rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Blake Mallen packs on 20lbs of muscle in 90Days!

Of course he selling something (a pyramid scheme at that lol) so I really ain't taking in what hes saying. Hes pushing food/nutrient products as selling the lifting routine would be useless. I am more interested in his approach to working out he claimed to do at the start. If anybody has replicated the types of slow movements, heavy rep type deal he was doing I would be interested to see your take on how it varied from what you did previously. My friend did something similar to this in the past he has bulked up nicely.

I ain't really seeing where the 20lbs is tho? homie said it was mostly in his legs which I agree with as my left thigh probably weights more than him.

If anybody knows if this is even remotely possible? the floor is yours. My FB blowing up with all the meat heads on my list trying push this shit (all women).

What the fuck is his problem with eating so much food. It doesn't even sound like that much food. What a pussy.
Also 20lbs of muscle in 90 days isnt mind bogglingly impressive. I put on just as much in 4 months as opposed to 3 and all I had to do was eat like shit and chug lots of protein shakes along with my stronglifts program. I guess its kind of impressive that it was lean gains he made as opposed to mine where I gained some fat along with the muscle.

Also the slow movements/heavy reps sounds kind of whack, just do a 5x5 program and eat like a horse and you'll bulk up like a champ. Exercises like squats (the most important muscle building exercise) should be an explosive movement not a slow one.

Id say his gains were probably in his back and legs, I don't know who he was before but most people just work the gym muscles (arms.abs.chest) so his program would explode his legs.

seriously i question how much of that is actual muscle and not water and fat. i havent watched the video.

Seriously, 20 pounds ain't shit. I put on 60 in 4 months by drinking a gallon of milk a day and lots of squats.

Same here, put 20 lbs on two separate occasions in about 90 days.

In 2006 from 120-140lbs worked out every 4-5 days a week.

and 2009 135-155lbs worked out 4-5 days a week.

Quote: (02-08-2012 04:38 AM)Laser Wrote:  

Seriously, 20 pounds ain't shit. I put on 60 in 4 months by drinking a gallon of milk a day and lots of squats.

word up!

sounds like a Starting Strength experience?

I did the same in 2011.

went from 215 to 275. have cut about 15 pounds of fat now and have continued to increase muscle mass just much slower now.

Sorry, I couldn't watch the video to any length because he sounds like a complete faggot. This guy needs voice lessons, sounds like someone's got his balls in a vise.

Quote: (02-08-2012 09:30 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-08-2012 04:38 AM)Laser Wrote:  

word up!

sounds like a Starting Strength experience?

I did the same in 2011.

went from 215 to 275. have cut about 15 pounds of fat now and have continued to increase muscle mass just much slower now.

Yah. Starting strength is the shit. I went from 125 to 190, got hurt/cut to 150, and am now at 160. Still gaining, but doing it slower this time.

This is the first I've seen of this guy, but I have to say that 20 lbs of lean muscle in 90 days is impossible. 20 pounds of lean muscle in a year is tough, and almost impossible without steroids.

Most guys who hit the gym hard and are natural can put on around 10-12 pounds of lean muscle a year maximum if they bust their ass in the gym and eat like maniacs and have a cutting phase that doesn't eat away too much muscle.

I'm not talking about the weight you put on during a bulking phase. A lot of that is fat and water along with the muscle you put on. I'm talking about lean muscle gains after you cut the fat and water with diet and exercise. I'm talking about having the same body fat percentages before and after of someone who isn't a skinny-fat couch potato fuck at the start of the program. That is, you already work out casually already a couple times a week and made the decision that you were gonna start gaining hard.

If you have god-like genetics, then I can see 20 pounds in a year, but that is extremely rare. I can also see 20 pounds in a year for someone who is on gear.

I would joke that someone put their foot on the scale when he stepped on it. The guy is obviously selling supplements. 20 lbs of lean muscle naturally in 90 days is complete bullshit. His supplements might be great, but he is a gay-faced gay-voiced dickhead. Brilliant marketer, though. He is the Mehow of the fitness/supplement pushing industry.

Also regarding the way he is lifting (slow, 5 second reps). In my opinion, it doesn't matter how you do your program as long as you are doing compound exercises, correct form, lifting heavy, until failure, and up your weight periodically for strength and mass gains. Also you should be eating enough, getting enough sleep, and listening to your body so you don't over-train. Anything more than that is just complicating things and the differences in gains you will experience by doing crazy shit will be marginal. It's not that complicated. People have been lifting weights and getting huge for a long ass time. Just because something is new and sounds cool doesn't make it revolutionary.

That is not to say you shouldn't switch up your routine if you are plateauing or are getting bored with it. Same principles, just switch up the exercises.

