rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bartender cock-blocked me

So I'm in this crowded bar with a friend, just to have a drink and have some good old time, not to take a woman home because I got the old lady waiting for me there. But still, it's important to practice and not let one's game get rusty.
I sees three girls by the bar, one dancing next to her bar chair, and I goes and says to her:
- Looks like you're the person having the most fun here (thanks Uncle Roosh)
- Huh, hah, really?
- I thought I was that person... but then I saw you.
- Yeah, I like having fun, bla-bla.
- I've got a confession to make... actually, I came to talk to you because I want to ask you a favor.
- Really, what? (goes cold, probably thinking whether this well-dressed man is not really a bum going to ask for $1)
- I want to put my coat on your chair - the coat check is full. (for real)
- Oh, sure, go ahead (drama over, back in the game)

So I put my coat on the back of her chair, wiggle my way among the crowd to the bar, and the bartender shouts at me:
- You have to take your coat off this chair.
I pretend not to have heard and shout back "One bear please. Heineken". He gives me the beer and goes again:
- Take your coat off that chair please.
- What's the problem?
- These seats are reserved, clients called to book them.
- Well, the coat check's full, and I asked the lady, she doesn't mind.
- Doesn't matter, can't put your coat on other customers' seats, these seats are booked, bla-bla (and looks at me like he's ready to call in the bouncers)

What should I have done? What would you have done? What would an alpha do?
- James Bond would probably say to the girl "Lets-h-h get out of here. I don't like the servish-h-h" while planting a timebomb underneath the bar.
- Chuck Norris would knock out the barman, and when ten bouncers come to the rescue, he would kick their asses, one by one and jointly.
- Tony Montana would make him say Hello to his little friend.
- Schwarzenegger would pull a pump-action shotgun out of his sleeve, terminate him, then blow up the whole bar on his way out.

What did I do? I just picked up my coat, paid for my drink (tip=zero, naturally), said good-bye to the girl, and left for greener pastures. Just felt it was not worth the trouble.
Not sure if the guy was white-knighting or wanted to work on the girls himself, but the interesting thing is it's the second time I see this - a while ago a friend got kicked out of a bar for "bothering the customers". All he did was talk to a few girls. I wonder if some places in this city are not conspiring to provide to their female customers a PUA-free environment.

That's how important it is to follow G's advice and have a place on lockdown - otherwise even some minimum wage employee can and will cockblock you. As if the competition from other cockblockers is not enough.

Are you assuming he was lying? I have no idea, just is relevant to story line.

Bartenders sometimes try to cookbook especially if they have interest for the girl or want to pass her to their friends.They also want to protect the reputation of the bar by letting only known and accepted persons pick up.Other times they just want a tip or a free drink they show in this way that you not have done yet your duty to them.

Having been a bartender myself, I'd say you were borderline irritating. When a bartender asks you to do something, and you respond with a "one heineken, please" - that will piss him off, for sure. Bartender's have no patience for cocky guests who waste their time and they can make your life difficult if they want.

The correct strategy would have been to say "Sure, didn't know" then ask for alternatives. He might not have given any, but you would have earned his appreciation for cooperating.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

On a related note, I once got cockblocked by the ambassator from Taiwan. Was in this big conference and chatting up this intern and telling her the places I've travelled. All of the sudden this old dude came from nowhere because he heard me talking about Taiwan as one of the places I've visited. The dude wouldn't leave me alone so the intern just walked away. 30 minutes later, he's still talking but I stayed because I wanted his connection...

The Taiwan ambassador story is just hilarious. Funny that some cockblocks aren't so bad and can in fact serve as solid stories for attracting new girls

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

I would have just said it was her coat and she left it at your place last night/yesterday/whenever.

Then go talk to the chick again and tell her to play along.

I would have asked the girl to wear it for me while we danced[Image: wink.gif]

Now, the trick is you are looking for her interest level in you. By that time, she has already decided if she wants to talk to you or not. Girls are just like guys, they know within minutes if they are going to fuck a guy.

If she complies, take her outside for "fresh air", isolate. If she denies your request, and does not give you a subtle reason to stay, or shows body language that she is smiling or marginally interested in you...well, she (and the bartender) just saved you 20 minutes of your life. NEXT!

** Bottom line is it should not get to you, ever. Not even the slightest bit.

*** Word of advice, get to a bar early and lock down all bartenders and bouncers BEFORE IT GETS BUSY. If you go there around 8:30PM, build a rapport with the bartender for the night....you'll never face this. Leaving a 20 dollar tip to start his night off is a great way for him(or her) to turn the other cheek, and even HELP YOU later on, especially FEMALE BARTENDERS! Of course only do this if you know you will be there later on.

Mixx

Quote: (02-21-2012 08:17 AM)snoop Wrote:  

I would have just said it was her coat and she left it at your place last night/yesterday/whenever.

I vote this the best answer, and just add mine to measure her level of interest.

Mixx

Bartender cockblocks are so common that I think it might deserve its own branch of cockblocking game. At the end of the day, it's a man with slightly higher status (at least ostensibly) trying to strong-arm your seemingly weaker status. You need to either slam him down or ignore him properly. I never confront this type of situation, since he's stuck behind a counter and is easily diverted. I divert, because I can.

Bartender: You need to move your coat. These seats are reserved.
Tuthmosis [whispering to girl]: God, this bartender has had it in for me ever since he heard me making a joke about him to one of my friends a few weeks ago. Dude needs to learn to let things go.
Tuthmosis [to bartender]: My bad, buddy. I'll move it right now!
Girl: What did you say?
Tuthmosis [grabbing coat and sidling to a nearby area, ushering girl with you]: I said he looks like a broke-ass version of [funny look-alike celebrity]
Girl: [laughter]. He sorta does!
Tuthmosis: The problem is that I have volume-control issues and he somehow heard me. He wouldn't serve me a drink for the rest of the night.

Etc. Etc.

Ownership isn't always aggression or confrontation. Remember what your goal is: the girl. Don't lose focus or your mojo.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Quote: (02-21-2012 10:17 AM)MiXX Wrote:  

Quote: (02-21-2012 08:17 AM)snoop Wrote:  

I vote this the best answer, and just add mine to measure her level of interest.

Mixx

you can also then make inside jokes about it. If she sets her drink down you can say "I'm sorry but you can't use that coaster, I called in earlier and reserved it."

Good feedback guys - thanks!
Actually, I was looking for the girl to chime in. Yeah, she told me I could leave my coat there, but after this exchange with the bartender I looked her in the eye for a second and kind of expected her to tell him it's OK. It was her, after all, who had the seat reserved (I think).
Since she didn't say anything, that served as a good gauge or her interest in me. Yeah, she might have been amused by watching two dogs amog'ing it out for her entertainment, but I wasn't going to give her that. Next!