rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

GSP: "I dont believe in strength and conditioning"

http://devlowkick.blitzcorner.com/UFC/GS...ooks-11160

Quote:Quote:

GSP: "I remember I had a Muay Thai instructor from France, that I even brought on the reality show The Ultimate Fighter. The guy smoked, I don't know how many packs of cigarettes a day. He's always drinking alcohol. He's a real character, and he's completely out of shape, but when he spars with us in Muay Thai, he kicks everyone's ass. The reason is because he is more efficient than we are."

G Manifesto is gonna like this.

(P.S. Jay when you drop links can you give an intro or some context. Thanks.)

I believe that is an old interview that was posted by a user on his personal blog on that site. GSP has stepped his S&C game up big time with Jonathan Chaimberg. Not sure if he is still with him, but he's for sure doing Olympic and compound lifts.

I dunno, maybe GSP is having some problems with his English again. Or, he's just full of shit lol. Either way, lifting will definitely make you stronger and more explosive, if you lift correctly. Skill training is still more important though.

Many years ago, I trained under several great masters of Japanese Shotokan Karate, including Master Nakayama and Master Nishiyama. At that time they were obsessed with the idea of efficiency and were determined to find the sequence of movements that would create the perfect punch. Master Nakayama actually did studies using time lapse photography and sensors recording force and velocity. He believed in applying the scientific method to fighting. I remember at the time that it was believed that weight lifting could harm your speed because it can develop antagonistic muscles and the best way to develop speed to is repeatedly do the actual actions. They also believed in the concept of “One strike one kill”. The perfect Shotokan match was one strike and it is over. Anything else is less efficient.

Rico... Sauve....

Quote: (08-23-2012 10:29 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

GSP: "I remember I had a Muay Thai instructor from France, that I even brought on the reality show The Ultimate Fighter. The guy smoked, I don't know how many packs of cigarettes a day. He's always drinking alcohol. He's a real character, and he's completely out of shape, but when he spars with us in Muay Thai, he kicks everyone's ass. The reason is because he is more efficient than we are."

Dude definitely enters the dragon on the daily.

Quote: (08-23-2012 03:22 PM)Sherman Wrote:  

They also believed in the concept of “One strike one kill”. The perfect Shotokan match was one strike and it is over. Anything else is less efficient.

Interesting. This is almost like beating someone in 4 moves in chess.

I look at someone like Jon Jones and he seems pretty efficient and with a good body for his weight class. Perhaps guys that are naturally big for their weight class, as opposed to having to bulk-up, are in a better situation.

The antagonistic muscle theory is also interesting. No doubt muscle can sometimes get in the way so a person must train smart. I never understood why people train to look like a bodybuilder if they are not competing in bodybuilding.

I do agree with GSP 100% on this.

I actually had a couple of run-in's with GSP in Montreal this summer.

Breaking those stories down soon.

I was watching a recent documentary on GSP's training and i can fairly say he has changed his views on that statement. He train's like an olyimpic athlete.

Quote: (08-23-2012 03:22 PM)Sherman Wrote:  

Many years ago, I trained under several great masters of Japanese Shotokan Karate, including Master Nakayama and Master Nishiyama. At that time they were obsessed with the idea of efficiency and were determined to find the sequence of movements that would create the perfect punch. Master Nakayama actually did studies using time lapse photography and sensors recording force and velocity. He believed in applying the scientific method to fighting. I remember at the time that it was believed that weight lifting could harm your speed because it can develop antagonistic muscles and the best way to develop speed to is repeatedly do the actual actions. They also believed in the concept of “One strike one kill”. The perfect Shotokan match was one strike and it is over. Anything else is less efficient.

and you don't still believe this has any truth to it right?

i mean, this whole debate was ended back in 1993 and continues to be trampled.

the death blow does not exist.

Quote: (11-02-2012 03:02 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I do agree with GSP 100% on this.

I actually had a couple of run-in's with GSP in Montreal this summer.

Breaking those stories down soon.

he of course believes in efficiency, it is one of the keys to conditioning for fights. but he most definitely lifts heavy weights.

well, his snatch number seemed a little low but it is heavy for most folks.

size and bulk have long worked against combat athletes. most guys are trying to get down as small as they can while retaining as much strength as they can.

thus the explosive lifts and not 5 sets of 18 bicep curls

"size and bulk have long worked against combat athletes"

Try telling that to alistair overeem.

He focuses on core strength I believe.

Boxer's don't tend to grow huge chests because it can come in the way, they concentrate more on their lats.

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

After the natural born killer gets done with him he will reconsider

According to a commenter on another site, this is the cigarette-smoking Frenchmen he was talking about in the interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDTuFKqhafM

Bad-ass.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (11-02-2012 03:53 PM)Rick91 Wrote:  

"size and bulk have long worked against combat athletes"

Try telling that to alistair overeem.

true he is an outlier but he is also a convicted PED user.

it is commonly accepted that bulk works against conditioning and conditioning is one of the most important aspects of combat sports.

ask mark coleman what that head kick from pete williams felt like.

i think all the combat athletes aside from the heavy's would argue that increasing their strength to weight ratio is more important than simply adding size.

I didn't know Fedor was French