rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Another Thread about Brazil (Rio Nightlife Guide)

So after reading all the stories in this forum about S. America I´m hoping on a plane w/ a wingman in three weeks to hit South America:

My plan up to now is:

Rio - 2-3 days
Floripa - 4 days
Buenos Aires - 3 days
Cordoba - 2 days

I´ve been gathering some info spread in this forum about Rio here´s what I found:

Nightgame:

Nightlife: Been to a variety - Melt, Namaste, Lapa, Casa Da Matriz, Mariuzin. While all the guidebooks say don't go out until 12 or later, that is BULLCRAP. GO OUT AT 10. The reason I say that is anytime I have had any success, it was early in the night. Almost anywhere in this continent it has been the same. If you arrive at 1 or 2, it is almost pointless, the girls at this point are all paired up. And Brazilians are quite aggresive about stuff, I've had a dude pick a fight with me at relatively upscale Melt for stupid crap. Needless to say, my JiuJitsu skills aren't up to par so I bowed out.

NIGHTLIFE ZONES:
- If you like a complete mix, go to Lapa.

MONDAY:

TUESDAY:
Best party: Tuesday night at Melt. The top floor is a dancefloor with a live band and later a DJ. Packed with women.
Ditto feita (close to center)was the best place IMO, where there x2. Tuesdays its womens night and strippers turn on the women and then 20:30 the men get in... had some interest from gorgeous girls that then turned out to be there before a wedding

WEDNESDAY:

Casa da Matriz has reggae nights on Wednesday; great music but hipster crowd with minimal hotties.

Rio Scenarium is the current "it" spot in Lapa.

THURSDAY:
If you like college girls, try Namaste in Gavea on a Thursday
Democratica

FRIDAY AND SATURDAY:

Club Zero Zero
On fridays I usually just do the street party as there tons of people (all kinds of chicks, and not many gringos) very social and approachable.

Club with the hottest girls: Melt in Leblom. Absolutely sick on Fridays and Saturdays. Get there by 1030, or you will wait hours in line. Go in even if it is dead. It will blow up fast.

On saturdays I went to Rio Scenarium and had a blast, definitely recommended. It's a big house where you can dance samba on first floor, or just chill on other floors. Third floor has a regular club that was completely packed with girls waiting to be picked up.
when we rolled in at 10-10:30

Also six in Lapa go there early.

Bar Vasso adjacent on the street is a good place to chill beforehand. Popular with the "in" crowd.

- If you like upscale educated girls who have probably spent time in the US France or England, go to the numerous spots like Melt, Baronetti, Nuth, ect... These girls are hit or miss since they've already presumably had their fill of gringos (literally and figuratively), but I've witnessed some success by a buddy.

Saturday night is the one night when parents let their teenagers go out on the town. You will find some clubs entirely filled with 16-18 year olds. Bail if you find yourself at such a club (such as Home Bar); it will not improve.

The most elite spot now is the bar/club in the Fasano hotel on the corner of the beach and Rua Joachim Nabuco in Ipanema. Didn't try it out but all upper class Brazilians we met claim it to be the best bar.

Sunday:

Casa Rosa.

DON’T´S:

- If you like 50 dudes surrounding a group of 5 16 yearolds on the dancefloor waiting for their glory day, go to Mariuzin (i.e. dont)
- If you want to see 50 english speaking dudes a couple gringas and three brazilians who are already taken by some DB, then go to Shenanigans (I.E. Dont Go)
- Katmandu
- hide away on a sunday.

GENERAL:
Fun fact: Brazilian guys in the club are your worst enemy. Unless you are in with their circle, they will cockblock you massively from girls they know, and generally suck (i.e. stiff shoulders when you try to get around them). They know exactly what you are about and rebuff any efforts to befriend them. Resource war. This changes completely outside the club; they are chill and open.

Daygame:

Barra beach
Rio Sul mall just on the other side of the tunnel leading out of Copacabana is a good day game spot when it's not sunny.

