rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Teenagers Now Texting 60 Times a Day

http://mobile.slate.com/blogs/trending/2...study.html

If you think the teenagers in your life are texting a lot, you’ve now got some scientific proof to support your claims.

According to a new report by the Pew Research Center, the average teen texts a whopping 60 times per day. Nearly two-thirds of teenagers interviewed said they texted with friends every day—almost once every 15 minutes they were awake. So parents are likely yelling, “get off the phone” much less often—only 29 percent of the 799 kids interviewed said they talk to friends on the phone every day. Instant messaging is also on the decline.

Other trends shown by the study included a significant increase in teens using smartphones, and a jump in the number of texts sent by black teenagers. Parents, maybe its time to adjust your phone plans: bring the minutes down and the monthly texts way, way up.

Team Nachos

Quote: (03-21-2012 12:12 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Other trends shown by the study included a significant increase in teens using smartphones, and a jump in the number of texts sent by black teenagers. Parents, maybe its time to adjust your phone plans: bring the minutes down and the monthly texts way, way up.

Crazy statistic, man. We're living in strange times, that's for sure. Imagine if you practiced writing like this 60 times a day: "plz! r u srly gun make me wt?" No wonder young people are illiterate. There are a few (newb) examples here at the RVF that have raised my eyebrows too.

I upped my text plan to the unlimited a few months ago and rarely use more than 25 percent of my total minutes per month. I'm part of the problem, I guess. But as they say: adapt or die.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

It should include teenagers who are "in a relationship" too. I know guys who sent over 100 text messages to their girlfriends every DAY. From the time they wake up till midnight....Such a waste of precious money.

About the smart phones. They seem very fragile. The end

wouldnt be surprised if the typical hot teenage girl is getting texted every 15 minutes by one of her beta orbiters. the number one game principle to apply to combat this is to escalate hard and fast any chance you get because the odds are you probably wont capture her attention again if you dont

Quote: (03-21-2012 12:23 PM)lurker123123 Wrote:  

wouldnt be surprised if the typical hot teenage girl is getting texted every 15 minutes by one of her beta orbiters. the number one game principle to apply to combat this is to escalate hard and fast any chance you get because the odds are you probably wont capture her attention again if you dont

This is just further proof that you need to have your text game tight as a drum. This doesn't just apply to underage teenagers, in my observation. It's also young adults (18-24) doing this shit.

If you have great game elsewhere, but your text game is shit, it's like having a slow leak in one of the tires of your nice ride.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

While it's crazy, I was actually expecting the number to be even greater, perhaps as high as 200.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Naturally, the media is way behind on a particular trend. Any parent of a kid that has a phone could have told you this YEARS ago (actually, there have been many articles about his over the years). Parents have had to take phones away, or severely limit and monitor phone use because kids were blowing up the texting plans. In Europe, texting has been one of the primary modes of communication for years, but the US is catching up quickly. We've discussed in other threads how women don't even pick up their phones anymore when you call - they simply reply with a text, and whole conversations are had that way.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Quote: (03-21-2012 12:28 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Quote: (03-21-2012 12:23 PM)lurker123123 Wrote:  

This is just further proof that you need to have your text game tight as a drum. This doesn't just apply to underage teenagers, in my observation. It's also young adults (18-24) doing this shit.

If you have great game elsewhere, but your text game is shit, it's like having a slow leak in one of the tires of your nice ride.

Spot on Tuth.

My text game is actually much tighter than regular game as I use it a lot more.

I was one of the last ones to get a smart phone. Everyone around me had one and i said it a waste of money and un necessary. I want to go back to a good ol flip phone, but I access this forum 75% of the time from this mini computer. That's probably the only thing holding me back.

LMAO at that Mista Marcus guy Tuth hahaha.

When I was young, instant messaging was the craze, so really this is not a new form of communication. But when it was on the computer, you had to physically be there to use it.

With texting, the messages are spread out, constantly interrupting you. My concern with texting in youth is that it prevents real concentration, and primes them to need interruptions to feel normal or happy. We already see this in dating young women who instinctively look at their phones every so often, even when it doesn't make a noise. It's not so much a problem in EE, but I think we all have experiences of women leaving their phone on the table, as if they are expecting an emergency call.

The new generation will not be losing themselves in the moment.

Quote: (03-21-2012 12:19 PM)Andreas Wrote:  

It should include teenagers who are "in a relationship" too. I know guys who sent over 100 text messages to their girlfriends every DAY. From the time they wake up till midnight....Such a waste of precious money.

About the smart phones. They seem very fragile. The end

I know a guy like this, he literally texts his girlfriend at all times. Whenever we hangout he texts every few minutes.

My plan is 1500 texts per month for $15. $20 gets me unlimited texts.
My iPhone data plan is grandfathered in for unlimited data.

It's funny how the phone part of cellphones is rarely used anymore.

Team Nachos

For whatever reason, every study that would show girls in a bad light, hides the sex split.

I looked through the thing, basically girls text more than guys. And the top 18% of teens text a shittload more (+200). Unfortunately, the study doesn't show the % of girls within the top 18% but I assume they are like ~80% of that.

Breaking it down between girls and boys:
50 texts per day for boys
100 texts per day for girls

Texting behaviour has 3 big groups, low-texters (0-10), avg (21 to 100) and high texters (+200).

The data also confirms our belief that texting is canibalizing both instant message and phone conversations.

If we assume options increase up until 26 and texting along with it, then a hot women will likely be getting over 200 texts at the least but highly likely she's getting more than that.

