rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best way to lose weight quickly

When I get back home next week from Thailand I want to drop a few pounds in weight as quick as possible. Been drinking far too much out here and eating a lot of junk food and it's pushed my weight up.

I was thinking cutting out carbs for a few weeks might be a good start and eating as healthy as I can with some exercise.

Any other suggestions?

Dude, there is a shit-load of threads on this, but you actually raise an important point I'd like to address. I know guys in here like to tell each other different, but there's no quick fix to a healthy lifestyle.

As suggested many times before, the Paleo diet has easy-to-follow principles that complement fat-cutting well. Exercise should be part of any renaissance man's routine, so you might as well get on that as well.

Having concrete goals is a good way to get yourself motivated, but in reality you want to enjoy the workouts and healthy eating for itself, not because it helps you get something. Love the workout, the sweat and the discomfort the same way you love the pump afterwards. Savor the meals you prepare. Does that mean you should never enjoy a six-pack or a pizza? Of course, not. Everything in moderation.

There's money in peddling quick-fix solutions to everything, which is why you see them everywhere. But it's an unhealthy attitude. You might as well learn to delay instant gratification now rather than realize that's what you should've been doing all along when you turn 65.

PS. The most realistic, sustainable fat-loss you can reasonably hope for is a pound a week, which would be very good. I myself am trying to lose 20lbs of fat (out of +40lbs). That's 20 weeks, so I don't expect to reach my "ideal" until mid-September. Not saying you can't do better, but what's the rush? Sooner or later you'll converge to your ideal if you make the changes necessary to your habits. If it's just a quick-fix you're going for, you'll regress back to chubbiness as soon as you reach your goal.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

I hate working out but I enjoy eating good food, I'm just in holiday mode out here and drinking too much and eating junk food.

There's no real rush but I'd like to do it as quickly as possible. Will have a look at the Paleo diet.

Quote: (05-25-2012 03:19 AM)AlphaTravel Wrote:  

When I get back home next week from Thailand I want to drop a few pounds in weight as quick as possible. Been drinking far too much out here and eating a lot of junk food and it's pushed my weight up.

I was thinking cutting out carbs for a few weeks might be a good start and eating as healthy as I can with some exercise.

Any other suggestions?

Stop all the drinking and eating all the junk food, workout and you will lose the weight...quickly? now that's on you...

You don't need to buy books or order expensive supplements etc.

1)make sure you burn more calories than you eat.

2) eat lots of fatty food and stuff with protein. ( eggs, meat, butter, nuts)

Those are more satiating than foods that contain mostly carbohydrates.

3) avoid alcohol, it makes you fat. 1 beer is ok but then again, a lot of people like myself can't drink just one beer. Once I start drinking there's no stopping...and you can easily take in 1000 - 2000 kcal in one evening just by drinking alcohol, however, 2000 kcal is the amount of calories that the average persons needs per day !

Quote: (05-25-2012 01:33 PM)sheesh Wrote:  

3) avoid alcohol, it makes you fat. 1 beer is ok but then again, a lot of people like myself can't drink just one beer. Once I start drinking there's no stopping...and you can easily take in 1000 - 2000 kcal in one evening just by drinking alcohol, however, 2000 kcal is the amount of calories that the average persons needs per day !

Can you clarify if it's the alcohol itself that makes you fat, or just the calories associated with it? I tend to drink often, but it's mostly scotch on the rocks, so no mixers etc.

"In a pure form, alcohol has a calorie content of approximately seven calories per gram. In alcoholic beverages such as beer, wine or liquor, alcohol is diluted by the water content of these drinks. In the United States, liquor defined as 100 proof is actually only 50 percent alcohol. Therefore, 20 g of liquor at 100 proof would contain 10 g of alcohol. This would equate to approximately 70 calories from alcohol.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/294819...z1vuVCLIGv"

1 ounces = 28.3495231 grams

so 1.5oz in a standard shot of liquor = 42 grams of liquor. Well say 80 proof liquor so that is 40% alcohol or 16.8 grams of pure alcohol which comes out to 117.6 calories. add a bit more for whatever the liquor uses to dilute the alcohol.

and slubu you can't differentiate between alcohol and calories. Yes the calories are what is responsible for making your fat but the alcohol contains the calories. The carbs (sugar is a carb) that are added to it also contain 4 calories per gram.

