rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bartending to improve social skills

Would a bartending course be a good idea if its an extremely small % of my income? The local course is 300$. I am interested in improving my social skills, especially with women and meeting local friends/women since I am not from this town. I already have a 6 figure job that only requires 40 hours a week so I am not interested in this for money or a career, solely improving social skills/meeting people. I also thought I could possibly use it next time I go on a long vacation abroad.

I have read that big chain restaurants will hire you for training after these courses and I have read that basically its a complete waste of time so I really don't know. The course is an extremely small % of my income so I figured I could at least learn some stuff since I know zero about any of it.

Would a bartending course be a good idea if its an extremely small % of my income? The local course is 300$. I am interested in improving my social skills, especially with women and meeting local friends/women since I am not from this town. I already have a 6 figure job that only requires 40 hours a week so I am not interested in this for money or a career, solely improving social skills/meeting people. I also thought I could possibly use it next time I go on a long vacation abroad.

I have read that big chain restaurants will hire you for training after these courses and I have read that basically its a complete waste of time so I really don't know. The course is an extremely small % of my income so I figured I could at least learn some stuff since I know zero about any of it.
[/quote]

when i was in college i took a bartending course. it pays because if you are young the knowledge in mixing drinks will help you locally and internationally make friends, get girls and seal business deals. when i was 20 i got a fully stocked bar in my place, i had women and friends dropping by constantly. i never made a big deal of giving away drinks and i had many girls hooking up with me.

later on when i left the us i got work as a bartender. i simply found expat owners told them im availdable explained my experience and work was usually available.

i am also pasionate about alcohol. i love it i and respect it in a way many dont. its possible to be a bartender without being a drunk but you need at least to respect the field. my advice work in a cubicle for a year then do bar work as it will be a welcome change

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

What would increase your social skills is to go out and talk to people.

If you want to learn how to be a bartender then I suggest finding a local hotspot and say you'll barback for free in exchange for bartending lessons.

Quote: (10-29-2012 08:10 AM)EisenBarde Wrote:  

What would increase your social skills is to go out and talk to people.

If you want to learn how to be a bartender then I suggest finding a local hotspot and say you'll barback for free in exchange for bartending lessons.

yea social skills in bartending are like picking up trash if your a janitor ...it comes with the job. if you cant relate to people when they are drunk and vulnerable then you will likely never make it in bars.

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

It'll increase your exposure to women. Can't hurt. Go for it.

Team Nachos

I think Roosh said that bartending is one of the best ways to get laid without approaching. To provide an anecdote, this one guy I knew from highschool who was probably the most passive aggressive fat shit to ever walk the face of the earth managed to find and keep a 7 from his work as a bartender. I'm pretty sure that she's smashing or has smashed most of his friends but this guy's game is so bad that I'm sure his success is work related. If you're cool you should have no problem.

Bacon you mentioned you took a course... Did it seem to be at least semi professionally ran? Does anybody else have any experience with these schools? Some of them seem to be fly by night.

I'm a pretty normal guy but maybe a tad on the shy side but I can come out of my shell easily. I worry that nobody would want to hire a 27 year old man... however, I am in good shape and above avg looks so maybe that helps as well as being a 6 year vet.

Quote: (10-29-2012 05:32 PM)Jaydublin Wrote:  

Bacon you mentioned you took a course... Did it seem to be at least semi professionally ran? Does anybody else have any experience with these schools? Some of them seem to be fly by night.

I'm a pretty normal guy but maybe a tad on the shy side but I can come out of my shell easily. I worry that nobody would want to hire a 27 year old man... however, I am in good shape and above avg looks so maybe that helps as well as being a 6 year vet.

its not hard to get a bartending gig. it is hard to get work in an exclusive club. bartending school was worth it but not necessary. just learn recipes, spend enough time in bars to see how things work and you can find work.

i am very outgoing and that is important if you want tips which are your bread and butter. just remain neutral on topics of religion and politics and you are fine. often you do become a shrink to some extent with the regulars which is an interesting thing. if you are shy give bartending a try it may bring you out of your shell more than just about any other job out there.

One of my favorite things about bartending (depending on what kind of regulars you get and where you are working) is that dating will ALWAYS come up with people....ALWAYS. Getting to talk about that while working, possibly offering people advice about dating, gaming, or about the dating scene while making money is fun as hell. Plus if you give good advice, they are more likely to tip you more or if you get to know the person/people enough they will bring their target around and you can help out your fellow man. PLUS if they bring their friends around, you've got em DEAD in your sights.

