rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Thinking about making a move to Hong Kong. My current situation on the mainland is coming to an end and I have an opportunity to do something more entrepreneurial in Hong Kong.

Can anyone give me the low down on living there? Less in terms of what are the best bars and nightclubs, but more about moving and living there longer term. I am thinking about things like what’s the best way to find an apartment, what’s the best mobile phone deal, what part of the city offers the best logistics, etc… Basically any knowledge that most people don’t figure out until they have lived there a couple of months/years.

My focus is more on business than the ladies, but it’s never all work and no play. I know it will be expensive, but I don’t need to pinch every penny. Just looking to be smart about what I do spend.

Thanks!

Al

Hong Kong

If you are making less than 10k USD per month, don't bother to come to HK.

Hong Kong

Quote: (12-08-2012 06:21 AM)Seduction Sutra Wrote:  

If you are making less than 10k USD per month, don't bother to come to HK.

Totally true. I'd say closer to $20k USD a month if you want to have a reasonably good time and don't want to live in a shitbox.

Hong Kong

My 4-day stay in June is hardly long term, but a few things I noticed;

1) I hope you have a shit-ton of money. In 4 days I did shit-all but buy a few things, shoot a bit of day game, purchase a few small things and stay in a small room...2900 HKD (about $400 USD give or take a few). To have the 'optimal' HK experience (go to a few high-end clubs, get a few suits cut, eat at some top spots...I would have been needing at least $2000 USD, the place is no joke.
2) The talent is fine, the city draws plenty of models from all international locations, and the locals...well, just imagine Chinese girls with clearer skin and fatter asses (in other words, I was very impressed with the local talent).
3) The city is tightly packed (world's highest population density) and has a good subway system so logistics aren't going to be out-and-out 'bad' anywhere, but generally the best logistics will be the closest to the water, so either Central or Tsim Sha Tsui.

Hong Kong

"10/20k a month" FOR REAL?

Hong Kong

Very busy an crowded. I loved it the short time I was there tho, cept for when i got a hand job from a lady boy who looked like a gremlin (at the time i didnt know they could get thier adams apples removed so i thought it was a chick) Then when I was paying the old lady who ran the show saw my US $100 bill an her an her army of lady boys pinned me in the corner an was trying to beat me up for not tipping her the $100.... good times

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Hong Kong

I'm lucky that I had family pay for my nice hotels for group vacays in the past but I wouldn't mind going to Hong Kong booking something off airbnb.com or hostelbookers.com next time as these nice rental apartment facilities can be had starting at $60.00 USD per night.

I mean, you gotta shop when going to Hong Kong especially for the great clothing deals, but I'm sure you can find good cheap eats & street food while going to a nice well known Cantonese restaurant once a day or once every 2 days.

As for nightlife, pregame for heading out to keep costs minimal.

I'd say Hong Kong is geographically similar to Rio de Janeiro except HK offers exponentially more while being cheaper with much more lodging/entertainment options. Though I speak Portuguese and love everything Brazil, I'd rather go to HK 2-3 more times than visit Rio just once again.

Hong Kong

I'm the first time in Hong Kong, just arrived 3 days ago. My experience is a bit different.

Quote: (12-08-2012 09:34 AM)Nonpareil Wrote:  

My 4-day stay in June is hardly long term, but a few things I noticed;

1) I hope you have a shit-ton of money. In 4 days I did shit-all but buy a few things, shoot a bit of day game, purchase a few small things and stay in a small room...2900 HKD (about $400 USD give or take a few). To have the 'optimal' HK experience (go to a few high-end clubs, get a few suits cut, eat at some top spots...I would have been needing at least $2000 USD, the place is no joke.
Wow. I'm paying $200 a night for my hotel room and it's tiny! The cheaper ones I checked out or even the ones from airbnb.com looked like really bad places.
Eating and taxis are cheap in HK. Shopping is expensive. Bought a Hugo Boss suit and I'd say I would have paid 10% less in other places for the same. Also I know the prices for Bally shoes and they seem a bit higher than in other places.

2) The talent is fine, the city draws plenty of models from all international locations, and the locals...well, just imagine Chinese girls with clearer skin and fatter asses (in other words, I was very impressed with the local talent).
First of all: I do love Asians. But what I have seen here so far is on the streets is very disappointing. Out of 100 girls I see in the streets I'd say there's 3-7 I'd do (mostly because they're skinny and feminine) and 0 (zero) that I consider hot.
At the bars there's usually more talent, but a lot of them are hookers and come from Thailand, the Philippines, Indonesia etc.
Also some good looking western girls, but it's been more of a sausage fest.

