rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Acapulco, Mexico Data Sheet

It seems as though many of the places in which I have lived or spent a significant amount of time are the exact places which are either underrepresented or completely ignored by this forum. I guess that's what I am here for.

Acapulco is one of the places with which I am most familiar. I have travelled there countless times over the years and it was the first international city I ever set foot in. In recent years, it has gained a reputation as being extremely dangerous and being a drug-infested city. I can say from experience that those negative factors have always been there, they just may have increased in recent years. As with any other "dangerous" city, be smart and the chances that you will have any problem as a tourist are minimal.

Getting there:

Continental offers direct flights from Houston and American Airlines offers direct flights from Dallas/Fort Worth. For at least the last ten times I have visited Acapulco, I have taken one of those two flights. It is always easy to find a flight from your home city like Newark of D.C. to either Houston or Dallas. I used to take a flight on Mexicana airlines from Philadelphia which had a connecting flight in Mexico City. I later started taking an Aeromexico flight out of J.F.K. airport which also had a connection in Mexico City. I doubt the Philadelphia flight still exists. Even if the J.F.K. flight still exists, I don't recommend it. Those flights require you to go through immigration in Mexico City which in my experience is never easy. You have the additional problem of being able to make a connecting flight after going through customs. If you take one of the Texas connecting flights, you will at least be at your destination when you go through immigration. During my last trip, there was no wait when I got to Acapulco and I have almost always had to wait in a line in Mexico City. The Acapulco airport is straight of the 1950's. Watch the movie Pure Luck and you will know what I am talking about.

Hotels:

I rented a house during my last two stays there. It was expensive, but it was two blocks from the beach, had a pool, and was either within walking distance or a short taxi ride from all of the nightlife. I am actually considering buying the place, but there are some complicated and unfavorable Mexican real estate laws with regard to foreigners. Renting a house can be a DHV. Girls would much prefer going to a house than going to an all inclusive resort where they would get the CIA treatment at the door. If you can afford it, which I know many people can't, rent a house. The Crown Plaza is an all inclusive resort right on the beach which is inexpensive by Acapulco standards. It was called the Acapulco Plaza since at least the 80's. This is a fairly nice hotel. I have never stayed there and would probably never stay there. They make you wear one of those all-inclusive bracelets when you are there. Try approaching Mexico City fresas with one of those bracelets. Your chances would be slim and none. If you are on a budget and choose to stay at the Crown Plaza, I would just remove the bracelet when I was off the premises. As long as you show some identification to the guard, you shouldn't have too many problems. I did that once the one and only time I stayed at an all-inclusive, which was in Jaco, Costa Rica and it worked out fine. A benefit to the Crown Plaza is that the beach is closed off to guests of the hotel. Back in the 80's, vendors used to constantly bother beachgoers in order to get them to buy hammacks, t-shirts, jewelry, and other things. The city eventually built stands near Papagayo Park where the vendors could sell their stuff and they stopped selling it on the beach. For some unknown reason, they resumed selling the stuff and bothering people on the beach. You can avoid this problem by staying at the Crown Plaza. If you sit at any random part of the beach or eat at any of the restaurants which are right on the beach, you will be constantly harassed and may have an unpleasant experience. El Presidente is another hotel which is starting to show its age. It is not all-inclusive. If you watch the movie Fun in Acapulco with Elvis I believe you can see the El Presidente in the background. That's how old it is. The Hyatt is another option, but is somewhat pricey an is not all-inclusive. Farther out of town is the Princess and a series of other hotels located near a zone known as Las Brisas. Those hotels are generally expensive and are too far out of town for my liking. You may be able to avoid some of the annoyance from the vendors on the beach at those hotels. Don't stay at a budget hotel like the Park or the Monaco.

