rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How To Workout At Gyms For Great Prices And No Contracts

I've lived in mad US cities and have been members of various gyms throughout the country (Golds, LA Fitness, 24hr Fitness, Washington/New York Sports Clubs, etc). These days, my workouts are very simple and based on Crossfit exercises. I just need a squat rack, kettlebells, etc.

I also switch up geographic locations on a moment's notice so I don't have time/patience for contracts.

That said, I've been purchasing one-month gym passes from Groupon/Amazon Local/KGB Deals.

Just about every other week, a 30-day pass for some type of gym is available for purchase. I often save over 50% off the regular price. Best of all, no contract. I've used these for the past few months. All of the gyms have several locations in my area, so they are all about the same distance from where I live.

I don't really have particular loyalty to a specific gym so long as my needs (mentioned above) are met.

This is a great way to reduce a basic overhead cost without being stifled by a bullshit contract.

Great Tip, just purchased one. Thanks! +1

Quote: (02-03-2012 06:41 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

That said, I've been purchasing one-month gym passes from Groupon/Amazon Local/KGB Deals.

This is a great way to reduce a basic overhead cost without being stifled by a bullshit contract.

Gyms are moving away from contracts. For instance, the Gold's I go to is $9.99 a month with no contract. In addition, there are other gyms in the area for $10 a month and no contract. I think gyms are realizing with the economic downtown a lot of folks are hesitant about getting locked into something longterm.

Quote: (02-03-2012 07:42 PM)JayMillz Wrote:  

Quote: (02-03-2012 06:41 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Gyms are moving away from contracts. For instance, the Gold's I go to is $9.99 a month with no contract. In addition, there are other gyms in the area for $10 a month and no contract. I think gyms are realizing with the economic downtown a lot of folks are hesitant about getting locked into something longterm.

I'm familiar with that Gold's deal. It's actually $9.99 every two weeks, not per month. Also, there's a catch. You have to book a few personal training sessions which costs a couple hundred dollars. There's also an enrollment fee.

The $10/month gym you're talking about is probably Planet Fitness? They had a location near where I worked in SF's Financial District and were advertising that price. It's a pretty spartan bootleg gym. I wouldn't recommend it. No contract, but there is an enrollment fee.

The great thing about the method I mentioned (online deals) is that you just pay the advertised price and that's it. No contract or fees. You also have leeway as to when you can activate the membership (often several weeks to a few months from the date of purchase). Plus the gyms are higher end and you get access to everything a normal membership gives you (classes and facilities).

I've paid $25 for one-month access to gyms that would otherwise be $99/month with fees.

Definitely check out if there are any independent powerlifting gyms near you. The people will be more knowledgeable, and less douchey, and they'll probably have a wealth of equipment you won't see elsewhere, eg dipping belts, grip machines, etc. They'll probably have free chalk and guys squatting 500+ lbs willing to help.

Here's one directory: http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

I currently work out at a big corporate gym because the indy one isn't as conveniently located, but I plan on switching back eventually.

At the indy gym, I'd meet someone new every time I went; there was definitely a community vibe with good strong guys. At this place, before I got there, they'd drink beer during lifting and had Hooters calendars covering the walls. The place has guys driving from 30 minutes to an hour away. If you stuck around enough, you'll probably get roped into competing.

If you care about having shiny new hip adductor machines, these places probably aren't for you. Never understood the pussies who complain about 'old machines.' Usually the it's same yuppies who claim to be so 'pro-environment' who are pushing gyms to throw out perfectly good equipment. Iron is iron.

Quote: (02-03-2012 08:12 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Definitely check out if there are any independent powerlifting gyms near you. The people will be more knowledgeable, and less douchey, and they'll probably have a wealth of equipment you won't see elsewhere, eg dipping belts, grip machines, etc. They'll probably have free chalk and guys squatting 500+ lbs willing to help.

Here's one directory: http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

I currently work out at a big corporate gym because the indy one isn't as conveniently located, but I plan on switching back eventually.

At the indy gym, I'd meet someone new every time I went; there was definitely a community vibe with good strong guys. At this place, before I got there, they'd drink beer during lifting and had Hooters calendars covering the walls. The place has guys driving from 30 minutes to an hour away. If you stuck around enough, you'll probably get roped into competing.

If you care about having shiny new hip adductor machines, these places probably aren't for you. Never understood the pussies who complain about 'old machines.' Usually the it's same yuppies who claim to be so 'pro-environment' who are pushing gyms to throw out perfectly good equipment. Iron is iron.