3) The city is tightly packed (world's highest population density) and has a good subway system so logistics aren't going to be out-and-out 'bad' anywhere, but generally the best logistics will be the closest to the water, so either Central or Tsim Sha Tsui.
I'm staying between Wan Chai and Causeway Bay. Central looks like the place where all the expats hang out, glad I didn't land there as I prefer to experience the way the locals live.
Still have to check out Tsim Sha Tsui and Kowoon.

It's been midnight. Gotta take a shower and head out, seeing what this night brings [Image: smile.gif]

Hong Kong

Very interested in this. Might work in Hong Kong after graduating. Loads of conflicting information. Consensus seemed to be that girls are far cry from girls in mainland, Japan and Korea. Singapore supposedly also has busted girls. Can someone clarify?

Hong Kong

Listen to the audiobooks tai pan and noble house before your arrival. Start out in a hostel at 20 a night, make instant friends there and learn the city. After a week in the hostel transition to hotel and use your previously gained knowledge to mate with females.

Hong Kong

Quote: (12-08-2012 10:23 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Very busy an crowded. I loved it the short time I was there tho, cept for when i got a hand job from a lady boy who looked like a gremlin (at the time i didnt know they could get thier adams apples removed so i thought it was a chick) Then when I was paying the old lady who ran the show saw my US $100 bill an her an her army of lady boys pinned me in the corner an was trying to beat me up for not tipping her the $100.... good times

Hah. Gonna need the whole story to this one man.

Hong Kong

cept for when i got a hand job from a lady boy who looked like a gremlin

[Image: gremlins2i.jpg]

You sure?

Hong Kong

I've spent quite a bit of time in HK, on weekend trips when I worked in Guangzhou.

You can get hotels for very cheap in Kowloon, from $30-60 a night, but they are absolutely tiny. They call them guest houses, and they literally have a single bed and a tiny bathroom. You're lucky to have room for a suitcase.

You can make HK affordable. Shopping in any metropolis will be very expensive, HK isn't unique in that regard. It's just more stupid to do your shopping there, since you can get all that stuff at a fraction of the price in China. HK has expensive restaurants, and it has casual eats as well. Drinks are regular priced as what you'd pay in the US or Europe. There are also 7-11s all over the nightlife area, and it's especially common to see people leave the club for a bit to down a 40 at 7-11 and go back in.

The best nightlife is in Lan Kwai Fong, which is on the island, and you can take the subway there. You're partying there mainly with white people from the US and Europe. If you're going to HK to find asian girls, you can find them, but it would make much more sense to go to China or Thailand or wherever and get them there. I would take weekend trips to HK specifically to get away from Asian girls in China.

Hong Kong

Quote: (12-08-2012 07:19 PM)Celtic_Austrian Wrote:  

cept for when i got a hand job from a lady boy who looked like a gremlin

[Image: gremlins2i.jpg]

You sure?

[Image: 62254.gif]

Hong Kong

You can find Russian models on Wed. night at Dragon-I on Wyndham street. They are often kitty-corner at an Italian restaurant on Tuesdays. They come to HK to be back-up dancers in music videos, etc. Lots of cock-blocking by their gay Russian male friends though and don't speak much English. So, fun to look at but difficult to lay.

Hong Kong

A stayed in HK 5 days , it is an interesting place for business and higly recommended, major EU financial players are moving there as the new Asia hub (just consider that HSBC banks moved his HQ from London to HK)

I found the nighlife very boring but the problem is that after a couple of days you see always the same faces as HK is very small , the cool spot are always the same

Good luck

Hong Kong

I used to work in HK and hated it, so I won't dwell on it too long. Others will surely tell you of the immense crowds, grotesque cost of living and horrible nightlife, but I have an observation to contribute.

As someone who's lived and worked all over the world, I couldn't help but notice how segregated Hong Kong is. Locals and expats very rarely hang out outside of work situations. You meet people who've been living there for decades and don't have a single local friend. And even finance professionals who are definitely desirable and have been playin' with local women in places like Tokyo, New York and Singapore, seem to prefer SE Asian hookers over the local girls (It should be said the HK girls are generally a lot less feminine or attractive than in the mainland though).

And honestly, the HKers seemed more xenophobic than any Japanese or Koreans I've met. I'm happy to be away from the place.

