rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Aging parents

Aging parents

This is a hard topic for most people. Do you have any plans of what you'll do as your parents get older and less independent?

My mother has Borderline Personality disorder which has fucked me up in all kinds of ways so we have grown extremely distant. Borderlines benefit from environments with a lot of structure so a nursing home might be good for her.

Aging parents

I'm not there yet (parents in their 50ies), so there is little I can offer in concrete advise. But I have seen two grandmothers fighting cancer and dementia. It's not pretty at all, and perhaps the largest regret I have in my life is not being more understanding towards them and their troubles (I was born too late to have happy memories of the days before they were old and crippled). So all I can do is to offer my sincere hope that you'll find a good solution.

I'm an only child, so I will be bound to live where my parents are once they tend towards becoming unable to care for themselves. Or move them to where I myself might be living. I do not trust anyone other than myself to make sure that they receive proper care. Point in case: orderlies stole plenty of gold jewelry from one of my grandmothers, including her wedding ring. So if your mom moves into a nursing home, it is a good idea to live physically close and visit a lot, to make sure everything is OK. The state/private enterprise can never replace bloodlines.

Aging parents

Quote: (11-27-2012 03:12 AM)Norset Wrote:  

Point in case: orderlies stole plenty of gold jewelry from one of my grandmothers, including her wedding ring.

That is horrible. Some people truly have no soul.

Aging parents

Quote: (11-27-2012 03:16 AM)CMan0928 Wrote:  

Quote: (11-27-2012 03:12 AM)Norset Wrote:  

Point in case: orderlies stole plenty of gold jewelry from one of my grandmothers, including her wedding ring.

That is horrible. Some people truly have no soul.

Indeed. I was about 10 when that happened. You can't prove who it was, since there are more than 1 possible guilty parties. As far as how personalities are formed, I'm pretty sure that episode made me a good deal more skeptical and cynical than I'd otherwise end up as.