rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

SEO Master Thread

SEO Master Thread

SEO can be a bitch if you're not collaborating with people. Most SEO forums are total shit. Occasionally there's a solid idea or 5, but mostly I cruise through to make sure I'm not doing what's barely working for others.

I can't control who posts on this thread, but please think before you write: if someone implements what you suggest, it has the potential to adversely impact their income if you're wrong.

SEO is not dead. It's evolving. Accept it and get used to it. It's not easy anymore. Also, there's minimal logic to the flow of this post. I'll try to work backwards, but no promises.

That said...let's get rolling.

Google's Disavow Link Tool

Don't fuck with this. At best it helps you, but I doubt it will. Think of this as a way of crowd-sourcing bad websites, spam factories, and sketchy websites. If you have shitty links--it happens--don't give them your data just yet. Wait for the greedy (who bought links, like you) to raise their hands. Data will arise from that. Based upon that, decide if it's worth it or not.

Exact Match Domains (EMDs)

Google recently dropped a update/algo change that decreased the value of having an exact match domain. Following the penguin update, many garbage EMDs floated to top positions in the SERPs (search engine results pages) because they had done minimal optimization. I feel this was an attempt to correct that.

What is an exact match domain? I recently bought CitySEOCompany.com. That is a EMD for "city seo company," NOT city or city seo. Hyphenated domains are not exact match domains either. FYI - my domain doesn't rank (at the date of posting, it's not even indexed yet) and exists for EMD testing purposes. I don't live in Madison and don't plan to operate there, but it was a clean buy.

Despite this update, there is still an inherent benefit to having keywords in your domain name. The value may progressively decrease, but I doubt it will ever go away. Why? Let's look at the word "overstock" at the broad level. Overstock is a keyword, probably had volume back in the day, and got turned into a brand. If you want to buy overstock toilet seats, can Google really discredit you for having overstocktoilets.com? No. It's not as powerful, but there's still value.

Having a EMD with thin content will decrease your changes of ranking. EMDs used for adsense were probably hurt. I've never been in the adsense game and unless I rank for "spinal injury lawyer" (rumored @ massive payouts), I won't ever be.

If you dropped because of this update, it means you were coasting on the power/weight allocated to your EMD. That's all. If you buy a EMD, you better make sure you're going to brand it and make that the first priority of your link building.

If you picked up a legit EMD (or something close that has your keyword in it AND you can brand), you should start building links with variations of the raw url: RooshV.com, http://rooshv.com, http://www.rooshv.com, RooshV.com/, http://www.RooshV.com, etc.

You can throw in "website" for good measure, but I'm not a giant fan of the post-penguin shit-show that says drive "click here" and "dope website" links to your homepage. If you have too many exact match keyword anchors (meaning you linked text is "keyword"), then feel free to dilute as you see fit.

Legit static anchor resource: http://marketersblackbook.com/seo/best-l...-building/

Since we're on this topic, I suppose the next logical move is to the dreaded Penguin update...

Google Penguin

Let me preface this by saying that I've been fucked by Penguin. All of our websites made it through the rollout, 2nd refresh, and ONE got fucked on the 3rd.

Why?

Early in the game we were buying links from websites that were selling links. It wasn't a "blog network"--which means 1 person or firm owns the entire thing--but rather a blog marketplace. I'd post it here, but it's done. If there's a public link and you can pay to play, move on.

That said, we only dropped 18 spots or so in a relatively competitive SEO market. Not a bad drop, considering we're competing with SEO firms. Initially, I blamed it on us redesigning the website, adding MORE content, and the density being "over optimized." The phrase over optimization was thrown out by Matt Cutts before and after the initial rollout. Since then, he has clarified his stance on that and admitted that it probably wasn't the best phrase to describe the complexity of the update.

What you NEED to understand about Penguin

1. It's not perfect. In fact, it's pretty fucking dumb. Sure, it hit a LOT of people who were banking on shitting SEO, but the fact is, it's a work in progress. It will continually be refined.

2. It targets your SEO efforts both on and off page. Meaning, most people thought it was about what they had on their website. Initially, over-optimized H1/H2 tags and websites with high keyword densities took a dive. Changes are they had paid links too, but if they were BLATANTLY target keywords on-page, they got spanked.