There is not a single reason to go to Copacabana. If you are staying there you have already lost the game. Enjoy your souvenirs.

Don't cheap out on the beach. Get the chair, the umbrella, the coconut, and the cerveja. It will run you less than 10 bucks and earn you priceless, unforgettable viewing of Brazilian beauty. Meet girls buy asking them to watch your things when you hit the surf.

- I would recomend getting away from Ipanema, Copacabana, and Leblom for a day and go to Barra Da Tijuca. The beach is really nice, clear water, also warmer than the other three, with not as many people. I also saw a lot of cute girls and it was a weekday. I would say it´s a great place for day game, especially because it´s a rich neighborhood and there´s a good chance the girls speak english. If you go, take the bus. From Ipenima the 175 will take you there. From Barra, the 2113 will take you all the way back to Copa if you are there, and also passes by Ipanema and Lelom. You might be able to catch 2113 TO Barra too, not sure though.

What to drink:

Devassa (many varieties) is the best beer. Bohemia number two, Brahma number three.

Security:

- Security.
I'm staying here in Ipanema (one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Rio) and not a day went by when someone wasn't robbed at knife/gun point right outside the hostel door. Everyone here had stories. If the internet didn't exist, you'd probably think South Zone is one of the safest areas you've been to. Appearances can be deceiving however.

1) You're more vulnerable when in a group with other gringos. Especially if they're from northern european countries and have sunburn marks all over (Irish, UK, etc). Regardless, a group of gringos is much easier to spot than one gringo walking by himself.
2) Don't think you're safe when there's alot of people around you. The rest of the people won't stop to save you--no one will.
3) Be wary of anyone asking you for directions/time, etc. They could be fishing to see if you don't speak Portuguese and are a foreigner and/or buying themselves some time.
4) Be paranoid, especially at night. If there's a person waiting by a bus stop, he can be waiting for you to pass by to rob you. Change directions/streets/walk around the block if necessary.

Been robbed twice, now don't leave the apartment (in Copa) after dark (unless taking taxi to a club) unless I really need to. If I NEED to, I wear a baggy Tshirt and pull my hat down low and slightly to the side to look thug and walk with my chest out. I figure, as stated before, if I can pull off looking like a favela dude then chances are people will be less likely to F with me. So far it works.

WHERE TO STAY:
Copa - Yes, there is nothing beautiful about Copa other than the beach. It is not ghetto, but more of a working upper middle class section. The nightlife here is spotty at best. Hookers on the beach, and then on the street at night. Still, it is a pretty wild place because of the cross section of society. Its hilarious to see an old fat white whale sitting at a beachside kiosk with a stunningly hot woman though. I stay here and would recommend it because it is fairly light on the budget, and even if you do live in Ipanema (which is better), you STILL have to take a taxi to go out since walking on the street anywhere is unsafe. If you have the money to burn, stay in Ipanema or Leblon. If your a broke 24 yearold who just graduated and scrounged enough money from a job as a waiter to travel abroad (like me), stay in Copa.

I've stayed in Ipanema for about 2 weeks and checked out Leblon. I'm now living in Copa for about 2 weeks.
I actually don't mind Copa, my apartment is cheaper, the food (comida a kilo) is much cheaper, maybe supermarkets as well. It's not as nice as Ipanema/Leblon that's for sure, but it's close to my Jiu Jitsu school and has everything I need. I feel that I'd blow my budget very quickly going out in Ipanema for food few days a week. For going out, I can take a cab or a bus to Ipanema/Lapa or whatever.

