rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Any recommended multivitamins?

I used to use Centrum, then switched to Rainbow Light Mens One, and once tried some expensive stuff that came in a glass bottle. Can't say I've ever noticed a difference between any of them.

I have noticed a difference when not taking any multivitamins (my eye health felt worse, though I don't recall specifically what it was, but I remember realizing that I had run out of multivitamins a couple of weeks prior, and it went away after resuming a daily multi), so I guess I'll keep taking them. But if I'm gonna spend the money on this, it would be nice to find a brand that people are seeing results with.

Consumer Reports once checked it out. Apparently, there is no real difference between major brands of multivitamins and the Wal-Mart knock-off brand (Equate).

I also read up on what doctors themselves take. Result: virtually all doctors take a multivitamin and nothing else unless they have certain medical issues.

Myself, I take a cheapy Wal-Mart Equate, an additional 1000 i.u. Vitamin D pill, and a flax seed oil pill every morning. There is really nothing else you need, unless you are interested in fish oil.

There is a huge supplement "fountain of youth" industry in the US and it is largely selling snake oil.

Thanks, that certainly lines up with my experience - i.e., no real differences amongst them, but need one to make up dietary deficits.

I do multi, flax, fish oil. Don't bother with D as I figure I get enough from sun and milk.

Hate to sound like a troll, but I always have been advocating just a regular diet.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/11...amin-use/#

Turns out that daily multivitamins can do a lot more harm than good, or no good at all. Maybe it would be a good idea to save your money on supplements and spend it on rubbers instead.

Have used Animal Pak in the past and felt amazing...kind of a pain in the ass to take all 11 pills though. - It's been a top seller for many many years, people swear by it.

Been using ON Opti-Men as of late - reputable brand and priced right.

I have not tried any form of Mult from any non main stream supplement brand, so I can't comment on that

Some guys will say take any multi.

That's like saying, "Game doesn't work."

The're website that is to life extension what RooshV is to travel and game. http://www.longecity.org/forum/

There is so much nerding out about multi-vitamins...There's no way I could become an authority like those guys are.

The super nerds over there recommend AOR Orthocore.

When I have it in my budget, I use AOR.

The best price I've seen is $54 a bottle.
http://www.iherb.com/Advanced-Orthomolec...ules/33670

(I have a coupon that will save you $10 and get you free shipping. PM if you want it.)

I usually buy that and take half the recommended dosage. So it's $27 most months.

During the winter when flu is going around, I take the full dosage.

I just started using GNC. $15 for 45 days supply.

I'm no expert on MV but I like the chewable gummies. I already am a big fan of gummy bears so its easy to mindlessly chump 10-20 a day (serving is 6). Be careful obviously as a few MVs can be overdosed (Vitamin A and Iron come to mind).

I "Smarty Pants". Its a normal gum-dropped shaped multivitamin that also has vitamin D and omega 3s. I'm not sure its enough omega 3 however, but its probably better than nothing. Serving size was 6 and a believe like 20 or 50 cals (so that's a downside).

Arguments against multivitamins usually stem from the fact that most multi vitamins are manufactured around chemical compounds and when consumed our bodies either do not recognize the compounds or are only partially absorbed.

I also believe that a well rounded diet is more important than a multi vitamin. Multi vitamins offer a good insurance policy, however, to cover the gaps in your nutritional profile.

I have consumed a lot of different multi vitamins and I have been impressed with Vitamin Code for Men. I have been taking these daily for quite some time.

Cost breakdown is roughly $30/month or $1/day. The manufacturer uses vegetables and fruits to create the vitamins so the body recognizes them and is able to use and absorb them. I have tried Centrum, Equate brand mulit-vitamins, Alive!, and a few others. Vitamin Code for Men, however, is what I take daily.

Quote: (04-04-2012 11:18 PM)Hades Wrote:  

Turns out that daily multivitamins can do a lot more harm than good, or no good at all.
Dammit. Just when I figured I'd never have to waste another minute thinking about vitamins.

