terror not unlike that which small children used to reserve for the bogeyman and Michael Jackson. Glucogenesis, or the process by which the body converts protein to energy to replace lost muscle glycogen, occurs irrespective of the type of diet one follows. 5-15% of the amino acids you consume are going to be used as fuel in weight training, and endurance sports utilize an even greater percentage to repair the extensive damage caused by whatever shenanigans in which they happen to be engaging.(Bernadot 31) In short, more protein is good, and a shitload more protein is a even fucking better. Thus, according to both common sense and a meta-analysis, the following is true: Unless you're suffering from renal failure, you can eat protein to your heart's content, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar spouting hippie bullshit, and is possibly a communist.(Martin)

If you're worried about kidney stones, you're either a woman, a 70 year old man, or you're fucking retarded. Kidney stones are caused by dehydration or disease, not your protein intake.(NKUDIC) In other words, quit yet bitchin' and drink more fucking water, and if you're a chick, take a fucking leak after you someone smashes the fucking granny out of you- untreated UTIs lead to kidney stones.

That, motherfuckers, is called dropping knowledge."

Protein Consumption

I was taught that 1g per kilo was the "golden rule" so when I see 1g per pound being the rule in countries without the metric system, it makes me think that there's really no firm basis to it, just a convenient piece of bro science.

Protein Consumption

That's a good point about burn patients that I totally forgot about Laser. Burn patients go through an incredible amount of calories just to stay alive. The body adapts. While just working out isn't quite the same, it is still an applicable analogy. I haven't read much of Lyle McDonald's work, but from the little bit I have seen I think he is kind of a douche (I'm sure he is a smart cat, but the little bit I've seen I don't like the way he comes across about some things). What I don't understand is how someone can take an arbitrary number of 150g and apply it to everybody. 150g may work for the average person, but what about a competitive lifter or a college athlete or even an elderly person? 150g may be right for someone, but not for everybody. Just like those people who say 30g of protein per meal. I haven't had a meal of less than 30g of protein since I was a kid and I'm doing pretty well for myself. My advice is to find a number and if you don't think it is enough add more, but slowly. Don't jump from 100g to 300g in a week. I know Layne Norton, when applied to training, says that rarely are people overtrained, just under conditioned. John Broz has a good analogy, "If you got a job as a garbage man, after that first day you would be sore as hell. Guess what? You go to work the next day. After 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, or a year of doing that same volume of work each day are you still as sore? Probably not unless you take an extended vacation and come back under conditioned". The body is an amazingly complex, but simple thing that adapts to find a "normal".

Protein Consumption

I plan on doing a "diet" around 1800 calories on my cut. I'm about 5'6 and 155, at about 14% BF.
I've been "dieting" for about 3 weeks and have lost around 6 lbs on my EC stack, with a natty test booster, estrogen blocker, and cortizole blocker. Been restricting my diet so that I can prepare for a smaller calorie intake.

Haven't chosen my macros yet, but want to do a high protein, mid carb, low fat diet.

I'd like to be around 10% BF by Summer.

In 2010 I was eating 1500cals per day. I lost too much muscle but the reason for that is I was doing mostly cardio(BJJ) and not lifting weights nearly enough.

Protein Consumption

Quote: (01-30-2013 10:13 AM)Doctor Wrote:  

That's a good point about burn patients that I totally forgot about Laser. Burn patients go through an incredible amount of calories just to stay alive. The body adapts. While just working out isn't quite the same, it is still an applicable analogy. I haven't read much of Lyle McDonald's work, but from the little bit I have seen I think he is kind of a douche (I'm sure he is a smart cat, but the little bit I've seen I don't like the way he comes across about some things). What I don't understand is how someone can take an arbitrary number of 150g and apply it to everybody. 150g may work for the average person, but what about a competitive lifter or a college athlete or even an elderly person? 150g may be right for someone, but not for everybody. Just like those people who say 30g of protein per meal. I haven't had a meal of less than 30g of protein since I was a kid and I'm doing pretty well for myself. My advice is to find a number and if you don't think it is enough add more, but slowly. Don't jump from 100g to 300g in a week. I know Layne Norton, when applied to training, says that rarely are people overtrained, just under conditioned. John Broz has a good analogy, "If you got a job as a garbage man, after that first day you would be sore as hell. Guess what? You go to work the next day. After 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, or a year of doing that same volume of work each day are you still as sore? Probably not unless you take an extended vacation and come back under conditioned". The body is an amazingly complex, but simple thing that adapts to find a "normal".

I still want to do his Rapid Fat Loss diet

Protein Consumption

Quote: (01-28-2013 02:07 PM)bodmon Wrote:  

i follow this youtube fitness brah. he has a background in chemistry & nutrition and seems legit. his suggested daily macros for bulking & maintenance are:

for cutting:

This makes sense. I have always felt the 1:1 ratio of weight to protein was BS. We are 60% water and depending on where your at 10-20% fat, which only leaves 20% of actual mass.

