rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What happens when you break 220 lbs?

This is not a facebook ripped physique type of thread, neither how much influence a good body has on women.
I wanna know if any of you guys went from skinny to really big and can currently squat and deadlift 500+
What kind of responses have you noticed from people after you have accomplished those goals?

I've never been 220 or lifted over 500, but I can offer some perspective on how people's responses change when you put on muscle. When I started lifting I was 17 and weighed something like 155 at 6' tall. Pretty skinny. I've got a thin frame and don't carry much fat. That being said, the biggest I've been is 205, which on my frame looks pretty big compared to most guys walking around. Big enough that people would regularly ask me if I was on the football team in college, for perspective.

The difference in the way people respond to you when you're walking around with an extra 50 lbs. of muscle on your frame is huge. People step out of your way. Guys pre-emptively nod at you in a show of respect. Women automatically assume you have significant alpha quality and shit test you much less. In general, people are much less likely to fuck with you, male and female alike.

I have heard that really big guys (NFL, WWE size, 230+) will actually get drunk guys fucking with them more, because a lot of drunk guys just feel like they have something to prove. That's never been an issue at my size though, because I'm rarely the biggest guy in the bar and not conspicuous looking like those really big dudes. Basically, I'm big enough to clearly be a threat, but not big enough to make for an epic story if you managed to kick my ass. There's nothing to gain by starting shit with a guy my size. So no one does. (The only time I can ever recall a random guy starting shit with me was a guy who was actually bigger than me, drunk out of his mind and who I had sort of just AMOGed).

If you squat and deadlift like you should, drunk women will occasionally open you by grabbing your ass, but otherwise being big means that most girls will be even more intimidated than usual about approaching you or signaling interest. You can try to pull off the "strong and silent" game, but it's definitely a fine line, and it's very easy to cross and end up scaring women off by accident. Better to be more friendly in my experience and let your muscle speak for itself.

Online game becomes much easier with some good pics. But it's still online and kind of a cesspool. Fat bitches will message you and tell you what a nice body you have and shit like that. MILFs will also be more into you, along with strippers. Basically, any chick who's in the "shallow" age range and more concerned with dick than your job (generally girls <22 and >35 who aren't looking for a provider) will automatically be more into you. I've found that mid-late 20s chicks are by far the least impressed by a nice physique, because at that age they're all about finding that bankroll more than anything else.

But basically, yes, there is a difference, and it's very noticeable. And it's worth the sacrifice. I think it behooves every man to put on and maintain as much muscle mass as he reasonably can. I'm currently sitting at 198 which I can easily maintain with 3 hours a week in the gym and a modest diet of approximately 2200-2500 calories a day. I wouldn't recommend guys go crazy and start doing roids and eating 8000 calories a day or anything like that. Just get as big as your frame will naturally allow you to maintain, that's where you will look and feel the best in my experience.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Quote: (01-25-2013 12:27 AM)scorpion Wrote:  

That's never been an issue at my size though, because I'm rarely the biggest guy in the bar and not conspicuous looking like those really big dudes. Basically, I'm big enough to clearly be a threat, but not big enough to make for an epic story if you managed to kick my ass. There's nothing to gain by starting shit with a guy my size. So no one does.
To be honest im not too far from your size ill probably break 200 within the next 2 months, im currently repping 315 on squats, 315x1 on bench and struggling with 350 on DL. So that makes me big to nongym goers, but still average to most of my friends.
Im more curious to see what happens when you take it to the next level.

Quote: (01-25-2013 01:21 AM)dog24 Wrote:  

That's never been an issue at my size though, because I'm rarely the biggest guy in the bar and not conspicuous looking like those really big dudes. Basically, I'm big enough to clearly be a threat, but not big enough to make for an epic story if you managed to kick my ass. There's nothing to gain by starting shit with a guy my size. So no one does.
To be honest im not too far from your size ill probably break 200 within the next 2 months, im currently repping 315 on squats, 315x1 on bench and struggling with 350 on DL. So that makes me big to nongym goers, but still average to most of my friends.

