rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Packing list

Packing list

A big mistake I made when I packed for international traveling is that I thought foreign countries had everything the USA had, only cheaper. Nothing could be further from the truth. Travelers should be aware that sizes are often too small, quality is worse, counterfeits are abundant, prices are often MORE expensive, and countries just simply don't have what you want outside of the US.

I am not super tall, but there have been times when I have tried on long-sleeve XXXXL shirts in 3rd world countries in Asia that didn't even reach my wrists. I often can't find size 10 shoes. You can't even buy deodorant or aspirin in China! Forget looking for English books and good luck finding a laundromat in places like the Philippines, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia or China.

Western food is difficult to find, too. I mostly eat locally, but sometimes I get homesick. Even looking for simple products like mustard in some countries is an exercise in frustration.

I also want to warn travelers to pack a coat for cold weather and mountain climbing. Not every country has tropical weather.

http://perpetualtravel.com/rtw/rtwpacklist.html

Believe it or not, but I would rather pack too much, than too little. You can't always buy what you need on the road. Westerners complain about how tough they have it, but they are blessed with abundance.

What do you pack for foreign travel?

Packing list

Posted about this yesterday: http://www.rooshv.com/travel-packing-checklist

Packing list

Quote: (05-01-2010 03:26 AM)weblinks Wrote:  

A big mistake I made when I packed for international traveling is that I thought foreign countries had everything the USA had, only cheaper. Nothing could be further from the truth. Travelers should be aware that sizes are often too small, quality is worse, counterfeits are abundant, prices are often MORE expensive, and countries just simply don't have what you want outside of the US.

I am not super tall, but there have been times when I have tried on long-sleeve XXXXL shirts in 3rd world countries in Asia that didn't even reach my wrists. I often can't find size 10 shoes. You can't even buy deodorant or aspirin in China! Forget looking for English books and good luck finding a laundromat in places like the Philippines, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia or China.

Western food is difficult to find, too. I most eat locally, but sometimes I get homesick. Even looking for simple products like mustard in some countries is an exercise in frustration.

I also want to warn travelers to pack a coat for cold weather and mountain climbing. Not every country has tropical weather.

http://perpetualtravel.com/rtw/rtwpacklist.html

Believe it or not, but I would rather pack too much, than too little. You can't always buy what you need on the road. Westerners complain about how tough they have it, but they are blessed with abundance.

What do you pack for foreign travel?

Funny, i found all these things you mention as cant finding within 5 min of walking into any decently populated areas anywhere I've gone.

I love the American sense of entitlement. Everyone should be like us, and do everything i do. This post just reeks of it, and ignorance. Isn't the point of traveling internationally to step outside the world you know and find something else? Or do you do it the Chinese way, take a few photos at land marks, and then bitch the whole trip, then go back home show off the pics and brag about how awesome it was that you are rich enough to go somewhere else?

Common sense man. If Asians tend to be smaller then westerns, it should be expected that the stores will cater to the majority of it's customers. Mustard inst a common product in Asia, so you might need to think a bit of where to get it. Maybe if you don't speak the language, and you know, don't bother to ask anyone who speaks yours i can see your issues there. Their stores carry what the local people want. Sorry, big western money doesn't really mean shit to the shop owner who sees maybe 10 a year, and 100,000 locals.

Simply put, you aren't meant to travel. You can't seem to accept that the world isn't the same as home. Do your traveling inside your home country, I'm sure there is plenty for you to see and do without leaving your tiny comfort bubble.

Packing for travel tho i do agree with you. I over-pack everything, simply because I like to be prepared. For example, I'm going to Yunnan and Sichuan next week, which is in the middle of a drought. You can bet I'm packing a crap load of all the basics and extra bottles of water. Weight isn't really an issue unless you are backpacking, with taxis, planes, trains. If for nothing else, give yourself a few extra sets of clothes in case a flight is canceled or something major comes up while you are away (medically).

Also, just a crazy idea. You do know that most hotels (surprise, even in third world countries) have running water and soap? Why not wash your own clothes by hand?

@Roosh
Good list with the socks thing. Something i only learned myself a year ago. No idea why, but it is so true.

Packing list

OK, I'm resurrecting this thread to offer some "ALTERNATIVE" packing items to compliment Roosh's.

The Naughty Nomad Travel Kit.

[Image: whip.gif]

Packing list

Condoms in asia for sure. Size is an issue for the local brand (not trying to brag but some of them just dont plain fit) as well as breakages. Always bring your own with you.