That said, the refresh (that fucked us) hit blog networks, link schemes (aka paid links, "text link ads," websites who had 7K links from 1 website (we had 1 and has since been removed).

--An important point to hit based on flow of logic--

There's something I just discovered that's very important. Well, I knew about it, but it just bitch slapped me for not adhering, so I want to drop it here..

Relevance is the new PR (page rank). Previously, you could get a link from a PR7 website and you'd move like gangbusters. Now? Not so much. So, how important is relevance?

My view on relevance

You can break this down as much as you want, but there's essentially a relevance perspective you should be concerned with.

Domain=>Page=>Your Page/Your Domain

What does this mean?

The below is legit:

Technology=>Video conferencing=>Video marketing/SEO

The theoretical best is below:

Web marketing=>video seo=>you tube marketing=>seo

Now, if you notice, these links are going from a given website's interior pages to your interior pages.

Why does this matter?

Google has TONS of data based upon how they allocate page rank that says it's highly unlikely for a site with a page rank of 7 to link to something irrelevant or only mildly relevant from their homepage, which will pass the most flow/link juice. This means the blogroll link you have from some PR5 website--unless highly related--is very unlikely to pass flow.

--By the way, this is 3 parts theory, 1 part experience--

Given this assumption, we can look at major technology websites for reference. The phrase "technology" is all encompassing, so if a massive PR7 tech website has 10 categories, we can safely assume the content within those categories is highly diverse.

Post-penguin, a great link is from a page-relevant website on a broadly-relevant website.

What about Post-penguin Anchor Text?

Legit web journalism can teach you a SHITLOAD about how you should get links. For example, get paid to write for a very fucking legit business website. Alexa rank is less than 800. There are "general" stats that I know off the top of my head. I can't simply drop them into an article without a link to a trusted website that references them; I have to back up my claims.

I write the article first based on knowledge and back it up on the revision. How do I link? No pattern. I make a snap decision and highly the best sounding phrase for a link, like: "has show to increase widget sales by X% on average."

Now, does that look like "click here" to you? No way. You need to randomize interior linking and make your website--regardless of intention--look like a resource for web users.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you engage in studies to create useful data that "gets" links (google links to think that great content gets links natually. Fuck that.). Rather, crate strong and lengthy (1K words+) interior pages (with images and videos) that are link worthy. Make the anchor text random and build your base.

Massive links to the homepage of a relatively thin website scream "I'm trying to rank."

Think of your website like a pyramid. The MAJORITY of your links to your homepage should be your brand. I'd keep exact match anchor text to 10% or less. Build the brand, but bulk link the intrior pages with chaos from the above referenced relevance ration assumptions.

(Great song playing as I write: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJkgxx8c47k)

For example, if you like at a website like seo M o z (I don't like the general attitude, but they push a lot of data that ranks), the top 5 anchors to their homepage are variations of the brand name or the raw url: brandname, brand name, brand-name, http://brandname.com, etc.

A LOT of their links to to interior pages with completely random anchors. Why? Because web writers who write about seo/sem/im write articles and reference later. This results in completely random anchor text distribution across interior pages, proving their position as a resource.

Applying this concept to a eCommerce Store

If you import/manufacture your products, this is not for you. Skip this section.

For retailers in the game: You have 3-4 levels of "SEO priorities."

We'll break it down pyramid style:

1. What your domain ranks for (major head of tail keywords).
2. How well your brand and/or category pages rank
3. How well your products rank

As aforementioned, 90% of your links to the homepage (that you build/acquire) should be branded. Google knows what your title tag/home page title is. And what the on-page content is. They don't need (or want) targeted anchor text to figure it out.

For my eCommerce biz, I find it more profitable (and easier) to rank for brand terms as opposed to category terms.

Example? A good brand that sells wholesale will have higher pries than their retailers. Meaning, if you can hit the #2 position for that term, you'll make decent money on all their products.

Real life example? I take buy a product from Renew Life. It's a daily probiotic. Ask yourself...what's easier...ranking for "probiotics" or "Renew Life?"

Renew Life, by far.

