rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Books Similar to Neil/Naughty Nomad/English Teacher X/Etc.?

I've read quite a few books which are similar, but after stumbling upon English Teacher X, and Black Passenger Yellow Cabs, I was wondering which other books like this do I not know about yet?

The books I have read/or know about are:
Neil Skywalkers
Naughty Nomads
Roosh: A Dead Bat In Paraguay
English Teacher X
Imagine: A Vagabond Story (good read I haven't seen mentioned here.)
Do Travel Writers Go To Hell? (another good read)
Vagabonding (got me started with reading in this niche/wanting to travel)

Has anyone read either of these? Are they similar?
http://www.amazon.com/My-Exile-Lifestyle...008&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Nomadic-ebook...m_kstore_6

P.S., I'm an extremely shallow person, so if there is no booze/sex/drugs in the book, I'm probably not interested.

Thanks all.

Rio Nomad,

"The Wolf of Wall Street" is packed to the gills with booze/sex/drugs and $ too. It's not all that much about travel, but it has the elements you requested in huge quantities.

The Fruit Palace

Dirty Havana Trilogy

Cojito's Panama blog

Also Jack Kerouac. Especially On the Road and The Dharma Bums.

Off the Rails in Phnomh Penh

Private Dancer

Money Number One

Paul carter: Don't Tell Mom I Work on the Rigs: She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse

Thanks guys. Off the Rails in Phnomh Penh is one I've been wanting, but it isn't available on Kindle. Money Number One doesn't appear to be either.

Quote: (10-02-2012 10:57 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Thanks guys. Off the Rails in Phnomh Penh is one I've been wanting, but it isn't available on Kindle. Money Number One doesn't appear to be either.

If you have a 2nd generation Kindle it can read PDF's so you could get Money Number One.

Edit: You can an ebook version of Off the Rails in Phnom Penh from Asia Books and then just google how to read epub books on Kindle.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

Money number one is a very funny but also informative book. A must read for any new comer to South East Crazia. I read the book in Indonesia when I already left Thailand behind but so many things were recognizable in all SEA countries.

I can't wait to have a kindle myself but the problem is getting one if you live in Holland. I want the new Kindle paperwhite that's coming out in a few weeks but Amazon Usa doesn't ship this model to Holland. (yes, I called Amazon about it) and Amazon europe only sells the older models for rip off prices.

I need to find someone to buy it in the states and send it to me for a small reward.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Quote: (10-03-2012 04:41 AM)Neil Skywalker Wrote:  

Money number one is a very funny but also informative book. A must read for any new comer to South East Crazia. I read the book in Indonesia when I already left Thailand behind but so many things were recognizable in all SEA countries.

I can't wait to have a kindle myself but the problem is getting one if you live in Holland. I want the new Kindle paperwhite that's coming out in a few weeks but Amazon Usa doesn't ship this model to Holland. (yes, I called Amazon about it) and Amazon europe only sells the older models for rip off prices.

I need to find someone to buy it in the states and send it to me for a small reward.

PM me, I can do it. Have done this type of thing for my friend in NZ.

Roosh's recommendation: The Exile: Sex Drugs and Libel in the New Russia

Quote:Quote:

Saw the sales page for Money Number One; the cover picture is probably all you need to tell you what's inside, and "How to take the Bar out of the girl -A guide for men who have fallen in love with Thai bar girls" is advertised next to it lol. There always seem to be a market for rehashed bang-bar-girl memoirs but for more funny Pattaya whoremonger stories just check the Stickman site.

Quote: (10-02-2012 11:00 PM)Soma Wrote:  

Quote: (10-02-2012 10:57 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

If you have a 2nd generation Kindle it can read PDF's so you could get Money Number One.

Edit: You can an ebook version of Off the Rails in Phnom Penh from Asia Books and then just google how to read epub books on Kindle.

Do e-book readers display correct formatting when reading pdfs? What about pictures and tables?

The Alchemist

Theres no booze, sex or drugs but its simply awesome.

Off The Rails in Phnom Penh is a crazy read. Sex, drugs, guns, child abuse. The lot.