Also Roosh travel guides

GENERAL:

Brazilian girls are as hard as any to get past their initial barrier, but once you are in, you are in. No games. No flaking. Total accommodation to your convenience, total hospitality, and total generosity. They will pursue you hard. Minimal game required. Just be smiley, fun, and cool. Make lunch dates, juice dates, sightseeing dates. These will lead to nights out with them and their friends, it will be a blast. I think one night stands occur but I did not have any (I locked myself in with one girl early in the trip). To meet girls, use all resources: internet, girls on the plane, girls in shops, cafes, newstands, etc. Don't just rely on the clubs, though you will meet girls there too. Contra Roosh, I got the best reactions kicking butchered Portuguese (Oi, como vai? Qual e seu nome?) until they just came out and asked if I spoke English. My friend approached with English but would get rebuffed because of the perceived arrogance of not even attempting Portuguese. Tease lightly but be gentle and friendly. Your social circle will expand quickly once the ball gets rolling.
Hit up a soccer game on Sunday at Maracanã. Did it today, had a blast. Great experience. Take the subway for sure, it´s easy and fun. Just follow everyone singing aloud with the soccer jerseys on.
The buses are a blast. Like riding on a roller coaster.

Brazilians love to wait in line. Accustom yourself.

Small bills are needed for taxi drivers and vendors. Hoard them.

POSIBLE LOCAL CONNEC TIONS:
[email protected]
Roosh
Quasi

If anyone can add something or suggest about rio or other places obrigado!

This is by far The BEST breakdown i have read On RIO, and brazilian way of gaming! And I've been to Brazil close to 30 times!

One thing you hit dead on was how Brazilian guys will go out of their way to COCKBLOCK you every which way possible, and even gang up on you with other guys to make sure you don't score with a local girl. There is only 1 other sport I've seen Brazilians so ruthless on: SOCCER!!

I learned my lesson the hard way when I visited a local club in Bahia. I opened a group set of about 7 girls, they were all mostly blonde and fairly "upper class" or at least seemed that way - all in their mid 20's. It was a local Musica Popular Brasileira club (brazilian rock).

After 10 mins, the girl is TOTALLY into me!! I mean to the point of grinding and kissing me on the dance floor. I notice a pack of Brasileiros were giving me the evil-eye look. Hey, you fuckheads stood there with your cocks in your hands, and did NOTHING!! You did not even approach! So, why are you hating on me for having the Spanish-American game BALLS (aka Cojones) to open the group, and I get rewarded for it? This is how Brazilian men are inside a local club!

Anyway, I knew this girl was very likely to go home with me, so of course after about 30 mins, she asks me for water, and I rewarded by stepping away and buying her a Caipirinha di Mora after we have been kissing and dancing for a while.

I was gone for about 5 minutes, when I turn around, and I see the "eveil-eye" clown group literally piled up around
my prize. The one guy was whispering something in her ear, and I knew I was in clear and present danger!!

I don't know what he ultimately said to her in her ear, but when I returned, the girl would NOT even take the drink she asked me for!!! She totally cold shouldered me, and I kept asking what was wrong, and she said that the "evil-eye" guys had told her, they had seen me all day long with hookers on the street/beach, and were worried that I thought she was one too. Which was TOTAL bullshit!!!!!! Those fucking douchebags lied to the girl to make her feel extremely uncomfortable to be seen with me!!

I told her I never even seen those guys, and that it was an obvious tactic to hate on me for getting your attention and sexual vibe. they were a bunch of sorry losers who could not get laid unless they themselves paid for it, or pulled a move like this!

She would not go back to being the same, and soon after her girlfriends gathered around her to "protect" her from me.

Can you believe that shit? What fucking assholes!

I learned my lesson that day, if I get a strong, sexual vibe from a girl - stay the fuck away from any Brazilians watching you game! Those cut-throat mofos will lie, cheat and use any malicious tactic to make sure you DO NOT GET LAID!

Whhyyyyyyy??????? Please a brazilian man - answer me why???? We would not do this bullshit to you, when you are on our turf!! Come to Miami or Medellin, I'll personally swoop a girl for you to give you a blow job!!! Seriously! WTF???

I felt like literally going up to this player-hating clown, and calling him on his shit, but he was with 6 other clown losers, and I was outnumbered in a foreign territory - so I went up to him, and with a very sarcastic smile, and evil-eye of my own. I just said "Obrigado", and walked away! He knew what I meant that scumbag!