So for every standard shot of an 80 proof liquor you would have to run 1 mile to burn off the calories you took in.

I run because I drink

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

Quote: (05-25-2012 01:52 PM)slubu Wrote:  

Can you clarify if it's the alcohol itself that makes you fat, or just the calories associated with it? I tend to drink often, but it's mostly scotch on the rocks, so no mixers etc.

Alcohol itself contains calories, is energy. I'm not referring to other effects it has on the body since I'm not an expert on this. No matter what they are though , alcohol contains a lot of energy which you cannot "hide" from the body.

Looking at calorie tables on the internet, I may have to correct my earlier statement. An intake of 2000 kcal through drinking alone might be a bit excessive, but 1000 kcal in one evening is definitely doable, done it many times.

Anyway, I lose weight pretty well with the aforementioned tips but I put it on again mainly through drinking.

I've always had a little gut from not giving a shit what I eat or drink. Naturally high metabolism so I never really cared. I'm 6'3" and most of my life I've weighed around 170. Never had much mass or definition.

6-7 weeks ago I started getting more intensive with fitness. I do resistance and HIIT 3-4 times a week. I do intermittent fasting. Every day I make a shake with goji berries, maca, raw cocoa, creatine, and AC vinegar. No eating after 7pm. Cut way down on booze. Transition from simple carbs to more protein and saturated fat.

I'm 193 now, way more toned and my abs are starting to show. This all happened in just under two months.

So for the OP, there are a million ways to skin a cat, you just gotta find a routine that meshes with your lifestyle. The above guideline is what is getting results for me.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Try intermittent fasting. I'm sure there's plenty of threads on here about it. But you can still consume plenty of calories on it and lose weight. Or gain muscle while losing fat if you are currently weight training

Here's my advice:

First off cut all junk food, soda, and sweets, as well as high fat foods: fried food, half/half, sour cream, whole milk, whipped cream.

Cut back majorly on carbs, this would largely include: bread, pasta, pizza, rice

Limit your beer intake, drink wine, or drink light beer

Eat a mostly vegetarian diet, tons of salad, soup, veggie stir-fry, etc., fruit is good, but in moderation since it has a bunch of sugar.

Eat two meals a day, and make them smaller portions, if needed can supplement with healthy snacks like almonds through the day.

Do a shit ton of cardio, people hate on cardio here, because it burns muscle in additon to fat, but if you're looking to shed pounds, jog, run, swim, hit the eliptical machine, stair master, etc.

Also sit in a sauna or steam room a few times a week.

I just did a 10 day juice fast and lost 10 pounds, starting at prob. around 13-14% body fat. Obviously a lot of that wasn't fat, but I do look leaner. If you're not working out anyway it's worth doing. It kick started me into a healthier overall diet. I've never looked forward to a salad so much as I did after 10 days of cucumber/kale/celery juice. Watch "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" for motivation (on netflix instant).

I'm realizing that raw greens and fruit were a big missing component of my diet. The skin on my face looks straight up better somehow since adding more greens and fruit in. I eat "paleo" now but with an emphasis on greens, fruit, and seafood rather than stacking up as much animal protein on one plate as possible.

Did you follow a particular juice fasting diet?

I lost 20 lbs in two months using Dave Palumbo's keto diet (just google it). It's a high protein, moderate fat, low carb diet.

I continued lifting but did no cardio at all.

The diet is somewhat restrictive in types of food but I seldom felt hungry, probably due to the high protein content

You get one cheat meal a week at which you eat a ton of carbs to replenish yourself.

I drank a bit which is cheating but still lost the weight.

