rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Alphas and Betas in college classes

I just completed a year of teaching at a major university business school to mostly freshman and soph. level.

The reason I chose to teach was to get a free ride in tuition, in addition I enjoy teaching and helping students to succeed.

Being someone who study self help and a person of color. I wanted to help give back and bring balance in resources to minority students. I felt they were playing at a disadvantage.

Before teaching I work on wall street and wanted to share my experience in order to help the the disadvantage student have more access to better resources.

"There are hidden markets and hidden opportunity. Networking unlock these resources."

So what did I learn from teaching and the student dynamics in college. This is what I learn.

I was shock to learn that the beta students who did not win scholarships and were usually minorities, unemploy or had shitty part time jobs.

I offer the beta shy students, If I could assist them in finding a job or a scholarship. They in turn avoided me like the plague and did not want me to help them. Lack of self entitlement and they were usually cynical.

I notice the alpha men and girls sat in the front of class and understood the value I offer and they were extremely motivated try to learn from me. And more importantly took the effort to befriend me and get to know me personally. They understood the game and what was going on. And I was the key to unlocking it.

I integrated lessons on winning scholarships, jobs, interviews and resource on campus into my business courses. The only students that email me and ask for my help were the alpha male and females. None of the beta ask for help.

I even took steps to talk to the shy minority students, who had no jobs or scholarships. I guess them felt they didn’t deserve my help. They avoided me.

The alpha girls, who were bless with beauty and brains sat up front and ask me personal questions about my life. I obliviously ignore this, in order to be professional. I also notice the alpha male and girls who won scholarships and had 4.0 gpa were not cynical. They were very happy and positive. While the betas did not smile or were extremely cynical about the world. Success is about having a positive attitude.

When I was on campus, the alphas girls would run up to me and say how is your day. They approach. Subconscious attraction at work.

The point of this story is to point out the fact, betas will find ways to stay in their position in life and feel they don’t deserve the best resources. Lack of self entitlement.

I myself was a shy beta student and wanted to help the beta the most since they were playing at a disadvantage, I wanted to help them win scholarships and introduce them to professors and contacts to jobs. I guess they felt they were not entitled to such resources and favors. Self sabotage at work.

Alpha girls who were hot and smart, understood the game, and quickly ask for help. I was reluctant to help them; The alphas girls understand resources and how to get it quick and fast. The beta men and women avoided me the most. Even when I made it clear I was there biggest fan and strongest ally.

I also notice betas don't see the value in networking and making friends on campus. Friendship to betas are not important. Survival to betas was more important. Betas don't look to make friends. I notice in my minority students who were usually shy, but smart,with no scholarships. These students could easily win scholarships base off the fact they were Hispanic or native american. Any advice on my part was consider crazy talk. They just wanted to live in there reality. They did not want to be alpha dog. They did not like attention either.

Any attention I gave to beta men or women in class was quickly neutralize. Betas do not like the spotlight.

Alphas value friendship and networking. Alpha spend alot of time building these relationships. Because they know it leads to better resources for there offsprings.

A good example are sororities and frats.

When I ask for a volunteer in class, the alphas were quickly to volunteer, and relish the spotlight.

I have realize from teaching, I cannot do anything to help the betas. They want to be beta. It is best to help those who chose to be help.

It is a waste of time to help them. They just don't see the value in what I teach. There reality is fantasy.

Excellent post.

This is a very deep subject and you have made some great observations.
  • I only help people who go out of their way to seek my help.
  • I do things that seem helpful but my motives are for personal reasons that have nothing to do with others.
  • A friend of mine made an interesting point stating that, helping people creates more competition in an already saturated field.

Quote: (05-29-2012 06:30 AM)jerome Wrote:  

I just completed a year of teaching at a major university business school to mostly freshman and soph. level ... to get a free ride in tuition.

In the U.S., you must already have a graduate degree to teach university. Also, you don't appear to be a native writer of English. Where are you teaching?

Nice post. I did some teaching myself when I was a graduate student.

Most of these kids realized the importance of networking and were eager to come to department seminars and such.

The point of this story is to point out the fact, betas will find ways to stay in their position in life and feel they don’t deserve the best resources. Lack of self entitlement.

It is a waste of time to help them. They just don't see the value in what I teach. There reality is fantasy.

This is so true. The self-sabotaging mentality that betas have, its like an impossible cycle to break out of.

I don't think people that are in the 100% beta state of mind ever break out of it. I think guys you see on this board that are improving their lives were fortunate to have at least some attributes of the alphas you described in your class.

I think it's impossible to truly improve your life while maintaining a cynical mindset.

I rarely ask my professor for help on stuff. I don't get the best grades (I've been doing this shit nonstop since I was 6, can you blame me for being a little amotivated?) but I would hardly call the guys who never crawl out of their professor's asses "alpha males".

Yeah, I've been there, where I won't get help from a professor. Does that make me beta? Maybe a little bit. I'd probably try harder in classes if I didn't have to try so hard out of classes to get laid. That's all I really want. If I could do it over again, I sure as hell wouldn't have gone to college.

I'm pretty damn cynical, but I still self improve. It would have been nice to be born a natural, but we can't have everything in life.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Quote: (05-29-2012 08:43 AM)Divorco Wrote:  

In the U.S., you must already have a graduate degree to teach university.

Not necessarily. Many graduate students who only have a bachelor's degree have teaching responsibilities in return for a tuition waiver.

"Never smarten up a chump," like W.C. Fields said. At best it's a waste of time. At worst they learn just enough to turn on you. I only help those who seek help.

AB ANTIQUO, AB AETERNO

Great post!