Quote: (08-20-2012 11:55 PM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

This is the first I've seen of this guy, but I have to say that 20 lbs of lean muscle in 90 days is impossible. 20 pounds of lean muscle in a year is tough, and almost impossible without steroids.

Most guys who hit the gym hard and are natural can put on around 10-12 pounds of lean muscle a year maximum if they bust their ass in the gym and eat like maniacs and have a cutting phase that doesn't eat away too much muscle.

I'm not talking about the weight you put on during a bulking phase. A lot of that is fat and water along with the muscle you put on. I'm talking about lean muscle gains after you cut the fat and water with diet and exercise. I'm talking about having the same body fat percentages before and after of someone who isn't a skinny-fat couch potato fuck at the start of the program. That is, you already work out casually already a couple times a week and made the decision that you were gonna start gaining hard.

If you have god-like genetics, then I can see 20 pounds in a year, but that is extremely rare. I can also see 20 pounds in a year for someone who is on gear.

I would joke that someone put their foot on the scale when he stepped on it. The guy is obviously selling supplements. 20 lbs of lean muscle naturally in 90 days is complete bullshit. His supplements might be great, but he is a gay-faced gay-voiced dickhead. Brilliant marketer, though. He is the Mehow of the fitness/supplement pushing industry.

Also regarding the way he is lifting (slow, 5 second reps). In my opinion, it doesn't matter how you do your program as long as you are doing compound exercises, correct form, lifting heavy, until failure, and up your weight periodically for strength and mass gains. Also you should be eating enough, getting enough sleep, and listening to your body so you don't over-train. Anything more than that
is just complicating things and the differences in gains you will experience by doing crazy shit will be marginal. It's not that complicated. People have been lifting weights and getting huge for a long ass time. Just because something is new and sounds cool doesn't make it revolutionary.

That is not to say you shouldn't switch up your routine if you are plateauing or are getting bored with it. Same principles, just switch up the exercises.

You beat me to it.

Sorry guys but those of you on here saying they piled on 20 pounds of muscle in 90 days have no idea what muscle is. You can put on 20 pounds of weight but it is impossible to put it on in muscle without roids. Impossible!

20 lbs of weight, not 20 pounds of muscle. He basically followed a high intensity training protocol. Google Arthur Jones and High Intensity Training.

If you eat a well balanced high calorie/protein diet, 20 lbs is not unheard of. It'll be a combination of muscle, fat, and water. Saying it's 20 lbs of lean muscle is just ridiculous. Throw some creatine into the mix and it would be even easier to gain this much weight. The younger you are the easier it is.

Blake Mallen is not skinny, despite what he says. Just saying.

Quote: (08-21-2012 04:24 AM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

Sorry guys but those of you on here saying they piled on 20 pounds of muscle in 90 days have no idea what muscle is. You can put on 20 pounds of weight but it is impossible to put it on in muscle without roids. Impossible!

Well, I have gained about 15 lbs in 4 months. I can't definitely say how much of it is muscle vs water and fat. But, I have kept my diet fairly clean, no sugar, no junk food etc. and eating quinoa, beans etc. for carbs. I am also doing 16/8 intermittent fasting every day now. My waist measurements are the same as before and in addition I can see that I have lost belly fat. Am I naive in assuming that I have gained 15 lbs of muscle?

Quote: (02-07-2012 09:25 PM)kosko Wrote:  

I ain't really seeing where the 20lbs is tho? homie said it was mostly in his legs which I agree with as my left thigh probably weights more than him.

If anybody knows if this is even remotely possible? the floor is yours. My FB blowing up with all the meat heads on my list trying push this shit (all women).

Typical MLM bullshit. Visalus is such a scam pyramid company. Bunch of sheep.

What's the big deal with gaining 20lbs in 3 month? I gained about 15 when I first started working out and known others that were up there with 20lbs or more. Not to say, 20 lbs is not impressive even with the newbie gains but this video makes it sounds like he did something impossible and made a big fuss.

Mostly hype to sell his products.

Also keep in mind how much of those weights are water weights.

It is a BIG deal only after you finished your "newbie gains". Try gaining another 20lbs of lean muscle after your first 3 month cycle then we're talking.

Quote: (08-21-2012 09:45 AM)ManAbout Wrote:  

Quote: (08-21-2012 04:24 AM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

Well, I have gained about 15 lbs in 4 months. I can't definitely say how much of it is muscle vs water and fat. But, I have kept my diet fairly clean, no sugar, no junk food etc. and eating quinoa, beans etc. for carbs. I am also doing 16/8 intermittent fasting every day now. My waist measurements are the same as before and in addition I can see that I have lost belly fat. Am I naive in assuming that I have gained 15 lbs of muscle?