Best practice? -- Look at the products on your brand page

If your top-selling brand has 20 products, build 20 links to the brand page. The anchor text? Change up "brand name product name" "product name by brand name" and slight variations of that. DO NOT send "brand name" "buy brand name" "order brand name online" there frequently. It's simply too predictable.

(jihad music + work=productivity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBwUiZCBkyg)

On predictability, let' roll back to EMDs (exact match domains) for a moment. If you own "spinalinjurylawyer [dot] com, you should NOT make you title tag/page title "Spinal Injury Lawer | Top Spinal Injury Lawyer." This is too common and precisely the people who got hit on the EMD update. Since your head keyword is already in the domain, throw something like "Lawyers Specializing in Spinal Injury | Spine Accident Attorneys." BTW, I'm not tracking the number of characters in that title tag...just giving you an idea. Bottom line? Mix your keywords in the vital data google uses to display your data to searchers.

On that, let's roll into meta descriptions...

All too often, people repeat their keywords again and again in their meta description...why?

It does nothing for you.

This is your ONE space to sell on the organic search platform. If you're a service business, allocate enough space to include your number at the end. Make is sell enough, but write for humans, not engines.

Example: Online OR brick and mortar store that sells fish oil supplements.

Order the best fish oil on the market here. Improve heart health, reduce pain & inflammation. Quality tested, MD recommended. Call us now to order 555-555-5555.

What does this do? Addresses the search query, sells it, throws in benefits, and provides a call to action, with a contact number.

Most people view SEO as something you do that gets you ranked...rank and you WILL get sales. True, to a certain degree, but the man who converts higher @ position 3 is a boss.

SEO is NOT just ranking, it's effectively utilizing your content for search engines and sales simultaneously.

FML - Since we've only got a 60 minute window (thought it was 60 days, ROOSH) to edit...

Panda

People try speak on the concept of duplicate content like they're experts....it makes me laugh.

In reality (this is client/seo biz/ecom biz side), your most substantial concern is that you have the same content on your website more than once. This confuses the very-mechanical google spiders....they can't decide what to rank and as a result, may kick your shit down a LOT of notches.

There is this rhetoric that syndicating one article 300 times over a (loooong) period of time is bad...it's not. It's call republication. It existed before the web and it exists now.

Handle Your Website Problems First

Since there's a 60 minute limit on edit posts, if you want to know how to avoid dup cIf you've ontent on a WP site, get Michael Spadinacci's (SP?) book SEO for WordPress (or whatever the it's called) on Amazon. He's legit, owner of a top 25 SEO firm, and it's more or less academic, on-page wise. Most importantly, it handles the innate dup content problems WP can create for your site. Yeah, it's a high-end book. I have at least 10 of them and it's the best, easily.

Moving Forward

Drive relevant links to your interior pages...this is how you effective counteract a penalty. If you have a say in the anchor, drive chaos to the interior, just make sure it's relevant at the page level, at the very minimum.

If you need advice on website architecture, drop it below and I'll address it later. I have to get back to work and did not realize there was a 60 min. relegation on editing posts.

Drop responses, questions, and problems below.

Again, if you aren't rolling with anything serious, please refrain from absolute statements. People DO take action based upon posts...unless you're seriously in the game, please, state whether or not it's theory.

Be good, RVF.

SEO Master Thread

Oh man....I just read this and can 100% confirm that I was toasty last night.

Look at all those spelling errors. And I have a writing degree AND get paid for this shit? Hilarious.

All info is legit though. I'll drop more specifics tonight or tomorrow.

SEO Master Thread

That seems a bit too technical.

I can set up a site and get a decent readership through organic traffic and SEO and most of that stuff is still way over my head.

SEO Master Thread

Thanks for the info. I will be reading anything you post on the subject.

I have some questions: how important are backlinks in positioning a page on a particular keyword?

What isthe single most important thing? (that is, if I could only do one thing to improve my SEO, what should it be?)

SEO Master Thread

While I highly appreciate the effort you put in that post, I must say that it's mostly abracadabra for me. I guess I have to hire someone some day to get me ranked better. I now use the All in one SEO plugin to the best of my abilities but feel like my SEO could do a lot better.

