rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Miracle Drug?

Miracle Drug?

Here is a video about Provigil, allegedly a "miracle drug" that enchances focus, apparently nullifies effects from lack of sleep and enhances cognitive abilities.
If it turns out there are no serious side effects this could really be a game-changer. It all seems to good to me to be true. Maybe the people in the video are embellishing its effects?

Miracle Drug?

Don't have time to watch the video, but I assume it is like all the other nootropics, perhaps a compound drug.

The thing with them is, yes they provide clarity etc. but they aren't wonder drugs.
Secondly, there is no 'one-size-fits-all' because everyone's brain is different.

Some people get the same effects from caffeine, yet some can chew caffeine pills all day and get none of the effects.

I tried racetams and found that the efficiency I got from them was less than the time/effort I was taking to make myself a human guinea pig. as with most things in life, if you succeed at anything if you just put your mind to it.

Miracle Drug?

ProVigil is a lot like ritalin/speed, you can stay up, but you have to rest later to compensate.

Miracle Drug?

Quote: (11-11-2012 09:06 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

ProVigil is a lot like ritalin/speed, you can stay up, but you have to rest later to compensate.

Have you tried it? My impression was that it was superior to those drugs because it does NOT have those crash side effects. Also, this is a prescription drug that's FDA approved, so you can believe that it is efficacious for at least its intended indication. I have tried lots of OTC potions and lotions, and none have yet had the immediate predictable effect like a real pharmaceutical.

Miracle Drug?

no side effects. it does lose it's potency as far as mental acuity increase goes. I've used 25-50mg daily and when I have a long concentration task i go to 100. some people take up to 400 mg to keep all the effects going.

Miracle Drug?

drugs are like any tool you rely on to achieve something, you depend on it in the long run. you pay for it with dependence, money and probably with some kind of addiction/habituation. i understand that pill-popping is part of the american culture/consumerism, but i am not a fan of it. your brain will adapt (permanently) to long tasks of concentration by doing long tasks of concentration, thats how learning works.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Miracle Drug?

[Image: 9306_429914353723570_1700343116_n.jpg]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Miracle Drug?

Quote: (11-11-2012 09:34 AM)Menace Wrote:  

Have you tried it? My impression was that it was superior to those drugs because it does NOT have those crash side effects.

I don't believe that. Considering how the brain works, you can only get extra stimulation by releasing more neurotransmitters. At some point the neurotransmitter storage depletes, and you've got a "crash" until the storage levels are restored. If you have high, you'll have low, and the higher high you had, the worse the low would be. It doesn't mean you'll throw yourself at the wall, but there is no way to avoid the crash except sleeping through it.

Same way your synapses got used to the constant above-normal stimulation and decrease their sensitivity to get back to normal. This is how the tolerance is built. The only way to avoid the tolerance is to have larger breaks between the substance use.

The last thing to remember is that all drugs come with side effects. Stimulants, for example, often cause excessive hair loss. Watch out.

Quote:Quote:

Also, this is a prescription drug that's FDA approved, so you can believe that it is efficacious for at least its intended indication.

Adderal is also FDA approved, and it has a huge bunch of side effects (accelerated hair loss, for example).

Miracle Drug?

Isn't Thomas the rhymer a doctor?

I'd like to hear from him on this.

Miracle Drug?

Provigil is hard to describe but it definitely DOES have sides similar to Ritalin, aderol, coke, etc. I bought some and didn't eat or sleep much that week. Yes you do get crazy focus but its not a creative focus. You sort of get sucked in to the task at hand without being able to see the bigger picture. I would take again for specific tasks that required long periods of focus but thats about it.

Miracle Drug?

Quote: (11-11-2012 05:18 PM)Carmo Wrote:  

Provigil is hard to describe but it definitely DOES have sides similar to Ritalin, aderol, coke, etc. I bought some and didn't eat or sleep much that week. Yes you do get crazy focus but its not a creative focus. You sort of get sucked in to the task at hand without being able to see the bigger picture. I would take again for specific tasks that required long periods of focus but thats about it.

