rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

travel tips

travel tips

Well……When you are in traveling in anywhere then first thing you should remember that your first aid kit with you. Band-Aids, soap or alcohol preps, thermometer in a hard case, non-aspirin pain reliever, medication for colds and diarrheaand antibiotic cream these things are necessary if you are traveling.

travel tips

Don't forget Pepto tablets. Those things can be life savers, probably the most useful thing I had in my bag after my laptop.

travel tips

-Don’t fight back. If some guys want to mug you, let them. Its far more likely that you will lose the fight and get seriously hurt because they probably have weapons. It’s not a good idea to carry pepper spray, a taser, knife, etc. because there is a great chance that you do not know how to use the weapons effectively. On the other hand, if a mugger unexpectedly comes up from behind and starts choking you, then its probably a good idea to try you best and get away (this happened to me). The only other option is to run away, and even that’s not always a great idea.

-Run, don’t walk. If you somehow need to walk a few blocks at night in a dangerous place, run instead of walk. Or if something seems suspicious (a few guys following you), run into the nearest store/hotel.

-Credit cards. Bring a bunch of credit cards on your trip (3-5) and keep one in your wallet with the rest hidden throughout your belongings. Also hide some cash in different parts of your belongings too. I met way too many people sponging off their traveling companion because the one credit card they brought on their trip was lost or stolen.

-Lost. If you need to pull out a map or feel lost, find a quiet place such as the inside of a store or right outside against the opposite side of the wall to regroup and figure out where you want to go.

-Alone at night. If you find yourself at a shady intersection at night, watch your back as someone can easily come up from behind to attack or mug you. Be careful of intentional distractions like hookers for instance.

-Look Confident. In shadier areas, it helps to look confident by walking somewhat fast and not looking over your shoulder every second.

-The Fake Call. In some cities like the taxi drivers are notorious for ripping off or setting up attacks on their passengers. To prevent anything from happening, you should call or pretend to call a friend and say something like ¨I just got into a taxi am going to 100 west drive. The taxi number is 13jh3 and the driver’s name is Juan Carlos¨. This information is always available in the taxi and will make the driver less likely to harm you.

-Thumbs In Your Pocket. When you are in a crowded enough place you should keep your thumbs in your front pockets to protect your wallet and prevent anyone from taking it.

-In Your pants. Carry whatever you absolutely cannot lose in the front of the inside of your pants right in between your jean zipper. This may be a camera, passport, etc. But don’t ever put your wallet there because every mugger knows that you are carrying your wallet and if its not in your pockets then they will probably search elsewhere. This is very effective as one night the three different people I was out with had their cameras stolen, but not mine.

-Don’t Lock your bags. Either put your valuables in the hotel safe or don’t bother locking them at all. Putting locks on your luggage is what will attract thief's to your bags and not the other ones which are easily accessed. I met way too many people that figured this out after realizing that their bag was the only bag that had locks on it.

travel tips

Have backup plans- I have three debit cards, one active, two backups. If I lose one, it's all good, I'll just call Wells Fargo and cancel.

Always have $500 USD cash in case you have trouble withdrawing money, or if you plan on renting an apartment. It's a pain in the ass to withdraw ~$1,500 from ATMs for security deposit + 1st month, but $500 gives you a good head start.

If you're traveling regularly, do American Airline's Gold Challenge- it lets you get Gold status for just 5,000 miles, as long as you get those 5,000 miles within three months of starting the challenge. If you're flying from LAX or SFO => EZE you'll get status the second you touch down in Argentina. Be careful with your fare code- the deep discount, $800 flights don't count. But, the $1,200 flights are much more flexible, easier to move around, and count more in miles. Flying's a million times better with status.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.htm...lenge_(AA)

Avoid binge travel. It's fun for the first week, just like binge drinking can be fun for the first few hours. Travel around a bit, find somewhere you like, and get a nice apartment for a few months.

Get your shit together. Figure out a way to make money abroad- if you're going on vacation, you're doing it wrong! If your skills don't lend themselves to working for yourself, get new skills. If you're a plumber, you're shit out of luck. Go get a new skillset that will give you flexibility, but go in expecting it will take 2-3 years to be able to live abroad comfortably.

travel tips

Quote: (12-21-2009 05:56 PM)Jaif Wrote:  

Get your shit together. Figure out a way to make money abroad- if you're going on vacation, you're doing it wrong!

This is gold! I see myself as a resident of the world in the future, spending my time among countries that bring me the most happiness.

