rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Beginner on SS...Stalling on OHP/BP

Background info- 23 yo, 6ft 2", BW- 172lbs. Used to play hockey,tennis at beginning of HS, lifted on and off for 2 years (mostly off, dental school was a huge timesink). 3 weeks into SS program.

Studied SS(both videos and text) rigorously for 1 week, OHP was much higher because I was using incorrect form (push press and not straight ohp)

Key lagging points on my BP is about 1/2 way up transitioning from bent elbows to lockout. OHP lagging point is about 2-3 inches above ears (guessing, dont really look at the mirror).

Diet- stuffing my face near constantly. Packed meal- Brown rice, black beans, 1lb of chicken breast/beef/fish, veggies (salsa, stir-fry). Protein shake before workout supplemented w/blended almonds. Dinner- brown rice, black beans, veggies and chicken/beef/fish. 1 vanilla ice-cream McDees cone during the day (4x/week) (yea, i know, but i got to stay sane somehow). Have blendtec, make kale, cucumber, blueberry, almond blend 3x/week.

Supplements- Vitamin D3 (5000ui), Magnesium 400mg, Glucosamine chondroitin, multivitamin, Calcium 500mg

Heres my log-

9/25- squat 145( 4x5), press 95(1x5,2x4), deadlift (195x5)
9/27- squat 145 (5x5), BP 135 (5x5), Deadlift 195x5
9/29- squat 155(3x5), BP 145 (3x4) (w/sam spotting), Deadlift 205 (1x5)
10/1- squat 165(3x5), OHP 65 (3x5)
10/3- squat 175(1x3) 165(2x5), BP 140(1x4) 135(3x5), Deadlift 215(1x5)
10/5- squat 175 (3x5), OHP 75 2x5, 80 1x5, Deadlift 225 (1x5, 1x3), chinups x5, Pullupx4
10/7- squat 180 (3x5), BP 140 2x5, 145 1x4, 140 1x5, Deadlift 245 1x5
10/10- squat 185 (3x5), OHP 75 2x5, 1-3, Deadlift 265(1x5), Chinups 1x6,1x5, Pushup 15

Tips/Suggestions

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Also, I am working out alone. Doing squats in power-rack. BP is not viable to do in power-rack due to larger than normal lines.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Stalling dude? You've been working out less than 3 weeks!

I'm no expert on this matter, but take time. You sample size is so small that these fluctuations could come down to a million different things. When I lift, some days I lack focus, sometimes I'm tired, I work out at different times, etc.

Probably a form issue. Go back and re-read the sections in SS about stalling. It is outlined in there what to do. Basically, dial back the weight and go from there. With a new lifter, form is a lot of times a limiting factor. I haven't lifted in three years up until 2-3 months ago and my form is hindering some of my lifts because of such a long layoff.

Form issue. Make sure you're flexible enough for your squats. Form tends to break down mainly due to flexibility issues, not strength problems. Check out this article + video and do it!

http://defrancostraining.com/ask-joe-tes...ility.html

How many diamond pushups can you do and how many standard pushups? It seriously sound's like weak triceps, I had them. They were fast to fix.

Starting Strength is for a pure newby with very little previous weight lifting. It allows you to get comfortable with the lifts and progress in a linear fashion.

Some lifts will be stronger than the others.

Lets look at your lifts individually.

Squat - Progressing great. Keep adding 5lbs as SS indicates. If you miss it one day, don't worry, try the next day. If you miss it again, drop the weight 5lbs and go from there. If you miss that weight again, you've tapped out in THIS program fro the squat and need to bump it up to an intermediate.

Deadlift - same - still going up. Keep going

Press: You mention Press, and OHP - these are the same in terminology, do you mean them to be the same? When I forst started SS 5 years ago, the press and bench were my weakest and still are. I tapped out fast. I would say if you're a newby, keep doing SS programming for the press until your squat and deadlift slow down. Adding 5lbs is probably to heavy to jump. I would say add 1-2lbs. You can get fractional plates at IRON WOODY. I bought a set. I go to a traditional strength gym with Westside barbell guys. I can keep my plates there. I would try that first

Chinup/Pullup - I would suggest you stick to one a workout and I would suggest pullup over chinup. Pull ups are hard There a few exercises that a true tests of strength. Squat, pistols and pullups.

For pull ups I would do reverse pyramid. Attach 5 lbs to your waist and pull up until you break form. probably 2 or 3. Drop the weight and do same reps +1. So if with weight you did 3 reps, drop the weight then do 4 reps. When you get to about 5 or 6 reps with weight, add 5lbs.

Bench - bench is a difficult press. After reading SS and benching for a few years, when I joined this strenght gym it was immediately corrected. Wrong angle and positioning of shoulders. My suggestion is just make sure your form is good, or you won't progress.

Also,

It's been 3 weeks. SS should be done for a bout 3 months.

And, IMO, you're eating like shit. But, thats your own philosophy.

Thanks Zeus,

What would you change about diet?