Sounds like Crossfit.

Quote: (02-03-2012 08:18 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Sounds like Crossfit.

Nah, not really. Crossfit is always $100+/month, and a little cultish. Has more girls and a 'perky' atmosphere. I find the whole CF vibe repulsive. Powerlifting gyms don't have the cheerleading overeager vibe that CF gyms do.

Can't explain it easily, except to say that, sex aside, I'm the kind of guy that prefers the company of men. I've found powerlifting/combat gyms tend to have a more serious, solitary, manly vibe.

Quote: (02-03-2012 08:44 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Sounds like Crossfit.

Nah, not really. Crossfit is always $100+/month, and a little cultish. Has more girls and a 'perky' atmosphere. I find the whole CF vibe repulsive. Powerlifting gyms don't have the cheerleading overeager vibe that CF gyms do.

Can't explain it easily, except to say that, sex aside, I'm the kind of guy that prefers the company of men. I've found powerlifting/combat gyms tend to have a more serious, solitary, manly vibe.

Yeah. I meant like the comraderie and stuff. I agree. I prefer to be in a male environment while I'm working out. Females are a distraction and I don't need that in the gym.

What is the price structure like at powerlifting gyms?

Quote: (02-03-2012 08:54 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Quote: (02-03-2012 08:44 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Sounds like Crossfit.

Yeah. I meant like the comraderie and stuff. I agree. I prefer to be in a male environment while I'm working out. Females are a distraction and I don't need that in the gym.

What is the price structure like at powerlifting gyms?

It probably varies a lot, but mine was $30/month, plus he had a deal of get the first two or three months for the price of one. He was also willing to cut me some other deals on top of that. It was a key club gym, so I could work out at 3AM and blast my own music on the stereo and no one would give a fuck. You really just have to check out your local spots. It's good to know your hood.

Yeah women by their nature draw attention to themselves, and 95% of chicks become attention whores in all-male environments, and most guys can't help but pay them attention.

My crossfit gym is badass. Our coaches all compete, one of them placed in the top 15 and he weights about 165lbs so his technique is great.

Very few girls, (where I actually would prefer more). I've banged 4 girls that workout there throughout the day and there's no more low hanging fruit...

Anyway, some people don't care for crossfit, personally I love it. My fran time got down to 3:12 (pre surgery) so I'm really happy to be back into it.

excuse me sir, can you give me detailed advice on how to bang crossfit girls? [Image: blush.gif]
I am really into those muscular chicks (especially their huge thighs)
I drive by one gym and I see chicks with tight shorts and tank top working out like a man [Image: tard.gif]
Anyways, I think I am in pretty good shape so they won't think I am just there to mess around.

how do you hit on them?
how do you deal with those muscle guys who acts like Alpha and try to protect their turf?

Quote: (02-03-2012 11:32 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

My crossfit gym is badass. Our coaches all compete, one of them placed in the top 15 and he weights about 165lbs so his technique is great.

Very few girls, (where I actually would prefer more). I've banged 4 girls that workout there throughout the day and there's no more low hanging fruit...

Anyway, some people don't care for crossfit, personally I love it. My fran time got down to 3:12 (pre surgery) so I'm really happy to be back into it.

Quote: (02-03-2012 08:12 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

I'm familiar with that Gold's deal. It's actually $9.99 every two weeks, not per month. Also, there's a catch. You have to book a few personal training sessions which costs a couple hundred dollars. There's also an enrollment fee.

The $10/month gym you're talking about is probably Planet Fitness? They had a location near where I worked in SF's Financial District and were advertising that price. It's a pretty spartan bootleg gym. I wouldn't recommend it. No contract, but there is an enrollment fee.

That's incorrect. The Gold's deal here is $9.99 a month. Gold's is a franchise and prices can vary from location to location and among various owners.

The reason they lowered it to that price is because a Planet Fitness and another gym opened up in the area and they both charge $10 per month with no contract. Gold's also lost higher end customers to Lifetime Fitness, which is $80 a month with no contract and a new LA Fitness is currently being constructed in the area as well.

The guy that owns this Gold's also owns another one and only made it $9.99 at the Gold's I go to.

Quote: (02-04-2012 01:21 AM)JayMillz Wrote:  

That's incorrect. The Gold's deal here is $9.99 a month. Gold's is a franchise and prices can vary from location to location and among various owners.

The reason they lowered it to that price is because a Planet Fitness and another gym opened up in the area and they both charge $10 per month with no contract. Gold's also lost higher end customers to Lifetime Fitness, which is $80 a month with no contract and a new LA Fitness is currently being constructed in the area as well.