Quote: (10-03-2012 10:18 AM)the_conductor Wrote:  

Roosh's recommendation: The Exile: Sex Drugs and Libel in the New Russia

Saw the sales page for Money Number One; the cover picture is probably all you need to tell you what's inside, and "How to take the Bar out of the girl -A guide for men who have fallen in love with Thai bar girls" is advertised next to it lol. There always seem to be a market for rehashed bang-bar-girl memoirs but for more funny Pattaya whoremonger stories just check the Stickman site.

The book is more a warning book for naive guys who come to Thailand to find the love of their life or just as a sex tourist but get sucked into a relationship with a bargirl . It displays all the tricks the girls pull on them.

Trust me. It's funny and very recognizable if you have been to Bangkok and Pattaya. But i would advise any guy without game who plans to visit SEA to read the book.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

Quote: (10-03-2012 01:55 PM)IainMuirs Wrote:  

Off The Rails in Phnom Penh is a crazy read. Sex, drugs, guns, child abuse. The lot.

I must read that one some day. i had some fucked up shit going on in Phnom Penh myself.

Off the Rails - highly recommended for sure.

Read both the Neil and Naughty Nomad books last week in the DR. Really liked both.

I must read that one some day. i had some fucked up shit going on in Phnom Penh myself.

Surprised you didn't when there, it's the backpackers book of choice. The guys featured in the book were all absolute deviants and not in a good way.

A friend recommended The Warlizard Chronicles. He gave me the book but I've not read it yet.

Reading the Wolf of Wallstreet now. It's just ok in my eyes. Definitely not Ludlum by any means, but some here may enjoy it.

We all have different tastes.

For pure game/drugs/sex/booze, I really liked "Get Laid or Die Trying" by Jeff from RSD. He barely leaves San Fran so you don't get much of the travel side, but his lay reports are hilarious, deranged and very Hunter S. Thompson-esque. He's also a very good writer. (He's now a prolific PU instructor but there's no PU teaching in it, it's all just his crazy stories)

A guy I can recommend is Jim Rogers: "Investment Biker" and "Adventure Capitalist". He did the first around the world motorcycle trip. The second book he did in 2000 around the world in an car/SUV w/ his then GF, now wife. He married a girl about 25 years younger when he was 58. Cool guy. Now moved to Singapore and you can catch him on CNBC or Fox News sometimes.

It may be 20 years old but read Pico Iyer's "Video Night in Katmandu". Several travel writers said it was their favorite travel book.

I think most travel writers are fairly boring guys and their books reflect this.

Who is the: "Money Number One" by? They only have copies of it for several hundred dollars on Amazon.

"Do Travel Writers Go to Hell" - is this book good?

http://www.amazon.com/My-Exile-Lifestyle...008&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Nomadic-ebook...m_kstore_6

RioNomad, you mentioned the previous two books. I looked them up on Amazon.

I love the idea of traveling forever on the cheap, but I still think it's a fantasy. I'd love to prove myself wrong and live and work location independently. Unfortunately, I think most of the guys that profess they are living and doing freelance writing or editing or E-business are just bullshitting. My guess is that they have a trust fund or some other money. I'd love to do it, but unfortunately, I believe I'll still have to work a real "bricks and mortar" day job for quite a few years to come.

It's decent enough.

I love the idea of traveling forever on the cheap, but I still think it's a fantasy. I'd love to prove myself wrong and live and work location independently. Unfortunately, I think most of the guys that profess they are living and doing freelance writing or editing or E-business are just bullshitting. My guess is that they have a trust fund or some other money. I'd love to do it, but unfortunately, I believe I'll still have to work a real "bricks and mortar" day job for quite a few years to come.

There will be some out there bullshitting about it but plenty of people do it these days. Either living abroad full time from online income or working whilst travelling. It's very possible if you work hard at it. Why would it not be?

What are you doing to kickstart your online location independent career?

Quote: (10-04-2012 11:35 AM)IainMuirs Wrote:  

It's decent enough.

There will be some out there bullshitting about it but plenty of people do it these days. Either living abroad full time from online income or working whilst travelling. It's very possible if you work hard at it. Why would it not be?

What are you doing to kickstart your online location independent career?