The thing is, no one outside of the gym is going to know what kind of numbers you put up. There are elite Olympic weightlifters and powerlifters who weigh 160 who can rep out 500 lb. squats, and there are beastly looking guys with bodybuilder physiques who never put more than 225 on the bar. Strength and muscle size are two different things. The only thing people respond to in the real world is your muscle size and definition. They don't know or care how much weight you can lift. They just know if your body looks strong and impressive or not. If you want to generate the maximum response from people, focus on bodybuilding specifically to build muscle, not to put up bigger numbers on your lifts. Personally I like to mix my training up with a bit of both. Remember, the most important thing of all is to watch your form, though, especially if you start getting into the heavy weight. All the muscle in the world means nothing if you fuck up your joints.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Quote: (01-25-2013 01:36 AM)scorpion Wrote:  

Quote: (01-25-2013 01:21 AM)dog24 Wrote:  

The thing is, no one outside of the gym is going to know what kind of numbers you put up. There are elite Olympic weightlifters and powerlifters who weigh 160 who can rep out 500 lb. squats, and there are beastly looking guys with bodybuilder physiques who never put more than 225 on the bar. Strength and muscle size are two different things. The only thing people respond to in the real world is your muscle size and definition. They don't know or care how much weight you can lift. They just know if your body looks strong and impressive or not. If you want to generate the maximum response from people, focus on bodybuilding specifically to build muscle, not to put up bigger numbers on your lifts. Personally I like to mix my training up with a bit of both. Remember, the most important thing of all is to watch your form, though, especially if you start getting into the heavy weight. All the muscle in the world means nothing if you fuck up your joints.

This. Becoming a good bodybuilder involves mastering the basic compound lifts and most of the powerlifting exercises anyway, so if you build a strong foundation using a proven program like Rippetoe's Starting Strength then you are in a perfect position to optimize either.

"Avoid success at all costs."

But basically, yes, there is a difference, and it's very noticeable. And it's worth the sacrifice. I think it behooves every man to put on and maintain as much muscle mass as he reasonably can. I'm currently sitting at 198 which I can easily maintain with 3 hours a week in the gym and a modest diet of approximately 2200-2500 calories a day. I wouldn't recommend guys go crazy and start doing roids and eating 8000 calories a day or anything like that. Just get as big as your frame will naturally allow you to maintain, that's where you will look and feel the best in my experience.

If this post doesn't make you want to hit the gym, I don't know what will.

*does some push ups after reading*

WIA

no one gives a fuck how much u squat or deadlift

huge dudes impress other dudes in the gym but the majority of girls think its disgusting-the huge bloated steroid bodybuilder look...

girls want lean ripped guys with definition and low body fat...nice arms, chest and number one abs

Quote: (01-25-2013 04:00 AM)garygroundwork Wrote:  

huge dudes impress other dudes in the gym but the majority of girls think its disgusting-the huge bloated steroid bodybuilder look...

girls want lean ripped guys with definition and low body fat...nice arms, chest and number one abs

Most girls prefer a lean body guy to approach them, so they wait.
The girls that like a meat head approach HIM.

I don't know about you, but I like having both options, and not just one.

WIA

My bench max is 330lbs at 170lbs bodyweight. Dudes are either impressed or jealous, they notice your build immediately, ask you for advice, tiny percent of them try some lame AMOGing etc.

Girls ABSOLUTELY don't care how much you squat, deadlift or bench. They mostly care about how you look with those muscles, how you stand out with those muscles, and how you use those muscles to ravage them in bed. My gf loves my build, hipster chicks love it because you stand up from their ironic herbs, metal girls think I am a guido so I catch some of them checking me out but they will never flirt with me in front of their metal friends, shy girls are often frozen in my company and it's really hard to open them up if they don't drink.

Where muscles find most success with the girls here is in the so called "turbo folk" culture. Girls who are into that are often sub 95 IQ, in slutty clothes, and looking for the flashiest muscleguy with a bottle of something fancy looking on the table. Basically, Balkan guidettes. Since Bosnia is pretty cheap, you can get a bottle of vodka with 5 red bulls for around 30-40€ in most places, so the girls will flock to you and it's up to you to run minimal game and bed them. Unfortunately, I don't prefer this and I only go to turbo folk clubs during dry spells.

[Image: 7VU23.jpg]

I care how much i squat and deadlift even if girls dont, and even if myofibrillar training does not equal sarcoplasmic hypertrophy
By the way how much do you weight right now?