After I stopped I went to a semi paleo diet which has helped me maintain the weight

My abs are now starting to show

I'm about to start another round of keto to try and get a six pack

I know other people have gotten good results with intermittent fasting

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

I tried intermittent fasting and got terrible headaches. Not sure why. Apparently a lot of people do love it though.

Quote: (05-26-2012 04:23 AM)AlphaTravel Wrote:  

Did you follow a particular juice fasting diet?

I just took the main recipe from that documentary and drank that as many times a day as I needed in order to not feel hungry.

That is:

4 stalks of celery
1 cucumber
1 granny smith apple
3-4 kale leaves
small piece of ginger root
half a lemon

Honestly bro, diets and shit generally do not work. Lifestyle changes are what makes lasting differences.
I have no experience with juice fasts and what not, but most diets will not work because once you go off of the diet, you will gain the weight back fairly quickly.

Pick up a sport or activity that you like. Something that you will ENJOY doing 3-4x a week. Surfing, boxing, Jiu Jitsu, mountain biking, tennis, basketball, weight lifting, hiking, etc.

Then it's just a matter of cleaning up your diet a bit. It doesn't even have to be drastic. Exercising 3-4x a week and cut out most fast food/pizza/etc. the majority of the time and you will lose weight and gain muscle definition. If you want to lose weight quickly, do your sport 4-5x a week and really clean up your diet.

Eating healthy when at home is not too difficult for me, I can do that and as it's now summer back home and the weather is good I guess I've no excuse for not getting outside and getting some exercise. I still want to go on some sort of detox or diet to quickly lose a bit of weight before returning to normal, healthy, eating though.

The juice fast sounds interesting but not sure if I could handle just drinking, some possibly vile tasting drink all day every day for 10 days!

It would be great if your gave us some timelines and goals of where you want to be at. I can can give you some hellish ways to drop weight fast but its grueling shit of: fasting, sauna and sweat suit training, and eating nothing more than liquids/smoothies and high quality fats. If you are not on a strict timeline I would not recommend it and just do a more traditional lifestyle diet swap. But if you are like thinking like 4 weeks you need to drop a significant amount of weight then let me know and I will drop a sheet.

I started a diet yesterday for summer boat season. I cut all carbs out so far and I eat some ground chicken burgers with no bread and some sausages with mustard. I'm going to try that hundred push ups thing as well. I've had friends go on that juice diet with great success. I just need to lose 10 lbs but I'll transition on to the paleo diet after about a week. I did it last summer and felt great it's so fucking hot here if you eat bread and shit it kills you.

Quote: (05-27-2012 11:23 AM)kosko Wrote:  

It would be great if your gave us some timelines and goals of where you want to be at. I can can give you some hellish ways to drop weight fast but its grueling shit of: fasting, sauna and sweat suit training, and eating nothing more than liquids/smoothies and high quality fats. If you are not on a strict timeline I would not recommend it and just do a more traditional lifestyle diet swap. But if you are like thinking like 4 weeks you need to drop a significant amount of weight then let me know and I will drop a sheet.

I know this is old but I came across this and need to lose 65 pounds by the summer for wrestling. I would llike it if you gave me some pointers.

Drink green tea, eat some coconut oil, drink some apple cidar vinegar, cut down on the carbs, eat two or three meals a day, and go to the gym a few times a week. It's easy.

'common sense'

All people know how to lose weight. They know what they are doing wrong but don't want to blame themselves. 'I am busy, I can't go to gym' 'only coke kills my thirst' 'eating pizza isn't too bad'
so they try to find shortcuts or some kind of secret.

Let's say you write down what you did and ate today. You know which part people are going to point out? then get rid of those.

BTW, geez did he get banned by writing this thread?

You need to lose 65 pounds? By Summer I'll assume you mean July. In 3 months? Thats not going to happen without substantial muscle loss. To really lose 65 pounds of fat you are realistically looking at atleast 33 weeks.