rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Need some immediate help

Need some immediate help

Long story short: As of yesterday I'm on my own with only a backpack of clothes and three grand in the bank.

Usually I'm not one to ask for advice, but this isn't a typical situation. What would you guys do in my shoes?

I'm looking into heading to North Dakota to work in the oil fields, otherwise I'm thinking about moving to either Madison or Minneapolis and getting a bartending/coffee house type job while I further develop my blog and launch my music site.

At the moment I have no family, no housing, and will be hit with a crushing wave of student debt if I continue to stay in school.

Right now I'm doing some job hunting, so I'll try and check this thread as much as possible.

Any advice is more than appreciated.

Need some immediate help

No wheels? Where are you?

Need some immediate help

Iowa, and no wheels either.

Need some immediate help

look into cheap plane tickets and get the fuck out of the U.S. and go somewhere much cheaper and get some perspective.

Need some immediate help

Quote: (09-28-2012 10:45 AM)Cookie Wrote:  

Oh yeah you're the dude that went to Belize right? Why don't you go there and try to work in a resort? I saw some super cheap places on airbnb.

Need some immediate help

I dont understand why are you guys telling cookie to go abroad.

USA has way more opportunities to make money. Stay home, move to North Dakota and get that money. How old are you by the way?

Need some immediate help

Move in with a friend. Pay him 200 bucks to stay on his couch or spare bedroom. If you don't have any buddies who can help you, rent a room from someone. This should be easy in a college town. Get a job.

Where is your family?

Need some immediate help

Quote: (09-28-2012 10:59 AM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Quote: (09-28-2012 10:45 AM)Cookie Wrote:  

Oh yeah you're the dude that went to Belize right? Why don't you go there and try to work in a resort? I saw some super cheap places on airbnb.

I think he went to Nicaragua.

Anyways, I think pitt is right. Going abroad might just even make your situation worse if you don't have a stable income.

What about your friends? The first thing you need to do is find a place to stay, start browsing and asking around for a place to crash. Then plan the next step from there.

Need some immediate help

Thanks for all the suggestions.

This morning I moved in with one of my good friends, where I'm going to stay until I can get a new job and plan my next steps.

At the moment I'm planning on staying in the States (although going back to Belize, or the nicer part of Nicaragua did cross my mind).

I'll also quickly explain what happened that lead me to being entirely on my own:

Yesterday I was back home helping my parents on their farm. Over the summer they lost a lot of livestock and have been in some financial trouble as a result. Whenever they're under stress, they often act irrationally and are prone to fly off the handle in fits of rage.

All day my parents and I were getting along just fine, talking about going to Oktoberfest and making jokes.

In the late afternoon my dad asked my to help him out by backing on a truck so that he could attach it to a trailer. While doing so I accidentally ran over the family cat who ran under the vehicle.

Immediately upon having their cat run over my parents started freaking out, kicked me out of the house and emailed a link containing my blog to all my other family members/people I know.

While I was kicked out over hitting the cat, which I felt terrible about, I think the real reason they were so pissed was because of their financial situation. They brought up money and their lack of it about fifteen times while they were yelling at me.

Like I said, I felt bad about hitting the cat and it was a complete accident. Also, I'm a really great worker and get along well with all the bosses I've had in the past (I work seasonal jobs though, so none of them have any work available at the moment) I'm not really worried about not getting work or starving to death due to laziness.

Once again I appreciate all the suggestions offered, and will be working towards rebuilding my life.

Need some immediate help

hahahahaa, you remind me of a friend of mine.

how old are you man?

Need some immediate help

This story reminds me of this song. They will probably call you tomorrow and ask you to come back but maybe it's time you do this. Make it happen on your own. It's the most valuable life skill

Need some immediate help

Thats kind of a weird and sad story. But its good to hear you got your shit straight despite whats happened. Its important to not lose focus.

Need some immediate help

$3000? I thought you were going to say you were flat broke. Having $3,000 is far from being broke/screwed. I guarantee you that $3,000 is much more than some of the guys on here have. I started my law practice with 10 $100 bills and no bank account and I have been making money ever since. When I asked for financial help from "friends" and family members to start my practice they either said "fuck you" to me, tried to scam me, or outright ignored me.

The North Dakota move sounds like a good idea and it has been discussed in great detail in another thread. In case you decide to move there and you are for some reason unable to start in the oil business right away, you should definitely try to get another job right away. It doesn't matter what the other job is. The reason I say this is that when you have a lapse in employment, you lose momentum, start doubting yourself, and start worrying about unimportant things. Another suggestion is that if you decide to go to North Dakota, you should have a back-up plan in another state or city in the United States, hopefully in an area which has more financial opportunites than most others. The Washington, D.C. area has really good opportunities, but I don't know if you would want to torture yourself by moving there.

Need some immediate help

It's amazing how quick people lose their mind over a little pussy. Geez.

