rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Where to focus? EE or SA?

I'm not trying to start another EE vs SA thread here, what I'd like some feedback on is whether any of you have chosen one route over the other and if you would have done anything differently in retrospect. I only have so much time and resources and what I would like to do is focus on one area ie. learning the language, women, culture, possibly pursuing potential job opportunities there in the future, and extended travel if not relocation to this area.

Earlier this year I'd determined that Brazil was my project. I began studying Portuguese and am in the process of planning a trip there for next year. My thought was that I could parlay Portuguese knowledge easily into Spanish after several years of study and open up the rest of S America (obviously of note is Colombia) as well as open potential career opportunities in wealth management or something along those lines as Brazil growth economically. Also of interest is gaining Brazilian citizenship along the way.

Now I've been having second thoughts. I've realized that the type of women I'm most attracted to (or at least from what I currently know about them and myself) are EE girls. I also find the EE cultures to be extremely interesting. Now I know learning Russian is no small feat, but what I'm talking about here is at least a decade of focused effort.

One of my goals is fluency in another language, and while that's not what I'm asking about here specifically, it obviously is a large component as so many of these datasheet and threads mention that fluency is a HUGE component.

The more I learn the harder the decision becomes, but being stuck in a stagnant state of indecision isn't going to get me anywhere.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Why not visit both areas for a short time to get a feel for them, then make a decision? I don't think you can (or should) substitute other people's preferences and experiences for your own. Obviously you know that SA and EE cultures are completely different.

I definitely plan on visiting Brazil Colombia and EE (Poland or Romania most likely) over the next year or two. Unfortunately spending a month in each isn't feasible right now and I wouldn't want to let a week's trip have too much influence.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

If you prefer EE girls start learning Russian. We've been told countless times by guys with experience over there that solid knowledge of the language is a massive game changer. Start now and you will be looking good in 2 years, 10 is nowhere near necessary. There's far more material available for learning Russian to an advanced level then there is for Portuguese. I've been working on Modern Russian 1 (which can be found online by resourceful people) and it's tough and a bit dated but extremely comprehensive and if you are interested in Soviet history at all, interesting in it's own right. Let me know if you want more info, I've got a lot of russian resources.

Incidentally I prefer latinas which is one reason why I chose to learn Spanish before Russian, and why I'm in Colombia. But it's time to look to the future as well for me. In a nutshell, if you prefer EE girls, make it happen! There's no excuses.

But if you go to Poland, there is no point learning Russian! Why not try CE (Central Europe) ? Maybe Croatia. Of course, if you intend to move and not have location independent income, the choice of country should not really be governed by women.

Quote: (10-01-2012 09:12 AM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Now I know learning Russian is no small feat, but what I'm talking about here is at least a decade of focused effort.

so you plan on spending a decade of focused effort in your chosen area of interest, but don't want to invest two one month long trips in each area to determine which one is worth the investment?

That doesn't make sense.

You have to get on the ground in each place, make as many contacts as you can before and during, experience as much as possible, then delve deeper. You may be a year into one place and realize it's not for you, hell, even multiple years. You don't have to spend a decade in just SA or EE. You could spend five in each if you want and still have a handle on both Russian and Portuguese.

Personally I chose spanish and am going to pursue portuguese shortly. Why? With Russian, Polish, Italian, etc, you have a limited country base. Whereas with spanish, you have most of central south america, much of central america and the carribbean. Add portuguese to that mix and you can speak the language of a few places in Africa as well as of Brazil and Portugal. Now if you speak Russian, I think you're limited to what? Ukraine, Russian, Belarus, Kazakhstan?

Quote: (10-03-2012 01:39 PM)Rurik Wrote:  

Quote: (10-01-2012 09:12 AM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Now I know learning Russian is no small feat, but what I'm talking about here is at least a decade of focused effort.

so you plan on spending a decade of focused effort in your chosen area of interest, but don't want to invest two one month long trips in each area to determine which one is worth the investment?

That doesn't make sense.

You have to get on the ground in each place, make as many contacts as you can before and during, experience as much as possible, then delve deeper. You may be a year into one place and realize it's not for you, hell, even multiple years. You don't have to spend a decade in just SA or EE. You could spend five in each if you want and still have a handle on both Russian and Portuguese.

Yeah I agree it's more like which one to do first. And a decade was an exaggeration, thinking like 3-5 years.

I'm planning on checking out both regions myself in the near future and face a similar dilemma. I would strongly advocate Rurik's idea, it could save you a lot of time and money. For long term living you need to put in your due diligence of research AND fieldwork.

Take some time to browse the forum, internet and read into both regions cultures and history as well as different cities.
Learn some of the basics in both languages and pipeline contacts for business and pleasure in those regions.
Plan a short trip to each region to get a feel, maybe you'd like EE over SA or vice versa.
Do an internship while learning the language, if you want to feel the pulse of business, play the game. Also, keep building a network and game the women to see if you click.
Most people know within 3 months of living and networking if it's their spot. If not, bounce to the other region.

Personally, my solo adventure was going from the gulf to studying and working in 5 different NA cities. I'm planning to do a RTW hitting Europe, Russia and South America once I get some capital.

Lavidaloca, the entire FSU and Russia is a massive untapped market. It is barely westernized, desolate and contains tons of natural resources. If you are the adventurous entrepreneurial type who can do his due diligence - there is mad coin to be made. I know kids who started doing business with local firms in Iraq, Afghanistan and Kazakhstan who are all minting money selling shit live refurbished electronics. If you have an eye for business, Mandarin may be good, but Russian, Arabic and Portugese by far would be more strategic. Players are slowly discovering the benefits of their speakers as their nations open up towards the west.