Taxis:

Taxis are all over the place. A high percentage of the cars in Acapulco are taxis. The taxis do not have meters. Always negotiate the price before getting into a taxi. If you do not do that, prepared to be screwed all over the place. Taxi fares are less expensive in many other cities and are actually very reasonable if you negotiate the price beforehand. Don't take buses.

Weather:

It does rain heavily in August and in other summer months. During the winter, the weather is without a doubt the best of any city or country which I have visited. If someone is aware of a place which has better weather, I am dying to hear about it.

Food:

Acapulco is not known for its culinary exellence. Carlos 'N Charlies on the Costera is very touristy, but has a great view and shouldn't be missed. The original owner of that place used to spend a decent amount of time in the Jersey Shore every summer at least in part to get ideas. Not too long ago, the name changed to Acapulco Charlie's and it took on more of a sports bar persona, but it is the same place. If you like flour tortillas, the charolitas de res are steak tacos with flour tortillas and are the best tacos I have ever had. They are listed as an appetizer, but two orders of the charolitas are more than enough for a full meal. If the guy at the entrance asks you your name before you enter, tell him your name is "Boludo Martinez." One time I went there with two friends and my friend jokingly told the guy at the door that my name was "Boludo Martinez." The guy somewhat suprisingly did not understand the joke and on a subsequent visit to the restaurant, he asked me if "Boludo" begins with a "b" or a "v." People's memories are very good in Acapulco in my experience and he will probably trace that name back to me. A newer Carlos 'N Charlies opened fairly recently in a new shopping center located far outside town. Iftmakes no sense to me to go out there to eat and/or have a few drinks. Any information regarding the new Carlos 'N Charlies would be greatly appreciated. Mariscos Pipo is the best seafood restaurant I have found there. I have been going there my whole life. Try the camarones a la plancha (grilled shrimp). El Amigo Miguel, which is right on the beach has very similar food to Mariscos Pipo, but I prefer Pipo. American chains and fast food restaurants are all over the place. There is also a very popular taco place right on Condesa Beach close to Disco Beach. It has some generic name like Tacos and Beer. Higher end restaurants can be found further outside of town.

Nightlife:

Acapulco has often been called the disco capital of the world and has sometimes been called the strip club capital of the world. The discos are still going strong. The strip clubs are shadows of their old selves. Palladium is a must for anyone visiting Acapulco. Everyone should go to that place at least one time in their lives. It is very upscale, has amazing views of Acapulco Bay, and is surprising cheap. I consider Acapulco an expensive city, but Palladium is almost dirt cheap. For somewhere between $25.00 and $35.00 you can drink from an open bar all night. Ladies pay slightly less. MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE BARTENDERS AT PALLADIUM. If you ever do anything in your life, MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE BARTENDERS AT PALLADIUM. You will never wait for a drink, no matter how many wealthy looking Mexico City people are in front of you. That can also be a DHV. Also, no matter how good your Spanish is and no matter how good you look, be prepared to be rejected left and right in Palladium and in other Acapulco discos for that matter. There is a very strong Mexico City social circle thing going on. Because of the supposed danger factor in Acapulco, very few foreigners will be in the place. They used to be really good targets. If they are there, it will probably be in December, January, and February. Don't miss this place. Even if you come up empty, you want to check it out. Nights vary greatly as far as Acapulco discos go. Ask a nighttime taxi driver where to go on which nights. Daytime guys tend to be less knowedgable. Baby 'O attracts a very exclusive clientel and its best night is Saturday. This place has been around forever and is starting to show its age. There is no open bar and you need to bring a fat wallet. They sometimes have special events such as toga parties. Mandara and Ajibrije ( I think that's the name of the place) are other discos which have open bars. Just find out what the best spots are on each night. It has varied so much, I am really not sure. You may want to at least stop by Baby Lobster, Paradise, and even Disco Beach for a drink or two before heading out to the discos. I don't recommend spending your entire night at any of those places. Dress up if you are going to the discos. Latin clubs are Nina's and Azucar. Nina's has an open bar, but attracts a fat and/or ugly crowd and is not recommended. Azucar (I think that is the name) is relatively new and is located right on Playa Condesa. It does not have an open bar and is worth at least checking out. The three main strip clubs are Tabares, Foxy's, and Las Chicas. Years ago, you would walk into one of the places, especially Foxy's, and see some of the most beautiful women in the world. The obesity epidemic and some other factors which are beyond by comprehension have sadly led to their decline. You should still check them out, especially Tabares. These places are different than strip clubs in other cities and countries in that the girls will almost always give me their numbers, often unsolicitately. Tabares now has many Argentines and girls from other countries. The Argentines tend to go back during the slow months, such as August, September, and October. The guy who works the door at Tabares gave me his cell number and told me to periodically call him to find out whether the Argentines would be there at a particular time. I never called him and have since lost his number, but I could always call the main number of Tabares and ask to speak to him. Don't spend your entire night in the strip clubs. Stop by either early or late in the night, numberclose and get out of there. You will end up spending an inordinate amount of money on drinks and possibly be asked and/or pressured to pay for lap dances. We know what the effect of paying for lap dances is.