Quote: (01-25-2013 05:25 AM)funkyzeit Wrote:  

My bench max is 330lbs at 170lbs bodyweight. Dudes are either impressed or jealous, they notice your build immediately, ask you for advice, tiny percent of them try some lame AMOGing etc.

Where muscles find most success with the girls here is in the so called "turbo folk" culture. Girls who are into that are often sub 95 IQ, in slutty clothes, and looking for the flashiest muscleguy with a bottle of something fancy looking on the table. Basically, Balkan guidettes. Since Bosnia is pretty cheap, you can get a bottle of vodka with 5 red bulls for around 30-40€ in most places, so the girls will flock to you and it's up to you to run minimal game and bed them. Unfortunately, I don't prefer this and I only go to turbo folk clubs during dry spells.
Do you think you will still get AMOGed if you were a bit bigger?
And the second part honestly sounds like too much stereotype to me, from what i read those guys just seem like plain old douchebags.

I graduated High school at about 165 and floated from there to 190ish for the next 2 years. Then I moved to the UK at about 180 and in the matter of 7 months I made it to 220 completely natural while eating tons of food... probably too much. It was roughly 6-7k calories a day(I counted but it was years ago). I then did an SD cycle and got up to 230.

Not much changes... you are you. But I guess a few things will change so here is what changed in my life
My face got fat
I got less girls
I had to shit 3x a day
I grew a very large ego
Gained respect from most men
Got some extremely nasty stretch marks..... bought all I can think of.

As for your friends "you got big dude" That's about it.

I'm a physically big looking guy but not that tall (6'0 exactly). I deadlifted yesterday with sumo grip and a thicker barbell 365 one rep. I also did back squats of 315 lbs for about 8 reps.

I've never gotten on a scale because I've ALWAYS had heavy bones which in turn makes me weigh much more than I actually look. People are usually off by like 30lbs just eyeballing me, even with a shirt off.

So a more accurate measure for me is BMI which I need to do soon.

I'm a relatively strong guy and a big guy but not pound for pound. I'm impressed by the type of guys who can lift heavy weight in relation to their body weight.

Quote: (01-25-2013 06:50 AM)dog24 Wrote:  

I care how much i squat and deadlift even if girls dont, and even if myofibrillar training does not equal sarcoplasmic hypertrophy
By the way how much do you weight right now?

I know you do...but like i said no one else gives a shit....

bout 215/220

I'm currently sitting at 198 which I can easily maintain with 3 hours a week in the gym and a modest diet of approximately 2200-2500 calories a day

That's very good to hear. Currently I'm on a paleo type diet eating 3500 cal to gain muscle mass and I'm thinking that keeping such a diet forever isn't very healthy. So you're telling me once you've built a shit load of muscles you don't need to eat much anymore?

I think I can give a good perspective of this. In high school I was 6'3 and 205lbs. Lot's of working out for hockey. When I left university I was 235 lbs after 4-5 years of hitting the gym non stop. After completely detaching my rotator cuff a few years ago and surgey I am now down to 200 lbs. Less than what I was in high school.

Some guys mentioned it above that the bigger you are the more nods and respect you will get from guys which definitely happened when I was 235. But what also came along with it is the amount of fights I got into. I am not one to look for trouble but if some piece of shit does something to me, I don't hesitate to throw down. I can't tell you how many times some short guy would walk up to me and bump into me when he had the whole bar to walk around. Or how many guys would under their breath say " steroids " as I walked by. Obviously they have no idea what kind of sacrifices I made to get into that kind of shape. Anyways I never took kindly to either of those actions so I used to bust a lot of faces when I was younger.

After I lost a lot of my upper body muscle I haven't been in too many altercations. Could also be because I am a little more grown up and take into consideration jail time and broken hands.

As for women, it really hasn't changed for me. I got a lot of girls back then and I get a lot of girls now. I have even infiltrated the fitness girl circles around Western Canada since I have lost all this muscle. I am still in good shape though, I am far from a soft 200 lbs. I think that proves that there are far more important factors for picking up women than just having a big muscles. As for your stats of what you can do in the gym, no one really cares. If i see someone about to do a super heavy lift I watch one rep just to see his form and if he can actually do it. But other than that I don't care what I lift or what my friends lift. I don't think I have ever had a girl ask me what I bench, DL or squat. It is all about the appearance. So if you look strong most guys will leave you alone and most girls will be into you. But you don't want to get to carried away and pack on extra fat as well so you can be the strongest guy in the gym. Most chicks don't dig guys with bloated faces and no neck. Not to mention their gut extends past their chest.