Your body is pissing out the excess or overriding its liver trying to process the excess. If your are 280lb athlete you will need substantial amounts of protein but for a regular sized person you just need 60% of your weight (which roughly works out to be 1.2g as you mentioned).

If people do not believe me that we are being duped by the Supplements Industry do this test. This test made me see first hand that is completely bullshit because before the advent of processed supplements bodybulding still existed but with protein all coming from food.

Try to consume your body weight in food/flesh with no processed meats allowed, and no protein shakes allowed - so no hams, sandwich meats, shit from a can, etc. You have to prep all the flesh yourself while still getting enough fiber (40gr) and water (4 Liters). Try this for a week if you can, I only made it 4 days as it become so time consuming to do this. I was literally eating and cooking in all my spare time. I would be eating one meal while cooking another then forcing another meal down.

After this I realized that what they were telling me was bullshit because it was way to difficult for me to consume 165 grams+ of protein via food. But a regular amount of 100 grams+ was much more manageable with regular food. My body could stomach it all and I could kick down the meals in a realistic time frame.

It seems that being consistent is more important. I track my targets weekly on the iphone and I am religious about meeting my weekly targets. My intakes fluctuate between how long my eating windows are but I will either over or under compensate the next day if needed. Never have had an issue with loosing gains thus far with this new system.

Protein Consumption

I've done steady ratio diets in the past (example Xg protein, Xg fats, Xg carbs everyday), but I've had more success with carb cycling. Carb cycling requires a little more research and planning, but the basics of it are you rotate high carb/low fat days in heavy workout days, med carb/med fat on lighter workout days, and low carb/high fat on non workout days with protein fluctuating a little bit, but not as much. I think Justin Harris started to make this popular sometime in the early/mid 2000s and Shelby Starnes is a big proponent of it now. The reasoning behind it, the simple version, has to do with eating carbs and fats together is less efficient than separating them based on energy requirements for the day and can cause you to store more carbs, or something like that. I've had success with steady ratio diets, carb cycling, and a couple others. It's just a matter of what you're comfortable with.

Protein Consumption

Taking 1 g/lb protein is a good starting point for most people and will get you decent gains. Nothing wrong with it. But if you want to take things up a notch you can absolutely benefit from going as high as 2 g/lb.

From Charles Poliquin, one of the most influential strength coaches to ever walk the planet-

Quote:Quote:

10. Consuming insufficient protein
For a 200-pound lean male, 300 grams of protein per day would be the minimum. In fact, I think the rule should be closer to two grams of protein per pound of body weight, assuming the person is lean.
For about 70 percent of the population who is not carb tolerant, two grams per pound is good for mass gains; it can make a huge difference. Personally, I couldn’t get above 192 pounds until champion bodybuilder Milos Sarcev convinced me to get two grams of protein per pound of body weight. In a matter of eight weeks’ time I was up to 205 pounds, lean.
That being said, if an individual is carb tolerant (i.e., handles carbohydrates very well), that value would drop to 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of body weight. Someone like Christian Thibaudeau, who’s not carb tolerant, should be getting 2 grams per pound. But I’d say 1 to 1.5 grams for a guy like Milos Sarcev, who would be able to wake up and drink a gallon mixture of 50 percent maple syrup and 50 percent dextrose without it affecting his blood sugar. Guys like Milos need to get 70 percent of their calories from carbs.
The bottom line is that carb intake has to be individualized to an extent. Still, most people don’t “deserve” the carbs they eat. The rule for most people is this: You have to earn your carbs!
While there are many mistakes that can be made in trying to gain muscle mass, correcting these 10 errors will help you achieve results faster than ever.

http://gofatkid.com/2010/05/charles-poli...ng-muscle/

Protein Consumption

Quote: (01-30-2013 12:51 PM)kosko Wrote:  

for cutting:

This makes sense. I have always felt the 1:1 ratio of weight to protein was BS. We are 60% water and depending on where your at 10-20% fat, which only leaves 20% of actual mass.

Your body is pissing out the excess or overriding its liver trying to process the excess. If your are 280lb athlete you will need substantial amounts of protein but for a regular sized person you just need 60% of your weight (which roughly works out to be 1.2g as you mentioned).

If people do not believe me that we are being duped by the Supplements Industry do this test. This test made me see first hand that is completely bullshit because before the advent of processed supplements bodybulding still existed but with protein all coming from food.

