rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

RVF Book Club - Vote for Round 0

Ok guys, for those who have missed it there has been some talk here about getting a book club off the ground. Rather than endlessly debating how to run this thing, lets just give it a shot and then fine tune the thing down the track - Ready, Fire, Aim style. So this round or month will be round 0, a trial.

I've taken a book suggestion from each member who kicked in on the planning thread that will hopefully be of interest to all and widely available.

Lets look at this rounds contenders, in order they were suggested:

1. Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain. Book was suggested by ?Kick and also strongly recommend by Roosh here. 312 pages.
Amazon description: "A deliciously funny, delectably shocking banquet of wild-but-true tales of life in the culinary trade from Chef Anthony Bourdain, laying out his more than a quarter-century of drugs, sex, and haute cuisine".

2. Games People Play: The Psychology of Human Relationships by Eric Berne. Book was suggested by me, based on several strong recommendations on Ricky Raw's blog Rawness, including here. 173 pages.
Amazon description: "The most accessible and insightful book ever written about the games we play: those patterns of behaviour that reveal hidden feelings and emotions. Wise and witty, it shows the underlying motivations behind our relationships and gives you the keys to unlock the psychology of others - and yourself. You'll become more honest, more effective, and a true team player."

3. Youth in Revolt: The Journals of Nick Twisp by C.D. Payne. The book was recommended by AntiTrace, who ensures us it is much better than the mediocre Michael Cera movie it spawned and said it was "...a book that heavily influenced my teenage years. They made a movie about it a couple years back, it was ok but it only covered the first 1/3 of the book. I recommend you guys check it out too, its long but its a fun read. Ive re read three times throughout my life, and I am not a reader. The kid in book grows to become a legit G." 498 pages.
Amazon description: "This is the story of a precocious 14-year-old who reveals his struggles with the life, love, and libido of adolescence through his excruciatingly long and detailed journal. Bored by his mind-numbing high school and bewildered by the escapades of his wacky, divorced parents, Nick and his pals turn their attentions to the mysterious pursuit of true love and the quest for loss of virginity. Hormones rule. Nick's journal entries read like a cross between Holden Caulfield and Doogie Howser, or The Wonder Years with a dash of Philip Roth. There are a few truly funny scenes as Nick strives to outwit archrival Trent for the love of the brainy and beautiful Sheeni."

4. The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. The book was suggested by houston based on Roosh's recommendations describing it as "Required reading and future classic. If you haven’t read this book yet, why are you still alive?". It has also been recommended by Neil Strauss, Tucker Max and countless others. I read it quite a few years back and really enjoyed a gained a lot from it, would happily re-read. 452 pages.
Amazon description: "The laws cull their principles from many great schemers--and scheming instructors--throughout history, from Sun-Tzu to Talleyrand, from Casanova to con man Yellow Kid Weil. They are straightforward in their amoral simplicity: "Get others to do the work for you, but always take the credit," or "Discover each man's thumbscrew." Each chapter provides examples of the consequences of observance or transgression of the law, along with "keys to power," potential "reversals" (where the converse of the law might also be useful), and a single paragraph cleverly laid out to suggest an image (such as the aforementioned thumbscrew); the margins are filled with illustrative quotations. Practitioners of one-upmanship have been given a new, comprehensive training manual, as up-to-date as it is timeless."

5. Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel by Rolf Potts. RioNomad suggested this book, he described it as one of the 5 books "...that have influenced my life and helped me make it what it is." It is widely recommended to be the bible for travelers. I read it before traveling SE Asia and would gladly read again. 224 pages.
Amazon description: "Veteran vagabond Potts regales readers with his mantra: anyone with an adventurous spirit can achieve the feat of taking extended time off from work to experience the world. Potts tells how to negotiate time off from work, prepare for travel, and get the most out of your time on the road. Each chapter contains a profile of a famous proponent of vagabonding, quotes from everyday people with extensive travel experience, and a tip sheet of print and online sources for practical travel advice on topics such as airline tickets and accommodations as well as safety concerns."