Quote: (04-05-2012 12:16 AM)MikeCF Wrote:  

The're website that is to life extension what RooshV is to travel and game. http://www.longecity.org/forum/

There is so much nerding out about multi-vitamins...There's no way I could become an authority like those guys are.
I was aware these sites existed, but I've avoided them to prevent my head from exploding.

I've been taking a multivitamin for 3 months. I started because I wasn't getting enough sunlight in Europe and was feeling tired and moody.

There was an initial positive effect that has worn out even though there is more sun out now. I think it was a placebo effect. I don't feel any better or energetic and am considering stopping when my current box runs out. For next winter I will just get a therapy lamp.

The only change I've noticed is that I can drink a lot more than before because of the B vitamins.

I want to believe that vitamins help, but to think we can compensate for not eating a balanced diet by popping a vitamin may be wishful thinking.

"From the earth" is my fave multi. Its always good to go with natural plant based vitamins over synthetics. 1tbs of Unsulphered black strap molasses in warm water if one of my fave supps though. It gives me great energy and great skin color. GL

Quote: (04-05-2012 01:14 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

I've been taking a multivitamin for 3 months. I started because I wasn't getting enough sunlight in Europe and was feeling tired and moody.

There was an initial positive effect that has worn out even though there is more sun out now. I think it was a placebo effect. I don't feel any better or energetic and am considering stopping when my current box runs out. For next winter I will just get a therapy lamp.

The only change I've noticed is that I can drink a lot more than before because of the B vitamins.

I want to believe that vitamins help, but to think we can compensate for not eating a balanced diet by popping a vitamin may be wishful thinking.

Vitamins don't make you feel anything. The effects are subtle.

Longer telomeres = longer life.

Multi-vitamins (for unknown reasons) help keep telomeres longer:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19279081

Promising study, but it doesn't say that vitamins will prolong life.

Quote:Quote:

Telomere length may be a marker of biological aging

The negative effects of vitamins may very well counteract any benefit to telomere length. I think taking vitamins will probably end up having a slight beneficial effect. My guess is your juicing will have a more beneficial effect than taking vitamins.

Vitamins will never replace a healthy diet. An apple contains thousands of healty and important substances that pills don't.

I would avoid a multivitamin that has more than 100% RDA of any specific vitamin and nutrient. Especially in terms of the B vitamins, some multivitamins go way over the top. I saw one which had 1000% of the RDA of B12. That's like saying your car will work better only if you fill up your fuel tank and also splash fuel on your back seats and front seats. Your body can only use so much vitamin to fuel its metabolism at a time, so why overload it with ridiculous amounts? It only ends up being junk the body has to excrete/metabolise, and if it can't cope you end up with vitamin poisoning. I don't see the point of developing hypervitaminosis.

The most rational multivitamin I've encountered is the multi-v vitamin water. Only 25% RDA of several vitamins, which is more than enough if you are merely supplementing some small gaps in your diet. If you take a pill with 100% RDA then you are no longer supplementing, you are replacing.

Quote: (04-05-2012 04:30 PM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I would avoid a multivitamin that has more than 100% RDA of any specific vitamin and nutrient. Especially in terms of the B vitamins, some multivitamins go way over the top. I saw one which had 1000% of the RDA of B12. That's like saying your car will work better only if you fill up your fuel tank and also splash fuel on your back seats and front seats. Your body can only use so much vitamin to fuel its metabolism at a time, so why overload it with ridiculous amounts? It only ends up being junk the body has to excrete/metabolise, and if it can't cope you end up with vitamin poisoning. I don't see the point of developing hypervitaminosis.

The most rational multivitamin I've encountered is the multi-v vitamin water. Only 25% RDA of several vitamins, which is more than enough if you are merely supplementing some small gaps in your diet. If you take a pill with 100% RDA then you are no longer supplementing, you are replacing.

This isn't necessarily true. Some of the positive effects of B-Complex can't be had without these higher doses (energy/anti-hangover). I surmise that the FDA made the RDA for these vitamins several decades ago and they may need to be revised.

E.g. if every time you see B-12 in a supplement or drink and its effective dose is 1000% RDA. Maybe its the RDA that needs revision!