Surfing:

Playa Condesa is not suitable for surfing. The best comparison I can make to it is Long Beach, California. Yes, it is a beach and there are waves, but they are not waves that you can surf. I have heard that the "Princess" and "Copacabana" beaches are suitable for surfing. Any information on those beaches would be appreciated.

Shopping:

There are a few modern malls on or near the Costera. You can find quality leather goods, jewelry, or basically anything else at a huge flea market downtown. Simply say the words "flea market" with the accent on the word market and you should be directed to the right place. If that doesn't work, use the word "pulga." I haven't been to the market in years and I have heard that it is not the safest place. Just use common sense and you should be fine.

What are the girls like there?

Quote: (08-07-2012 12:46 AM)20Nation Wrote:  

That isn't an easy question to answer, because Acapulco is a tourist city. It is similar to asking How are the girls at the Jersey Shore? or How are the girls on the Greek Islands? I will, however, do my best to answer. The local Acapulco women are generally not that attractive. They used to be much better in my opinion. You will se some attractive local women at the discos which I mentioned, but they are a scant minority there. Mexico City dominates those places. Most of the attractive women you will see or meet will be middle class, upper middle class, or upper class chilangas from Mexico City. Volume is always good around Christmas. Volume is great around Christmas. If you like Mexico City girls as many guys do, you should like what you see in Acapulco around Christmas. If you are looking for Medellin-level or even Cali-level talent, you will probably be disappointed. I hope this helps.

Quote: (08-07-2012 01:42 AM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Quote: (08-07-2012 12:46 AM)20Nation Wrote:  

That isn't an easy question to answer, because Acapulco is a tourist city. It is similar to asking How are the girls at the Jersey Shore? or How are the girls on the Greek Islands? I will, however, do my best to answer. The local Acapulco women are generally not that attractive. They used to be much better in my opinion. You will se some attractive local women at the discos which I mentioned, but they are a scant minority there. Mexico City dominates those places. Most of the attractive women you will see or meet will be middle class, upper middle class, or upper class chilangas from Mexico City. Volume is always good around Christmas. Volume is great around Christmas. If you like Mexico City girls as many guys do, you should like what you see in Acapulco around Christmas. If you are looking for Medellin-level or even Cali-level talent, you will probably be disappointed. I hope this helps.

Ah thanks. Good data sheet, that seemed to be all you were missing. Im curious how obesity is there?

[/quote]

Ah thanks. Good data sheet, that seemed to be all you were missing. Im curious how obesity is there?
[/quote]
Overall, the United States is the fattest country on the planet. Unfortunately, Mexico isn't far behind. Acapulco
locals and Mexico City tourists are thinner than average American women, but there is a bit of an obesity problem. It is worse, much worse than in Medellin and Cali. Curiously, Honduran women are the thinnest Hispanic women I have seen. Don't ask me why.
American

Quote:Quote:

Curiously, Honduran women are the thinnest Hispanic women I have seen. Don't ask me why.

