rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

FInance grad looking to start biz... need advice

i graduated 8 years ago with a finance degree bba. done some jobs in finance for a while but nothing i consider worth sticking around in. i live in nyc. the job mkt here in finance is tough. i got some money in the bank but i dont trust investing it in the stock mkt now. i want to start a biz but i dont know where to start. any ideas would be appreciated.

pick something you like doing and try to figure out a way to get paid to do it

Too broad of a question.....Need to know what you like to do, what skills, etc etc etc...

You still working in finance? I am also a nyc finance slave....

My cousins sells Medicaid insurance, if I ever got laid off I was going to try to jump to his field....

Quote: (12-16-2012 05:22 PM)Brian Wrote:  

pick something you like doing and try to figure out a way to get paid to do it

thats the thing i dont know wat exactly to get into. i studied finance because my couzin studied it and is doing well in htat field. i dont have any passions for selling a product. i was thinking of

Quote: (12-16-2012 06:09 PM)TheCaptainPower Wrote:  

Too broad of a question.....Need to know what you like to do, what skills, etc etc etc...

You still working in finance? I am also a nyc finance slave....

My cousins sells Medicaid insurance, if I ever got laid off I was going to try to jump to his field....

in terms of wat i like to do i got no real passion for anything. i got computer skills in excel, word, powerpoint. i got a knack for building webpages. i do a solid job at it. i get compliments. but i dont want to be a webpage nerd though.

yeah i worked in finance. i did private equity and brokerage accnts. but not working now. the finance job mkt isnt good now. still looking for a job here in nyc.

I studied Finance in undergrad myself. Not the funnest major but a very practical one. As a business major you surely have taken courses across many business disciplines and those that involved case studies. As others have said, think about your core competencies and interests and perform a SWOT analysis (strengths, weaknesses, opportunties, threats) on your resultant ideas. That should get you moving along. I recommend you also post this question on quora.com to get a wider array of responses.

Everyone and his dad has skills in excel, ppt, and word. Web pages, not everyone can do. Don't shy away from what you're good at, at least not in the beginning. Money buys you options, so you won't be stuck forever if your marketable skills aren't skills you like using.

Quote: (12-16-2012 06:37 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

I studied Finance in undergrad myself. Not the funnest major but a very practical one. As a business major you surely have taken courses across many business disciplines and those that involved case studies. As others have said, think about your core competencies and interests and perform a SWOT analysis (strengths, weaknesses, opportunties, threats) on your resultant ideas. That should get you moving along. I recommend you also post this question on quora.com to get a wider array of responses.

mentioning swat analysis reminds me of college. i will look into quora.com. it sounds interesting to get responses that may help me.

Quote: (12-16-2012 08:28 PM)polymath Wrote:  

Everyone and his dad has skills in excel, ppt, and word. Web pages, not everyone can do. Don't shy away from what you're good at, at least not in the beginning. Money buys you options, so you won't be stuck forever if your marketable skills aren't skills you like using.

ppl do have skills in excel, ppt and word. but many ppl lack the deep skills that many employers require. for example, vba, advanced functions, vlookup, etc. i was hired at a company paying $30/hr. and i lost it when they found out that i wasnt proficient enuf in excel. yeah that hurts!

Quote: (12-16-2012 11:40 PM)drod7 Wrote:  

i lost it when they found out that i wasnt proficient enuf in excel. yeah that hurts!

Not to be harsh, but whatever you're going to do-- if you're not writing fiction for young adults-- start using adult, professional English.

There might be someone here that could have hired you, but after you spell "enough" "enuf" they are going to suspect you are someone with limited social skills.

This is how teenage girls write.

Quote: (12-17-2012 12:45 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

i lost it when they found out that i wasnt proficient enuf in excel. yeah that hurts!

Not to be harsh, but whatever you're going to do-- if you're not writing fiction for young adults-- start using adult, professional English.

There might be someone here that could have hired you, but after you spell "enough" "enuf" they are going to suspect you are someone with limited social skills.

yo this is the net. its not a job interview or formal gathering where ppl need to speak formally.

not to be offensive but if u correct ppl on their english theyll think ur weird. this is the net not a white house dinner party.

this is why some guys get no where with girls.

Quote: (12-17-2012 01:13 AM)drod7 Wrote:  

Quote: (12-17-2012 12:45 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

yo this is the net. its not a job interview or formal gathering where ppl need to speak formally.

not to be offensive but if u correct ppl on their english theyll think ur weird. this is the net not a white house dinner party.

this is why some guys get no where with girls.

This is how teenage boys write.