rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Semi formal party attire?

Hey guys, didn't know where else to post this but what would you all wear to a "a semi-formal party, dress to impress"

Any suggestions from you stylish players out there? It's college aged too (19-21). I wanna be the freshest out there.

Thanks in advance everyone

Tom Ford Custom Suit.

In seriousness. Hard to win this one.

Dress shirt + vest + dark jeans. (semi-formal might require more formal than this depending where you go.)

Suit up in a non-formal way.. colorful shirt (red/purple), loose tie, gaudy attention drawing belt buckle.. maybe even some cheesy sunglasses (shutter shades, wayfarer knockoffs). Usual "make sure it matches and fits" applies. At least, that's what I'd do.

Good luck!

Can't go wrong suited up with fun accessories. I suggest suit with tie and pocket square. Maybe some brightly coloured socks so go with your more formal shoes.

In that age group a lot of the guys will be wearing ill-fitting jackets, khakis, etc. So gets something that fits well and you'll stand out. Search the threads for info about how to shop for a suit. There are plenty of budget options too.

PM me if you want personalised advice.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Suit up. If it is really college-y, ditch the tie and wear jeans instead of trousers.

Definitely no jeans. Semi-formal does not mean "halfway between formal and casual."" You should have dress slacks and dress shirt, minimum. Jacket is more important and looks better than just a tie.

Vest, long shirt, dress pants or jeans. 18-21 dont care if you are suited up. You shouldn't care what others think regardless. Do what fits your style and be confident. You will be good.

The cycle of disrespect can start with just an appetizer.

I would opt for the slacks, dress shirt, vneck sweater or cardigan and bow tie. Maybe a jacket, depending on your location and how cold it gets later on at night.

" I'M NOT A CHRONIC CUNT LICKER "

Canada, where the women wear pants and the men wear skinny jeans

AskMen: Degrees of Formality

Quote:Quote:

Semiformal
Tuxes are not required at a semiformal event, but any evening event still calls for a dark suit at the very least. Also, today's fashion world dictates that ties are not absolutely necessary to complete the look at a semiformal event.

Considering this is college (and therefore people have no clue how to dress) it won't be super-strict, but since you want to look fresh, you've got to do a good job.

First off, do not do black-on-black-on-black. It's so typical of the college "this is my fancy-wear!" outfit, but it looks weird to anyone with slight fashion knowledge (i.e., most girls).

Also, I'm assuming all your clothes are fitted/tailored for you. A conservative but tailored outfit looks better than an edgy but baggy, ill-fitting getup (and amateur eyes will be able to sense it).

On the most conservative end, you could do something like this and maybe add in a tie that matches your jacket's lapel thickness:

[Image: edward-norton-suit-no-tie.jpg]

Or you can make it more jazzed up with a colored dress shirt, a bolder colored tie, etc. Just remember, the more black/gray/white you keep it, the harder it is to get colors wrong.

Thatdude, what kind of wardrobe are you working with? What color suits do you have? What color dress shirts? Ties? Non-suit slacks and jackets?

The grey suit and white shirt combo is killer, but I think the look is a bit mature for you.

Are you looking to buy an outfit? How much you looking to spend?

I would get a nice blazer, tuxedo style with the satin lapels. Maybe drop a black shirt in there with some nice jeans (black or dark denim) and a solid pair of shoes (toe cap or formal gloss), add a dash with the pocket square (polka dots) and you will hands down be the best dressed guy in the place.

Tip - when I was younger and had no money, I would hit up second hand stores. I had a nice tuxedo jacket that I got in one of these places and use to wear it all the time.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Jeans and a black blazer. Go slim fit, have it tailored, and wear a dress shirt with it untucked.

Thank you to everyone for the help...I really wasn't looking to buy an outfit, I have some decent clothes so I wanted to make them work. But reading through this thread got me thinking...I don't even own a blazer, so now might actually be a good time to buy one. I'm gonna hit the mall tomorrow and see what I can find.

@Biginjapan--That's originally what I had in mind, I might just keep that as a back-up if I can't find anything affordable tomorrow. Some nice pants/khakis, an oxford, and a merino sweater over it. The clothes I have are all slim fit, and pants are not the tight tight pants but they fit very well, like an urban slim fit.
These are the exact pieces I was going to wear

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCthsLA_rFKW3ahQqj_rZ...pqc2yCzi1g]
except its black with a purple logo
[Image: 10141_BR6332_m?$pdp_fs418$]
[Image: pPOLO2-5304213_lifestyle_v360x480.jpg]

Does this shit fly bros if I'm unable to pull off the suit in time?

@Rudebwoy, I like the idea of that look a lot, I'm gonna see if I can make it work on a budget. Thanks for the help

[quote='RandalGraves' pid='322004' dateline='1354828135']
AskMen: Degrees of Formality

[quote]SemiformalThatdude, what kind of wardrobe are you working with? What color suits do you have? What color dress shirts? Ties? Non-suit slacks and jackets?
[/quote]

Thanks for your suggestions, I currently have absolutely no suits, I have a few ties and dress shirts. Purple, blue, white, black, yellow, green, gingham, etc. My ties are deep purple, dark blue, light blue, black, and I have a few with designs on them as well. I have dress pants in black, some color called blackhawk by kenneth cole, and thats about it. I don't have any suit jackets either.

Again, thanks for the help everybody. Much appreciated.

Also, a good cheap way to stand out is to add in the cardigan sweater and layer it with the s--- you already have to look something like this:
[Image: Mens-Cardigan-Sweaters-Mens-Fashion-Swea...00x405.jpg]

...then pick up a slim-fit grey suit on clearance on December 26.

Quote: (12-06-2012 11:10 PM)46. Wrote:  

Also, a good cheap way to stand out is to add in the cardigan sweater and layer it with the s--- you already have to look something like this:
[Image: Mens-Cardigan-Sweaters-Mens-Fashion-Swea...00x405.jpg]

...then pick up a slim-fit grey suit on clearance on December 26.

Beware the black mannequin syndrome: [Image: gay.gif]

[Image: 08asU.jpg]

Thatdude, I like the khakis. A button down under a black sweater will be nice... but not quite the level of a legitimate semiformal. You really need some sort of jacket for semiformal dress. But, this is college. There will be guys wearing jeans to this, I bet, and few people will be fashion critics. Have fun!

In the future, you should be looking for a place to pick up a suit. Your first one, you can get from a cheap place like Jos A Bank or Men's Wearhouse--keep an eye out for when they have a good sale. Then spring for a navy suit (conservative, versatile color). But most importantly, get it tailored (JAB and MW have in-store tailors). Should cost about $250. If you want to look trendy and not like a cheap lawyer, make sure you emphasize to the tailor you want a slim fit: the rise on the pants should be comfortably high, there should be little break around your ankles, it should taper well to your waist, you should only be able to fit a clenched fist on your chest inside the jacket, etc. Do some research on how suits should fit so you can be confident in telling the tailor what you want.

I can post some helpful links if interested.