rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tim Ferris Diet - 20lbs in 30 days

Anybody here try this, and care to post their reviews/results/comments?

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/200...-exercise/

Mixx

Quote: (02-27-2012 12:19 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Mixx

I did it and last 10.
My buddy went hardcore with it and lost 20.

Like most plans, it's pretty simple in concept, hard to follow in reality.

The real problem is working a mentally taxing desk job.

WIA

I think a big factor for the success of a diet like this is the drastic change from the normal american diet of high refined carb everything. I eat pretty much exactly like that except I'd say I have 2 "cheat days" per week, unintentionally. So say I went on it my changes wouldn't be as drastic as someone who pounds down mcdonalds, soda, junk food etc all day.

Yeah I did this and found it pretty easy to follow. I am going to do it again (slightly modified) when I get back to the states to try to get my body fat below 10%. With this diet you eat a lot of beans which is not so popular with the ladies, but the cheat day is pure bliss.

I'm pretty much doing this right now with a hardcore workout routine. Good link. Tim Ferris is a funny guy. I actually have a good story about him.

For a guy who is already in shape, that diet isn't going to work.

For a guy who needs to lose 30-50 pounds plus, it'll work like a G.

Quote: (02-27-2012 02:07 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

I'm pretty much doing this right now with a hardcore workout routine. Good link. Tim Ferris is a funny guy. I actually have a good story about him.

I'm a TF fan and I'd love to hear it!

Quote: (02-27-2012 03:49 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

For a guy who is already in shape, that diet isn't going to work.

For a guy who needs to lose 30-50 pounds plus, it'll work like a G.

I'll corroborate this claim entirely.

This is how I eat on any given week yet I'm not ripped, I'm not rocking a sick pack, hell most people would say I could still stand to lose five pounds.

When I First started eating a diet like this the fat fell off, but it slowly grinds down. If I've learned anything in the past 1.5 years its that dieting, weight loss, and body "shaping" are very much dependent on the individual. What works for me most likely wont work for someone else and with time what worked for me might no longer work.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

The slow carb diet is great for cutting and maintaining muscle mass. It's also perfect for those of us that arent too vigilant about what we eat (pick a type of bean, pick a vegetable, pick a protein and you're good to go for a meal). I also love the fact that I never feel hungry, tired or agitated while eating this way. Having said that, I think Tim exaggerated the results a bit. I lost about 13 lbs in 3 weeks and maintained most of my muscle mass. However, I haven't lost anything since then (been doing it for 7 weeks). I'm happy with the results though. It's the first time i've done a cut without having my lifts at the gym suffer (they've actually gone up).
If you're looking to get sub 10 percent bodyfat, I think keto or ec stack might be the way to go. Although, personally, I wouldn't put my body through that. I'm cool with 12% for now.
Would definitely recommend giving it a shot either way!

Definitely works when you are trying to lose weight. A few guys I trained with in Australia tried it and all of them lost a lot of weight in a few months. The day off was always fun to watch too [Image: biggrin.gif]

It looks relatively solid and I'm sure it would work for someone who isn't used to eating that way. But in all seriousness I've read a decent amount of Ferris over the last few years and a lot of his stuff is ridiculously exaggerated.

For starters if you look up his article from Geek To Freak and how he gained 35 pounds of muscle in a month. Also he makes an appearance in the photographs and wrote the forward for the jiujitsu book Submit Everyone by Dave Camarillo. Despite it having great reviews on amazon, it's an incredibly one dimensional book and poorly written. You're certainly not going to submit everyone by reading it. It's strange because Camarillo is a highly respected legit BJJ black belt in the jiujitsu community.

A lot of his ideas are good and I'm not trying to bash the guy, but just saying to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Quote: (02-27-2012 05:02 PM)?Kick Wrote:  

The slow carb diet is great for cutting and maintaining muscle mass. It's also perfect for those of us that arent too vigilant about what we eat (pick a type of bean, pick a vegetable, pick a protein and you're good to go for a meal). I also love the fact that I never feel hungry, tired or agitated while eating this way. Having said that, I think Tim exaggerated the results a bit. I lost about 13 lbs in 3 weeks and maintained most of my muscle mass. However, I haven't lost anything since then (been doing it for 7 weeks). I'm happy with the results though. It's the first time i've done a cut without having my lifts at the gym suffer (they've actually gone up).
If you're looking to get sub 10 percent bodyfat, I think keto or ec stack might be the way to go. Although, personally, I wouldn't put my body through that. I'm cool with 12% for now.
Would definitely recommend giving it a shot either way!

This was a very helpful review thanks!

I love beans, pork chops/beef and spinach, so I might as well give this a try. Having a free day 1x per week is awesome.

If I only lose 15lbs in 1 month, I consider this a success.

I am starting this March 1st, anyone want to join me on the journey and support each other on this thread?

MIxx

The results should be treated skeptically, because (I believe) he was regaining muscle he had had in the past. That is vastly easier than building new muscle, especially for a non-novice.

Quote: (02-27-2012 04:06 PM)Chad Daring Wrote:  

I'll corroborate this claim entirely.

This is how I eat on any given week yet I'm not ripped, I'm not rocking a sick pack, hell most people would say I could still stand to lose five pounds.

When I First started eating a diet like this the fat fell off, but it slowly grinds down. If I've learned anything in the past 1.5 years its that dieting, weight loss, and body "shaping" are very much dependent on the individual. What works for me most likely wont work for someone else and with time what worked for me might no longer work.