6. 1984 by George Orwell. the chef made the call on this one, "...hands down the best book i've read in my entire life, nothing has really came close to it." A classic. Roosh has read it 3 times and calls Orwell a hero. 304 pages.
Amazon description: "Among the seminal texts of the 20th century, Nineteen Eighty-Four is a rare work that grows more haunting as its futuristic purgatory becomes more real. Published in 1949, the book offers political satirist George Orwell's nightmare vision of a totalitarian, bureaucratic world and one poor stiff's attempt to find individuality. The brilliance of the novel is Orwell's prescience of modern life--the ubiquity of television, the distortion of the language--and his ability to construct such a thorough version of hell. Required reading for students since it was published, it ranks among the most terrifying novels ever written."

7. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. johnw28 advocated reading books that give give an insight to countries you wish to explore, he suggested 4 authors to open your eyes to all things latin America, including Nobel Prizie winning Colombian Marquez. So here is one of Marquez's most famous works along with Love in the Time of Cholera. Checkout Roosh's thoughts here. 448 pages.
Amazon description: "The story follows 100 years in the life of Macondo, a village founded by José Arcadio Buendía and occupied by descendants. Then there are the women who struggle to remain grounded even as their menfolk build castles in the air. If it is possible for a novel to be highly comic and deeply tragic at the same time, then One Hundred Years of Solitude does the trick. Civil war rages throughout, hearts break, dreams shatter, and lives are lost, yet the effect is literary pentimento, with sorrow's outlines bleeding through the vibrant colors of García Márquez's magical realism.

8. Sex 3.0 by JJ Roberts (also buy here). naughtynomad recommended this by saying "The author gives a great historical account of sexual relationships, the sinister origins of marriage, and the current sexual marketplace post-civil rights and and post-feminism. With a liberal, cynical and humanist paradigm, the author explores how our conditioning and social environment pressures us to settle down in a "fenced" relationships, whilst denying our basic nature. The book clearly shows shows how "Marriage is normal, but not natural." This book makes you question everything you've ever learned about what relationships should be like, and ultimately offers a better alternative where love and nature, not traditional, triumphs." NN also gives more thoughts on his blog here. 266 pages.

Ok I think it is a good mix of books to choose from, vote up, hopefully we can declare a winner by Thursday (15th) and then we can get reading..

'I blew most of my money on fast cars, booze and women. The rest I squandered' - George Best

i'd vote for the 48 laws of power just because it's been a few months since i've read it, need to brush up on all of the laws again. i think it would also be fitting to see all of the interesting people on this board discussing their perspective on all of the laws.

another vote for 48 Laws

posters in the RVF book club thread have expressed interest in non-fiction books about self-improvement/enrichment and I'm interested in this as well. I think this might help with our game.

Great thread ! Once i finish my raw unedited version of my book, i will read some books to gain some new ideas and insights before starting on the editing. The thread can help me with that.

I think the guy who wrote book nr8 : Sex 3.0 also posted on this forum. Forgot his name.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Quote: (03-12-2012 06:52 AM)Neil Skywalker Wrote:  

Great thread ! Once i finish my raw unedited version of my book, i will read some books to gain some new ideas and insights before starting on the editing. The thread can help me with that.

I think the guy who wrote book nr8 : Sex 3.0 also posted on this forum. Forgot his name.

Neil: I highly recommend Stephen King's "On Writing" to help you out with your book. First part is his life story. Second Part gets to the goods of writing a book.

Quote: (03-12-2012 07:24 AM)Enfant_Terrible Wrote:  

Quote: (03-12-2012 06:52 AM)Neil Skywalker Wrote:  

Neil: I highly recommend Stephen King's "On Writing" to help you out with your book. First part is his life story. Second Part gets to the goods of writing a book.

Thanks that sounds like a good tip. I love his book and the way the yare written. I have a few other books on writing already but haven't start reading them yet. I want to finish all the raw stories first and then read the whole thing and start adding stuff and edit other stuff out. When that's finished i will have to find some one who edits out the bad grammar and the sometimes bad choice of words.
I had an American guy edit a travel story once when we took a long bus ride. I gave him my laptop when i finished writing. He edited it a bit and it looked so much better already. I will have to find an editor somewhere, a pro bono one and with some knowledge of game. Maybe on this forum.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

+1 for 48 laws of power. I already have it and have read it, but would some in depth discussion on it would be money.