TL;DL
Get good at dealing with texting.

Actually, one of my internationals turned me on to Whatsapp (http://www.whatsapp.com), which allows you to text/IM anyone in the world for free. Download it to your phone, and message away!

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

*Shocked by number of texts sent each day.*

*Calculates average number of posts to RooshVForum each day.*

*Steps outside of thread.*

Quote:Quote:

*Calculates average number of posts to RooshVForum each day.*

About 500, give or take.

It would take only 8 teenagers to hit that daily frequency. My dashboard says that there are 350 active users (logged in at least once in the past week, I think).

Old people are always slow to accept changes in technology and society. Every generation says that the "new generation" is lazy, stupid, or less productive then they were.

Well, thats because we have new inventions, machines, and technologies to do the work for us!!!

I think its really stupid.

I mean, when the wheel was invented, I bet alot of old people said...

Why are these young people using wheels? Why can't they just carry everything on their backs like we did!

Or running water..

Why do these kids need running water? Why can't they just walk down to the river every morning like we did!

Or email..

Why don't people write letters anymore. These kids are getting stupid!

Or bicycles..

These kids are so lazy. Why can't they walk like we did?

Or phones..

This kids don't have any face to face interaction! This is making them less human!

My grandpa used to say...When I was your age I used to walk 5 miles to school everyday..

That's because cars had not been invented yet!!!

My mom said when Elvis and The Beatles first came out. Old people said they were evil. They said "rock and roll" was going to destroy society!

If we never evolved, changed, or adapted, we would continue to live by the same strategies, technologies, beliefs, and attitudes as the generations before us, we would never get anywhere. We would be stuck in the past.

Let these kids explore, evolve, invent shit, try new shit, think differently and change the world. Don't be an old geezer complaining about how your generation was better. Your generation is gonna die and those kids will inherit the world.

If it was invented before you were 30, it's cool. After 30, it's going to ruin the world.

Still, I think the case can be made that this newer technology is destroying attention spans. Not saying society will collapse, but it does hurt deeper communication.

You know ... I had a girl invite me over once when she broke up with her boyfriend. We're watching a movie and making out on the couch. She kept stopping to reply to texts. I had to yell at her. "Enough with the fucking phone already. TURN IT OFF!!" She did it. They love when you get tough with them.

Team Nachos

I think we constantly have to learn how to manage new technologies. The computer age/technology age in general has changed the way we live and interact, and some of that has been negative. Videogames have brought more young people (and adults) indoors and made us less active. Many of us DO talk less, but I don't think it has impacted people actually spending time in person as much as some may want to think. Parents need to step in and limit computer/tv time, put a ball in their kid's hand, and kick him out into the street. If your kid is texting too much, take his/her phone, or lay down some guidelines. MANAGE better. Seeing people out socializing, yet always having their phones in their hands or laying right next to them and constantly looking at them is definitely not a positive. A chick taking it doggiestyle while checking her phone is a problem. Folks definitely need to learn to go a while without feeling the need to check their phone out of fear they're missing something. They usually aren't.

I've always enjoyed writing. I recently wrote a letter to one of my internationals in Germany. We were chatting one night, and I was sending her mp3s over yahoo chat, and she sent me her address and asked me to write her a love letter (I wrote her a letter, but it wasn't a "love" letter because I'm not in love with her. But I do want to fuck her though...HA HA). After about a month I wrote her one. She couldn't have been more thrilled to get it. I've always been a letter writer. I actually write with a fountain pen (I got turned on to them in high school, and I've written with them ever since). I was happy for the opportunity to actually write someone in my own hand and put it in the mail. I had gotten away from it, but that's my fault. This particular person gave me a new reason to pull out the pen and stationery. I LOVE the internet and technology, and what I can do with it. The internet has opened the world to me. But there's still nothing stopping me from writing a letter and mailing it. It not as if the person receiving it will send it back unopened and demand I email them instead.

Quote: (03-21-2012 04:34 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

If it was invented before you were 30, it's cool. After 30, it's going to ruin the world.

Still, I think the case can be made that this newer technology is destroying attention spans. Not saying society will collapse, but it does hurt deeper communication.

It certainly hurts my own.

I used to do a lot of texting while at the gym. In fact, that was when I'd do 75% of my daily texting.

Now I lock my phone in one of those small, add-a-quarter lockers.

My workouts (shocker) have improved substantially.

I am on a 250 text a month plan, which means the average teen would be over the limit in less than 5 days.
The girls I call always seem so surprised when I do. One even said she only used the phone feature of her iPhone when her parents or relatives call.

Quote: (03-21-2012 05:38 PM)BHirsch Wrote:  

I am on a 250 text a month plan, which means the average teen would be over the limit in less than 5 days.
The girls I call always seem so surprised when I do. One even said she only used the phone feature of her iPhone when her parents or relatives call.

"Phone Feature"

Geez, what is the world coming to... Now I understand why the older cats feel like they often do when it comes to technology.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

Quote: (03-21-2012 05:48 PM)Gmac Wrote:  

Quote: (03-21-2012 05:38 PM)BHirsch Wrote:  

"Phone Feature"

Geez, what is the world coming to... Now I understand why the older cats feel like they often do when it comes to technology.

Suddenly when a girl says "Add me on Facebook" it doesn't feel like as much of a blow off.

Team Nachos

I lose more rollover minutes than I use actual minutes. Serial texter but less than 60 minutes on personal cell phone.