It can be shitty hours though, the one thing I've HATED is that you make your bread and butter on off hours when everyone else is not working. (You work when everyone else isn't, night and weekends).

It will teach you a LOT about working with people, being quick on your feet (to get people in a good mood/for a better tip), and how to read them well.

And oh yeah, DON'T take any courses. I think thats kinda lame as hell and costs money. If anything, serve somewhere and then become a bartender or just be a bar back for a bit and work your way into it.

Quote: (10-29-2012 06:25 PM)bacon Wrote:  

Quote: (10-29-2012 05:32 PM)Jaydublin Wrote:  

its not hard to get a bartending gig. it is hard to get work in an exclusive club. bartending school was worth it but not necessary. just learn recipes, spend enough time in bars to see how things work and you can find work.

i am very outgoing and that is important if you want tips which are your bread and butter. just remain neutral on topics of religion and politics and you are fine. often you do become a shrink to some extent with the regulars which is an interesting thing. if you are shy give bartending a try it may bring you out of your shell more than just about any other job out there.

Back in university I wanted to work as a bartender so I paid something like $600 or $800 to go to bartending school for 2 or 3 weeks. It was honestly a lot of fun, and it is a very easy way to meet cool new people at the school itself.

I ended up getting a bartender job about a month after the school. I worked in a bar, on a lake, inside a canyon, within a national park, so isolated from modern society your cell phone wouldn't work there. It was a pretty badass working environment.

Socially, I thought it would be a great job. Where I worked certainly had an affect--less hot young women and more older male boating/fishing crowd--on my perspective, but over time I wouldn't recommend it for social skills unless you're working in a place where you're guaranteed a lot of young hot girls (or just people you can identify with, for that matter).

I liked the idea of being paid to make fancy drinks and talk to people about their lives and be like a therapist that gets you drunk... fits my personality. But in actual practice, eventually you learn that the regulars that show up alone all the time do so for a reason--they're not much to talk to, and can sometimes be a buzz kill. They don't have a lot of social support so a bar is a great place for them to get drunk and feel like someone gives a sh!t about them.

I will say, however, when I'd be at a party at my university and some buddy would announce I'm a bartender, I'd have MAJORLY hot women showing me interest... 9's and 10's who I can't imagine would have had any reason to show me interest otherwise--back then my skills/knowledge of women were non-existent, and physically I was a 6 or 7/10 at best.

Dude it's $300 and a fun few weekends. Bartending school is a blast. Why are you hedging over a few hundred bucks if you make six figures?

Check out my occasionally updated travel thread - The Wroclaw Gambit II: Dzięki Bogu - as I prepare to emigrate to Poland.

You're better off starting out as a barback making jack shit and then working your way up to bartender.

A few things I wanted to add to my last post. The best way is to have an in, i.e. you know someone who works in the restaurant/bar. Even if it means working a bad shift, if you have the time do it just for the experience.

Also my school was in the northeast US, I'm not sure how bartending experience translates overseas. When I travel I notice American guys working as bartenders/waiters so it's possible that the course may help there.

If you're starting from scratch with no connections, I'd say pounding the pavement to get a job would be your best bet. I've even known guys who wanted to bartend so bad they'd approach the owners and tell them they'd work for free for a weekend, and if the owner liked them to give them a shift. Remember there are also catering places that employ bartenders.

There is also a last resort, not for a guy in your situation, but if someone wanted to suck it up and make serious cash bartending.

I knew this kid from my bartending class who did this, working in a gay bar. The positive, he was jacked so he'd make mad cash every night because gay dudes would through cash at him. The downside, nearly everything else. He claimed he banged the girls who came in with the gay guys on occasion, but I never verified whether that was true or not.

Quote: (11-01-2012 03:48 PM)aphelion Wrote:  

Dude it's $300 and a fun few weekends. Bartending school is a blast. Why are you hedging over a few hundred bucks if you make six figures?

I really hate feeling like I was a sucker and this school is actually operating illegally per my state. They also make the job placement sound too good to be true so I guess its my pride.

I've decided to skip the local school for now for many reasons. It really just isn't the most reputable school out there to say the least but its the only 1 local. I have already hit the streets but I learned quickly that for the most part I am stuck to private bars/restaurants or hotel bars. I would definitely work for free but these chain restaurants don't exactly operate that way and they really just want you to fill out an application to get you out of their hair. Hotel bars seem to hire complete ra'tards so they probably have a high turnover.

I wish I had the time to work as a barback and build up a rep but my contract will likely be over first quarter 2013 and if I cant get another one I will be traveling again.

If I do decide to hit the school it will just for myself and I wont expect much from their job placement.