rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is engineering a good career for meeting my kind of girls

im in college and i have to pick a major soon. im good at maths and science, but most of the kind fo girls i like (caucasian) are in other subjects like english. im good at writing, but i think my it would be better for my career to pick engineering or computers especially because of the ecnomy. my parents are also pressuring me hard to go into one of those areas and are threatening to not pay for college if i pick something else.

what do you guys think? do engineers land hot girls? will my status impress them. engineers make good money and have high positions in my state.

The number 1 major to get HOT chics in college is...............................

FRATERNITY

Yes, in fact, women are incredibly turned on by engineers. I was writing my own Linux kernel this one time, during lunch break on the steps by campus. I felt something drip on my shoulder. I looked up, it turned out to be this girl who was so wet from watching me that it actually dripped on my shoulder.

This other time, I was explaining a very specific Magic: The Gathering rule to an aspiring Level 1 DCI judge (If you must know, I was explaining how costs are paid before targets are selected, making it impossible to sacrifice a creature while targeting itself) and a girl next to me just grabbed me and started making out with me. Got laid that night.

So, yeah, engineering is the way to go.

16 Countries in Under 2 Years and Counting - How I Fund My Travels: http://www.EarnOnTheRoad.com

With an Engineering undergrad, you can really go into any career you want to. Once you graduate, you don't have to do anything remotely engineering related if you do not feel like it. An Engineering undergrad degree is attractive because a) its rigorous and everyone knows this, and b) it teaches you a specific way of thinking and solving problems. I know people who majored in engineering for their undergrad and went on to med school, people who went in to patent law (this guy makes SERIOUS money), people who work in finance w/ just that undergrad, and people who are actual engineers. Really, you can do whatever you want.

But more importantly, you shouldn't base your career on whether or not girls are going to find it attractive, or whether or not your parents agree with it. Do whatever you think is going to be smarter for you financially and happiness wise in 10 years, 20 years down the road.

Troll

I'm actually starting to think he's legit.

An authentic big-time loser.

I don't know where engineers are considered high status. They have above-average incomes, but that's... about ... it.

I'm an engineer and I land hot girls. It's not from my paycheck or wow factor of my job I'll tell you that much. It's from my sharp wit and charming personality. Being an engineer you're required to learn new things daily and always be on top of your game or you'll get phased out career-wise. This forces you to be super motivated and have total recall of many complicated concepts at once. If you're looking to meet girls at work as an engineer forget it. Engineering is one big sausage party. But I have had girls tell them they've gotten turned on when they hear me talk shop with other techy types. Chicks dig smart dudes in general. I've gotten laid just for fixing and jailbreaking iPhones. All the women in my school were business majors.

Team Nachos

You should be the kind of engineer that drives a train. You'd get all kinds of hobo pussy in the boxcars.

You'd get to travel all over riding the rails.

I used to hang out with some guys that were working on the railroad. They all had stories about ramming cars that tried to beat them.

Aloha!

I'm an engineer but my job is not what defines who I am.

It's just something that lands me a pretty sweet paycheck (with a bunch of paid travel thrown in) in the hours when I do not live my life. From what I understand engineers are somewhat looked down upon in the US whereas in Europe or Asia they make up most of the corporate infrastructure all the way to the executive suite. I have a theory on this but its for another thread.

And speaking of hours, that's a 40h work week. Not a soul crushing 12h-work, 8h-sleep cycle.

Quote: (04-02-2012 12:43 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

It's just something that lands me a pretty sweet paycheck (with a bunch of paid travel thrown in) in the hours when I do not live my life. From what I understand engineers are somewhat looked down upon in the US whereas in Europe or Asia they make up most of the corporate infrastructure all the way to the executive suite. I have a theory on this but its for another thread.

And speaking of hours, that's a 40h work week. Not a soul crushing 12h-work, 8h-sleep cycle.

+1

Another Engineer here.

Whilst it may not be deemed glamorous to some and in certain cultures, I love the fact that I get paid as much as lawyers, doctors, brokers etc yet when you pro rata back the hours they are required to put in, they might as well be working as the secretaries they employ.

Furthermore, as someone stated earlier, you can branch off into many industries and specializations. I am involved in Project Management and love it.

Quote: (04-02-2012 12:43 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

Yeah, I find that engineers aren't really given the same respect and prestige that a lawyer or doctor gets, and its looked at as a boring job.

If I was good at math and science and enjoyed it I would go into that career in a flash. Its for sure one of the most valuable skillsets you can have. Lots of guys in this forum have engineering degrees and they all seem to be in demand.

Its a good way to ensure your paper is straight after college. I've never had an issue finding work. A lot of degrees aren't worth a lot in different countries, but an engineer is an engineer worldwide.

