rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tutoring standardized tests

Does anyone here do it? I mean SAT, GMAT, GRE, LSAT, etc. Seems like you are paid pretty well and you can be very mobile and fit it around your schedule. If you are pretty smart and have done well on tests in the past, it looks like a very good opportunity to make some cash.

For example, ManhattanGMAT pays 100$ per hour for GMAT teaching:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/instructor-jobs.cfm

You have to get a good enough score on those tests first. Which only 1% or so of people succeed in doing. Then you gotta get the job over others in that 1%. It isn't exactly easy.

Quote: (09-30-2012 12:50 PM)lavidaloca Wrote:  

You have to get a good enough score on those tests first. Which only 1% or so of people succeed in doing. Then you gotta get the job over others in that 1%. It isn't exactly easy.

I wasn't saying that it is easy - but if you're smart and do well on tests its doable after hard work. People are able to increase their scores significantly after putting in prep. Don't know about the competition for the jobs though - a lot of the 1% scorers will be top MBA students who are likely to be in consulting/finance, I don't think they will be vying for these jobs.

I have some experience in this. My scores were either perfect, or close to it, at least for what I tutored in. The hardest part is really getting the clients. You want to charge a lot? Find rich parents (probably doesn't apply to the graduate exams). Once you have that, you have to teach the material confidently, and also make the parents feel like they're getting their money's worth. The pay depends on the wealth of your clients and your volume of hours, and many choose not to report any income to the government. I met a chick off OKC, a Cal Tech grad, who claimed friends of hers made $250 an hour tax free, tutoring. Paul Janka the pickup artist also makes his dough this way. Once you're established among certain schools or communities, people will pass your name around, so you'll get business via referrals.

How do you find work? Talk to teachers at local schools, maybe offer to help them out. Buy pencils with your tutoring business name on it and give them to teachers. Post up fliers at schools and on Craigslist. Offer referral bonuses in the form of free tutoring.

You can find work through an agency as well, but you'll have to make it through the interview, as well as get paid less. I went to one interview and bombed when they asked me to do something I initially forgot how to do - completing squares.

If by 'mobile' you mean 'driving all around the city' well yes, but that's not a good thing. And the client dictates your hours, not you.

Quote: (09-30-2012 05:46 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

If by 'mobile' you mean 'driving all around the city' well yes, but that's not a good thing. And the client dictates your hours, not you.

No, I meant that if you work for test prep company, they have locations worldwide and you can also deliver classes online. For example, princeton review have centers in Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Korea, etc. Manhattan GMAT does prep in San Paulo for example.