Yeah, this pretty much sounds like adderall- I'd be interested in hearing the difference between the two. I used to take adderall when I had big projects due, but like mentioned above, its easy to get sucked away from the intended task and get completely wrapped up in something else.

It's also extremely addictive. I'd be more worried about the stress on the heart than the hair loss when it comes to stimulants.

Miracle Drug?

My junior and senior years of undergrad I took vyvanse the sundays before I had exam weeks. It was fucking wonderful. Productivity, curiosity, and focus fucking skyrocketed. I would literally digest weeks of chem and bio in a whole day, and I don't think I've made anything less than an 80 on exams, even when the class averages would be in the 60's and 70's.

I've learned that taking vyvanse more than a day in a row is pretty awful though... the "crash" you experience makes you want to lay in bed for 2 days straight. it really does remind me of the "limitless" drug.

Miracle Drug?

Quote: (11-11-2012 10:47 AM)void Wrote:  

drugs are like any tool you rely on to achieve something, you depend on it in the long run. you pay for it with dependence, money and probably with some kind of addiction/habituation. i understand that pill-popping is part of the american culture/consumerism, but i am not a fan of it. your brain will adapt (permanently) to long tasks of concentration by doing long tasks of concentration, thats how learning works.

Agreed. IMO last thing you want to do is anchor success to a substance that you sooner or later feel like you can't game without. Applies to alcohol as well.

Miracle Drug?

I've never taken Nuvigil (Provigil) but I've heard from those that have that Vyvanse worked better for them. One even complained that he had to stop the Vyvanse because the effects didn't seem to be wearing off (effecting sleep). Vyvanse is an extended release medication. Many MD's are switching patients from Adderall XR to the Vyvanse. Problem is the Vyvanse is brand only and has no generic. That means a high copay in most cases.

Miracle Drug?

Quote: (11-11-2012 07:09 PM)the chef Wrote:  

My junior and senior years of undergrad I took vyvanse the sundays before I had exam weeks. It was fucking wonderful. Productivity, curiosity, and focus fucking skyrocketed. I would literally digest weeks of chem and bio in a whole day, and I don't think I've made anything less than an 80 on exams, even when the class averages would be in the 60's and 70's.

I've learned that taking vyvanse more than a day in a row is pretty awful though... the "crash" you experience makes you want to lay in bed for 2 days straight. it really does remind me of the "limitless" drug.

Do you still remember what you studied? Where did you get the vyvanse from?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Miracle Drug?

^ kind of, but it's not as clear as when you're on the drug. when you're on vyvanse everything is so clear and you focus at a level that you just can't attain from being sober.

for example, on vyvanse i would know EXACTLY how to solve a problem in calculus without making any errors or having to take a step back to gather my thoughts. but when you're not on it and try to rework the same problem, you'll probably still get the same answer, but it'll take about 2-3 times as long and your thoughts don't come to you as quick... therefore you'll feel like you've put so much effort into solving the same problem that seemed so easy on vyvanse.

vyvanse was pretty much running throughout my college... every spoiled white kid had a prescription so i would just ask a friend for a pill or two on the weekends. i've noticed that 30-40mg is the best dosage, any more than that and you won't sleep for 3 days. it's a totally unnecessary drug but it makes things a lot easier.

Miracle Drug?

I tried modalert (provigil) and adderall (which is like vyvanse). I never tried a full pill of these, just a quarter pill. I would compare modalert to coffee. Clearly different than coffee but in the same class. Modalert is not a miracle drug, just helps you be more awake. Being more awake lets you work better, but that's about it. Useful for jet lag.

Adderall was more intense than modalert. Really helps you concentrate, but then also changes your mood. Probably not the right mood for going out and picking up girls. I think Adderall would be good before a math exam or before a technical interview. Modalert seems like it would have a low potential for addiction, adderall not so sure.

Miracle Drug?

Quote: (11-11-2012 08:42 AM)Snowflake Wrote:  

If it turns out there are no serious side effects this could really be a game-changer.