Try and study a language in school too. You'll break up your schedule of sausage-fests with a more diverse crowd and gain a crucial skill. Whatever you do, make sure you branch out a ton and hang out with only a select few of your fellow engineers. Don't be a dick about it.

I'm not the least bit embarrassed about being an engineer. After graduation watch how quick girls go from scrunching their noses to dilating their pupils when they find out how much you make (secondhand, of course). If you're well rounded it is only a plus. Don't plan on banging coworkers though.

I read on this forum that grad school loans no longer have deferred interest. If so, a 4-year engineering degree just became a lot more valuable.

[Image: 3678944_460s.jpg]

16 Countries in Under 2 Years and Counting - How I Fund My Travels: http://www.EarnOnTheRoad.com

In universities, hot girls tend towards non engineering degrees. But picking a degree based on the amount of hot pussy in your class is a dumb move. And as stated above, engineers are in demand worldwide.

Two separate issues here, pussy and money.
As for pussy, in a college environment, you can find it easily.
Think like Bruce Lee - "you put water into the cup, it becomes the cup."

For money, you might want to do something other than engineering.
I highly suggest you do something entrepreneurial during your four years of college. Make a product, advertise a service that other people will provide to your customers, etc. Doing this twice, even if it is a total failure, will teach you more than 2 years of business school. It has never been cheaper or easier to start a location independent business in which everything is outsourced.

Want to make a quick buck without doing shit? Get in touch with some local nightclubs that are popular with your university community. Tell them you want to promote a party. Then go to 99designs.com. Outsource the creation of a theme, design, logo, and ad copy for a party flier. This should cost no more than a few hundred. Then use social networking and post them everywhere. Even better is to hire some hot women to pass them out for 20 bucks an hour. This will create a big vibe and get a good response. It also gives you a side benefit of social proof for pussy.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO FAIL. Failure teaches you a ton. This applies to both game and life.

p.s. Everything you learn in a 4 years engineering course you could teach yourself in a year and a half at most. The amount of time wasted and the inefficiency of academia is increible.

Quote: (04-02-2012 10:15 AM)Keyser Söze Wrote:  

p.s. Everything you learn in a 4 years engineering course you could teach yourself in a year and a half at most. The amount of time wasted and the inefficiency of academia is increible.

Not quite. Whether or not everything you learn in a 4 year engineering course is necessary to be an engineer is debatable, but you certainly cannot finish a curriculum of a solid engineering school in 1.5 years.

Quote: (04-01-2012 08:17 PM)troglodyte Wrote:  

im in college and i have to pick a major soon. im good at maths and science, but most of the kind fo girls i like (caucasian) are in other subjects like english.im good at writing, but i think my it would be better for my career to pick engineering or computers especially because of the ecnomy. my parents are also pressuring me hard to go into one of those areas and are threatening to not pay for college if i pick something else.

what do you guys think? do engineers land hot girls? will my status impress them. engineers make good money and have high positions in my state.

Come again?

Quote: (04-02-2012 11:00 AM)Blunt Wrote:  

Not quite. Whether or not everything you learn in a 4 year engineering course is necessary to be an engineer is debatable, but you certainly cannot finish a curriculum of a solid engineering school in 1.5 years.

I disagree. If you are engaged in serious self study, 6 hours or more per day, and you are reasonably clever, then you can. Eliminate all of the time waste of traveling to and from classes, the distractions of a bunch of silly clubs and fraternities, winter summer spring breaks, and 4 years shrinks dramatically. I don't know if I will ever forgive my parents for forcing me to waste years of my life in high school. I could have easily finished 3 or more years early, but they listened to some jackass doctor who said it would retard my social development. Didn't quite work that way, I just had to waste time around a bunch of slow dolts I had absolutely no respect for.

Sure you could do it in 1.5 years. But you would have to employ enormous discipline and how would you structure it, and get feedback? In addition you won't receive a degree which pretty much forces you to go the way of the entrepreneur. All my respect if you make it that way but if you don't... That's one of the biggest assets of that engineering degree, it pretty much guarantees that you will never really have a hard time finding work - no matter where you are in the world.

Quote: (04-02-2012 11:19 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

Sure you could do it in 1.5 years. But you would have to employ enormous discipline and how would you structure it, and get feedback? In addition you won't receive a degree which pretty much forces you to go the way of the entrepreneur. All my respect if you make it that way but if you don't... That's one of the biggest assets of that engineering degree, it pretty much guarantees that you will never really have a hard time finding work - no matter where you are in the world.