Vitamin water is sugar water my dude. Avoid if possible.

Your entire post presupposes that the government (the source of RDA) has the competence to create standards for nutrition.

You should take a look into the Food Pyramid (scheme) and then ask yourself: "Why would I trust the RDA?"

Quote: (04-05-2012 01:45 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

Promising study, but it doesn't say that vitamins will prolong life.

Quote:Quote:

Telomere length may be a marker of biological aging

The negative effects of vitamins may very well counteract any benefit to telomere length. I think taking vitamins will probably end up having a slight beneficial effect. My guess is your juicing will have a more beneficial effect than taking vitamins.

No one knows what aging is yet, but there's something to telomere length:

"Shortening Telomeres Linked To Aging In Population Studies, But Original Telomere Length Varies Between Individuals"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...115136.htm

Juicing is way better than taking multi-vitamins, because of the phytonutriets in foods. Take carrots, for example, which is way more than the Vitamin A in a pill:

"Much of the research on carrots has traditionally focused on carotenoids and their important antioxidant benefits. After all, carrots (along with pumpkin and spinach) rank high on the list of all commonly-consumed U.S. antioxidant vegetables in terms of their beta-carotene content. But recent research has turned the health spotlight onto another category of phytonutrients in carrots called polyacetylenes. In carrots, the most important polyacetylenes include falcarinol and falcarindiol. Several recent studies have identified these carrot polyacetylenes as phytonutrients that can help inhibit the growth of colon cancer cells, especially when these polyacetylenes are found in their reduced (versus oxidized) form. These new findings are exciting because they suggest a key interaction between the carotenoids and polyacetylenes in carrots. Apparently, the rich carotenoid content of carrots not only helps prevent oxidative damage inside our body, but it may also help prevent oxidative damage to the carrot polyacetylenes. In other words, these two amazing groups of phytonutrients in carrots may work together in a synergistic way to maximize our health benefits!"

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname...ce&dbid=21

So fresh foods are way better, but given how most guys (and this is an indictment of myself - though I ate "clean," I didn't eat many veggies or fruits), a multi is better than nothing.

I prefer more bioavailable micronutrients ("vitamins") that come naturally -- I eat plenty of organ meats (offal), get at least 1 hour a day of sunlight (frisbee, paddleboarding, etc), and eat healthy saturated fats (grass-fed ruminants) and my doctor says I'm his healthiest customer.

Quote: (04-05-2012 07:43 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Your entire post presupposes that the government (the source of RDA) has the competence to create standards for nutrition.

You should take a look into the Food Pyramid (scheme) and then ask yourself: "Why would I trust the RDA?"

This is a great point. Does anyone know what data the government uses to develop the RDA?

Let's continue the discussion. I've taken one a days, with no noticeable results. A couple years ago I picked up a box from the PX in the ME, that was packaged in 5-6 pills per pack. I did see a big difference in those, but can't remember the damn name now. They were cheap. I am looking for another and found a resource:

http://www.multivitaminguide.org/best-mu...r-men.html

Not sure as to the credibility, but it's a start. I've also seen a difference with liquid vitamins, but they are a pain in the ass to keep up with while traveling.

Thoughts?

Im reading a lot of really bad comments in here but I don't have much credibility as of late so I am just going to say that AOR and Opti-men are 2 great choices that were mentioned in this thread. Orange Triad with joint relief is probably the best one but is pricey. Animal pak one is pricey as well and is probably the most over rated multi on the market. Some animal products are good though.

As far as "no multi beats a proper diet" comment well that isn't true. Vitamins and minerals are the same no matter how you get them. Try getting the exact calories protein fat and carb macros you need in 1 day and getting all the vitamin and minerals perfect for that day as well. Impossible. You piss out extras your multi will give you. There are some vitamins that cause an imbalance and can be harmful but saying that "any multi that has over 100% of daily value is bad" is just ridiculous. The zinc/copper effect is a big one that was already covered in another thread.

I take NOW multivitamin. I did some research before I decided to take them, and from what I read, they are the best considering their low price.