rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Flashpacking

Flashpacking

From Wikipedia:

Flashpacking is a neologism used to refer to an affluent backpacker. Whereas backpacking is traditionally associated with budget travel and destinations that are relatively cheap, flashpacking has an association of more disposable income while traveling and has been defined simply as backpacking with a bigger budget.[11]

A simple definition of the term Flashpacker can be thought of as backpacking with flash, or style. One school of thought defines the flashpacker as a rapidly growing segment of travelers who adhere to a modest accommodation and meal budget, while spending freely, even excessively, for activities at their chosen destination. Another school of thought defines flashpacking as an incongruous mix of 'slumming it' and luxury; of adventurous travel with those on a budget by day and sedate dining and comfortable accommodation by night.[12] Flashpackers have been further defined as tech-savvy adventurers who often prefer to travel with a cell phone, digital camera, iPod and a laptop,[13] although none of these is required in order to be a flashpacker.

Flashpacking

I can say I flashpacked it on my S. America trip last spring. But these days, who doesn't carry and iPod, digital camera and laptop with them? I spent about $4000 on my 2 months including airfare and visa fees. That's probably more than most budget backpackers would expect to spend. A large chunk of that was spent in Rio alone which sucked the most of my money. Chile also sucked a lot of money out of me.

Flashpacking

Here are a few things I do whenever I travel to a city for the purpose of mating & relating [Image: blush.gif]

1. Rent a private flat in the city center -- strategically located within walking distance of bars/clubs/universities/cafes. Privates flats can be much more affordable than hotel rooms and generally far more luxurious. The last one I rented in Vilnius was 110 square meters with stunning views of the Old Town and I paid less than $70 USD per night.

2. Find the tastiest restaurant in town and order a big take-out meal. This can be pizza, Japanese, or whatever cuisine you fancy when drunk. When I'm out about town later that night and chatting with a girl as the club is closing down...I'll usually tell her that I have a huge spread of food from the restaurant back at my place and that we should go eat. Irresistible at 4am in the morning. And a nice consolation prize if the girl doesn't come home with you :-)

3. Stock up the flat with alcohol. Have my iPod connected to the speakers for mood music. Throw a party -- inviting girls I've made contact with during my first couple of days. Voila. Instead of a wandering nomadic tourist who's going to disappear after the weekend, you suddenly become viewed as a RESIDENT throwing parties in a posh flat. I don't know what it is about doing this but it kicks in a girl's nesting instincts and I barely have to game to get girls throwing themselves at me.

4. Pay for a day pass at a 5 star hotel's spa/facilities. These usually don't cost very much and lets you use their swimming pool, sauna, gym, jacuzzi, etc. Great way to work out and relax in the lap of luxury.

Will post more as I think of them...

Flashpacking

Good stuff...look forward to more

Flashpacking

kindredspirit,

You got some great tips.

I wrote about that "Food Close" in regards specifically to Exotic Dancers a while back: Advanced move for Picking up Exotic Dancers

http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2007/10/adv...xotic.html

But it is a great move on Civilians as well.

As far as "Pay for a day pass at a 5 star hotel's spa/facilities."

I usually do this:

Dress sharp as broken glass when you walk into the high end resorts and go eat and start introducing yourself. Act like you own the place. Maybe throw around a little grease ( http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2006/01/art...se_04.html )

Pretty soon you will have the run of the place.

I did this at Four Seasons Maui, and had them taking me all around the island in the hotel's "house town car" Pro-bono!

And I wasn't even a guest.

(I thought you would like this one, Kona.)

Flashpacking

Quote: (12-09-2009 06:08 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

(I thought you would like this one, Kona.)

I do like that.

One less car means one less Japanese bride and groom's photo tour screwing with traffic.

Aloha!

Flashpacking

good info.

Flashpacking

Flashpacker? Affluent backpacker? Why can't you say you're just a traveler? Kind of retarded

Flashpacking

Flashpackers can be instantly spotted by their over-abundance of North Face apparel.