I feel like its almost of no use to try and compete with the travel/backpacking blogger world on one hand and the pick up marketeers on the other hand.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

SEO Master Thread

Noob in this area, but can you break down what a "private link network" is?

thanks
WIA

SEO Master Thread

Quote: (10-28-2012 04:15 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Noob in this area, but can you break down what a "private link network" is?

thanks
WIA

Build/buy your own websites so that you have control of what gets linked on them. i.e. your sites.

SEO Master Thread

SEO is mostly dead and the few avenues of profit that remain are dwindling--they're also far too small to justify the amount of time. Your time and money is more profitably spent elsewhere.

SEO Master Thread

Quote: (10-29-2012 05:57 AM)ben-aus Wrote:  

SEO is mostly dead and the few avenues of profit that remain are dwindling--they're also far too small to justify the amount of time. Your time and money is more profitably spent elsewhere.

That really doesnt make much sense. Maybe true if you see SEO as gaming search engines and manipulating your way to the top. That is certainly dying,yes. So is building regurgitated content sites in the hope of passive Adsense income - but that was never "SEO".

As long as there are Search Engines and as long as there are Websites offering a product/service in exchange for $$, there'll be a place for SEO - optimizing your site and your content distribution in order to gain traffic. It's quickly evolving, yes, and overlapping with and becoming more like quality online marketing. But it still exists and always will.

SEO Master Thread

This is just simply untrue.
I mean, it is so untrue that I really don't know how to angle a reply.

I guess the easiest way to start would be: I spend less than $200 per month and less than an hour a week managing my ecommerce SEO - and that is the only form of marketing/advertising I do. What, in your opinion, would be a better use of my time and money for the same budget? (4 hours and $200)

I also run an SEO company, where I retain nearly all of my clients because I give them more customers than they would otherwise get. I'm open to ideas as to how better to help them seeing as apparently my model is completely outdated.

SEO Master Thread

Alpha mind, what is your take on an exact match domain for LOCAL seo? As in roofersvermont.com or something like that, is it going to get hit?

SEO Master Thread

This is completely false.

SEO traffic converts higher than any other form and as long as you're not a fool about it, it's still quite easy.

SEO Master Thread

Quote: (10-29-2012 12:13 PM)unstoppableflow Wrote:  

Alpha mind, what is your take on an exact match domain for LOCAL seo? As in roofersvermont.com or something like that, is it going to get hit?

There's still value. Something like roofersvermont.com is still legit. That said, if you're going to use it, make sure you have the following:

1. address
2. phone number (can be google voice)
3. contact page
4. privacy policy & terms and conditions
5. plenty of pages

There's less weight given to the keywords in a url, but they still matter. You just won't be able to coast up the rankings with it, especially if it's a thin website.

SEO Master Thread

Quote: (10-28-2012 01:40 PM)germanico Wrote:  

Thanks for the info. I will be reading anything you post on the subject.

I have some questions: how important are backlinks in positioning a page on a particular keyword?

What isthe single most important thing? (that is, if I could only do one thing to improve my SEO, what should it be?)

I don't really understand your first question...

The best thing you can do is make sure you're website architecture is on point. WordPress does this well, nearly automatically, but a lot of people still get it wrong.

Backlinks should be random. If you want to rank for "keyword" keep your exact match anchor text with "keyword" @ 10%. I would not go higher than 15%, but some websites still rank. Slow, steady, and random generally wins the race.

SEO Master Thread

Correct me If i'm wrong.

The Niche Site Model
- pick an area
- do some keyword research on Google/Market Samurai (lol)
- looking for keywords that got 3,000 searches per month, but not a lot of competition
- grab the domain name and the hosting
- farm out the content creation, about 20 pieces about the key word, via fiverr, odesk, craig's list, etc
- optimize the site for searching (exact match domain, back links, whatever people were doing)
- put up some ads (adsense or some other network)
- collect the checks

The result was a site with an exact domain match, http://www.htcg2phone.com, with 20 articles about the phone and what you could do with it.

You could get this done relatively quickly, rinse and repeat, and make a few hundred to a couple thousand per month by doing this for lots of niches.

