rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Covers That Were Better Than the Originals

I'm very reluctant to ever give cover versions of songs more credit than originals because, generally speaking, the originals are better--and involved the additional creative energy of an original interpretation. But there are sometimes those cases--I'd say no more than five percent--where someone just knocks out a cover, and improves on the original.

One example that came to mind is below. No [Image: gay.gif], but Natalie Merchant knocks this the-fuck out. It's still hard to believe this was a live version, to boot. The vocals are straight-up epic.

(Incidentally, Natalie Merchant, circa 1994 = would bang, without hesitation, despite the short hair.)

Post other examples. This, of course, has the side-benefit of potentially pointing out to us that certain songs are, in fact, covers.

Cover: 10,000 Maniacs feat. Natalie Merchant, "Because The Night"

Original: Bruce Springsteen and Patti Smith

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPU8V-nvU...ata_player

Easy pick. This guy has some amazing songs. Perfect for time with your lady friend

Billy Roberts wrote it.

The Leaves did this 4 years before Jimi

Jimi's version is considered the best by many

WIA

I know this one will be controversial, but I think the Gipsy Kings improved on Hotel California (the Eagles):

I interviewed Natalie Merchant a couple of years ago, before a show at the Japanese American Cultural Center in Little Tokyo (LA). She didn't seem very male friendly and while not fat had definitely crashed into the wall.

Moving on, I always liked the Aztec Camera version of Jump better than Van Halen's. Especially the guitar solo at the end. Roddy Frame is supremely skilled.

I personally liked this cover of Kid Cudi's Pursuit of Happiness more than I did the original song (and I love Kid Cudi).

I don't know if this cover is better than the original but it is pretty damn good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paeNnR33i5Q

And the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GDIkb5CDUY

I like what Jeff Buckley did with Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." His version was more haunting, and I actually like it more than the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AWFf7EAc4

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

The Weeknd's cover of Dirty Diana by MJ. I'm on my phone so can't link, search it on Youtube its called D.D.

EDIT: Also the cover of Blondie's Not In Love by Crystal Castles ft. Robert Smith (from The Cure)

Aretha Franklin did a beautiful version of Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" also. I can't say it's better (I love the original), but it stands on its own.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

the 10 000 maniacs cover was a great cover that I had no idea was a cover..

nirvana doing man who sold the world is an unreal cover

Not to put down Bowies version which when he didn't weird it up was good but Cobain took it to another level.

Mary J. Blige killed this song so hard live at a concert that U2 went back and recorded it with her in the studio.

When the original artist wants to re-record their song with you, that's when you know you've covered the shit out of it.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

I think the original, unhinged, angsty queen of chick-rock (Alanis Morissette) landed a couple of respectable shots at some pretty kick-ass 80s/90s hits. I'm not convinced she beats the originals, but she gets close enough to deserve mention.

Alanis Morissette - Crazy (Original Artist: Seal)

Alanis Morissette - King Of Pain (Original Artist: The Police)

I can't believe I almost forgot Dynamite Hack's version of Boyz in the Hood (N.W.A.). Kick-ass!

Some may disagree, but I think it's better. Takes the song from imagining a girl sitting in the corner crying to imagining the time I tried to get my friend to go to detox and he attacked me with a knife.

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.

If you've never heard this before, it's pretty mindblowing. Not sure he beats the tour-de-force original, but damn.

Ain't No Sunshine - Michael Jackson (Original Artist: Bill Withers)

I've always been convinced this beats the original. Head-and-shoulders.

Jose Feliciano - Light My Fire (Original Artist: The Doors)

Sets the mood better than the original.

I didn't think it was possible to improve on this original, but homie really comes close, knocking this monster classic out. I mean, nasty. Keep in mind this is LIVE, and a shitty recording. Still, it compares to the studio version of the original.

Wait for the high notes. Sing, little man, sing!

Marc Anthony - Faithfully (Original Artist: Journey)

There's a lot of covers Psychobilly artists have made, and at times they sound better than the original

Night shift. Smooth remake with a sexier vibe. [Image: pimp.gif]

Original 1985 version by the Commodores is good too. Though it can't help but sound dated compared to this one.

Bob Marley's Waiting in Vain is a classic:

Annie Lennox's remake is also excellent...I won't say better, but she shows mad respect for the original while still having her own unique sound:

Always liked the Ataris cover of Boys of Summer
http://youtu.be/hI93w0OV6D8

Also Quietdrives cover of Time after Time aint that bad, pretty good one to make out with a girl too as well [Image: banana.gif] (which one you choose obviously depends on the girl/age)
http://youtu.be/jWy0DhVgZn0

Also, for the Deustche....good covers of 99 Luftballons (I really like the Goldfinger one, but the germans always like the second better)
http://youtu.be/Ko8SDv0CsiM
http://youtu.be/0Rt-8R-UsoU

Something I've been thinking about for a long time, I think it'd be pretty sweet if we could come up with (or share) some playlists off of spotify that we maybe use at different times with chicas (if anyone else on here uses it, I think its a pretty badass app myself.)

There's lots of originals and remakes around Bob Marley, of course. While I'm on the subject:

Great version here by CeU: