rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bigger Arm Width

Bigger Arm Width

I usually do some dumbells, chin-ups and push-ups daily, and my arms look OK from the side, but viewed head-on or from the back, they look scrawny.

Does anyone have tips on how to make the muscles wider?

Bigger Arm Width

You need triceps work

Dips-parallel and bench

Lying and standing overhead extensions-barbell or dumbbell

Bench press-regular or close hands

Rope puilldowns-need a machine

also do hammer curls with dumbbells to build the brachialis muscle

For biceps

Various DB curls

Barbell curls

Chinups

Make sure your nutrition is in order-especially 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day minimum. Use protein powder to reach this if necessary. You won't grow muscle if you don' eat right

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Bigger Arm Width

I usually only eat twice a day and have a cup of protein powder.

Bigger Arm Width

A few things that may help you

- When you are doing pushups, do them quickly, and explode off of the floor. This will engage your triceps a bit more and cause them to get bigger.
- Do towel-grip chinups. Hang a towel over the chinup bar at your gym and grip the towel as close to the bar as possible . Then pull yourself up, alternating sides (you'll know what i mean by that as soon as you start doing them). It engages your entire arm, builds grip strength, and increases the size of your bicep.
- Finally, barbell curls. You can do hammer curls and isolated curls and all that too, but if you're short on time, you can't go wrong with barbell curls.

Bigger Arm Width

Quote: (09-01-2012 02:20 PM)soup Wrote:  

I usually only eat twice a day and have a cup of protein powder.

That's your biggest problem right there. Eat 5 small meals a day and only use protein powder as a supplement, not as a meal replacement. In addition, focus on core, compound lifts such a bench press, shoulder press, and deadlifts. You should see gains soon since your body isn't used to compound lifts/a good diet.

Bigger Arm Width

Example of the 5 small meals? I'm vegetarian.

Bigger Arm Width

Quote: (09-01-2012 01:27 PM)soup Wrote:  

I usually do some dumbells, chin-ups and push-ups daily, and my arms look OK from the side, but viewed head-on or from the back, they look scrawny.

My situation is worse, working out for months but my arms won't grow and I am not getting stronger. Perhaps my diet is crappy and I don't consume enough calories.

Bigger Arm Width

Quote: (09-01-2012 03:05 PM)AlbertoDelMuerto Wrote:  

Quote: (09-01-2012 01:27 PM)soup Wrote:  

My situation is worse, working out for months but my arms won't grow and I am not getting stronger. Perhaps my diet is crappy and I don't consume enough calories.

Lack of calories in diet and high metabolism does that.

What does your training regime include?

Bigger Arm Width

Training routine goes like this:
Rep range : 6-8 for compound, 12-15 for isolation
Chest & Tri : Incline Dumbell Press, Bench Press,Machine Press, Pushdown, Overhead extensions & Seated dips
Back&Bi : Pulldown, Underhand Pullups, Seated Rows, Dumbell Rows, Barbell Curl, Seated Hammer Curl & Preacher Curl Machine
Shoulders: Smith Machine Front Press, Arnold Press, Side Laterals, Upright Rows
Legs: Squat, Leg Press, Seated Leg Curl, Calf Press
Abs: Leg Raises, Side Twisting

I usually train 3 days a week more or less. however, I go to the gym very late around 2 am and sleep around 6 am.

Bigger Arm Width

@soup

MrXY gave you some good advice.

In addition, I know a number of experienced guys who recommend doing big full-body lifts to increase the free testosterone in your bloodstream. The idea is that engaging big muscle groups tells your body to release more hormones for growth, which can affect development even in areas that aren't directly utilized in the full-body lift.

I can attest to this with an anecdote. My best growth happened when I started doing deadlifts at age 18. My shoulders got bigger, my forearms grew, and I saw some solid gains in mass and strength all over, even though I was eating under maintenance and losing fat. Don't get me wrong, I was working like a beast on other lifts as well. I had the mindset that the weight isn't high enough unless it makes me light-headed. However, I think the fact that I was deadlifting was what pushed me over the edge. I suppose there was more hormonal support for muscle growth.

If I were you, I would find a full-body exercise that you like, and make it your bitch. Be the guy in the gym who is the guru on that lift. Meanwhile, keep doing biceps curls, rope pulldowns, close-grip bench, pull-ups or lat pulldowns, and all the other exercises that can blast your biceps and triceps.

Bigger Arm Width

Quote: (09-01-2012 03:00 PM)soup Wrote:  

If you're vegetarian, look into meals involving hummus, beans, tofu, and eggs (or egg whites if you prefer), amongst others. All are extremely high in protein content, which is what you'll need to build muscle.

Bigger Arm Width

Quote: (09-01-2012 04:16 PM)fkexpat Wrote:  

If you're vegetarian, look into meals involving hummus, beans, tofu, and eggs (or egg whites if you prefer), amongst others. All are extremely high in protein content, which is what you'll need to build muscle.

I eat 4 egg whites a day, ground up peanuts, been avoiding tofu lately because I heard that it had too much estrogen..

Scoop of protein powder.

Can recommend portion sizes? Why five meals instead of two or three?

Bigger Arm Width

Quote: (09-01-2012 04:23 PM)soup Wrote:  

I eat 4 egg whites a day, ground up peanuts, been avoiding tofu lately because I heard that it had too much estrogen..

Scoop of protein powder.

Take a look at t-nation.com and bodybuilding .com-they have lots of good info on nutrition. There are veggie guys who lift and are jacked, even veggie bodybuilders, so you can build muscle as a veggie, but you have to gt your nutrition dialed in. Even if you lift well, if you don't eat right you won't build any significant muscle. You're going to have to eat more meals more calories, and more protein. It will take a bit of research and work at first but once you get your nutrition set up it becomes a habit and much easier

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Bigger Arm Width

Scoop of protein powder.

I'd say eat at least 5 egg whites with a piece of whole wheat toast or oats for breakfast. For lunch, have a whole wheat hummus wrap. For a snack in mid afternoon, eat a ton of almonds or peanuts. For dinner, eat some sort of meal involving beans and tofu. Tofu is good for you. Before you go to bed, have a protein shake. Five meals helps your body gain muscle and weight, while also staying lean.

Bigger Arm Width

You arms are mostly triceps put in most of the work there.

Do you eat diary products?

Cottege Cheese is a great source of protien

Eat the whole eggs.

The madness of people throwing out the goodness and nutrients of the yolk. It is all healthy fats in there. The whites are nearly useless. You body needs protein but nutrients go along way also.

Quote: (09-01-2012 04:41 PM)fkexpat Wrote:  

Scoop of protein powder.

I'd say eat at least 5 egg whites with a piece of whole wheat toast or oats for breakfast. For lunch, have a whole wheat hummus wrap. For a snack in mid afternoon, eat a ton of almonds or peanuts. For dinner, eat some sort of meal involving beans and tofu. Tofu is good for you. Before you go to bed, have a protein shake. Five meals helps your body gain muscle and weight, while also staying lean.

Soy starts to raises estrogen levels in men when you consume 35+ grams. Tofu is dense and puts you up there quickly. I'll only eat Tofu once a month now. Soy is not good for men to consume in large amounts.

Bigger Arm Width

Try doing ultra high reps. There are these things called poundstone curls where you curl an empty bar x 100 or as many times as you can. I usually do them after supersetting cable curls/tricep pushdowns at the very end of my workout. I've noticed a huge difference since starting them

Bigger Arm Width

work the muscle, feed the muscle, let the muscle rest...watch it grow.

you don't need tricks you just need to bust your ass and work efficiently. Why repeat the same exercises everyday? by dumbells I assume you mean some sort of curls, then you're doing chins, now are you talking close grip, palm facing or pull ups with a wide grip, some other variation...sounds like you're working bis directly everyday but i have no idea to what degree...bis don't need to be worked everyday, they're one of my better bodyparts I don't work them directly at all, bis are small a good workout a week is plenty if you're busting back hard during the week as well, I bust back really hard so much so that I don't think my bis need the extra workout but I play around with that, sometimes I do work them into my routine for a few months and then I'll drop it again, it's all seeing what works for you. You need some sort of routine, then you need to figure out your goal, if it's adding more size then you need to formulate the diet plan that puts you on the path towards that goal...as another poster mentioned you'll need to work tris, they're 2/3rds of your arm if they're lagging all the bi work in the world is going to give you a weak ass looking arm. Thus the routine, you need set yourself up so you're working the entire body. Then you need to keep progressing, adding weight, adding reps sets...Size will come when everything is in place and realize spot increasing is like spot decreasing, you might be able to bring up a muscle a bit but if you want your arms bigger everything usually gets bigger, you don't start at 150 pound with 13 inch guns then stay at 150 and jack them up to 19 inch arms with switching some exercises around, if you want your gut smaller the weight comes off everywhere and your gut will get smaller along with it, same idea.

the 5 meals a day thing isn't necessary either, broscience...there's a million plans out there and I've seen people successful eating 10 times a day and twice a day, body is a machine it wants fuel (nutrient macros) it doesn't know that 1500 cals came in 5 meals vs 2....at the end of the day if you're eating 1500 cals you're a skinny undersize fk no matter how many meals you spread it over.

Bigger Arm Width

No need to be condescending. I was just giving him advice as to what worked for me, as well as what is generally accepted amongst countless other people who are into fitness. That was uncalled for.

Quote: (09-01-2012 08:03 PM)mikeymike Wrote:  

the 5 meals a day thing isn't necessary either, broscience...there's a million plans out there and I've seen people successful eating 10 times a day and twice a day, body is a machine it wants fuel (nutrient macros) it doesn't know that 1500 cals came in 5 meals vs 2....at the end of the day if you're eating 1500 cals you're a skinny undersize fk no matter how many meals you spread it over.

Bigger Arm Width

Quote: (09-01-2012 08:32 PM)fkexpat Wrote:  

No need to be condescending. I was just giving him advice as to what worked for me, as well as what is generally accepted amongst countless other people who are into fitness. That was uncalled for.

Quote: (09-01-2012 08:03 PM)mikeymike Wrote:  

a little hypersensitive? I said right after that I've seen it work, eating multiple times a day and seen others thrive on programs where they eat far less often, there's many ways to skin a cat... when guys get caught up into the theres only one way of doing things is when they fail or stop progressing. It's all about trial and error and seeing what works for you. As I said 1500 cals in 5 meals or 2, doesn't matter it's not enough cals to put on size so it doesn't matter how your break it up it's not what'd be causing someone to not grow in that particular case. so suggesting eat more often doesn't make sense unless its getting his whole caloric intake up. I'm not saying your way isn't A way, just not the only way...lots of factors go into building your body. Generally accepted also doesn't mean most efficient...far too often and Im not saying you're doing this but stuff gets parroted on bb'ing boards and gets taken as gospel, these things change all the time, when I got started the idea of intermittant fasting would've gotten laughed at, now it's giving some people fantastic results and common place, back in the day arnold would train bodyparts multiple times a week to incredible volume and now everyones so afraid of overtraining on the boards you'll hear don't even think of working x muscle more than once a week and it's how it should be done, there will be a level where you are overtraining but most of us won't come close...play around with stuff, think outside the box, experiment. there are loads of experts who all have things to say that we could incorporate that may be with or against what's being said on the boards, never know what'll work for you till you get out of the rut of thinking its x number of meals a day and thats it, or x number of shakes a day are needed etc...that's all I'm saying not attacking your advice just adding to it, we're all tryin to help here.

Bigger Arm Width

This is like asking how to make a girl cum when you're still a virgin.

Stronglifts.com is your answer to bigger arms....and everything else.

Bigger Arm Width

yes its complete broscience on the amount of meals a day.it all comes down to the macros at the end of the day.

back to the original question: its just overall size,just keep pounding out the reps and weight,try diff excercises and they will get bigger.

its also bs that you can increase the width of the bicep,its just fills out from growing "outward".

ever heard of the cats saying "dude my inner chest wont grow".

Theres no such thing as inner chest muscle.its only upper and lower.your inner chest will naturally "fill out" from from growing the actual pecs over time + having a low enough bodyfat to see the line between the pecs.

Bigger Arm Width

Quote: (09-02-2012 06:18 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

This is like asking how to make a girl cum when you're still a virgin.

Stronglifts.com is your answer to bigger arms....and everything else.

Very good advice.

Soup, nothing you are doing is progressing you towards your goal. You cannot get bigger arms without the basics:

Lift heavy in the big lifts. 3-4 times a week.
Eat large portions.
Carry on until your chest measures twelve inches or more to your waist.
At this point you will have arms that are 'big' and will get you glances while fully clothed.

Until then there is no reason to worry about complicated rep/set programs or isolation movements.

Bigger Arm Width

He's eating such a small amount every day, which means that it'll be difficult for him to jump to giant meals, as his stomach can't handle it, macros or no macros. He's better off, at least initially, getting his calories spread over 3-5 meals. Eat big and do compound lifts. Don't focus directly on bicep work or tricep work for the first few months.