The key to the whole thing was, you'd build it, the traffic would come based on google searches, and at most you'd tweak the site. But it wouldn't be like blogging, where you were constantly and regularly adding content. So your active efforts would be focused building sites over and over again.

Is everyone switching over to the labor intensive "authority sites", which is essentially a niche site with better content?

Or is there still room for thin sites?

WIA

SEO Master Thread

If you're interested in grabbing/trading links (not the traditional exchange model), visit this thread.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-17621.html

SEO Master Thread

Panda 2.1 Update

This rolled out November 5th. Anyone here feel it?

I did and it helped one of my eCommerce properties substantially.

Here's Why

I outsource adding new products to my main oDesker. His written English isn't good enough for writing descriptions, but his shopping cart skills are top-shelf.

Rather than just have him copy & paste these descriptions, which nearly every other competitor does, I have him implement the following:

2 H2 tags which go as follows:

"Brand Name Product Name Details"

Which looks like...

"Top-Shelf Natural EPA/DHA Fish Oil 120 Enteric Coated Capsules"

The other is "Buy Product Name From Brand Name"

"Buy Natural EPA/DHA Fish Oil from Top-Shelf"

Then, he adds a random H3 tag that looks like:

"Modifier Brand Name Product Name Modifier"

He randomizes them at will.

On top of that, I have my product pages setup to include two blocks of content beneath the barely modified product listing which adds 200 more words to the content on each page. This can be a disclaimer, guarantee, etc.

On Duplicate Content

People tend to think that duplicate content is copying something from another website, which IT IS, but Google is--in my opinion--a bit more concerned with duplicate content on your own website. They want to know what to show in the SERPs. If you confuse them, they're less likely to show your pages.

A great strategy is curated content. Mercola.com does this very well. It's essentially your own commentary on another article/post somewhere else on the web. Your commentary/content goes ABOVE the article/post you're copying and posting about. Make sure you link to the referenced content before you post it.

Keep commentary @ 300 words or more. This make curated content a very easy strategy to outsource, especially for interior pages.

It has been working well consistently for me and is now paying dividends after this most recent update.

Quote: (10-30-2012 12:46 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Correct me If i'm wrong.

The Niche Site Model
- pick an area
- do some keyword research on Google/Market Samurai (lol)
- looking for keywords that got 3,000 searches per month, but not a lot of competition
- grab the domain name and the hosting
- farm out the content creation, about 20 pieces about the key word, via fiverr, odesk, craig's list, etc
- optimize the site for searching (exact match domain, back links, whatever people were doing)
- put up some ads (adsense or some other network)
- collect the checks

The result was a site with an exact domain match, http://www.htcg2phone.com, with 20 articles about the phone and what you could do with it.

You could get this done relatively quickly, rinse and repeat, and make a few hundred to a couple thousand per month by doing this for lots of niches.

The key to the whole thing was, you'd build it, the traffic would come based on google searches, and at most you'd tweak the site. But it wouldn't be like blogging, where you were constantly and regularly adding content. So your active efforts would be focused building sites over and over again.

Is everyone switching over to the labor intensive "authority sites", which is essentially a niche site with better content?

Or is there still room for thin sites?

WIA

That is a working model, in very general terms. Unless you've got the .com, .net, or .org, I would avoid other exact match domains.

A lot of people make websites EMDs for local markets. I don't like geographic modifiers for niche websites unless you want it there for a very specific reason. If you start making money in that local niche market with ads, products, etc., it's substantially harder to scale out from a organic search perspective, because you have that geographic modifier in the url.

I DO like using geographic modifiers when I want to target a local market for a specific reason. For example, in SEO, if I can come up with a decent brand name and add a geo mod onto the front or back because I know the budgets are higher in a given market, I'll do that.

SEO Master Thread

Quote: (11-11-2012 07:19 PM)Alpha Mind Wrote:  

Panda 2.1 Update

Here's Why

Yes. I've had a very good week, psychologically.

Panda and Penguin threw me for quite a while. I just thought I'd no idea where the hell Google were going with it.

