rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Black in Brazil

Black in Brazil

I am an African-American dude planning on going to Brazil to live for a minute. Any suggestions on good places to go and live there? I am a booty man, with a moderate bankroll, college educated, love to party, very beginner Portuguese skills right now. Any and all suggestions, anecdotes, advice is appreciated.

Black in Brazil

How long will you be staying? Last time I was in Brazil was 05 or 06. I stayed a couple months in Rio, a little in Sao Paulo, and about 3 months in Curitiba. I loved Rio because of the acai juice bars, the girls, the sun, the beaches, everything. At that time I was very conversational as I had taken 4 semesters of college level portuguese. Curitiba back then was more european in nature. They had a pretty good public transport system, and girls were a little more conservative.

I was training jiu jitsu and partying mostly. Being black in Brazil? My dad has a friend who lives in a posh neighborhood in Sao Paolo (Jardins) who sent his kids to elite english speaking high schools in Sao Paolo. So we had a night out it was 2 korean brazilian girls, me, and one italian-brazilian. All three had traveled and were upper-crust society. We passed a black homeless guy and the italian-brazilian said something to the effect of "he's black just ignore him".

In Brazil, poverty is linked to race. These kinds of ignorant statements are said all the time and nobody is called out. At least 6 years ago they weren't. It's more part of the fabric of their culture. People who are considered black here would consider themselves morena, "cor de mel", mulatta, etc. Very rarely would you ever come across someone who identifies as "negra" unless she was wesley snipes black.

I think Brazil has a deep deep issue with class, though and that ties in with race. I was asking one dude his name, and with his last name he had to tell me the origins of his mothers last name and his fathers last name like it was something special to be half italian and half spanish. Just came off as weird to me. Race is a complicated issue in Brazil.

They never had a full on civil rights movement in Brazil like we had in the US. That said, being American and having money trumps race over there. There are respected black people in the media, but I believe the vast majority of politicians are what Brazilians would consider white. But any racial comments you would come across in Brazil is very light hearted and they don't expect any offense to be taken.

For example, almost every jiu jitsu gym I trained at, I was nicknamed "japa" as in japanese. I would set them straight and say "nao sou japones, sou coreano". Then they would be like "AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY COREANO" and we'd all laugh.

Anyways, I hope you have a great time there. There is nothing to worry about if you are an American. You won't be looked down upon. There were Brazilian blacks who were in the upscale clubs I went to that are probably closed down now, but I'll throw the two hottest clubs when I was there. In Rio, = Nute(not sure of the spelling but it was pronounced Nooitch) in Barra da Tijuca and Baronetti in Ipanema. Hottest girls but also hardest to pull. But you'll be more likely to find people who speak english at those two clubs because they are expensive to get into. If they're still open I would love you to come back so I can read how those places are now. The drive from Copacabana/Ipanema to Barra da Tijuca is a long ass cab ride so be prepared to pay a hefty fee. Also try the PUC-Rio campus. Just call it "pookie" to the cab driver and he'll know. It is also pretty far from Copa/Ipanema and you'd have to fabricate a reason to be there. Try their website they give Portugese Language courses.

http://www.puc-rio.br/ensinopesq/ccci/estconv.html

In Sao Paolo, Vila Olimpica or Olimpia I forget the exact name of the neighborhood is nothing but clubs. It was awesome but lines are long.

Curitiba I was training hardcore so I went out maybe once or twice. I couldn't give you exact names but I do remember an area filled with restaurants and bars. Went to Belnearo Camboriu or however you spell it in Santa Catarena for New Years and that was off the fuckin chain. It's like a mini-ibiza party island type of vibe. It has super clubs that bring in big name dj's. I remember Morillo and Fatboy Slim were down there and girls are hot and down to fuck because they're on vacation. Pulled the hottest girl I ever did in Brazil out of Space down there. It's very hard to get around without a car, though.

Hope this helps

Black in Brazil

double post

Black in Brazil

Define moderate bankroll... Most of the hot spots in Brazil are mad expensive these days (Rio, Sao Paulo, and Florinapolis), especially if you want to live in a hip neighborhood like Ipanema. I was in Rio about 3 years ago and just got private rooms in hostels, but you might be able to find a decently priced apartments in a more middle class area like Copacabana or Botafago. When I was there I went with some guys from Sao Paulo to check out some other neighborhoods a little farther out which weren't quite the most happening parts of town, but were clean, safe, and still had nice neighborhood cafes and bars, can't remember the name though.

There seems to be some racial divisions, mostly based on class stratification, but I'd say as long as you aren't shooting for rich upperclass white Brazilians you should be able to pull black and mixed (mestizo) women with no problem. I've never been but maybe look into the North East, Natal, Recife, Salvador, etc. There's a bit of intel on Belo Horizontal and Vitoria, which sound like they are absolutely stacked with hot women, but might require more time, Portuguese, and social circle to have a good shot.

Black in Brazil

Black in Brazil

I lived in Sao Paulo a couple years ago. In Sao Paulo there is a neighborhood called Vila Madelena that has some bars and clubs. There are two hip hop clubs there that have a lot of attractive morenas, mullatas, and black girls. From my observation it seemed like the black dudes did pretty well there. The name of the clubs are Dolores bar and Joy. You might have more of an advantage if you are a black American too. I went to Joy with International Swagger who is a fellow board member and he pulled a very good looking black girl. I'm a white dude and I noticed I do way better in clubs that play electronic music or with whiter brazilian girls. I didn't do to well in the hip hop clubs in SP.

It's funny what Ugslayer was saying about how Brazilian people will greet you sometimes by your ethnicity. I'm a white dude with blue eyes so the guys that worked at the restaurant near my place would always say "Oi alemão" . That literally means "Hi German" but they call people this with caucasian features. Also if you are a big black dude they might say "Oi negão"(Hi big black guy). When you put the ão on the end of some words it means big. Also if they call you gringo it is not meant in an offensive way.

Black in Brazil

A lot of broughams go to Salvador Bahia instead of the other cities to take part in the vibrant Afro-Brazilia culture.

Good luck and keep us updated

Black in Brazil

The club was called Nuth, not Nute.

Black in Brazil

outside of africa and the us, brazil has one of the biggest populations of blacks. you should be in heaven if you like black girls.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

Black in Brazil

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-5209.html

Black in Brazil

Come to SP, but just don't go to Vila Olímpia. Please.
Maybe Itaim Bibi... And still...
For black people: Sambarylove (dont' go by yourself), Joy, Dolores, Mary Pop (donSamba school reharsals at Mocidade Alegre, Vai Vai, Rosas de Ouro (I dont like, but... still...),

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

Black in Brazil

Quote: (01-13-2013 11:52 PM)Mrs. Chocolate Wrote:  

For black people: Sambarylove (dont' go by yourself), Joy, Dolores, Mary Pop (donSamba school reharsals at Mocidade Alegre, Vai Vai, Rosas de Ouro (I dont like, but... still...),

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

Black in Brazil

Quote: (01-13-2013 11:55 PM)Mrs. Chocolate Wrote:  

Do you have any more pictures of your cousin and his girls? Or just of Authentic Rio girls in general? i remember you had a picture of him with a hot girl!

Black in Brazil

Why do you recommend not going to Vila Olimpia?

Black in Brazil

Quote: (01-13-2013 01:08 AM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

How long will you be staying? Last time I was in Brazil was 05 or 06. I stayed a couple months in Rio, a little in Sao Paulo, and about 3 months in Curitiba. I loved Rio because of the acai juice bars, the girls, the sun, the beaches, everything. At that time I was very conversational as I had taken 4 semesters of college level portuguese. Curitiba back then was more european in nature. They had a pretty good public transport system, and girls were a little more conservative.

I was training jiu jitsu and partying mostly. Being black in Brazil? My dad has a friend who lives in a posh neighborhood in Sao Paolo (Jardins) who sent his kids to elite english speaking high schools in Sao Paolo. So we had a night out it was 2 korean brazilian girls, me, and one italian-brazilian. All three had traveled and were upper-crust society. We passed a black homeless guy and the italian-brazilian said something to the effect of "he's black just ignore him".