I dont even think I even want my future children to grow up in the US. The culture and values are not what I want them to absorb.

travel tips

Quote: (12-21-2009 08:45 AM)jmb Wrote:  

-In Your pants. Carry whatever you absolutely cannot lose in the front of the inside of your pants right in between your jean zipper. This may be a camera, passport, etc.

JMB, sounds like a good idea. But I dont understand, how do I put my camera in my pants without it falling out my pant leg?
Are you using a money belt type device?

travel tips

cool thread idea.

ive got a good 16 months of int'l travel in my past and im moving again on the 30th for at least a year... i would never claim to know a lot but here's what ive got:

First and foremost do not carry your passport. Get an int'l ID card, student ID, library card, US driver license, whatever..what you do carry is a PHOTOCOPY of your passport. only time you EVER need ur passport is to enter a country or to get arrested in a country. in which case if u get arrested, u have the copy which has ur passport number and you're good to go.. when people have asked me for my passport and ive pulled that out coupled with US driver license Ive never had a problem and rarely even comes up..

limit your cash. think at the start of the day or when you live what are you gonna buy, how many drinks you want, how expensive a dinner you want.. etc.. i rarely leave my hostel or place in Europe with more than 40euros and normally just 20.. Stops you from spending too much, drinking too much and keeps you travelling happily longer.

dont use money belts anywhere but highly public touristy pick pocket areas.. (Times Square, NYC... Spanish Steps, Rome, etc) .., people watch u take them out.. follow you then mug you cause they know youve got good shit. two people on my study abroad trip a few years ago had muggers that knew they were wearing a money belt. besides they're gay in the first place. i have two, you want em?

FRONT POCKETS only, you're back pocket is for trash.
I've got this wallet that is only big enough for ID & 3 cards. it's awesome cause it fits in front pocket and doesnt obstruct anything.. this way you get mugged you give that to the guy and you still have your loose cash.

Be casual with your camera, blackberry, ipod.

ditch the shiny watch, leather looks better anyways

do not gawk, dilly dally, be overly tourist in a stupid place... etc.. street smarts meng

I read some great ones i'd like to agree with. RUN. I partied in central, north central madrid for 9 months. Where I lived I had to walk thru lavapiés which was the shittiest place in the city. gangs, drug dealers.. reminds me of china town in the 90s after midnight.. either way.. if you're alone, run.. you're probably a little drunk and burning some calories will help sober you up so you don't spin when u get in bed and close your eyes.

travel tips

Don't walk out the house with what you can't afford to lose.

Otherwise call a taxi.

travel tips

Quote: (12-22-2009 01:28 AM)deadgabacho Wrote:  

I read some great ones i'd like to agree with. RUN. I partied in central, north central madrid for 9 months. Where I lived I had to walk thru lavapiés which was the shittiest place in the city. gangs, drug dealers.. reminds me of china town in the 90s after midnight.. either way.. if ou're alone, run.. you're probably a little drunk and burning some calories will help sober you up so you don't spin when u get in bed and close your eyes.

Of Lavapiés I remenber great sandwiches in Melo´s and almost getting robbed there on my second day in Madrid.

travel tips

I always travel with some probiotic thingies called "intestinex". If I don't trust the water or I'm having a stomachache that takes it away instantly.

travel tips

Quote: (12-21-2009 08:45 AM)El Viajero Wrote:  

-Run, don’t walk. If you somehow need to walk a few blocks at night in a dangerous place, run instead of walk

This is gold.I always to this in dangerous parts of my city and it always works. Its very unlikely that thugs will approach a crazy guy running at 4 a.m.

Chicks need to be on rotation like a Netflix queue

travel tips

If there are areas you are gonna be frequenting alot at night, try to scope that area out beforehand during the day. Look for alleys, landmarks, anything that stands out and you'll be able to remember. That way, if some s*** goes down at night and you need to disappear, you are familiar enough with your surroundings and will be better off. This has saved me countless times. [Image: banana.gif]

travel tips

The tip I am going to give is borrowed from my previous boss. And it has been proved right thing to do, especially for those who do frequent travels.

Before starting to explore the world beyond, first save everything that is possible, electronically. Scan you passport, citizenship certificate, tickets, travel map, contacts and so on, and save it in your email or personal website.

One of my boss' friend, who is a spiritual teacher, used to travel around the world. Once, he lost his whole lot of things: bags including his personal documents. He had nothing to show his status in that country.

In such cases, if you have saved your personal documents in email etc, you can reproduce at any such undesirable situation. Plus, this habit will be useful even for your college certificates, training certificates, birth certificates and all that in your everyday life.
travel insurance quote