I really hate this side of Brazilians, especially the young ones under 30 - not sure if the older ones behave in
this sinister manner!

If the shoe was on the other foot, I would have just befriended the now alpha-guy, bought him a beer, and ask if I can join him and swooping the other girls - teamwork fellas!!

Now, I'm pissed - gonna go swoop me a brasileira toursit at a local mall here in Orlando (there are a ton of them) and get my revenge!

This next brasileira fuck is for you - the fucking player-hating, Brazilian scumbags all over Brazil! You know who you are. Next time, be a real man, and a smart one, and win me over and let me help you get laid - I would have been more than happy to do so, it only helps me to have her GF's entertained so I can leave with my prize!

Wow - it's been 1 year since I had that all pent-up inside - feels good to finally let it go..sorry I ranted so much guys...you can see how bad this is.

What can we do to stop this?

Damn, that kind of puts me off of Brazil. I've actually heard that Colombian guys are the opposite: very friendly, often they'll introduce you to female friends, etc...

If they're her friends, it's best to befriend them. If they're just random haters, the best thing to do is pull her towards you and backturn the dudes literally putting your body in between the girl and them. Just ignore the fuck out of them if they're not her friends. The more they try to pester you and the more you just zone in on the girl, the more it'll ramp up the attraction. She'll ignore the fuck out of them too.

It shouldn't have mattered what they said, since the more you react to it, the more she'll think it's true. What they said about you really isn't any of your business, so why worry?

If any Brazilian girl or friend brings up hookers, just laugh, ignore, or give a strange look, then plow. That's all it really takes.

Quote: (02-02-2010 06:35 PM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

If they're her friends, it's best to befriend them. If they're just random haters, the best thing to do is pull her towards you and backturn the dudes literally putting your body in between the girl and them.

On a technical note, NEVER turn you back to an aggressor. Unless you are a black belt in judo and can fling a rear attacker over your shoulder like a rag doll. And even then I still wouldn't suggest it.

I agree with speak easy. I was not about to turn my back on these clowns. They may as well have broken a bottle in my head while my back is turned. I wasnot taking any chances.

NEVER, and I seriously mean NEVER let your guard down and sleep on Brazilians when it comes to banging local puntang.

I officially named the Brazilian men the biggest PLAYER-HATERS in the world. That was not my first or last time I had to deal with that shit, and now I can see it was not only me it happens to.

I hope there is one Brazilian native man on this forum noble enough to man up and tell us why they do this shit. I'd LOOOOVE to hear from you!

Colombian men on the other hand will offer you their sister if they love you!! Their loyalty to the player pack is INCREDIBLE!!!

I've had Colombian men talk me up to beautiful local women they have been hitting on for months just to win my fruendship!!!

Quote: (02-02-2010 07:11 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Quote: (02-02-2010 06:35 PM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

If they're her friends, it's best to befriend them. If they're just random haters, the best thing to do is pull her towards you and backturn the dudes literally putting your body in between the girl and them.

On a technical note, NEVER turn you back to an aggressor. Unless you are a black belt in judo and can fling a rear attacker over your shoulder like a rag doll. And even then I still wouldn't suggest it.

From what I read, it's not like these dudes were foaming at the mouth looking for a fight or even being aggressive. They were just haters and talking shit. I've done a lot worse shit than backturn someone trying to swoop in on a girl I was gaming, and I've never been in one fight at a bar or a club. I'm not even a big or intimidating guy. The thing is, you haven't given him a reason to attack you.

In my opinion, going up to him after the fact and giving a snarky comment was much riskier when it comes to potentially starting a fight.

But this is just my own experience and point of view. Yours may be different.

I didnt see any cock blocking in Manaus.. brazilians guys seemed either friendly or semi-hostile

I think cockblocking will be strongest in cities where the guys feel like gringos are a threat, like in Rio.

In Vitoria the guys were incredibly cool and always helped me out. By being the only gringo in the club it was like their status went up by being seen with me.

yeah, except I'm not a gringo per se. I'm a spaniard born in New York, which is deadlier! Lol!

This cockblocking is part of the caverman game.
Just like that.
Some guys like to "protect" their girlfriends because of the b asshole game itself, which is the one of the most of them use to pick up a girl. weird, hun?
And, when you are with ONE boy friend in a 6-7 b girls group, there are no approaches for others B man. Really. Even knowing sometimes which one he is dating or if he is not dating none of them e.g when my friend brings her brother to go out with us a group of 5. (and no, he is not gay) Seems like that single man owns all the girls... hahaha

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

Not sure I follow you Mrs. Chocolate. Remember: these jerk-offs never even approached! They just stood there like total dorks huddled over a table to themselves in a closed circle! It wasn't until they see someone with more guts than them, they start this shit!!!

I strongly feel that if I had not approached, or I would not have received the positive Kino by the girls, these clowns would never have approached these girls!!

Yo I just got back from Brazil, spent 3 1/2 weeks there with 9 nights in Rio. I liked your post and think it's spot on for the most part, but I am surprised that you got robbed twice and feel that Ipanema is so dangerous. I only felt a little unsafe once and that was my second day there when I went to the Seleron Steps by myself during the early afternoon. I was the only tourist there and there were a lot of kinda thugged out dudes staring at me, giving me dirty looks, and talking amongst themselves, I had my camera out snapping pics and was slightly paranoid. As I was leaving some people I recognized from my hostel were rolling up so I started talking to them and chilling a bit more, then a bunch of tourist showed up and it seemed really chill. Most likely I was just tripping because it was my second day and all the hype around how dangerous Rio is. That said, I walked around Copacabana and Rio at night time and never felt unsafe at all. I was always with other travelers in Copa, but I walked around trying to find restaurants/bars by myself in Ipanema and never once felt unsafe at all, in fact I felt like it was much safer than most of Oakland, CA. I don't know when you were last in Rio, but what people have told me is that it has gotten a lot safer during the past 6 months. Also, I should say I'm half Middle Eastern and can definately pass for Brazilian, also I have been to a lot of sketchy spots in the U.S. and abroad, so I got the street smarts and carry myself without fear.

Re: Safety

I've spent 4.5 months in Brazil as of today, and never been robbed. I refuse to take taxis, so I end up walking a lot and taking buses very late at night.

I do use common sense (I don't look "rich") and I take off my shirt in sketchy areas and walk like I'm a thug myself, or at least I put on the appearance that I'm ready for a fight. It helps that I'm not small or frail looking.

There's been two weak robbery attempts separate times while jogging late at night on Botafogo's beach trail. Once by some guy who grabbed me but I just kept going, and another by a pair of dudes who were ready to jump me but I just ran full speed ahead at one of them and he flinched.

When I hear robbery stories I think, "he must look like a gringo or was an easy target."

Now of course I'm going to get robbed.

Well Im danish and even though I am only darkblond and have brown eyes, there really isnt doubt that Im gringo maximo, so besides offcourse not having anything of value or valet, I think common sense and bodylanguage is key. Predators go for sick prey, its no more or less the truth in human society.
Besides that any opinion of using oakley shades and flip flop?, Im wondering if it would be ignorant to have on, given the value and "stories" she was robbed and killed for a pair of shoes.... Even though I really dont feel like have any other shades on.. [Image: smile.gif]

I haven´t been to Rio yet. I will be there from the 24th till the 26th maybe one more day, my budget will decide. The report was basically a copy paste from all the information about Rio I found in this forum.
I will hopefully do the same about Floripa, Rio Grande do Sul (Santa Cruz) and Buenos Aires I will probably skip Cordoba since it´s holidays and from what I read in this forum Cordoba is a university town.
I was thinking on going to an hostel (i was thinking Mango tree but it´s already fully booked) or apartments in Rio. Does anyone have some links ?