I'm starting to find this to be true as well. Over the past 4 years I've dropped 100-odd pounds and as I get nearer to my optimum weight, it gets harder and harder to trim down. I'm 6'4 and I've been stuck at about 220 for 6 months now despite trying all variations of diets and working out 5-6 times a week. I like to think I'm converting fat to muscle, but I can't get rid of my belly fat.

I started a strict Paleo + Intermittent Fasting regimen yesterday and am going to stick with it through the end of March to see how it works.

Also, does anyone have a good way of tracking progress other than a scale? I'm not so much trying to lose weight now as convert fat to muscle. I'm going to try monthly pictures to see if I can notice a change.

Edit: Fucked up the quote, fixed.

for anyone who wants to get in on supporting eachother through weightloss/getting more fit a few of us are going to be running a competition starting march 1st

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-10120.html

No problem, glad I could help. The cheat days are GLORIOUS! Take full advantage of them.
One thing I forgot to mention is that I have been training hard the entire time I've been on the slow carb diet. Which is another reason why I think the results are a little bit exaggerated by Tim. I doubt I could have lost the weight with just dieting alone. As Mike CF said, if you have more fat to lose expect greater results.

Mixx

mixx, not happy with your current plan?

Quote: (02-28-2012 09:24 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

Mixx

I do not stay on any given plan for long, my body adapts too quickly, and It's a tug-of-war.

So, gonna give this much less strict plan a shot, got nothing to lose but some fat I suppose.

Mixx

Quote: (02-28-2012 09:34 AM)MiXX Wrote:  

Mixx

I do not stay on any given plan for long, my body adapts too quickly, and It's a tug-of-war.

So, gonna give this much less strict plan a shot, got nothing to lose but some fat I suppose.

Mixx

this would likely mean a pretty significant caloric increase for you.

what do you mean your body adapts? how does one's body adapt to a low calorie low carb diet? you're saying that even in ketosis and at 1000 calories you still can't lose body fat?

I would just like to say that whenever I see a fitness plan that says " LOSE XXXXX in XXXX DAYS !!!!11!1!1!!!" I cringe.

It is almost one hundred percent guaranteed to be some cleverly marketed crapola designed to put a few bucks in someone else's pocket at the expense of your health.

It is not good for your body to do drastic changes in routine or exercise. You should gradually adjust your diet and workout schedule, and focus on making natural and sustainable gains or losses.

Otherwise, you will always end up regressing once the 4 hours or 1 week or 90 days or whatever arbitrary time period has passed.

Quote: (02-28-2012 09:45 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

Mixx

Mixx

what do you mean your body adapts? how does one's body adapt to a low calorie low carb diet? you're saying that even in ketosis and at 1000 calories you still can't lose body fat?

I lose it, but is is dooogggg slow. I've only lost 1.5lbs of Fat in the last 2 week (in ketosis), but I gained muscle too, but my Fat loss has come to a crawl.

So, I want to take a "break" for one month, and this seemed like the perfect break, even on "diet days" it seems like cheat days for me...pork chops, spinach and beans, with 1 cheat day per week to eat pizza? Shit that sounds like a dream diet to me. =)

Even I only lose 5lbs in the next month, I just want to take a break. I recently sustained a knee injury that is forcing me not too exercise for the next 3 weeks. =(

Mixx

I've been eating this diet for 3 months and lost weight. The last month I got a sweet tooth and gained 5 lbs back.

I didn't need Tim Ferriss to figure it out. It was simply making smart decisions in a military chow hall.

Everyday, we have several choices of beans and greens for lunch and dinner. They are served hot, or as a cold alternative on the salad bar. Raw asparagus is almost always available. I ate a lot of kidney beans, usually 2x daily, and raw or cooked greens 1x daily.

I mostly avoided "white" food, skipping bread unless it was part of a cheeseburger, and ZERO rice. I tried to pick the grill meat of fish off the bar, but sometimes would splurge on something less healthy.

For dessert I'd get a small bowl of jello, to keep the calories down. It's better than a piece of pecan pie with vanilla ice cream.

For breakfast I religiously ate 1 very small breakfast burrito, and 1 bowl of oatmeal, usually with a banana chopped up in it.

So in short, this diet works.

Quote: (02-28-2012 12:41 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Quote: (02-28-2012 09:45 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

Mixx

Yo mix... keep us updated on your progress wit your diet.

Mixx

I lose it, but is is dooogggg slow. I've only lost 1.5lbs of Fat in the last 2 week (in ketosis), but I gained muscle too, but my Fat loss has come to a crawl.

So, I want to take a "break" for one month, and this seemed like the perfect break, even on "diet days" it seems like cheat days for me...pork chops, spinach and beans, with 1 cheat day per week to eat pizza? Shit that sounds like a dream diet to me. =)

Even I only lose 5lbs in the next month, I just want to take a break. I recently sustained a knee injury that is forcing me not too exercise for the next 3 weeks. =(

Mixx

Yo Mix keep us updated on how this diet works for you.

"All My Bitches love me....I love all my bitches,
but its like soon as I cum... I come to my senses."

I dropped about 15lbs in three months. Also had way more energy. There are a few tricks in 4HB about how to minimize fat storage during cheat days/cheat meals.

- Cinnamon
- Caffeine
- Doing a very short resistance workout before and after cheat meals

Blog: Thumotic
Red Pill links: The Red Pill Review
Follow me on Twitter

Quote: (02-29-2012 07:34 AM)Frost Wrote:  

I dropped about 15lbs in three months.

Ok, 5 lbs per month is a lot less than what Tim claims of 20lbs. Did you follow the program to the letter for 30 days? Or did yo deviate from the 3 daily foods?

Has anyone stuck with this diet TO THE LETTER? Not cheated in anyway except for their included cheat day?

Mixx