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

For the record there is a group of people in the US who are breaking down the Sex 3.0 philosophy in their book club.

There is a thread about it here including how they are breaking it down :

http://sexthreepointzero.com/forum/showt...php?tid=26

I've got PDF's to a few of these books but i'll do a search for the rest of the list so that people who want to be apart of this can just download the one we start with from an attachment.

Quote:Quote:

4. The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. The book was suggested by houston based on Roosh's recommendations describing it as "Required reading and future classic. If you haven’t read this book yet, why are you still alive?". It has also been recommended by Neil Strauss, Tucker Max

Even though those two recommended it, don't let that discourage you, it is still a great book.

I am reading it now.

Sex 3.0 review here :

http://beijaflorbeyondthesunset.wordpres...w-sex-3-0/

I have a library with 6 million books in my backyard so I can pretty much read anything. I've been meaning to read 48 laws of power.

Voted for 48 Laws of Power. I see so much going on about it, I wanna see what it's all about.

Sex 3.0 sounds like an interesting read

Vagabonding is one of the books, which along the 4HWK have had a big impact on my decisions over the past few years. I also believe the Sex 3.0 is a very interesting one as it deals with pretty much with the topics of interest to us and our lifestyle.

they dont have 48 laws of power on Kindle dammit

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Chad, can you load a pdf on kindle?

48 laws of power is like reading little parables of sun tzu. It's good stuff, but gets old real quick when you try to read it cover to cover. Best read over time in bite-sized pieces. Pick it up, read a chapter and marinate on it for a few days.

I'm leaning toward kitchen confidential.

i've found that it's best to take notes when you actually try and read books like "the 48 laws of power" and "the 50th law." after every lesson or two i take a break and review my notes the day after and let it all soak in.

Quote: (03-12-2012 07:46 PM)Chad Daring Wrote:  

they dont have 48 laws of power on Kindle dammit

Quote: (03-12-2012 07:48 PM)Smitty Wrote:  

Chad, can you load a pdf on kindle?

guys download the PC or Mac version of the kindle

then download pdf version of the book from torrent sites

put pdf in whatever folder the kindle (for PC/Mac) puts the ebooks in

then sync with your device, see if that works.

I don't have a kindle but if it has a way to load pdfs I would look into it on the internet

ps. if you want to get the physical book, check your local public library to see if you can borrow it

edit:
Here's a link that might help
how to load shit on the kindle

edit 2:
You can also borrow kindle books from a library if they have the tech

you can read pdfs on kindles, just drag and drop it. you might have to turn the viewing perspective to horizontal though, easy enough.

How was the transition from paperback to Kindle? I feel like I never want to stop reading books in physical, I'm kinda oldschool.

Nice, over 30 voters so far, hopefully all can participate in some way. If we get to 50 votes before the poll ends on Thursday I think we can call it earlly, 48 Laws has a pretty decent lead.

Non-fiction definitely seems the popular option, of the three fiction works in the poll only 1984 has managed to grab any votes.

For those unsure of how to get files on to there kindle checkout this post I made that lays out a dead simple method. It is also pretty good at converting format so it can make some PDF's and word docs in to the proper kindle format. I don't know about reading PDF's on the new fires but I hate it on my kindle, converting is a must.

FretDancer, the kindle thing has been covered in a bunch of places, but simply it looks almost the same as reading a book (the screen is not like a computer screen so you can read all day without eye strain), read easily with one hand, carry hundreds of books with you everywhere all the time and they just make you read more. Almost everyone I show mine to is converted. Generally cheaper (prices for big 6 publishers books may come back down with this lawsuit involving them and apple) to buy kindle edition than physical. The only downside for me is not building my sweet library, I much prefer the experience of reading on a kindle however.

'I blew most of my money on fast cars, booze and women. The rest I squandered' - George Best

If you're trying to read a PDF version on the kindle, you should search for the EPUB version first. It is possible to read PDFs in the horizontal view but it can be a real pain. Calibre does a good job converting EPUB to MOBI (Kindle format).

Seeing as I have read the 48 Laws so many times, and that I am a culinary geek, I vote for Kitchen Confidential.