You raise some great points. It would take some serious discipline and effort, but being unconveniential is a must if you want to escape the confines of a predictable beta existence.
Also, getting an engineering degree is not a guarantor of success, and it takes a large investment of time and money.
And if you are successful, your reward is 60 hour weeks making someone else rich, while you spend your days surrounded by socially inept and unpleasant people.

I too was an engineer. Looks like there are a lot of us running around on this board!

As far as girls go, I agree with everyone's input above: there won't be many in your classes, but you shouldn't be choosing a major based on the girls in your classes anyway. You should be developing skills and creating a basic foundation for the success in life that will allow you access to all the girls you want.

Most girls at my college majored in PR/Advertising/Psychology/Marketing or other related liberal arts majors. I would not recommend these majors at all, in today's economy and especially in what will likely be tomorrow's economy.

I studied electrical engineering. I would recommend that you do the same (or computer engineering/computer science/etc). Very employable and establishes a great foundation for future flexibility. Patent law is a high paying option for down the road, but if you could land a programming role in a major tech. company you could be set for life.

As for the women: read this board brother. Put this shit into action. Join a nice fraternity or get involved with shit on campus for easy access to girls, or start the learning process and head out to the clubs, coffee shops, and the local quad. Consider this an integral part of your holistic, real world education.

Quote: (04-02-2012 11:32 AM)Keyser Söze Wrote:  

You raise some great points. It would take some serious discipline and effort, but being unconveniential is a must if you want to escape the confines of a predictable beta existence.
Also, getting an engineering degree is not a guarantor of success, and it takes a large investment of time and money.
And if you are successful, your reward is 60 hour weeks making someone else rich, while you spend your days surrounded by socially inept and unpleasant people.

Yes, I'm sure some snowflakes such as yourself could manage to do it.

You are arguing that 'silly clubs', 'fraternities', 'spring/summer breaks' are a waste of time, while at the same you lament the '60 hour' work weeks that engineers are forced to work? [Image: dodgy.gif]

I'm currently abroad, but when I worked as an engineer I was never required to put in more than 45-50 hours and that wasn't every week, and I got paid overtime.

I don't disagree that working your whole life for a boss is a sucker's game, but an engineering degree is one of the few degrees that still means something.

Having the ability to get a job is a good thing. Learning to manage teams is a good thing. Learning to deal with people who think they're (or actually are) smarter than you is a good thing.

No one says you can't be an entrepreneur while in school. For someone with time management skills like yourself it would be a breeze.

Quote: (04-02-2012 12:24 PM)Blunt Wrote:  

Quote: (04-02-2012 11:32 AM)Keyser Söze Wrote:  

Yes, I'm sure some snowflakes such as yourself could manage to do it.

You are arguing that 'silly clubs', 'fraternities', 'spring/summer breaks' are a waste of time, while at the same you lament the '60 hour' work weeks that engineers are forced to work? [Image: dodgy.gif]

I'm currently abroad, but when I worked as an engineer I was never required to put in more than 45-50 hours and that wasn't every week, and I got paid overtime.

I don't disagree that working your whole life for a boss is a sucker's game, but an engineering degree is one of the few degrees that still means something.

Having the ability to get a job is a good thing. Learning to manage teams is a good thing. Learning to deal with people who think they're (or actually are) smarter than you is a good thing.

No one says you can't be an entrepreneur while in school. For someone with time management skills like yourself it would be a breeze.

You do make some good points, but it would be easier to discuss them with you if you dropped the passive aggressive atttempts to bait me.

Since I assume 'your kind of girls' isn't 'men', then no - it's not a good career for that.

It's straight up silliness picking a major based off the number of attractive women in the field.

I'm an engineer as well. Its easily one of the most flexible and employable degrees out there, especially the common ones such as ME, EE, and Computer. My job has very little to do with engineering (though its required) and it pays very well.

What you do with your degree will be up to you. If you're intelligent and want something bad enough you will make it happen. An engineering degree is an absolutely solid foundation for many careers. Anybody who tells you otherwise isn't looking at the facts.

My engineering classes were absolutely devoid of any talent. The 10% of girls who were engineers might as well have been men as they were not attractive at all. My current job situation (before I worked from my own bedroom) there was also a very low number of attractive women.

The one relevant thing I can say about most engineering jobs is you will not have many opportunities to socialize, or work in teams with the opposite sex. Maybe sales engineers have more opportunities? This really shouldn't matter though.

I too was all on the Patent Law bug, but decided it wasn't worth it. I may make 75% of what they make (Patent Attorneys), but I also only work 50% of their time, with much less stress. If you can find a job that pays the bills (preferably well) and doesn't stress you out (or even better you like doing your work), that to me is a solid life foundation: Pays the bills, doesn't have a negative impact on your life.

All of your other time not working can be for self-improvement, fun, and picking up the ladies.