In Brazil, poverty is linked to race. These kinds of ignorant statements are said all the time and nobody is called out. At least 6 years ago they weren't. It's more part of the fabric of their culture. People who are considered black here would consider themselves morena, "cor de mel", mulatta, etc. Very rarely would you ever come across someone who identifies as "negra" unless she was wesley snipes black.

I think Brazil has a deep deep issue with class, though and that ties in with race. I was asking one dude his name, and with his last name he had to tell me the origins of his mothers last name and his fathers last name like it was something special to be half italian and half spanish. Just came off as weird to me. Race is a complicated issue in Brazil.

They never had a full on civil rights movement in Brazil like we had in the US. That said, being American and having money trumps race over there. There are respected black people in the media, but I believe the vast majority of politicians are what Brazilians would consider white. But any racial comments you would come across in Brazil is very light hearted and they don't expect any offense to be taken.

For example, almost every jiu jitsu gym I trained at, I was nicknamed "japa" as in japanese. I would set them straight and say "nao sou japones, sou coreano". Then they would be like "AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY COREANO" and we'd all laugh.

Anyways, I hope you have a great time there. There is nothing to worry about if you are an American. You won't be looked down upon. There were Brazilian blacks who were in the upscale clubs I went to that are probably closed down now, but I'll throw the two hottest clubs when I was there. In Rio, = Nute(not sure of the spelling but it was pronounced Nooitch) in Barra da Tijuca and Baronetti in Ipanema. Hottest girls but also hardest to pull. But you'll be more likely to find people who speak english at those two clubs because they are expensive to get into. If they're still open I would love you to come back so I can read how those places are now. The drive from Copacabana/Ipanema to Barra da Tijuca is a long ass cab ride so be prepared to pay a hefty fee. Also try the PUC-Rio campus. Just call it "pookie" to the cab driver and he'll know. It is also pretty far from Copa/Ipanema and you'd have to fabricate a reason to be there. Try their website they give Portugese Language courses.

http://www.puc-rio.br/ensinopesq/ccci/estconv.html

In Sao Paolo, Vila Olimpica or Olimpia I forget the exact name of the neighborhood is nothing but clubs. It was awesome but lines are long.

Curitiba I was training hardcore so I went out maybe once or twice. I couldn't give you exact names but I do remember an area filled with restaurants and bars. Went to Belnearo Camboriu or however you spell it in Santa Catarena for New Years and that was off the fuckin chain. It's like a mini-ibiza party island type of vibe. It has super clubs that bring in big name dj's. I remember Morillo and Fatboy Slim were down there and girls are hot and down to fuck because they're on vacation. Pulled the hottest girl I ever did in Brazil out of Space down there. It's very hard to get around without a car, though.

Hope this helps

Thanks man , lots of good info here. Did you do the PUC portuguese course? Know of the best course I could take that takes that total immersion approach? I heard of one in Rio that was very cheap and the money you spend on classes goes to help orphans. Heard of it? Is it any good? Thanks.

Black in Brazil

Quote: (01-13-2013 01:58 AM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

Define moderate bankroll... Most of the hot spots in Brazil are mad expensive these days (Rio, Sao Paulo, and Florinapolis), especially if you want to live in a hip neighborhood like Ipanema. I was in Rio about 3 years ago and just got private rooms in hostels, but you might be able to find a decently priced apartments in a more middle class area like Copacabana or Botafago. When I was there I went with some guys from Sao Paulo to check out some other neighborhoods a little farther out which weren't quite the most happening parts of town, but were clean, safe, and still had nice neighborhood cafes and bars, can't remember the name though.

There seems to be some racial divisions, mostly based on class stratification, but I'd say as long as you aren't shooting for rich upperclass white Brazilians you should be able to pull black and mixed (mestizo) women with no problem. I've never been but maybe look into the North East, Natal, Recife, Salvador, etc. There's a bit of intel on Belo Horizontal and Vitoria, which sound like they are absolutely stacked with hot women, but might require more time, Portuguese, and social circle to have a good shot.