Yes it won't be primarily muscle gain unfortunately however that should not matter to you. You have lost belly fat and no doubt look a lot better and feel better then before which is what matters most. Also you mention you are fasting,whilst I'm not sure what 16/8 fasting actually is,I am pretty sure it will hold back your muscle gaining capabilities. You need to be feeding every 3 hours really to keep the body from feeding off of itself.

Keep up the good work.

Quote: (08-21-2012 02:31 PM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

Yes it won't be primarily muscle gain unfortunately however that should not matter to you. You have lost belly fat and no doubt look a lot better and feel better then before which is what matters most. Also you mention you are fasting,whilst I'm not sure what 16/8 fasting actually is,I am pretty sure it will hold back your muscle gaining capabilities. You need to be feeding every 3 hours really to keep the body from feeding off of itself.

Keep up the good work.

The 16/8 is intermittent fasting as discussed in this thread here:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-4922.html

16 hours of fasting, with an 8 hour feeding window. Yes, I do find my body feeding off itself, but that's the whole point of intermittent fasting. Except that it's not feeding off the muscle, but the fat, from what I can tell.

I skip breakfast, do a fasted workout, have my first meal right after at 1 PM, and stop eating at 9 PM.

I've done about the same thing before, about 20lbs of muscle in 3 months and decreasing body fat by 6% points. Huge visual difference in muscle mass and definition, as well as in strength. Just worked out really hard, 6 times a week, 1 hour lifting hard, 30 minutes cardio. Eating healthy, a LOT of lean protein (lived on chicken salad pretty much), limited my carbs, very little alcohol, etc. It's not really that hard if you are healthy to work out hard. Now I've had a fucked up shoulder for some time and lost most of that great shape I have been in since my ability to lift hard has decreases a lot.
It depends on your genetics and body type a lot though. I'm probably closest to mesomorph from all the 3 body archetypes so I can pack on muscle/lose weight fairly easily with some effort. Also at 6'3" 20lbs is not really all that much...

Edit: Ran the calculation again and it was actually about 14 lbs, not 20. Still, I was pretty proud of the accomplishment.

These guys are based out of Los Angeles. One of his partners is Ryan Blair and Nick Sarnicola I think..They are heavy into the multi level marketing...Dont know or have enough facts to see if thier stuff works but if you were to see the other two..They are pretty lean, almost yolked up dudes.

Quote: (08-21-2012 02:43 PM)ManAbout Wrote:  

The 16/8 is intermittent fasting as discussed in this thread here:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-4922.html

16 hours of fasting, with an 8 hour feeding window. Yes, I do find my body feeding off itself, but that's the whole point of intermittent fasting. Except that it's not feeding off the muscle, but the fat, from what I can tell.

I skip breakfast, do a fasted workout, have my first meal right after at 1 PM, and stop eating at 9 PM.

I think you need to decide your priorities. Do you want to get bigger or do you want to get healthier? If you don't have the same insecurities that most of us guys who try to get big have about our bodies and your priorities are health over size then stick to what you are doing as it seems to be working for you. The fact is though that you can't have both. I want to be bigger so I don't do cardio ( or at least the bare minimum only ). I also eat constantly which can't be so healthy for the digestive system to be working 18 hours a day. So in search of muscle I have compromised my health a little,nothing major but I could be much fitter if I was doing things your way.

The fact is though that fasting for 16 hours a day will not maximise gains in muscle mass. If you can live with that then cool,if not then break up your fast by having protein shakes at the very least.

Quote: (08-21-2012 11:48 AM)OldRich Wrote:  

What's the big deal with gaining 20lbs in 3 month? I gained about 15 when I first started working out and known others that were up there with 20lbs or more. Not to say, 20 lbs is not impressive even with the newbie gains but this video makes it sounds like he did something impossible and made a big fuss.

Mostly hype to sell his products.

Also keep in mind how much of those weights are water weights.

It is a BIG deal only after you finished your "newbie gains". Try gaining another 20lbs of lean muscle after your first 3 month cycle then we're talking.

You didn't gain 15lbs OF MUSCLE in your first 3 months. You should have gone and gotten your body weight assessed properly.
Gaining fat doesn't count.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Like others have said, 20lbs of muscle is impossible without "help"

The current accepted range of max muscle growth is between 1.5 and 5 lbs per month, with 5lbs obviously being with exceptional genetics, training and nutrition. The average person could only gain ~3lbs per month with reasonable training and nutrition.

If 5 lbs of muscle is the maximum per month, then what are those who have done starting strength gaining ? If you gain 40 lbs in 3 months, 25 lbs of it is fat and water?

I suppose the only real way to know is to do before and after DEXA scans so you can get th real numbers.