rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Laptop Scam - Real Hustle

I just discovered this show, The Real Hustle.

Since there are many travellers on this forum, I thought I'd share this clip about how you can be hustled from your belongings at a security check point. I thought it was interesting:

People have fallen for even dumber scams, so I can see this working. It might be staged somewhat but the lesson is still relevant: never take your eyes off your stuff. My dad had his stuff stolen at a busy international airport once, not by going through a checkpoint but by turning his back on his stuff for a minute while he was reading flight times.

Quote: (01-17-2013 09:59 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I just discovered this show, The Real Hustle.

Since there are many travellers on this forum, I thought I'd share this clip about how you can be hustled from your belongings at a security check point. I thought it was interesting:

People have fallen for even dumber scams, so I can see this working. It might be staged somewhat but the lesson is still relevant: never take your eyes off your stuff. My dad had his stuff stolen at a busy international airport once, not by going through a checkpoint but by turning his back on his stuff for a minute while he was reading flight times.

In the US you have to take your laptop out of the bag and put it in a plastic bin. It would be pretty hard to pull it off. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but very hard.

All I'm noticing is that these guys didn't take off their shoes, get blasted with radioactive rays, or have their testicles persistently fluffed up by a guy with rubber gloves. Just how backward is airport security in the UK?

[Image: american.gif]

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Quote: (01-17-2013 10:09 AM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

All I'm noticing is that these guys didn't take off their shoes, get blasted with radioactive rays, or have their testicles persistently fluffed up by a guy with rubber gloves. Just how backward is airport security in the UK?

[Image: american.gif]

I don't know why I didn't notice that. You have to take off shoes, belt, and everything. Yeah, the second guy didn't take off anything due to the scam, but the first guy only took his jacket off.

I can't see the video, but in the UK you have to take your belt off only on the rare occasion do your shoes have to come off, all jackets/coats/blazers and your laptop has to be taken out of any bag its in and put into the tray.

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Seems like a tall order to have an identical laptop bag.

I can see this being done where there's valuable data on the laptop or where there's another good reason to target a specific one (eg. install spyware before returning it to lost & found). That scenario also lets the thief prepare the correct bag in advance. As a way to steal a random laptop to resell it looks way too risky and involved for your average crook.

That show is well worth watching for any international playboy though. Will give you lots of scams to be wary of on your travels.

Edit - damn, Bojangles, your avatar keeps reminding me of OKCupid.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

^Exactly. How many thieves have access to a warehouse of laptop bags at the airport?

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Quote: (01-17-2013 10:21 AM)Caligula Wrote:  

Seems like a tall order to have an identical laptop bag.

I can see this being done where there's valuable data on the laptop or where there's another good reason to target a specific one (eg. install spyware before returning it to lost & found). That scenario also lets the thief prepare the correct bag in advance. As a way to steal a random laptop to resell it looks way too risky and involved for your average crook.

That show is well worth watching for any international playboy though. Will give you lots of scams to be wary of on your travels.

Edit - damn, Bojangles, your avatar keeps reminding me of OKCupid.
I don't know why but I'm just not a fan of the show. Some of it is good stuff but a lot of it just seems made up to fill it out

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

That segment is bullshit