Junk food is too expensive for most people's budget in Honduras and they walk a lot more and don't overeat.

I've been to Acapulco many times, mainly for work though but have some experience...not that much but a little. Always stayed in a private home in the hills and had a driver. There are a lot of very attractive mexican celebrities/wealthy that live up in the hills. They usually have private dinners and parties up there, go jet skiing and MAYBE hit the town...but not that often. If possible, maybe try to stay up in Las Brisas or something.

I've eaten at the Carlos and Charlies at the La Isla sHopping Center (the new one) and wasn't really impressed. Its kind of like an applebees that has a mexican theme and the food reflects that. The mall is almost always dead since its so high end, but it is a safe choice versus going into the city at night where its chaotic. Its a pretty clean mall, just nothing really interesting or people around there.

...there are some GREAT taco stands in Acapulco, one that I really liked was Tacos Tumbras...there are two locations I believe, on both bases of going up the hill to/from the airport. Excellent, almost Mexico City quality street tacos. Get some of the Al Pastor that they slice off the little spinning devices. Acapulco is famous for their seafood, the vegetables are really fresh around that region and they are also famous for their seafood cocktail...kind of like a cerviche but with tomato and eaten with crackers.

as far as nightlife, i found the discos start really late...like when I went to Baby'Os it was completely empty until like 2am and then all of a sudden a large group of people (from what I presume was from Mexico City) strolled in and started taking over the entire club. Baby-O's was really expensive too. $50 cover + $14 drinks....maybe they hustled us though. everyone had their own table over a dance floor, kind of reminded me of that scene in scarface at the disco there.

I've been to Palladium, Disco Beach and Mandara as well. I was there when MTV had their "spring break" there about 4-5 years ago and it really wasn't that great even then. Overall I liked Privado/Mandara the best..the view was great and they had a cool fire show, wasn't too crowded and the crowd there was my vibe. Spent a pretty penny there though, it wasn't cheap (we had a table reservation though).

PartyonBro:

Good report. You know what's up. That is exactly what I expected Carlos 'N Charlie's in La Isla to be. Most people I talk to actually prefer Mandara over Palladium. I much prefer Palladium. My experience is similiar in that I often see those discos go from completely dead to outright insane around 1:30 to 2:00 A.M. I checked the price on Palladium and it is 35.00 for guys and 27.00 for girls, so I wasn't far off. El Zorrito is also a good taco place and is either open 24 hours a day or close to it. Julio Iglesias eats there when he is in town.

I am going to a conference in Acapulco in February. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap hotel? The conference is at the Hotel Princess Mundo Imperial. It is on the water.

What is nearby? Are there any hostels?

I am at the Princess Hotel. Are there any good gyms around?

Well, I just got back from Acapulco. Here are my impressions of the whole trip.

The Palladium is a great club. The view of the bay is amazing. Drinks are quite reasonable. There is a long walk up a hill to get to it--we had come on a bus which had dropped us off at the bottom of the hill. It was a classy place, but it didn't feel expensive.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that all the bartenders and servers in Mexican (or at least Acapulco) bars are men. I am not sure why this is, but it's nice to see that Mexico still considers some sexual discrimination reasonable and sensible.

I was at a conference at the Princess Hotel. I didn't make it off site much, as there was so much to do at the conference. The hotel has a few bars which you can get into even if you aren't at the hotel. There is a downstairs bar which has dancing.

There is a vegetarian place called Verde Vegan, which isn't far from the hotel and near the beach. They sell some good smoothies and other interesting food.

There are a lot of little Mexican restaurants on the Calle Simon Bolivar. These are outside the area where the Princess Hotel is.

