rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Tropes vs Women in video games"

Link here

Summary: Feminist makes a Kickstarter for $6000 to make a vlog about the representation of women in videogames. She reached her target, and then some in less than 24 hours.

Quote:Quote:

"I love playing video games but I’m regularly disappointed in the limited and limiting ways women are represented. This video project will explore, analyze and deconstruct some of the most common tropes and stereotypes of female characters in games. The series will highlight the larger reoccurring patterns and conventions used within the gaming industry rather than just focusing on the worst offenders. I’m going to need your help to make it happen!"

Discuss.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Why it's as if stereotypes just materialize out of thin air!

And that's worth 6000$ how? It's like she's filming Titanic instead of buying some games, making some screenshots/fraps videos and assembling it with Windows MovieMaker.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

I bet she won't even address the "unrealistically strong, grrrl power ass kicking warrior, who gets all of the men's respect" stereotype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8I0Wy58adM

Look at all the dislikes, lmao.

I also love how the moron not just left comments open but also ARCHIVED them, further exposing her idiocy to people with half a brain.

http://femfreq.tumblr.com/post/244744326...on-youtube

If this chick had been raising money to come up with her own video game, I'd give her mad props. Why go through the effort of creating something yourself when you can just get paid to spout bullshit?

It is very typical of certain women. When they see men having fun, instead of going and finding their own thing, they instead just choose to fuck with what the men are doing.

I'm not going to watch her videos because.....well, fuck her that's why.

She doesn't know who she is fucking with. Nerd rage is the most destructive force on the internet.

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.

Ignoring equivalent male character types. Check.

Strongindependantwoman asking for money to do her useless project. Check.

The project page says it has $24,600 pledged. She could make these videos for free, or the cost of a web cam.

For example, the guy who does the zero punctuation video game reviews made them on windows movie maker for free. Then they got popular and he was hired by a website to do this full time.

He put himself out there and the market responded to his product. Then he made money.

She feels entitled to make money up front. And she got her way because of her female privilege.

I'm defintely donating for this. :V

Nope.

You'll hear women bitch about the 'unrealistic portrayals of women' because, ohmygod! - they're hot and thin. "WOMEN LIKE THAT DON'T EXIST." Who's the real misogynist? Ironic evidence of how feminists are ugly - they can't conceive of a woman being naturally sexy.

Meanwhile, the guys are sometimes so freakishly jacked, they make Ronnie Coleman look normal. Plus they have impeccable definition while eating nothing and getting no sleep. But we're guys, we like having aspirational yet impossible ideals. For entitled feminists, it's 'fatkinis' all the way.

Westerncancer, feminists actually probably aren't to blame for that game meme, of ass kicking heroine. That's nerds all the way. Nerds feel so distant from girls, that the only way they can relate to them is when girls effectively become men, or so nerds think. They see a tomboy and think 'finally, a woman who will understand me.' Feminists have penis envy, so they don't have a problem with this nerd fantasy. Plus, the nerd secretly believes harboring these anti-chauvinist beliefs will score him points with women.

Quote: (06-05-2012 03:18 PM)rivex Wrote:  

Ignoring equivalent male character types. Check.

Strongindependantwoman asking for money to do her useless project. Check.

The project page says it has $24,600 pledged. She could make these videos for free, or the cost of a web cam.

For example, the guy who does the zero punctuation video game reviews made them on windows movie maker for free. Then they got popular and he was hired by a website to do this full time.

He put himself out there and the market responded to his product. Then he made money.

She feels entitled to make money up front. And she got her way because of her female privilege.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's sad that she had the nerve to try and attack freaking video games, that she probably only plays because she's don't like go outside, tries to escape reality, and/or fat, and that some of the most popular video games in the world feature awesome chicks. Ex: Metroid. Tomb Raider. Metal Gear Solid (The Boss).

Anyone noticed how almost every single action movie these days has its ass kicking action heroine? They can all shoot, throw down knock out punches and fix shit. They drive, drink, show the men up. Think of all the bull dykes that show up when the marines come!

Its getting so bad they feel the need to reinvent Maid Marian from Robin Hood as an ass kicker, and turned Guinevere from King Arthur into a pagan, bow and arrow wielding warrior.

I think in the video she says "it takes a lot of time to research this stuff." ie I should be compensated monetarily for following a passion of mine. That'd be like if a game blogger started demanding money before he even wrote anything, it would be like an unheard of band demanding a 6 figure record deal and a world tour without putting out a record or a fan base. Game bloggers spend hours of their time because they care about it and are genuinely interested, bands have day jobs and quit them to go on tour. They spend their free time practicing and playing local concerts because they give a shit about what they do, not because they feel like they should be given money before they even produce anything.

Quote: (06-05-2012 09:47 PM)Hooligan Harry Wrote:  

Anyone noticed how almost every single action movie these days has its ass kicking action heroine? They can all shoot, throw down knock out punches and fix shit. They drive, drink, show the men up. Think of all the bull dykes that show up when the marines come!

Its getting so bad they feel the need to reinvent Maid Marian from Robin Hood as an ass kicker, and turned Guinevere from King Arthur into a pagan, bow and arrow wielding warrior.

Don't forget Snow White being trained in medieval combat!