Known side effects:
Delusions
Hallucinations
Anxiety
Manic attack
Suicidal ideas
Tremors
Confusion
Insomnia
Raised blood pressure
Cardiac arrythmias
Pharyngitis
Shortness of breath
Chest pain
Nose bleed (probably due to blood pressure)
headaches
nausea,vomiting
diarrhoea
dry mouth
anorexia
liver damage
life-threatening blood pressure crisis
life-threatening development of hypersensitivity (skin necrosis, swelling up, rash)
pulse rate changes (tends to speed it up)
also alters how other drugs work, especially your anti-epileptics and your anti-fungals

I think the elevated blood pressure would mess you up the most in the long run.

Miracle Drug?

Why don't you eat healthy and Meditate 21 on Minutes a day ?

You might have the same results instead of taking a "Magic Pill" that will automaticly fix you just by using it hehe [Image: smile.gif]

Sound's more effective to me and it actualy works....

pssst.....i tryed it

Miracle Drug?

If you want to increase focus naturally, take natural nootrpics. No, Joe Rogan's brand is weak.

NeuroScience is a GREAT brand and works like a BOSS.

Miracle Drug?

It's a pretty good backup plan when you absolutely have to do an all-nighter.

Pros:

- You feel refreshed, alert and energetic.
- Reading text is no longer difficult (compared to when you're tired)
- Typing is somewhat easier (ditto above)

Cons:

- You will look like you took heroin the next day (bags under eyes)
- Your reasoning is impaired (too many fast thoughts and too few "quiet" or slow ones)
- You feel a need to drink / urinate often (annoying)

Note: This will only enhance your performance when you are tired (does not enhance when you are feeling awake.)

Miracle Drug?

Quote: (11-12-2012 11:00 AM)ben-aus Wrote:  

It's a pretty good backup plan when you absolutely have to do an all-nighter.

Pros:

- You feel refreshed, alert and energetic.
- Reading text is no longer difficult (compared to when you're tired)
- Typing is somewhat easier (ditto above)

Cons:

- You will look like you took heroin the next day (bags under eyes)
- Your reasoning is impaired (too many fast thoughts and too few "quiet" or slow ones)
- You feel a need to drink / urinate often (annoying)

Note: This will only enhance your performance when you are tired (does not enhance when you are feeling awake.)

Are you talking about the effects of adderall, provigil or something else entirely?

Miracle Drug?

Quote: (11-12-2012 07:13 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Quote: (11-11-2012 08:42 AM)Snowflake Wrote:  

If it turns out there are no serious side effects this could really be a game-changer.

Known side effects:
Delusions
Hallucinations
Anxiety
Manic attack
Suicidal ideas
Tremors
Confusion
Insomnia
Raised blood pressure
Cardiac arrythmias
Pharyngitis
Shortness of breath
Chest pain
Nose bleed (probably due to blood pressure)
headaches
nausea,vomiting
diarrhoea
dry mouth
anorexia
liver damage
life-threatening blood pressure crisis
life-threatening development of hypersensitivity (skin necrosis, swelling up, rash)
pulse rate changes (tends to speed it up)
also alters how other drugs work, especially your anti-epileptics and your anti-fungals

I think the elevated blood pressure would mess you up the most in the long run.

You forgot the word "possible". Those are possible side effects.

A possible side effect of taking an airline flight is crashing and burning to death. But what are the odds?

When I read about a side effect for a medication, I want to know what the chances are.

Miracle Drug?

This is realy interresting Especially if you are allready eating Healthy.
And work in a Field where you Need to focuss and make decisions quick.
So you're saying that there is no Crash ?

Or does it depend on the Dosis you Take in? I am always Open for Things that can Improove my Life and the only reason why I was against Pills like that is because I don't want to experience the side effects.

Miracle Drug?

Quote: (11-13-2012 09:20 AM)The Duke Wrote:  

You forgot the word "possible". Those are possible side effects.

Those listed in the medication are typically experienced by a statistically significant number of patients. You can read the relevant studies if you want the specific numbers.