rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Squats - unusual side effect?

I finally bit the bullet and added squats to my usual workout routine (decided to stop neglecting legs, hoping to get some more of that sweet HGH into my bloodstream).

2 results happened after a full nights sleep:

1. I have a profound soreness. This is expected, and it's one of the greatest feelings I've ever had after working out. A deep soreness that I am confident means muscle is growing.

2. I have a hunger that cannot be stopped. Is this normal? I've googled around, and some people seem to experience this, but with no real reasoning as to why.

Is this the experience of you guys? When I mean hunger, I mean a full meal of eggs, sausage, fruit cup and 2 pieces of wheat toast didn't even put a dent into it. 2 hours later, a protein shake. Then a full dinner, with constant snacking on peanuts/peanut butter. Nothing would make the hunger go away. And if this is your experience, any thoughts on why this is the case? It seems like a stretch to say it's burning THAT many calories.

Your body is craving protein to repair the muscle fiber you tore up squatting.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

You'll be fine mate. Your body is releasing more testosterone because you're working the biggest muscles in your body. You'll get adjusted to it.

Quote: (01-22-2013 10:05 PM)ryanf Wrote:  

1. I have a profound soreness. This is expected, and it's one of the greatest feelings I've ever had after working out. A deep soreness that I am confident means muscle is growing.

Yes, if you're just starting out with them it takes 2-4 weeks before you're not incredibly sore for a few days. It does go away though and becomes like working out any other muscle group.

Quote: (01-22-2013 10:05 PM)ryanf Wrote:  

2. I have a hunger that cannot be stopped. Is this normal? I've googled around, and some people seem to experience this, but with no real reasoning as to why.

Squats and deadlifts produce the strongest hormonal response of all exercises. It's your endocrine system telling you that you need to eat lots of food so you have sufficient protein, nutrients, etc. to repair and build the muscle, tissue, etc. If you haven't experienced such hunger before you haven't really been working out.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

Quote: (01-22-2013 10:31 PM)vinman Wrote:  

Your body is craving protein to repair the muscle fiber you tore up squatting.

Agreed.

Heavy compound movements such as squats and deadlifts burn the most calories and require the most energy from your body. That deep soreness you feel sucks but a good feeling to know your actually doing something. For me that soreness has lessened as my body has become accustomed to doing squats so its not as bad.

The worst day is normally 2 days after you do legs so plan accordingly lol

Soma and MattC have it right.

Compound leg exercises, by virtue of utilizing several of the largest muscles in your body, will unleash a torrent of testosterone (especially if you've been neglecting your legs until now), which has a pretty profound impact on metabolism and appetite; for instance, steroid users often report nearly insatiable cravings for sweet foods and other fast carbs.
Just keep stuffing your face with lean meats, wholesome carbs, adequate protein, stay religious with the squats, and prepare to be blown away by the results!
You'll likely notice substantial size gains throughout the rest of your body in the coming weeks to months.

Have you thought about deadlifts as well?
If you don't do them already, they're a very good compliment for squats, and a nearly essential addition to a whole body strength routine, and they'll help propel your endocrine system into an even bigger frenzy.

How is this unusual? Better than hemmroids. Man up.

Another side effect of squats: being able to throw girls around on the bed and fuck them so hard their pussy hurts for days afterwards.

Should the voracious protein craving be satisfied?

I've recently upped the weights and an hour after my workout sees me rummaging throught he pantry even though I know my stomach is full and I've had enogh nutrients?

Is it OK to exercise willpower and not eat?

Weird side effect- testosterone oozes from my pores and woman are starting to take notice of me. I feel much stronger in the sense of functional strength. I've become a man. Due to my enhanced physique my confidence has soared and now I have the ability to talk to women.

Probably better to eat more than you need and gain a little extra, than eat less than you need and not gain as much as you could...
Worst case scenario, you might put on a little bit of fat that you can drop later through a cutting cycle. Plus, if you're eating clean, your fat gains should be rather minimal.

You really need to deadlift too imo, my favourite compound exercise

Squats give me boners. Leg Day is dreaded but I feel so happy and depleted after its a sadistic feeling that soreness.. I am addicted to it. I crushed my legs yesterday and I have the grin and smirk on my face which would just be below the satisfaction smirk from pipping two sexy Egyptian broads back to back.

Do you all split your Deadlifts and Squats or do them the same day?

I do squats every day I work out. That hunger is normal. I typically eat around 5 full meals those days, but that's because I'm trying to gain weight. Once I hit my target weight, or about 5 lb over, then I'll bring in the HIIT and IF to cut down the bodyfat %.

I've never done a blind side-by-side comparison of using supplements vs. not using them, but I do use them, creatine, beta alanine, zinc, arginine. I'll experience some soreness the day after but your body gets used to it.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Quote: (01-23-2013 01:32 PM)kosko Wrote:  

Squats give me boners. Leg Day is dreaded but I feel so happy and depleted after its a sadistic feeling that soreness.. I am addicted to it. I crushed my legs yesterday and I have the grin and smirk on my face which would just be below the satisfaction smirk from pipping two sexy Egyptian broads back to back.

Do you all split your Deadlifts and Squats or do them the same day?

I do mine on the same day as well as seated and standing calf raises plus leg extensions

My legs go to jelly after this lot, love it.