Tell me some good books, blogs, etc. to read. Seriously good with some hardcore specifics. Not just high level airy things.

I started my blog and will probably write some books about the travel I've done to 48 countries. I have an idea for something else that makes money and I can maintain it from anywhere in the world.

Are you living location independent or do you know some people that are? I will be glad to contact them and see what I can learn.

The 4 hour work week is bullshit. My guess is Roosh puts in more than 8 hours a day working on his Forum or writing books. I have one friend that has been on the internet for 10 years and has had his own website and Forum for 6 years. He works more hours a day than he would on a 9 to 5 job. I think he just got profitable a year ago. I'm not sure if he's telling the truth about how much money he makes either.

Any other suggestions that you KNOW work will be appreciated.

Quote: (10-04-2012 03:49 PM)brianmark Wrote:  

Tell me some good books, blogs, etc. to read. Seriously good with some hardcore specifics. Not just high level airy things.

I started my blog and will probably write some books about the travel I've done to 48 countries. I have an idea for something else that makes money and I can maintain it from anywhere in the world.

Are you living location independent or do you know some people that are? I will be glad to contact them and see what I can learn.

The 4 hour work week is bullshit. My guess is Roosh puts in more than 8 hours a day working on his Forum or writing books. I have one friend that has been on the internet for 10 years and has had his own website and Forum for 6 years. He works more hours a day than he would on a 9 to 5 job. I think he just got profitable a year ago. I'm not sure if he's telling the truth about how much money he makes either.

Any other suggestions that you KNOW work will be appreciated.

Until recently I was making $1,000-$1,800 a month working less than 4 hours a week. I was able to do this with one affiliate site in the MMA clothing niche, and a related coupon code site. Once they were off the ground and had decent traffic (5,000-12,000 unique per month) I was able to hire an American writer to do my short daily product posts for me for $150 a month, freeing up nearly all of my time.

Unfortunately, the company I did my main affiliate sales through, MMAWarehouse, was bought out and cut their commissions in half. This, combined with my lack of desire to work on the site, and decrease in traffic due to a couple Google updates, left me with a big dip in my income. The two sites sat idle for 6-7 months until I decided to sell them. I got $4,900 for them.

If I hadn't been so lazy, I would of had similar sites in half a dozen niches, with a small team of native English speaking writers doing my content for me. I could be doing fairly decent for myself and working very few hours. My biggest problem was not being motivated, and not continuing to build on what I already had.

Right now I have jumped into e-commerce and I am just getting started. I should be able to make substantially more money in my new venture, and still not have to work much. I will have to work more than I did in the past, but once the product descriptions/contentment is complete, and the site has some decent traffic, the work load is not much. 1-4 hours per day depending on how many orders I have to process, and how much effort I am putting into linkbuilding.

Of course, all of this can be outsourced once you are making some cash. You just have to build it up to that point. Phone calls can be outsourced to call centers in Colombia/Mexico which staff immigrants who had been deported from the US, who have perfect English. Email outsourced to the Phils where they can answer the large majority of emails, which will be the same basic questions (can you ship to so and so, does it come with a remote? How big is it? etc.) Link building and SEO can also be outsourced, and once you have the money for it, is probably a good idea as it can be time consuming and monotonous.

As far as 4 hours a week vs 4 a day vs 8 a day. It all depends on the business you go into. A writer like Roosh may have to spend a lot of time writing. Someone doing affiliate sites may spend a lot of time up front, but once they are built and ranked, won't have much work to do. If you have startup cash, you can outsource a lot of work and get your work hours down low. If you are an online consultant, you might have to work several hours a day, as you can't outsource it. Just depends on your business and niche. There isn't one way to make money online, there are hundreds. Just like in real life. A carpet cleaner may have to work 10 hours a day, but the guy who owns the trailer park may be able to stick a manager in there and the owner works relatively few hours.

Can we do this discussion/argument somewhere else though? I would rather stick to the book topic. Thanks.

Unfortunately, many of the books recommended are not available on the kindle. The exile, and off the rails I really want to read. Kindle has spoiled me with instant gratification, not sure I can order and read a paperback anymore lol.