Quote: (06-05-2012 01:14 PM)porcupine Wrote:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8I0Wy58adM

Look at all the dislikes, lmao.

It's amazing how much feminism can offend people. All the more reason to fight for it.
Lol what an idiot. Yes, it HAS to be worth fighting for if it offends people. I should go take a shit in the street and fight for my right to do it because it will offend people [Image: tard.gif]

The world of game need this kind of analysis, because there is a lot of gamer girls, but all the games are made for boys, and the games for girl are always stereotypes :/

I've ALWAYS been a massive Metal Gear fan, but after the 4th installment, I could no longer tolerate the disgusting manner in which woman were portrayed in that series. . .honestly, I can't even put into words..I can't turn myself back onto the game series after that. Arkham City was pretty horrible, too. with the constant use of the word "bitch".

As far as misogyny in comic books, Starfire had a horrible reboot, and of course, Harley Quinn's remark about "a clown car" was cringe worthy...

If you've seen any of her videos or tracked any of her activity, you'd know that she does more than just play around with her camera. Seeing as you've apparently done neither, your opinion on this matter is irrelevant.

Because doing research actually does cost money. Everyone seems to think that scholars have a bottomless supply of money to go all over the place to find the stuff they need for their research... I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a cache of primary and secondary source materials in her basement...

Sexism is there. Case in point Metroid the other M. The entire plot of that game dealt with Samus being unable to act unless the man told her to. then you also have fighting games that treat women as nothing more than fap material. Then you have rpgs that reward woman characters for wearing an impractical iron bikini with higher armor class. There are problems that need to be addressed, be it the content in the games or the culture surrounding them. Woman are not always looking to cry wolf btw.

This sort of research isn't a simple trip to the library as it is with grade school. And I agree, it is disturbing that Anita needs to expend such resources to prove to people that there is a problem in popular media. If people would just open their eyes, she could spend her time on something else. Instead, she has to go to great lengths to make people see the obvious.

Well, I can't say exactly how she'll use the money, but I do know (from some experience) that doing any sort of serious documentary project takes a lot of resources. I think asking for $6,000 for a project like this is perfectly reasonable; the additional $18,000+ she's received points to how much folks want to support the project.

I just want to say - I think it's great that Feminist Frequency has been able to generate so much support (and so quickly) for this project - obviously there are a lot of us who value what Sarkeesian does.

And, one thing for all the haters: remember that criticizing something is not the same as dismissing, censoring or reviling it, and that serious criticism helps foster a deeper, more complex understanding of art and media.

Then again, she's managed to guilt trip several people into donating over $25k into producing FUCKING YOUTUBE VIDEOS, so maybe she's not stupid.

(Or she is and her followers are even stupider.)

That last quote is amazing, holy shit.

Quote: (06-05-2012 09:55 PM)Enfant_Terrible Wrote:  

Don't forget Snow White being trained in medieval combat!

Hahahahahhaahahahah

This is exactly what I am talking about!

25 000$! This is even worse than before. Not only all of her arguments idiotic, but producing even a large documentary doesn't cost even a tenth of that money - particularly about something for which ALL resources are available online and nearly for free!

it is disturbing that Anita needs to expend such resources to prove to people that there is a problem in popular media.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Kickstarter is where it's at right now. Gotta find a way to tap into that moolah.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Quote: (06-05-2012 10:30 AM)Architekt Wrote:  

Link here

Summary: Feminist makes a Kickstarter for $6000 to make a vlog about the representation of women in videogames. She reached her target, and then some in less than 24 hours.

"I love playing video games but I’m regularly disappointed in the limited and limiting ways women are represented. This video project will explore, analyze and deconstruct some of the most common tropes and stereotypes of female characters in games. The series will highlight the larger reoccurring patterns and conventions used within the gaming industry rather than just focusing on the worst offenders. I’m going to need your help to make it happen!"

Discuss.

Feminism in America is a joke. Women literally have to SEARCH for any sort of "problem" that may exist in how women are treated. Even worse, this is only an abstract problem, aka one that exists entirely in her head.

Even worse is the level of selfishness that the veil of feminism allows women to pursue. If she really cared about women's rights she would ask for a fundraiser to help women that are being raped, then killed for the family's "honor", in the Middle East. Of course, this isn't the case because quite frankly, this chick is a conceited bitch.

Quote: (06-05-2012 01:25 PM)j r Wrote:  

If this chick had been raising money to come up with her own video game, I'd give her mad props. Why go through the effort of creating something yourself when you can just get paid to spout bullshit?

It is very typical of certain women. When they see men having fun, instead of going and finding their own thing, they instead just choose to fuck with what the men are doing.

THIS RIGHT HERE. This, in my opinion, is the driving force of a lot of this shit. This deep-seated fear that somewhere, some group of men is having fun and/or doing something awesome---and there are no women there to stop them or claim a share of the credit.

the funniest thing about this is that a lot of men have done about 99% of the work for her already.

All she has to do is read this for a bit - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Ma...gameTropes - pick up the FULLY EXPLAINED tropes on the sites that she wants to talk about, be offended about them for a few minutes in front of a green screen, edit and DONE.

I'd act like a whiny feminist too if it meant that i would pocket tens of thousands of dollars for barely any work