rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Should Roosh start a book club?

I don't know if this idea has been proposed before, but I think it would be cool if we had an entire section dedicated to books, or even a book club. In the past week alone I bought a couple of books that were recommended by members and would like to discuss some of the topics with other people.

Also, one of Roosh's recent blog entries was about a guy who came to him looking for game advice, one of Roosh's recommendations was that they guy come back after he had read 30 books, there's no doubt that being well read is one aspect that all men should strive to become.

I've noticed quite a few different threads about reading, literature, books, etc and thought that a book club of sorts could good idea for the forum, your thoughts?

I think a Roosh book club is a pretty damn good idea, really. I wouldn't be able to participate until after I get back from Thailand, since I leave in a few days and don't have a kindle, but would be interested when I return. Unless the first book was Bang, because I have it but have just started it.

Well I think we all live pretty hectic lives to form a proper 'club' (and having to read like one book a week) but I'd definitely recommend checking out Roosh's book reviews on the main blog if you're looking for somewhere to start. Plus the comments on those posts always have some insight.

[Image: attachment.jpg5235]   

A book club is a great idea. For purposes of discussion, one book a week is better - I can see having a good discussion for a week, and any longer it might get stale. But some members might have trouble managing one a week. The great thing about a book club, instead of just having a books section, is that it ensures everyone has read the given book. Maybe we could do one a week, but vary the length of the books to make it possible, eg a sub-200 page book on weeks 1 and 3, and a longer one on weeks 2 and 4.

Getting books in the public domain or ones easily torrented would also increase uptake dramatically.

I'm down fo sho. Down like the syndrome.

Id be down for a book club, but I know my schedule wouldn't allow it if were a long book in a short time frame. I can work only about 50 pages a day consistently, less if it is a more complicated in-depth work. A subforum devoted to literature would be good.

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

Hardly have time for reading these days, sadly. However I think this is a great idea and I'm up for it.

I would only suggest to make the reading time 2 weeks or maybe just a little more.

I'm up for a book club or even just a "book recommendation thread". I love to read but having a hard time finding quality books.

If anyone is looking for a jumping off point from roosh's list, I would highly recommend Kitchen Confidential. Tore through it in a day and half. I think a lot of the board will relate to Anothony Bourdain and what he has done to get to where he is now. Definition of a hustla, and a guy who has been living life to the fullest.

I would say make it easy for those who are slow readers or lead busy lives like make it a bi-weekly (or more) thing. 1 book within 2 (or more) weeks, then someone creates a thread about it. "RVF Book Club: (book title here)"

Just got my Kindle this week, looking for new reading material, I like the idea

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

I think bi weekly is a good compromise.

Quote: (03-08-2012 03:07 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

I think a Roosh book club is a pretty damn good idea, really. I wouldn't be able to participate until after I get back from Thailand, since I leave in a few days and don't have a kindle, but would be interested when I return. Unless the first book was Bang, because I have it but have just started it.

In a pinch you can just download the Kindle reader for your laptop for free.

I don't like carrying multitudes of devices around with me so that's what I use.

The reader is also available for smartphones. Believe it's free.

I also suggest we start a new thread for every book suggestion. Having a range of 5-7 book suggestions and deciding which book its going to be with a poll.

Quote: (03-08-2012 07:35 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

I think bi weekly is a good compromise.

If it's biweekly then I'm down to fuck. Let's start off with books that Roosh has already reviewed on his blog.

I'm in. Like your suggestions Enfant_Terrible.

As a compromise to bi-weekly however how about 1 fiction and 1 non-fiction per month. Will give choice for those who can't get through a book in two weeks and will also work out to bi-weekly for those inclined to read 2 in the month.

Lets try and get this off the ground by April 1st.

For those who lack the time to read one book each month we should be sharing our thoughts, quotes, takeaway messages and or summaries from each book in its own thread using the format Enfant_Terrible set out ("RVF Book Club: (book title here)") so it is easily recognizable.

We should try to stick to books that are in print (so you can buy a real book from Amazon or a store). It should also be widely available either on Amazon for kindle or available via other download channels (public domain or torrented as basilransom suggested) so guys can upload to their kindles using the simple methods prescribed here or read from laptops, tablets or smartphone apps.

Try to avoid mammoth tomes, perhaps if there is demand among a few of us we can tackle separate from the set 2 each month a bigger work like Atlas Shrugged or Shantaram.

Suggestions for books to kick things off and how we all decide?

How about over the next few days each of us suggests no more than 5 books they would like to tackle (that meets the criteria above so everyone has a chance to read it) and should appeal to a majority of people here.

Those struggling may want to check out some of these threads for recommendations 1 2 3 4 5 and Roosh's reviews. Also peep lists by Art of Manliness, Tucker Max, Ryan Holiday and Esquire.