Try to consume your body weight in food/flesh with no processed meats allowed, and no protein shakes allowed - so no hams, sandwich meats, shit from a can, etc. You have to prep all the flesh yourself while still getting enough fiber (40gr) and water (4 Liters). Try this for a week if you can, I only made it 4 days as it become so time consuming to do this. I was literally eating and cooking in all my spare time. I would be eating one meal while cooking another then forcing another meal down.

After this I realized that what they were telling me was bullshit because it was way to difficult for me to consume 165 grams+ of protein via food. But a regular amount of 100 grams+ was much more manageable with regular food. My body could stomach it all and I could kick down the meals in a realistic time frame.

It seems that being consistent is more important. I track my targets weekly on the iphone and I am religious about meeting my weekly targets. My intakes fluctuate between how long my eating windows are but I will either over or under compensate the next day if needed. Never have had an issue with loosing gains thus far with this new system.

really? what are you eating?

5 eggs for breakfast (35g)
240 grams salmon lunch (51g)
170 grams turkey (roasted breast not lunch meat) (33 g)
340 grams grilled chicken breast (85 g)

thats 204 grams right there and nothing too crazy in terms of cooking. you can cook a turkey breast on sunday and eat it all week. you can get pre cooked salmon. and eggs and chicken are easy.

i also then eat beef jerky as a snack and easily add another 30-40 grams of protein per day that way

and of course i also do a two scoop shake in the morning after workout for another 50 grams

fiber is harder, but broc, salads and yams seem to do it for me

Protein Consumption

Quote: (01-31-2013 08:11 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

for cutting:

thats 204 grams right there and nothing too crazy in terms of cooking. you can cook a turkey breast on sunday and eat it all week. you can get pre cooked salmon. and eggs and chicken are easy.

i also then eat beef jerky as a snack and easily add another 30-40 grams of protein per day that way

and of course i also do a two scoop shake in the morning after workout for another 50 grams

No processed or pre-cooked foods.
No shakes.

Go try that and see how easy it is to hit: water, fiber, and protein marcos for the day.

Protein Consumption

Most research has about .8 to 1.8 grams per kilogram of weight.

So if you're 180 lbs, then that's about 81 kg and so 81(.8)=64.8 to 81(1.8)=145.8.

Don't believe the Broscience.

Protein Consumption

there are actually some real research papers about his: what i remember.
aim for (1 g protein)/(1 kg "lean" body mass) daily.
1.5 g/kg is the point of diminishing returns

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Protein Consumption

So Laser drops some serious knowledge on the benefits of going over 1g/lb, I've quoted one of the premier lifting coaches on the planet recommending up to 2g/lb. What's there to argue about?

I've had great results eating at least 1.5 g/lb per day these past couple months, success that came a lot faster than the days I was eating 1g/lb. To the doubters- try going at least 1.5g/lb a day for two months then come back and share your results.

Protein Consumption

I think this ^^^^ is the golden rule for a "normal" diet. It's 1 gram/lb of lean mass, not total bodyweight.

For bodybuilders and people working out hardcore, you can double that amount if you want to see good gains, recover more quickly, and build mass.

Protein Consumption

Can someone break down these "macros"? I get a general gist of it, I think. Lifting days more carbs, nonlifting days more fat? Protein constant?

Protein Consumption

Quote: (01-31-2013 11:58 AM)kosko Wrote:  

Quote: (01-31-2013 08:11 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

for cutting:

No processed or pre-cooked foods.
No shakes.

Go try that and see how easy it is to hit: water, fiber, and protein marcos for the day.

well, i gave you an example of easy 200 grams of protein with no pre cooked or processed foods.

water is easy

and for fiber, one can hit that easily with salads and broccoli like i said. plus i always put kale in my smoothies.

i have the shake to put me well over 250 daily.

but for example tonight, i had a 16 oz ribeye which was 135 grams of protein. its not that hard.

Protein Consumption

Quote: (01-31-2013 05:30 PM)void Wrote:  

there are actually some real research papers about his: what i remember.
aim for (1 g protein)/(1 kg "lean" body mass) daily.
1.5 g/kg is the point of diminishing returns

I'm confused as I am hearing 1-1.5 gm per pound, 1-1.5 gm per kg or 1-1.5 gm per pound or kg of lean body mass.

What would really help if some one can post a link to a certain study . Thanks in Advance..

Quote: (01-31-2013 12:19 PM)TheKantian Wrote:  

Most research has about .8 to 1.8 grams per kilogram of weight.

So if you're 180 lbs, then that's about 81 kg and so 81(.8)=64.8 to 81(1.8)=145.8.

Don't believe the Broscience.

Same request to kantian, Kindly post a link to a study you might have read.

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

Protein Consumption

Whatever numbers you choose to go with, you will be able to find plenty of people and/or studies that support that number and plenty to disprove that number. Try different things and learn to listen to your body.