The guy that owns this Gold's also owns another one and only made it $9.99 at the Gold's I go to.

Where do you live?

Quote: (02-04-2012 07:20 AM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Where do you live?

http://www.goldsgym.com/gyms/maryland/laurel/594

Its funny that you mentioned Lifetime fitness. My buddy mentioned last that a lifetime fitness was opening nearby and it is supposedly crazy, indoor and outdoor pools, climbing wall, multiple bball courts, artificial turf field... So I looked into it this morning and they are charging $130 per month plus tax (13% here).

That is just insane, I know I pay too much right now for a goodlife membership ($60 mth) but its close, a nice gym and the membership is good anywhere in canada, but I can't even imagine paying more than double just to swim in an outdoor pool

Quote: (02-04-2012 03:04 PM)canucktraveller Wrote:  

Its funny that you mentioned Lifetime fitness. My buddy mentioned last that a lifetime fitness was opening nearby and it is supposedly crazy, indoor and outdoor pools, climbing wall, multiple bball courts, artificial turf field... So I looked into it this morning and they are charging $130 per month plus tax (13% here).

That is just insane, I know I pay too much right now for a goodlife membership ($60 mth) but its close, a nice gym and the membership is good anywhere in canada, but I can't even imagine paying more than double just to swim in an outdoor pool

Damn, $130 is too high. I was a member for 6 months at $79 a month. The gym is the bomb. I got back into playing basketball because of that gym. The outdoor pool was a thong fest in the summer with plenty of hot women. The amenities are great. I only ended my membership in December because the drive was a little long for me (20 minutes) and there is an LA Fitness opening walking distance from my house, plus I have the Gold's membership for $10 a month. There is also an aquatic center 5 mins from me with 2 olympic size indoor pools so I have plenty of options. If I lived closer to Lifetime, I would have kept the membership; the clientele is good.

Its truly amazing how good Americans have it as far as Fitness clubs go. 10 bucks a month for Golds!!! In Canada no fuking way. They rape people here for $70 /mth with a contract. There is so much competition in the states and so many fat people whom only commit for a few months at a time that I can see why rates are so cheap. I pay about 15$ a month and it is only because I am a student, if this were not the case it would be 40$.

Another trick that me and homies used to do is go the YMCA and basically say your poor lol. They should hook you up with a membership for whatever you can afford. Some of my homies haggled down for 4$ a month lol.

Quote: (02-04-2012 12:04 AM)Sebastian Wrote:  

excuse me sir, can you give me detailed advice on how to bang crossfit girls? [Image: blush.gif]
I am really into those muscular chicks (especially their huge thighs)
I drive by one gym and I see chicks with tight shorts and tank top working out like a man [Image: tard.gif]
Anyways, I think I am in pretty good shape so they won't think I am just there to mess around.

how do you hit on them?
how do you deal with those muscle guys who acts like Alpha and try to protect their turf?

Quote: (02-03-2012 11:32 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

Unfortunately the key is to be really good at crossfit. Because the girls are doing essentially the same workout as you they start to look up to the guys that are tearing through the workouts. In those gyms you can train barefoot with no shirt on if you wish. Not to sound like a dickhead but the girls I slept with told me they liked watching me train. I'll totally ignore girls while I'm training and afterwards I'll be friendly and engaging and keep the talk to performance and all that. Twice I saw two girls out and hooked up that way and twice I got a number after training.

Unfortunately that's the best advice I have with that.

Anyone have the low down on the best deals in NYC?

I've been working out in a no-frills boxing gym for the past few months, but I wouldn't mind having access to a pool, steam room, etc.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

I just finished my amazon local 30 day membership, was so worth it. Haven't seen any comparable deals online in the last week or so that I have been looking.

I've been doing the groupon thing in the UK, switching between gyms every few weeks. It's brilliant, as OP says, you save quite a bit versus the membership fee.

There is also a startup in the UK called Pay As U Gym which allows you to buy 1 day or 1 week passes at pretty good prices. Definitely worth checking out if you're only in town for a weekend or whatever. http://www.payasugym.com/

It doesn't work in Asia. They don't offer such deals here.

Ouch, I was paying $76/month for Washington Sports Club in DC

Hey, I'm in Largo/Clearwater Florida. I'm having a hard time finding a gym deal on Amazon Local and Group on.

Can anyone help me out?

Ahab

Great advice. Nothing worse than trying to get out of a gym membership, they always seem to find a way to fuck you over and charge you for at least one extra month.