This latest set of changes has given me confidence that the sky isn't falling. I'm not going to lie, I've lost a couple of adsense sites that were .info this week and giving me a nice little income-nest, but that is completely irrelevant in the wider sense that I am getting a better idea of where Google is going with it.

That, and I've moved my strategies well away from what they were. For my clients, I'm concentrating a lot more now on getting ratios right and less on rankings.

I'm sure you're on top of this, but I've found making backlinks, if only a couple, to every page on the site elevates the site significantly. I can't believe that six months ago I never bothered backlinking to product pages as a matter of course.

In terms of curated content, I've found that for my ecommerce pages, if you copy the descriptions that the manufacturer supplies like everyone else, but then add a hundred words or so of unique content, smack a couple of low-key backlinks to each product page and make sure you have an address etc. on your site, you'll rank on the first page for most products.

SEO Master Thread

My earnings have increased almost two fold after the latest update. I'm glad to have schramko as my mentor, he's got great information.

SEO Master Thread

Quote: (11-12-2012 05:15 AM)Kitsune Wrote:  

Quote: (11-11-2012 07:19 PM)Alpha Mind Wrote:  

Panda 2.1 Update

Here's Why

Yes. I've had a very good week, psychologically.

Panda and Penguin threw me for quite a while. I just thought I'd no idea where the hell Google were going with it.

This latest set of changes has given me confidence that the sky isn't falling. I'm not going to lie, I've lost a couple of adsense sites that were .info this week and giving me a nice little income-nest, but that is completely irrelevant in the wider sense that I am getting a better idea of where Google is going with it.

That, and I've moved my strategies well away from what they were. For my clients, I'm concentrating a lot more now on getting ratios right and less on rankings.

I'm sure you're on top of this, but I've found making backlinks, if only a couple, to every page on the site elevates the site significantly. I can't believe that six months ago I never bothered backlinking to product pages as a matter of course.

In terms of curated content, I've found that for my ecommerce pages, if you copy the descriptions that the manufacturer supplies like everyone else, but then add a hundred words or so of unique content, smack a couple of low-key backlinks to each product page and make sure you have an address etc. on your site, you'll rank on the first page for most products.

AWESOME. The process is to never give up. The sky will NEVER fall.

Even if you get a penalty, never give up. Just like running game.

Links to interior pages are the way. Links to your home page should be brand name or raw url, for the most part.

Google will send people in the ghetto if other websites show them the way, but they do not want to venture into the hill country.

Run with that.

Quote: (11-12-2012 05:22 AM)BrownBear Wrote:  

My earnings have increased almost two fold after the latest update. I'm glad to have schramko as my mentor, he's got great information.

Fucking solid. One of my top websites doubled as well. I am elated, to say the least.

Congrats to us both.

Let's keep this going.

SEO Master Thread

If I hit 4k a month I won't go to uni haha.

SEO Master Thread

Quote: (11-12-2012 10:24 AM)BrownBear Wrote:  

If you hit 4K and go to uni, you will get more vagina than you ever thought possible.

And I speak from experience.

Also, going to uni makes you a better man. If you're making that much money per month, study history, philosophy, and literature.

Quote the epics. It works.

SEO Master Thread

Quote: (11-12-2012 04:28 PM)Alpha Mind Wrote:  

Quote: (11-12-2012 10:24 AM)BrownBear Wrote:  

If you hit 4K and go to uni, you will get more vagina than you ever thought possible.

And I speak from experience.

Also, going to uni makes you a better man. If you're making that much money per month, study history, philosophy, and literature.

Quote the epics. It works.

I agree with Alpha Mind here. I went to Uni and it was awesome. If I'd already been making the money online with the schedule I have now, I would have been lethal.

SEO Master Thread

SEO isn't dead but its haarddd. Instead of fighting SEO, now Google is optimizing the optimizers. If you think its easy, then you are probably in for a rude awakening.

I dropped out of school because of what was SEO earnings. I can't imagine doing the same today. My original sites made money for a good 6 years. I tried to get back in to SEO, and I had one particular site netting around $1000 a day earlier this year; now it makes $0. Good luck.

SEO Master Thread

Quote: (11-12-2012 05:22 AM)BrownBear Wrote:  

Did I miss something? Who is schramko?

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling