rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Easiest master's to get in Europe?

I am thinking about getting a Master's degree. I need it for a better pay scale here in the US. I am not fond of too much studying. I have been a student for too long as it is. I want to have a social life.
Ideally I would like to do it online for one year and one year in person. I need to have a job right now for financial reasons.
Basically, I am lazy and would like to score with hot girls while getting a degree. [Image: banana.gif]

Norway,Germany, Sweden- seem to be the most attractive countries,still have to support yourself financially and I don't speak the language to get a job.
Any thoughts from anyone who has done it?

yeah I'm interested in this topic too, getting a masters abroad and experiencing another culture for awhile.. I was looking into an international mba program that would have situated me in Nice, France for a year.. I'd like to hear some advice on this topic

I don't want to burst your bubble but you want to get a master's degree, learn a language, score, and have a social life at the same time, inside of two years? In a group of three countries where the cost of living is very high? If you commit yourself I'm sure it's possible but you're going to have to learn the language to go to school (and possibly learn it to get with women). The easiest master's degree is probably sociology, speaking as an engineer.

You need to spend some more time thinking about this. I did the grad school thing, though not in Europe.

If you can't speak the local language at a high level, you're going to be limited to what schools you can study at; basically, you'll be limited to those with English language Master's programs.

The majority of Master's programs will require an degree in the field or at the minimum, a related field. What's your undergrad in?

And if even you're looking at joke field like sociology, it's still going to take work to earn the degree. You're not going to have a lot of free time to learn the language, make money, and have a great social life.

Not to be too negative, it's certainly possible to do it, but I get the impression you haven't really thought this out yet.

Grad school is not a cake walk from my experience.

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.
- Garry Kasparov | ‏@Kasparov63

edit

out of these 3 choices sweden would probably be the best one:
- in germany, most master programs are still in german. plus, if you want a job, except from some parts of berlin, you will need to know some german
- sweden has a lot of master programs who are taught in english, and literally everybody over there is fluent in english, so working should be easy (provided you have a visa - as a european i have no idea how easy/hard it is to get one)
- sweden has plenty of good looking girls, and i think some student towns have a very favorable male/female ratio
- on the other hand, cost of living is ridiculous in sweden, whereas berlin is cheap as fuck
- don't know anything about norway except that it's by far the most expensive of all 3 countries

if you're really set on this, you should check out the netherlands. they have lots of masters in english and i think a more reasonable cost of living, plus i think working there without knowing the language is possible
you could also check out some eastern european/baltic countries, they might have some english programs too and nothing comes close in terms of cost

I would check out norway. We got a good system for foreigners students.

I only had to pay 500usd for my 3 year bachelor in mechanical engineering. Even better i think this is the same price for foreign students. Try get into an oil related technical study in the oil town of Stavanger, network with a lot of businesses during your time to stay here. And you might land a job during or after our study. You are also allowed to work for 20 hour / week. Which should be more than sufficient to live well(20*23USD*4 = 1840USD).

I know some of the technical studies is even possible to do online. Which gives you the possibility to stay in a cheap place like poland/ukraine if you rather prefer that.

Norway is expanding from 38-51 offshore rigs in the years to come, so there should be plenty of activity.

I talked with a recruiting agency trying to get engineers from Spain to work in norway. Wich actually was hard as well, employments among engineers in spain was only 2%.(Maybe its worse now, this infor is one year old.)

This link should be really informative.

http://www.studyinnorway.no/sn/FAQ

Only question left is; Can you handle the shitty weather?

Quote: (09-20-2012 08:47 PM)Wayout Wrote:  

I am thinking about getting a Master's degree. I need it for a better pay scale here in the US. I am not fond of too much studying. I have been a student for too long as it is. I want to have a social life.
Ideally I would like to do it online for one year and one year in person. I need to have a job right now for financial reasons.
Basically, I am lazy and would like to score with hot girls while getting a degree. [Image: banana.gif]

Norway,Germany, Sweden- seem to be the most attractive countries,still have to support yourself financially and I don't speak the language to get a job.
Any thoughts from anyone who has done it?

EASIEST? It probably depends upon what's easy for you - if you don't have skills that make learning easy, you will need to develop them first.

In Europe, there is an extension of the EU to regularize degrees along a credit-unit basis like in the US, and make academic learning and training more transferable. It is called the "Bologna Process"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_Process
and some 47 nations in the EU and outside of it have signed up since 1999.

The first step makes the university degree process more like the US (or Canadian) one - 3 or 4 years for a first degree (varying depending if it is technical or research degree), then one to two for a masters, then at least three to doctorate.

Unfortunately, this "harmonization" along American lines is affecting the UK's own higher ed approach, making traditional US busy work more important than simply showing that you've leaned what you need to know! How far along this might be, I don't know.

The US method is "course-unit." You take a certain number of courses in the right unit combinations, and VIOLA! out pops your degree. How dull!

Post-undergrad education in the UK traditionally meant original research and an appropriate demonstration of what that research means - ie, little US-style "seat time." For example, a book in he humanities or a research paper in sciences or a patent in engineering.

I did the University of London's external (ie, distance) MS in Environmental Management. (It has since been rebranded as "London International" http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/)
Assessed entirely by a series of two or three hour-long papers (ie, written exams), drawing on memory and self-study. The catch? These exams are only offered annually in the same calendar week or two. (Oh. Plus, you'll never be spoon-fed the exam questions themselves - you have to create a well though out answer by the seat of your pants. YOU WILL however know the type or general depth and length the question demands because you get to see past exam questions.)

Many people can neither read well nor write about what they've read, thought, and remembered. But if you can, then this degree program may well be right for you. And with only two or three (and rarely four) months study-prep like me.

The greatest advantage of the University of London master's is its world-wide recognition: it typically ranks behind Oxford and Cambridge Universities and ahead of most others in the UK like Durham and the "Red Brick" uni's. Within the UK itself, this issue of reputation can get more thorny, but outside the UK, it's pretty simple: high-quality, high-reputation, and less than half the cost of a US masters (if it is even offered).

And yes - at least when I did my MS - you could do some of the degree by distance as well as there at London! (I don't know about today.)

When I did my work, they had just made the distance course the same as those taught at London in London. (they have always maintained that "external" or distance exams are graded on the same level as those in the University London by "internal" or "on campus" students.)

London invented distance degree learning in 1858 to serve the overseas needs of its Empire. Many "corresponding schools" from then later became universities in their own right in their respective commonwealth nations.

Recently, what with the fracking oil and gas bonanza in the US, petroleum engineering masters degrees have become popular. London offers one. As do one (or two more) in Scotland, even cheaper!

I advised a tall Ukrainian blonde immigrant (who married and divorced an American in Boca), on her cheaper distance degree options on this masters last year. (She decided to stay with the Colorado School of Mines, (which is in her new neighborhood) anyway.

(To suss out all your options, see degreeinfo.com and search the bulletin board for masters degrees. This place is the resource that lead me to London a decade ago. This site can lead to surprising opportunities: for example, I know that the University of Lund in Sweden offered a distance masters in GIS online - TUITON FREE - and entirely in English! That tuition free option was dropped, but the degree may well be low-cost, still. I saw it first there tow years ago or so at degreeinfo and went to the Swedish web site to check it out! It was real.)

London even offers you the option of starting out proving yourself with a "foundation" course or "Diploma for Graduates" option. If you can start out with success with this unfamiliar method, you may then be invited to the full master's degree (if it's offered). I did it this way myself.

Wayout, do some research and some self-assessment and report back here with what you find!

REFERENCE London International Programmes at Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_...Programmes

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

ADDITIONAL
University of London "papers" or exam testing is at recognized and approved proctoring offices, places like universities, colleges, and community colleges throughout the US as well as in most nations throughout the world. Unless you live someplace really remote, it won't be an obstacle.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

You should go where you can get the most funding. No brainer.

I'm also looking at colleges in Europe but alot of the nordic business schools require an undergrad in business/econ.

I'm leaning towards Amsterdam or Copenhagen or Sweden. But if Germany is free, then I'll consider that above others.

How are the colleges in Copenhagen and Amsterdam?

This thread is a few years old, but I don't think a continental European degree is worth a lot if you're looking to work in America. Perhaps if you get into a really elite university.

UK schools are fine, though still at a disadvantage.

In serbia you can pay some money, and then a couple semesters later you have a degree. Surprisingly common with Serbian elites, who need advanced degrees to look more legit as high level people in business, etc.