Need some immediate help

Quote: (09-28-2012 06:01 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

$3000? I thought you were going to say you were flat broke. Having $3,000 is far from being broke/screwed. I guarantee you that $3,000 is much more than some of the guys on here have. I started my law practice with 10 $100 bills and no bank account and I have been making money ever since. When I asked for financial help from "friends" and family members to start my practice they either said "fuck you" to me, tried to scam me, or outright ignored me.

The North Dakota move sounds like a good idea and it has been discussed in great detail in another thread. In case you decide to move there and you are for some reason unable to start in the oil business right away, you should definitely try to get another job right away. It doesn't matter what the other job is. The reason I say this is that when you have a lapse in employment, you lose momentum, start doubting yourself, and start worrying about unimportant things. Another suggestion is that if you decide to go to North Dakota, you should have a back-up plan in another state or city in the United States, hopefully in an area which has more financial opportunites than most others. The Washington, D.C. area has really good opportunities, but I don't know if you would want to torture yourself by moving there.

Wouldn't moving to North Dakota be crappy pussy wise as well? Madison and Minneapolis don't seem so bad from their datasheets.

Need some immediate help

Dude, 3000 dollars makes you a rich man compared to me.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Need some immediate help

Canadian oil sands? - http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-9826.html

Feel free to PM me for wine advice or other stuff
ROK Article: 5 Reasons To Have Wine On A Date
RVF Wine Thread

Need some immediate help

Quote: (09-29-2012 06:28 AM)Tengen Wrote:  

Canadian oil sands? - http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-9826.html

I was thinking about going there, but I think it'd be easier for me to start out in North Dakota.

Quote: (09-28-2012 05:15 PM)HiFlo Wrote:  

hahahahaa, you remind me of a friend of mine.

how old are you man?

I just turned 19 a few months ago.

Quote: (09-28-2012 06:01 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Awesome story about starting a legal practice for a a thousand dollars. I wasn't sure how far 3 grand would go, but it sounds like I could have a good start as long as I'm smart with my money.

I might have to look into D.C. as a backup location. Right now I'm only a sophomore in college, so I'd have to go the unskilled laborer route. Despite this, I'm still sure that I could make decent coin in an area with a booming economy.

Need some immediate help

How the fuck can you be 19 and have $3000 dollars and your parents be suffering a financial situation...?

Cmon man, pussy story aside. You robbed an ATM.

Need some immediate help

Didn't Kansas hit oil also? I read something about the oilfields there. Its cool you want to hit up North Dakota but its cold and you have no ride. Rent is rediculous out there too. I wouldn't hit North Dakota until April, till then you are good with Minny. Alot of places are getting ready for the holidays. Walmart especially. Cashiers pay 8 bucks but you get to see the local talent all day. Late night stockers get 10 an hr.

Craigslist to rent a room from somebody. My dad wanted me to pay rent after my first deployment. I found a room for 200 a month within a week. 3K can last you 3-6 months then you have to bring in income. Have you looked into online income streams? No start up and you can make a little bit quick.

The cycle of disrespect can start with just an appetizer.

Need some immediate help

I think I'll just stay in the Midwest for winter and work on some online businesses that my friend and I were starting anyway.

I'm also going to take some of my cash and look into investing in either stocks or gold, since my friend's neighbor just got her broker's license.

For livable income during this time, I'm going to take up a job at either a coffee shop, bar, or the local lumber yard. I'm also going to do some weekend hustling for extra coin.

Also, in my area there are zero web designers, so I might look into learning some basic website design and business to business looking for companies who want websites.

I'm probably not going to be doing a shit ton of gaming right now, since getting on top of my finances is more important than new poon, but I'll still make an effort to rack up the occasional new notch.

Where I'm currently held up the cost of living is super cheap and the unemployment rate is almost non existent, so my chances of starving to death or falling into hobodom are slim to none.

Need some immediate help

I can get you connected with people in ND who can at least get you in front of people to try and get a job. Right now is a good time to go since it's getting cold and dudes are leaving in droves. PM me if you want.

Need some immediate help

Quote: (09-30-2012 05:40 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

I can get you connected with people in ND who can at least get you in front of people to try and get a job. Right now is a good time to go since it's getting cold and dudes are leaving in droves. PM me if you want.

I always have respect for the guy that is willing to help a total stranger.

If any one of you guys go broke in Canada, feel free to crash at my place. Not even kidding.

Need some immediate help

Quote: (09-30-2012 05:40 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

Awesome man thanks! You have no idea how much I'd appreciate that.

I'm definitely going to PM you about it this evening when I get back from talking with the investment broker.

Need some immediate help

Quote: (09-30-2012 05:18 PM)Cookie Wrote:  

my friend's neighbor just got her broker's license.

Don't go to a female broker.

Don't go to a broker that hasn't had their license at least 5 years.

Don't trust your friend's neighbor.

DO keep your cash as liquid as possible. You don't have a lot.

DO hop on Craigslist, find someone giving away fuzzy, cuddly kittens. Take as many of them as they will let you have. Take your prodigal ass home to the farm and apologize to mom and dad.

Aloha!