Perhaps at the end of next week (Sunday 18th March) everyone looks at each others shortlists then lists a few fiction and non-fiction books they want to read. (no voting for books from your own short list unless they are also on someone elses list). Then we can gather the 10 most popular books, start a new thread with a poll for which of those 10 books people want to read. Select most popular fiction and most popular non-fiction as our two reads for April.

Thoughts? Hope I'm not hijacking, just eager to get things rolling and include as many members as possible.

Titles I'm interested in reading that may appeal to others:
Manliness by Professor Harvey C. Mansfield. Non-fiction.
The Shallow Man by Coerte V.W. Felske. Fiction.
Games People Play: The Psychology of Human Relationships by Eric Berne. Non-fiction.

'I blew most of my money on fast cars, booze and women. The rest I squandered' - George Best

Hermm, this would be my one hang up. I am really only interested in reading books that will help me grow as a person or in some life skill, I.E. game, business, personal development, etc. I have no interest in fiction books, personally.

Quote: (03-09-2012 12:38 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Hermm, this would be my one hang up. I am really only interested in reading books that will help me grow as a person or in some life skill, I.E. game, business, personal development, etc. I have no interest in fiction books, personally.

Pitch 2 books every month, one for personal advancement, one for recreation, read one or both.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Honestlly Rio saying a complete no to fiction is pretty damn close minded. Some of the most powerful and life changing reads for me have been from fiction. For instance, want to have rock solid belief in your decisions and the inspiration to turn your back completely on society's expectations of you - check out Camus' The Stranger.

Fiction does not mean the book is complete make belive - often it means the author is better able to express his idea in narrative form or can write without the fear that he will be judged for his beliefs/actions if he were to write an autobiography.

There is no reason that both the fiction and non-fiction each month cannot help you grow as a person.

Come on guys throw up some more books you want to read, lets get things moving.

'I blew most of my money on fast cars, booze and women. The rest I squandered' - George Best

Quote: (03-09-2012 12:38 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

I used to have that same philosophy. Then a friend told me to read some bukowski. I realized quickly I personally could learn A LOT from fiction books as well, its just a different kind of learning.

Reminds me about a book that heavily influenced my teenage years. A book called Youth In Revolt. They made a movie about it a couple years back, it was ok but it only covered the first 1/3 of the book. I recommend you guys check it out too, its long but its a fun read. Ive re read three times throughout my life, and I am not a reader. The kid in book grows to become a legit G.

http://www.amazon.com/Youth-Revolt-YOUTH...446&sr=8-7

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

Quote: (03-09-2012 04:47 PM)basil Wrote:  

Honestlly Rio saying a complete no to fiction is pretty damn close minded. Some of the most powerful and life changing reads for me have been from fiction. For instance, want to have rock solid belief in your decisions and the inspiration to turn your back completely on society's expectations of you - check out Camus' The Stranger.

Fiction does not mean the book is complete make belive - often it means the author is better able to express his idea in narrative form or can write without the fear that he will be judged for his beliefs/actions if he were to write an autobiography.

There is no reason that both the fiction and non-fiction each month cannot help you grow as a person.

Come on guys throw up some more books you want to read, lets get things moving.

I'm sure there is great fiction out there, but not wanting to read it isn't close minded. I just prefer other types of books. I didn't say I think fiction sucks, I'm not opposed to it overall, but I have limited time to read and prefer other types of books. Classical might be some of the best produced music ever, but I prefer to not listen to it. I also dont eat onions, even though they are good for me. Don't get your panties in a bunch, I'm not hating on your beloved fiction.

what are 5 books every Roosh member should check out? I know there's that 48 laws one...what else?

Quote: (03-09-2012 09:47 PM)houston Wrote:  

what are 5 books every Roosh member should check out? I know there's that 48 laws one...what else?

Vagabonding, The 4 Hour Work Week, A Vagabond Story, Do Travel Writers Go To Hell and A Dead Bat in Paraguay are the books that have influenced my life and helped me make it what it is.

Not hating or getting anything in a bunch Rio, I just feel it would be like ignoring brunets. But each to their own. Also I read almost as much non-fiction, including 4 of your 5 books - I'll have to check out A Vagabond Story, is this the one?

Also it should be noted that of the 5 books you mention I know 2 (Do Travel Writers Go To Hell & Dead Bat) are certainly written entirely in a narative manner and structure just like fiction and I'm pretty sure Vagabond Story is as well. Vagabonding and even 4HWW are full of story telling as well, not dry business books.

Rio you might want to check out Unlikely Destinations: The Lonely Planet Story by Tony Wheeler, In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites, Honeymoon With My Brother by Franz Wisner and if you were willing to dip your toe into the fiction pond I think you might just enjoy Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.

Keen to see some other ideas on what we should read.

Good points, Basil. I'm sure there are some fiction books I would really enjoy, especially adventure/travel type ones.

Quote: (03-09-2012 09:47 PM)houston Wrote:  

1984. hands down the best book i've read in my entire life, nothing has really came close to it.