Good look man. So is it commonplace to find hostels with private rooms? How much approx is that per night or month?

Black in Brazil

Quote: (01-13-2013 02:13 AM)Tony Snow25 Wrote:  

I lived in Sao Paulo a couple years ago. In Sao Paulo there is a neighborhood called Vila Madelena that has some bars and clubs. There are two hip hop clubs there that have a lot of attractive morenas, mullatas, and black girls. From my observation it seemed like the black dudes did pretty well there. The name of the clubs are Dolores bar and Joy. You might have more of an advantage if you are a black American too. I went to Joy with International Swagger who is a fellow board member and he pulled a very good looking black girl. I'm a white dude and I noticed I do way better in clubs that play electronic music or with whiter brazilian girls. I didn't do to well in the hip hop clubs in SP.

It's funny what Ugslayer was saying about how Brazilian people will greet you sometimes by your ethnicity. I'm a white dude with blue eyes so the guys that worked at the restaurant near my place would always say "Oi alemão" . That literally means "Hi German" but they call people this with caucasian features. Also if you are a big black dude they might say "Oi negão"(Hi big black guy). When you put the ão on the end of some words it means big. Also if they call you gringo it is not meant in an offensive way.

Ok, I will keep this in mind bro. Good intel on the SP hip-hop clubs too. Will come in handy. So did yall do any other clubs in SP, how long were you there?

Black in Brazil

Quote: (01-13-2013 01:58 AM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

Oh, forgot to define moderate bankroll. I am in the 3,500 US dollar a month range now, hoping to add to that prior to going. So what will that do me for in Brazil if it stays the same? lemme know. thanks

Black in Brazil

Quote: (01-13-2013 02:31 PM)bacon Wrote:  

outside of africa and the us, brazil has one of the biggest populations of blacks. you should be in heaven if you like black girls.

I looooove black girls and mulatas; morenas too. Love the others too but I esp love the black and brown girls.

Black in Brazil

Thanks Ms Chocolate. So why do you say don't go to Vila Olimpia and also why have to go to Sambaylove with someone else? Just curious.

Black in Brazil

Quote: (01-13-2013 12:14 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

A lot of broughams go to Salvador Bahia instead of the other cities to take part in the vibrant Afro-Brazilia culture.

Good luck and keep us updated

Yeah, I am really seriously thinking about this option. i have heard good things about the carnival there too. Have you been there?

Black in Brazil

Quote: (01-14-2013 12:48 AM)PhilE Wrote:  

Do you have any more pictures of your cousin and his girls? Or just of Authentic Rio girls in general? i remember you had a picture of him with a hot girl!

That girl is his fiancee. I am from SP, never been into Rio de Janeiro (the city, but second tier cities in the state)

Quote: (01-14-2013 01:14 AM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

Why do you recommend not going to Vila Olimpia?

I don't recommend Vila Olimpia because of the people who hangs out there... Is so sad... Guys wearing long silver necklaces and abercrombie tees, getting drunk with their homies, the regular radio songs...
I don't also recommend walk by yourself in downtown by yourself during the night, where there are Sambarylove and Mary Pop club. Oh, go to Studio SP in Augusta (more alternative vibe) on fridays. It is black music day. Go to DiQuinta (samba rock vibe), Grazi a Dio (samba rock), Bar Mangueira, Vila do Samba, so many places... lol

Black in Brazil

Quote: (01-13-2013 02:31 PM)bacon Wrote:  

Are the black lizards there into black men though?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Black in Brazil

Where is a good place to stay ( other than airbnb and hostels)in São Paulo for a room when someone arrives, while he looks for a longer term apartment? Easy quatro is good but not sure if they have the short term option

Black in Brazil

I'm making my way down to Rio on Saturday. It's been a minute. I need an emergency data sheet. What are the current venues that can't be missed?