rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

It´s not Fake until you Make it, it´s Fake until you Become it...

At TED there is a very interesting talk that questions the "Fake until you make it". We know our behavior (our body language) influences other people, but does it influence ourselves?

https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your...u_are.html

The quick facts:

Our body language influences our own body, and his hormone production.

-Two minutes in a “power pose” (a pose of dominance) increases Testosterone (good for dominance) and lessens cortisol (which control stress) so we are more dominant and more stress free.

-A pose of submission does a negative effect(less testosterone, more cortisol) although not in the same quantities that the positive one.

-That does not mean that we have to be in a a power pose always. But using a power pose BEFORE a stressful situation (a job application, a presentation, a date) will release hormones that will help us better.

-There is not “Fake until you make it”. If you repeat some situation acting according to how they should be acted enough times, you will become the thing you were “faking” due to the skills/confidence/hormones that you gain “faking” it. There is “Faking until you become it”.

Of course faking being a millionaire wouldn’t work, but faking being confident will make you more confident.

Nothing will make you more confident than KNOWING that you are better than the woman across you.

It's really make it until you become it.

In psychology this is called autohypnosis.

If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Disable "Click here to Continue"

My Testosterone Adventure: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V

Quote:Quote:
if it happened to you it’s your fault, I got no sympathy and I don’t believe your version of events.

Quote: (10-03-2012 09:31 AM)EisenBarde Wrote:  

It's really make it until you become it.

I agree with this.

not trying to be all metaphysical here, but really the moto is:

"be it".

Quote: (10-03-2012 10:32 AM)kdolo Wrote:  

not trying to be all metaphysical here, but really the moto is:

"be it".

Well, the key difference there is that "fake it till you make it" or "make it till you become it" is meant to summarize the process where your rational mind makes a conscious decision to imitate highly specific behavior, with the ultimate goal of modifying long-term behavior.

"Fake it till you make it" is about ignoring the uncomfortable feelings that tend to be associated with conscious attempts to project confidence, and eventually those uncomfortable feelings will go away or at least be minimized.

"Make it till you become it" is about exercising displays of confidence in safer environments, leading to hormone changes so that you naturally project more confidence in challenging environments.