" I'M NOT A CHRONIC CUNT LICKER "

Canada, where the women wear pants and the men wear skinny jeans

Quote: (01-25-2013 10:10 AM)Pappy Wrote:  

I'm currently sitting at 198 which I can easily maintain with 3 hours a week in the gym and a modest diet of approximately 2200-2500 calories a day

That's very good to hear. Currently I'm on a paleo type diet eating 3500 cal to gain muscle mass and I'm thinking that keeping such a diet forever isn't very healthy. So you're telling me once you've built a shit load of muscles you don't need to eat much anymore?

The main reason you have to consume all those extra calories when bulking is because your body has to physically build the muscle from the macronutrients in your food. Without a caloric surplus your body simply can't expend the energy required to grow a significant amount of muscle tissue. But once you have grown that muscle, you only have to consume the additional amount of calories required to fuel it, which is less than you need while bulking. So yeah, you won't have to eat as much once you hit your goal.

Of course, you also have to keep up with regular workouts or the muscle will disappear. Earlier this year I moved and was out of the gym for approximately a month. In that time I dropped almost 10 lbs. That sucked. Took me almost 3 months to get it back. Your body is very efficient. It won't waste the energy to maintain a surplus of muscle mass if it isn't being regularly and strenuously utilized. It's definitely "use it or lose it" when it comes to muscle.

I'm curious why the op started this thread. Are you trying to gauge whether you're getting as many fist bumps as the other big dudes or what?

Quote: (01-25-2013 12:39 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

I'm curious why the op started this thread. Are you trying to gauge whether you're getting as many fist bumps as the other big dudes or what?
I have been working out on and off for 7 years now, reaching that goal seems like something most guys never get to accomplish.
Proof is all all the views this thread has had and only 3 guys saying they have been there. And i am sure that pretty much all the members work out.

I mean if you have done something that most guys never will, im guessing you must get some type of response.

Anyways im hoping ill get there by december, thanks for all the replies.

And this is just a personal goal of mine, i dont care if i end up getting less girls or guys want to fight me even more.

In reply to OP:

I went from 172 --> 214lbs, and lifts went up to the following values ( not measured at the start):
Deadlift: 360 for a couple of reps
Bench: 242 for 4 reps
Squat: 315 for 3 reps

Basically I went from skinny-athletic to Rugby center/back-row look.

Differences:

-Mainly internal, i.e. how I felt about myself. Felt awesome. Loved being big and heavier. Loved being pumped with testosterone from all the heavy lifting and chugging calories

-Maybe just my perception, but guys would fuck with me a little less. I could "throw my weight around". I just looked less "fuck-with-able". Although this could just have been confidence.

-Sometimes I'd pull girls who loved my body. But they didnt mention it or get obviously hot for it until I'd already pulled them back to my room and taken my shirt off and was smashing them. Girls approached me occasionally for "some reason", but they still do that. Who knows how many girls were into me loads for my body but didnt say. My results back then, as now, depend mainly on the action I take and what state Im in, so I think being huge wasn't a big factor in drawing the chix.

The ONE time I had a noticable impact JUST from my body was right after the gym at my biggest, in a tight T-shirt. A 30-something black woman came up to me to feel my arms and was basically hinting heavily that I should bang her.

I also had the occasional MILF get all frisky around me in malls, supermarkets etc. I think I looked like I fit the MILF fantasy of the Rugby "bit of rough" stereotype that older english women have. This was not much the case for younger girls (although I did get IOIs, but not any more than now when I'm just lean-athletic).

Conclusion: Made me feel awesome, guys were a lil more wary of me, and the occasional ropey old milf would eye-fuck me.

Conclusion for social impacts: Negligible advantages over being lean and goodlooking.

Im 6'2 175lbs now. Half-Asian. Big Frame. Sub-10% fat w/decent musculature. Girls give me eyes when I have my shirt off. Touch my body after banging. Tell me I look sexy.

All in all- no problems yet.

At 205, guys would run out of my way. It was kind of funny. Had a litte bit more pudge around the face though. Less physical eye-fucking.

220 is massively swole if you don't have a big gut. I would worry less about the weight, and more about the mirror. How do you look? Are you abs showing, when you flex do your muscles show/separate, can you throw around your girl w/ease.

No girl cares about your weight, unless you are super skinny or super fat. Thats my thoughts.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Please don't work out more than average by expecting to get more attention at bars.

If I've seen muscular guys with hot girls at least once in a while, I would be motivated to hit the gym more often. that's not the case.

I see attractive girls with guys who are shorter and skinnier than me all the time and I am ASIAN LOL

let me put it this way. i'm 6'4 250. at 220 lbs i'd be 12% body fat. nobody fucks with me, ever. girls come up to me and say things like, 'oooh you're like a jungle gym' and start grabbing on me. 120 lb bitches fly through the air onto my shoulder like nothing. dudes get out of my way when i walk down the street. crowds part to make way. if the question is, is it better to be bigger? then the answer is yes without a doubt.

however, i'm at the end of this bulking cycle and am now cutting to get back to a lean weight. my face is fatter than i would like and i can tell that i get much more positive reception from women at low bf.

i'll let you know when i get there (around april).

last time i was at 12% body fat I was about 190 lbs. (three years ago)

so this should be a major change from that.

PS: I dont recommend going about bulking the way I did over the last couple of years. at around 200 lbs I decided to do GOMAD and ate everything in sight and lifted big big big. then after about 6 months of that i've eating heavy paleo and continued to lift big. i have gained a ton of muscle weight (around 20-25 lbs per DEXA scan) but now I have this big cut to do. If i had to do it all over again, I would have traded much slower muscle gains to keep myself more lean. but whatever, i did gain all that muscle weight and I will be lean again!

Strength and muscle size are two different things. The only thing people respond to in the real world is your muscle size and definition. They don't know or care how much weight you can lift. They just know if your body looks strong and impressive or not. If you want to generate the maximum response from people, focus on bodybuilding specifically to build muscle, not to put up bigger numbers on your lifts.

Can someone expand on this? I really want to add on more muscle size and definition. I'm currently doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program and actually love it. I find it cool that I can lift this much coming from being very weak.

But I do see a lot of other guys doing it and some are just bulky/fat but super strong. I have no interest in this. Yet I see other ripped guys doing isolation exercises like bicep curls on machines. So now I'm confused.

I'll just be honest, I prefer aesthetics over how strong I am. Is Stronglifts the wrong program?

Quote: (01-26-2013 11:56 AM)slubu Wrote:  

Strength and muscle size are two different things. The only thing people respond to in the real world is your muscle size and definition. They don't know or care how much weight you can lift. They just know if your body looks strong and impressive or not. If you want to generate the maximum response from people, focus on bodybuilding specifically to build muscle, not to put up bigger numbers on your lifts.

Can someone expand on this? I really want to add on more muscle size and definition. I'm currently doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program and actually love it. I find it cool that I can lift this much coming from being very weak.

But I do see a lot of other guys doing it and some are just bulky/fat but super strong. I have no interest in this. Yet I see other ripped guys doing isolation exercises like bicep curls on machines. So now I'm confused.

I'll just be honest, I prefer aesthetics over how strong I am. Is Stronglifts the wrong program?

In my personal experience having been trained by some great trainers for hockey and going about body building on my own, I much prefer olympic lifts and circuit training. I find that not only am I stronger but I feel really good when I get out of bed. I feel like I don't need to warm up to move a couch around or have a quick wrestling match with my brother or friends. When I was doing more of the body building years ago, I always felt sore and tight. I didn't feel explosive and I also felt I lost a little balance. For example just walking down the street sometimes I felt I could trip and fall.

I also noticed with doing the olympic lifts I especially liked my aesthetics. Everything seemed to grow at the same rate. Not to mention I had way better calf definition and my abs were absolutely shredded. I think people don't realize how much definition you can gain in your abs from olympic lifting. They are pretty much composed of fast twitch muscles that need to be worked with explosive force coupled with low reps and high weight.

I have used this program before and I used to do similar things before I even came across it.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_arti...f_fat_fast

" I'M NOT A CHRONIC CUNT LICKER "

Canada, where the women wear pants and the men wear skinny jeans