rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

job interviews question..

hey when you're getting interview for a job and they ask you questions, what do you think is better... short, straght to the point, confident answers or rambling "day bang" style?

Quote: (02-16-2012 01:49 PM)JoyStick Wrote:  

hey when you're getting interview for a job and they ask you questions, what do you think is better... short, straght to the point, confident answers or rambling "day bang" style?

Depends on the type of questions. Factual questions, answer them legitimately.

Hypothetical "where do you see yourself in ten years" questions - shit test, treat it like one.

Here, I wrote a guide to interviews

I can't tell you how many emails I've gotten saying this guide landed them jobs.

thanks man.. i'ma check out your blog.

Ask good questions to reverse the power dynamics:

- What is the five year plan for the company?
- Is the company planning to break into new market segments?

- There is one last thing that I have to say: I have another option on the table. It is a good option. But I prefer this one. They are putting me under pressure to make a decision. Can you give me an answer by xyz?

- What is the most difficult part of running your operation?

- What is the most important part to get right? The most important mistake to avoid?

I just got fired, so I'm bumping this thread.

'Why do you think I should work for this company?'
I always chuck this one in. It's good for flipping the script combined with some nlp.

Quote: (02-16-2012 01:58 PM)Alpha Wrote:  

Quote: (02-16-2012 01:49 PM)JoyStick Wrote:  

Depends on the type of questions. Factual questions, answer them legitimately.

Hypothetical "where do you see yourself in ten years" questions - shit test, treat it like one.

Here, I wrote a guide to interviews

I can't tell you how many emails I've gotten saying this guide landed them jobs.

The link is dead, did anyone make a copy of the web page? As I recall the advice was pretty good. I seem to remember him talking about adopting a kingly posture at a job interview - one leg bent slightly back, one slightly forward, one hand resting on the knee - like in the portraits of kings.

My article below has some obvious stuff you may already be doing but relevant to keep in mind as you're interviewing I think.

Especially "don't give them too much respect." They haven't earned it from you.

Be confident with your story on how you left your last job. Practice this with friends because the way it comes out is really important. More you practice, better it sounds. This question likely comes early in the interview so it's a good way to establish the tone of the rest of the interview process.

Ramble accordingly but it may help to change your style for a woman interviewer versus a man. I generally engage the female hamster (trustworthy, reliable) with females but with male interviewers I am different and try to come off as a leader and an initiator. I've been doing this subconsciously over the years but realize now that I have been using game.

I may write an article about this soon.

Quote: (06-01-2014 08:00 PM)Cobra Wrote:  

My article below has some obvious stuff you may already be doing but relevant to keep in mind as you're interviewing I think.

Especially "don't give them too much respect." They haven't earned it from you.

Be confident with your story on how you left your last job. Practice this with friends because the way it comes out is really important. More you practice, better it sounds. This question likely comes early in the interview so it's a good way to establish the tone of the rest of the interview process.

Ramble accordingly but it may help to change your style for a woman interviewer versus a man. I generally engage the female hamster (trustworthy, reliable) with females but with male interviewers I am different and try to come off as a leader and an initiator. I've been doing this subconsciously over the years but realize now that I have been using game.

I may write an article about this soon.
Great point Cobra, game is a commodity in ALL facets of life. In simple terms, it is using your capacity of persuasion to attain your end goals. No more, no less

MDP

Interviewer: Where do you see yourself in five years time?

Me: Sat in your seat.

There is some bad fucking advice in many of these posts. Here is my advice. It applies best to white-collar jobs.
  • Give the respect that you would need to give in order to have a working relationship with the person. Ultimately, he's going to be your mentor/supervisor/boss/coworker, so you should treat him in such a way that you obviously would contribute to a productive working environment. Unless you're a hypertalented superstar in your field, you're not going to get hired if you walk into an interview acting like the CEO.
  • Be clear, precise, and to-the-point. Time is money. You get thirty minutes (or some finite amount of time) to show the other person why you are worth hiring. Make the most of the time slot. If you ramble, it's like you have the ball and you're just dribbling at half-court. It's better to take some shots.
  • With personal fit questions, tell them what they want to hear. "I am interested in trading as a profession because it allows me to leverage my knowledge of other fields at the fast pace of the markets. For example, as an an engineer, I have some insight into the technical aspects of Caterpillar's production and competitors. That will help me identify industry catalysts and distill worthwhile ideas from analyst reports. I like the unpredictable nature of the markets because you can't succeed consistently on accident."
  • Don't try to reverse the power dynamic. You can't. Ultimately, the other guy is going to hire you if you come across as someone who will help him make money. If you're an asshole, that won't be the case.

The biggest mistake is to worry about questions you'll be asked and how you'll answer them. Everyone worries about that to an extent, at least most who'll be interviewed and rejected.

You've got to separate yourself from the pack. How do you do that? Research the company you're interviewing for and ask them questions. Just like with game, you don't want to appear needy. You need to appear like you have other options you're considering. You also however need to appear like you've done your research on them. The other valuable piece of advice is to let the interviewer know how you'll help the company and why you'd be an asset to the company. The biggest mistake there is promoting your skills/talent. Everyone does that. It's got to be more personal. You're a hard worker, a go-getter, love to learn, enjoy challenges, etc.. Also make sure you have a few hobbies or at least BS that part. Try to find common ground with the interviewer. Most guys, at least on some level, like one of sports or travel. Find a way to work that into the interview. Use travel and life experience to your advantage. Too many people rely on academic accomplishments.