rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Text Messaging While Abroad

I got a girl's number in the UK today. Hooray. I didn't really stop to think about the logistics of it; I only have a US cell phone here, and its not unlocked.

I'm only here for another week so I don't want to waste money getting it unlocked or buying a throwaway phone if possible. I've tried Skype (can't receive replies), assorted web based services, and carrier pidgeon (too messy).

I know the 'correct' choice is to unlock my iphone and buy a local SIM, but with only a week left I would like to avoid spending the money since my budget is getting a bit tight. I searched the forums, and googled around, but nothing really decisive has come up. What do traveling players do? This is my first phone number abroad but not likely my last. What should I do going forward so this isn't an issue again?

Just text with your phone. But every message will be more expensive, but not that much. That's what i do when i go to other country.

My local friend says that if she doesn't have an Int'l text plan she won't be able to text me back. That'd be awful.

There is an app called WhatsApp that I use to txt relatives overseas. Download it and get your girls to, too

You're the second person to suggest that! I like the idea but it is not very 'smooth'. I don't want to have to get a new girl to install a fuckin' app for me. That's asking a bit much.

Going forward, I think I just need to make sure my phone is unlocked and I have a local SIM next time I travel internationally. I'll sort it out for this week somehow...

Is it really a bit much? It's a free app that doesn't take but a moment to set up, at least to my recollection. She might even have it.

"Hey, do you have WhatsApp?"
and you'll either get, "Yes" or "What's that?"

If it's a Yes, there you go. If it's a What's that?, you can sell her on it.

Girls live on their phones, it won't be a bit much.

Wherever you go you need to be getting a local SIM to make it as easy as possible for local girls to get in touch. In the UK a girl might not mind as much texting a US number which is a bit more expensive but in many countries they just won't waste their cash on it. Why don't you avoid all these problems by calling the girl direct instead of texting?