Taxicabs are white. The colectivos are white with some yellow stripes on the side. You can see photo here:

http://www.travel-acapulco.com/travel-ti...buses.html

The colectivos are shared cabs which cost a lot less than the single taxis.

The airport is pretty easy to get in and out of. It only has seven gates. Aeromar, AeroMexico, TAR Aerolineas, Viva Aerobus, and Volaris fly domestically.

Airtransat, Sunwing, and United provide service internationally.

Quote: (02-21-2018 10:48 PM)puckerman Wrote:  

Well, I just got back from Acapulco. Here are my impressions of the whole trip.

The Palladium is a great club. The view of the bay is amazing. Drinks are quite reasonable. There is a long walk up a hill to get to it--we had come on a bus which had dropped us off at the bottom of the hill. It was a classy place, but it didn't feel expensive.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that all the bartenders and servers in Mexican (or at least Acapulco) bars are men. I am not sure why this is, but it's nice to see that Mexico still considers some sexual discrimination reasonable and sensible.

I was at a conference at the Princess Hotel. I didn't make it off site much, as there was so much to do at the conference. The hotel has a few bars which you can get into even if you aren't at the hotel. There is a downstairs bar which has dancing.

There is a vegetarian place called Verde Vegan, which isn't far from the hotel and near the beach. They sell some good smoothies and other interesting food.

There are a lot of little Mexican restaurants on the Calle Simon Bolivar. These are outside the area where the Princess Hotel is.

Taxicabs are white. The colectivos are white with some yellow stripes on the side. You can see photo here:

http://www.travel-acapulco.com/travel-ti...buses.html

The colectivos are shared cabs which cost a lot less than the single taxis.

The airport is pretty easy to get in and out of. It only has seven gates. Aeromar, AeroMexico, TAR Aerolineas, Viva Aerobus, and Volaris fly domestically.

Airtransat, Sunwing, and United provide service internationally.

Sounds like you stayed on the resort for the most part, but were you able to assess the safety of Acapulco right now? I believe Acapulco has the second highest murder rate in the world currently.

I thought of a few other things to add about my trip. I flew from San Antonio to Mexico City and then to Acapulco.

If you can get to ACA without going through MEX, do that. MEX is easily the worst airport I've been to, and you should give yourself three hours to change planes. My trip back actually involved getting on a bus, going out onto the streets of Mexico City, and then going back into the other terminal. The airport is very poorly signed, and I often ended up asking for help. They are building a new one fortunately.

The SAT-MEX flight was mostly Spanish speakers, while the MEX-ACA flight was mostly English speakers. I suspect most of the Mexicans who visit ACA just drive there. The flyers come in from other countries or more distant locations. The MEX-ACA is only about 75 minutes. Be prepared for ear popping on this flight--you will go up and then down and also about 6,000 feet in the process.

The airplane views are pretty spectacular. In fact, we ended up turning over the water on the way back. This is always an interesting experience.

Some attendees actually rented a car at MEX and drove to Acapulco. They seemed fairly happy with that. The Princess Hotel was huge, yet it provided little parking. I suspect they want people to use the cabs and generally gear to a more foreign crowd.

I heard some people at the hotel speaking French. English was pretty much everywhere.

Telcel is the roaming carrier for Verizon. If you plan on spending about a week in Mexico, your best bet is to switch your phone plane to one that simply includes Mexico and Canada. Service was probably 7 or 8 on a scale of 10, but I sometimes didn't get a call on the spot. Texting worked fine though. Missed calls would also show as soon as I had missed them. To check voice mail, I had to dial my number.

Driving around ACA looked interesting. The intersection outside the Princess appeared to be unregulated. We also went up a mountain-type road and then back down when we went to the Palladium. The protection on the cliffside was a curb that appeared to be about six or eight inches high.

Quite a few people at the conference found places on AirBNB.

I didn't have any problem with crime. Nobody else did either. I suppose if you want to find it, you will find it.