Hong Kong

I would agree with what most have said. I have been a few times. My general feeling is that it is worth a 2 to 3 day visit just to see but I would never want to live there.

The girls in no way were attractive, I might even give Singapore girls an advantage over HK which shows you how bad it is. I would only live there if i was making big bank in a corporate job and even then i am not sure I would be happy.

I would put Singapore and HK in the same category of... Worth a short visit to see but no thanks in living there.

Hong Kong

I landet in HK two weeks ago, it was interesting to see, but so is auswitzch.

The people were not friendly, don't think i got a single smile from any local person in the 24 hours i stayed there. From the 200 000 people i saw in a few days, i saw maybe 20-30 cute girls. Very very low, and this coming from a guy having an asian fetish.

People spoke very badly English there, at least the people i met.

I tried to find internet, but none of the places i entered could help me. I asked some locals if i could borrow their computer at starbucks for a quick hostel search in HK. or if they had any recommendations for activities.

"Sorry, can't help you."

The young guys are just a bunch of spoiled faggots, and the girls seem really materialistic.

I was curious if my opinion was colored by a long flight, but i hardly think so.
As soon as I entered Senzchen, a city on the border to HK in the north, I felt much more at home. Girls very prettier, more exotic, more playful happier locals.

I would rather consider one of the cities in mainland china.

Hong Kong

Quote: (12-09-2012 10:34 AM)pants Wrote:  

I landet in HK two weeks ago, it was interesting to see, but so is auswitzch.

The people were not friendly, don't think i got a single smile from any local person in the 24 hours i stayed there. From the 200 000 people i saw in a few days, i saw maybe 20-30 cute girls. Very very low, and this coming from a guy having an asian fetish.

People spoke very badly English there, at least the people i met.

I tried to find internet, but none of the places i entered could help me. I asked some locals if i could borrow their computer at starbucks for a quick hostel search in HK. or if they had any recommendations for activities.

"Sorry, can't help you."

The young guys are just a bunch of spoiled faggots, and the girls seem really materialistic.

I was curious if my opinion was colored by a long flight, but i hardly think so.
As soon as I entered Senzchen, a city on the border to HK in the north, I felt much more at home. Girls very prettier, more exotic, more playful happier locals.

I would rather consider one of the cities in mainland china.

I've always wanted to go to Shenzen, but US citizens absolutely need a business sponsored visa to visit where as Brits & Canadians just need a normal tourist visa to enter.

Hong Kong

Good to read I'm not alone with my experience. Been to Lan Kwai Fong on Saturday night I gotta admit it's quite crazy there and it had some talent.
But as others have already pointed out, it's 50% Americans and Europeans.

This afternoon I went to the Forest Music Bar. On Sunday all the domestic helpers from the Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand etc. have their day off and this is supposed to be the best place they hang around. It was a very funny experience, entering a dark and hidden club on a bright Sunday afternoon and diving into this mixed world of SE Asian girls, expats and few locals.
Again, I didn't see much talent and I wasn't motivated to do a single approach. Felt like I would regret it immediately after the bang and this means they're simply not hot enough.

On another note, although women here are fugly, I'm getting way less eye fucked in HK than in Western countries. Not sure if this a cultural thing and they don't pay attention to people on the street by default. Or it might be not polite or whatever.
Just something that stroke my mind because I'd expect to get way more attention here compared to Western countries since I'm not bad looking and I believe I stand out of the crowd a bit here.

Any thoughts on this?

Hong Kong

I experienced the same. Figure in a city of that magnitude you would see all kinds of weird shirt living there.

I saw to people getting physical at each other, in my hometown that would draw a serious crowd. In hk people just kept on walking.

Hong Kong

Quote: (12-09-2012 11:17 AM)yb13 Wrote:  

I've always wanted to go to Shenzen, but US citizens absolutely need a business sponsored visa to visit where as Brits & Canadians just need a normal tourist visa to enter.

Any Chinese travel agency will sponsor you if you make bookings through them. Otherwise pay them 10 bucks and they'll sponsor you. It's not a big deal at all.

Hong Kong

Thanks for all the feedback. Seems there aren't many fans of HK here. On my last trip there it sure felt like a sausage fest so I am afraid they are probably right...

Hong Kong

Yeah I had a 3 day trip there earlier this year. Found it way overpriced and pretty dull. Lan Kwai Fong was kinda fun but there was nothing Hong Kong about it and it makes London nightlife seem cheap! Wan Chai was just seedy and pretty much empty even on a Thurs and Fri night. Couldnt see myself ever returning to HK