I have been to rio a few times and never got robbed (and i look like a gringo)

just walk confidently without fear (they can smell it) and learn how to tell people to fuck off in a good brazilian portuguese accent

Fuck off in Portuguese = Vai se fuder

I spent a week in Rio and 5 days in Sao Paulo. I found the danger element in both of them to be massively overhyped. I could definitely pass for a white Brazilian, especially when I've been in the sun for a few weeks, and for a while in Rio I was hanging around with a black English girl, so we might have looked like locals. But other times, I was walking around in a big crowd of sunburned pasty-white Irish and Americans, and didn't experience any danger at all.

If you follow the advice and your common sense you'll be fine. In my whole time in Brazil I only felt slightly threatened once. I was in a neighbourhood called Luz in Sao Paulo which is pretty working-class but is not a favela. It was a Sunday so there weren't many people around and it was just getting dark. Stupidly I let my guard down and pulled out my camera to take photos of some building and I noticed some guys at the other side of the square staring at me. I learned my lesson there and then and had no more trouble in Brazil. Same went for almost everyone I met in the hostel in Copacobana.

Quote: (02-05-2010 04:14 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

some more:

Vai po Caralho!
Vai levar no cu filho da puta!
Vai pa puta que te pariu!

I remenber there was one like:
"És arroz só serves para acompanhar."
Maybe Mrs Chocolate knows how it´s said.

I don´t know if they´re all good for portuguese brasilian.

A friend was saying me to go to Baronneti club in Rio, cause it as insane girls. Anyone been there?
Any info about Buzios, Angra and Paraty (girls, nightlife, places to stay)?

Quote: (02-05-2010 07:46 PM)Pepini Wrote:  

Quote: (02-05-2010 04:14 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

some more:

Vai po Caralho!
Vai levar no cu filho da puta!
Vai pa puta que te pariu!

I remenber there was one like:
"És arroz só serves para acompanhar."
Maybe Mrs Chocolate knows how it´s said.

I don´t know if they´re all good for portuguese brasilian.

Never heard the last one before, but all the others are usefull. I would pay atention on pronounciation, because otherwise they will laugh on you.

- Vai PRO caralho
- Vai tomar no cu, filho da puta
- Vai pra puta que te pariu!

OMG, what am I saying? I am a lady! ahhaha

@alçhemist - You could have been robbed in Luz. It is a very dangerous place at night. All SP downtown (old one) it is, but there are Crackland Blocks (and I don't need to say more, do I?).
@armanid - they do approach, but it takes long time and when they approach they use caverman game, introducing my bro game or playing nice but I wanna fuck you right away game. And they don't come if you don't show any interest (running for it) or without having at least 2 beers.

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

In Rio I definitely hear "vai PRA caralho"

Quote: (02-05-2010 01:17 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

Re: Safety

I've spent 4.5 months in Brazil as of today, and never been robbed. I refuse to take taxis, so I end up walking a lot and taking buses very late at night.

I do use common sense (I don't look "rich") and I take off my shirt in sketchy areas and walk like I'm a thug myself, or at least I put on the appearance that I'm ready for a fight. It helps that I'm not small or frail looking.

There's been two weak robbery attempts separate times while jogging late at night on Botafogo's beach trail. Once by some guy who grabbed me but I just kept going, and another by a pair of dudes who were ready to jump me but I just ran full speed ahead at one of them and he flinched.

When I hear robbery stories I think, "he must look like a gringo or was an easy target."

Now of course I'm going to get robbed.

pretty spot on. me and my buddy walked ALL over copa and impanema at night. i was wearing some fly clothes each night and never felt in danger. sometimes we would be the only 2 people on the street at night in ipanema trying to find our way around to the clubs.

i would say one thing though, if you see a large group of black kids / teenagers headed your way at night or something i would try and avoid them.

hehe thanks for adding me as local connections, but I have only been to Brazil twice and even though I love to share my views I think that I not even far stretched or in any sense or the word is either local or an expert..

With time I might be but for now Roosh and Armaid is among the guys I think is the ones you can deem experts.