Quote: (01-23-2013 01:33 AM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Another side effect of squats: being able to throw girls around on the bed and fuck them so hard their pussy hurts for days afterwards.

Yep, when it comes to ransacking that pussy, it all comes from the legs. deadlifts also help to develop the glutes, which the chicas cannot keep their hands off.

Never did many squats or deadlifts. Quite pleased with my sexual performance now, think I'll start a proper lifting programme to take my physique and fucking skills to the next level.

Really strange that you have the insatiable hunger. All I get is usual side effects like a finger growing out of my head.

In all seriousness though, squats & deadlifts simply have no substitute. I'm definitely in the camp that says if you're not deadlifting and squating, you're really just not lifting.

Just make sure you are absolutely OBSESSIVE about your form. When I first started squating, I did over 3 weeks with just the bar, tweaking my movements until I was 100% sure I was doing it properly.

Too many benefits to be listed.

My favorite is probably just the constant awareness of posture and proper walking form that it gives you. When you learn to walk being propelled by your glutes rather than leaning slightly forward like 90+% of guys, you really start feeling like a boss with your gait.

And the difference in body language is noticeable almost immediately to women, and you will certainly notice the reaction.

Muscle soreness from exhaustive or strenuous activity is called DOMS, and it's a good indicator your body is trying to limit your mobility so it can more easily rebuild itself afterward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_ons...e_soreness

One thing I noticed when I picked up doing heavy squats and deadlifts was that I started breaking out on my face and back - worse than when I was a teenager. I managed to get that in control by wearing a clean t shirt to bed, a clean undershirt daily, washing my pillowcases every few days, using a new towel ever other day and a separate clean towel for the gym, and not drying my hair with my towel first, and when I do dry my hair with my towel, I always use the ends of the towel and never use the ends of the towel on my face or back.

Quote: (01-23-2013 02:54 PM)Fatless Wrote:  

Muscle soreness from exhaustive or strenuous activity is called DOMS, and it's a good indicator your body is trying to limit your mobility so it can more easily rebuild itself afterward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_ons...e_soreness

One thing I noticed when I picked up doing heavy squats and deadlifts was that I started breaking out on my face and back - worse than when I was a teenager. I managed to get that in control by wearing a clean t shirt to bed, a clean undershirt daily, washing my pillowcases every few days, using a new towel ever other day and a separate clean towel for the gym, and not drying my hair with my towel first, and when I do dry my hair with my towel, I always use the ends of the towel and never use the ends of the towel on my face or back.

Same here with the zits. I have almost instanteous break-out after I start squating again, but just on my BACK.

Glad to see these tips. I'm going to try these out. I really don't care much about the zits, except that they can be a little painful if something has to touch my back (especially the squat bar).

Quote:Quote:

Just make sure you are absolutely OBSESSIVE about your form. When I first started squating, I did over 3 weeks with just the bar, tweaking my movements until I was 100% sure I was doing it properly.

Listen to Technics guys. This is probably the best piece of advice that you'll get. Leave your ego at the door and learn the craft of lifting properly. You will be rewarded 10 fold and avoid injuries. Remember, perfect form and PROGRESSIVE overload builds muscle and strength, not heavy weights and crap technique.

Guys I was getting the spots too until I started taking zinc supps - cleared them up completely.

One unusual side effect of throwing heavy weights around is feeling like a fucking man.

It's too bad most don't get to experience this eye opening.

Quote: (01-22-2013 11:14 PM)Ziltoid Wrote:  

Soma and MattC have it right.

Compound leg exercises, by virtue of utilizing several of the largest muscles in your body, will unleash a torrent of testosterone (especially if you've been neglecting your legs until now), which has a pretty profound impact on metabolism and appetite; for instance, steroid users often report nearly insatiable cravings for sweet foods and other fast carbs.
Just keep stuffing your face with lean meats, wholesome carbs, adequate protein, stay religious with the squats, and prepare to be blown away by the results!
You'll likely notice substantial size gains throughout the rest of your body in the coming weeks to months.

Have you thought about deadlifts as well?
If you don't do them already, they're a very good compliment for squats, and a nearly essential addition to a whole body strength routine, and they'll help propel your endocrine system into an even bigger frenzy.

Makes sense that it's simply the body craving nutrients for rebuilding. I was surprised at how deep the hunger went. As far as the soreness, it's a fantastic feeling, not unusual at all.

Quote: (01-23-2013 01:08 PM)lush1 Wrote:  

You really need to deadlift too imo, my favourite compound exercise

I'm going to add those in as well. I have a buddy who used to be a cross-fit trainer who goes with me once every two weeks. We worked enough squats that I trust being able to do them without assistance now, my form is *almost* solid. Deadlifts, I sucked terribly at first. I won't work them again without his aid on the form.

Quote: (01-23-2013 02:17 PM)Technics Wrote:  

Really strange that you have the insatiable hunger. All I get is usual side effects like a finger growing out of my head.

HAHA very nice

Quote: (01-23-2013 03:38 PM)IRTdenialist Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

Listen to Technics guys. This is probably the best piece of advice that you'll get. Leave your ego at the door and learn the craft of lifting properly. You will be rewarded 10 fold and avoid injuries. Remember, perfect form and PROGRESSIVE overload builds muscle and strength, not heavy weights and crap technique.

I'm fairly confident in my form. I had a little soreness in my lower back today, so I know it wasn't perfect. I'll hopefully be able to correct that.