rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Stress

Stress

I know almost everyone has had very stressful periods in their lives. I'm curious to know about what the stress effects were, the reasons you think you were stressed, and how you dealt with them.

I'll start with mine: four years of working full time and going to law school part time, wife + kid, then divorce, then some health issues.

Results: chronic inability to focus or concentrate on work and school. I don't feel like doing anything except read this forum and similar blogs, and generally just occupy my mind with anything other than what I need to do. I just feel lazy. I started working out, then had to interrupt, and never got back to it (generally I have done this at night after I got back from school). I feel like I have little to no will power for anything.

I haven't really tried anything to relieve it. My sister suggested meditation. What have you guys done?

Stress

Quote: (02-03-2012 02:49 PM)Menace Wrote:  

I know almost everyone has had very stressful periods in their lives. I'm curious to know about what the stress effects were, the reasons you think you were stressed, and how you dealt with them.

I'll start with mine: four years of working full time and going to law school part time, wife + kid, then divorce, then some health issues.

Results: chronic inability to focus or concentrate on work and school. I don't feel like doing anything except read this forum and similar blogs, and generally just occupy my mind with anything other than what I need to do. I just feel lazy. I started working out, then had to interrupt, and never got back to it (generally I have done this at night after I got back from school). I feel like I have little to no will power for anything.

I haven't really tried anything to relieve it. My sister suggested meditation. What have you guys done?

Sleep. I know it sounds simple, but the best way I've found to cope with stress is by crashing as early as possible. I swear to God half of the stress is from being tired during the day.

You're tired, you don't get what you need accomplished, and shit piles up. I'm sure people have more complex and better ways, but I always start with a good night's rest.

Stress

Working out helps me immensely.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Stress

To me it's kind of a burn out . I pass in a really similaire situation the last 2 years . I was energy drained . You need to sleep and retake some energy . You have to think about you and go away from the negative energy . Right now, you have to many things that bother you and needed to think constently that's a high source of energy and stress . Start with sleep and I mean early sleep . With enough sleep your health issues , concentration,mood and drive to accomplish things should be better . For evacuated the stress for me it's boxing . It really help me . Meditation can be another alternative .

Stress

In my case, oddly, it was dance lessons. It was the combination of having a mental task to perform combined with physical motion and a slight social interaction--it occupied my mind and body, albeit with repetitive tasks.

I had to force myself to go, and it was difficult to stay interested, but it helped tremendously with my stress levels and while not as strenuous as a proper workout at least engaged my body enough that I was tired enough to sleep better.

Stress

I just got the Heartmath Biofeedback device, seems pretty cool so far. Not sure how much it affects stress when you arent using it... certainly puts you into a very chill, positive-type headspace when you use it though.

Another great set of exercises (for me) has been Tension Releasing Exercises. They are pretty far out and not for everyone, but if you're interested in deep chronic stress & tension release google "TRE David Berceli"

Another easy thing is power naps. Great at reducing cortisol and replenishing your reserves. Structuring your life so you can actually take them, of course, is often the bigger issue.

Stress

I go through phases where I don't do anything productive and work starts to pile up.
In fact, I'm currently in this phase. I just missed my first 2 weeks of school for my last semester in college since I was in the DR..
Now, I need to play catch up.
Well, I am going to take some adderall (10 mg) to help me out.
A little bit of this study drug always gets the ball rolling for me..

Stress

Yeah, sleep would be great, but I can't seem to get to bed before 11:30 each night. I really need to go to bed by 10:30. I considered adderall, but that's not a permanent solution.

Stress

Well I won't go into my stressful experiences in life, but I can relate to how you're feeling (minus the wife/kids/divorce). Being stressed out sucks balls, being stressed out and depressed, and having bad anxiety is really the worse. When you have it bad it will affect all aspects of your life: physical, psychological, emotional healthy, friendships, relationships, sex life, energy levels, etc., etc.

Some tips I can give, as already said sleep and working out are huge. However, if you're depressed or having bad anxiety, sleep may do you more harm then good, if instead of getting up and out to face the world, you just crawl back into bed, just to be all mopey and depressed.

Working out is huge, it will get your endorphins flowing, get you feeling physically healthier, and get you're self image up (definitely a major stress reliever and confidence boost). Another option that I enjoy is taking a martial arts class, make it a hobby and a way to occupy your mind/focus/time, and enjoy the added piece of mind that you have training if in the unlikely event that you have to protect yourself and your family.

Picking up cool hobbies in general can be a good way to alleviate stress, it can be a recreational basketball league, rock climbing, brewing beer, or whatever.

Spend time outdoors! I know not everyone is a outdoor adventure nut, I certainly am not, although I do like to occasionally hike, chill at the beach, etc. Spending time outdoors is a great stress reliever, only spoiled bitchy as 14 year old girls would complain out at some beautiful spot in the forest, mountains, river, beach, etc. Get out of the city, clear your mind, roll a joint, hike up to the peak overlooking the valley, and spark up the good herb.

Smoking herb can be a good stress reliever, just watch out if you are already very lazy and unmotivated, as it will most likely make it worse. Also, sometimes smoking ganja can make things worse if a person is already depressed or feeling anxiety.

Final tips, take a vacation, if you got the time and money, fuck it, dude you need to treat yourself not cheat yourself sometimes in life. If you can do it, snap yourself out of a funk, take a quick trip to the Caribbean, snorkel in clear waters, swim under waterfalls, and eat some good sea food. Or hop on a plane to Rio or Bangkok and let the pussy chase begin, either way will help you overcome that stress.

Also, as pussy gay and flaming homo as it is to say, I don't give a fuck, because I could care less if it's beta or omega... but go get yourself a spa treatment. Depending on where you're at you can hit up a spa, get a fucking sweet massage, some facial skin treatment, then sit in a sauna, steam room, or take a dip in hot and cold pools. This will help you to unwind and de-stress for sure, and if you don't end up doing a "spa treatment" at least try to get a massage (cute chick preferred) or find a spot with saunas and hot tubs and take a couple hours to marinate.

Eat well and drink green tea

Hope this helps brotha!

Stress

I went through a stressful period for about nearly two years. I used to have very long hair, stress actually made my hair fall out. There were a number of reasons for this stress. I don't really want to talk about them because it was a combination of family problems and letting myself be played by a bitch (nearly lost my life as well in that situation).

What brought me out of that stress was my love for music, and creating songs. That and working out everyday, doing pull ups and chin ups etc.

Stress

Thanks guys. Helpful ideas. I'm planning on taking a vacation this summer after the bar exam.

Stress

Workout & Yoga for the body.
Meditation for the mind.
Right food for your system.

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.
- Garry Kasparov | ‏@Kasparov63

Stress

Good luck on the Bar exam. Just remember that they guy with the highest score and the guy with the lowest are both lawyers when it is over so don't kill yourself studying. I worked, was married with kids etc.. when I went to law school, it's very difficult so no wonder you are stressed. Good advice above, work out, do shit outside of school and work that you enjoy, and most important don't take everything so seriously.

Stress

I would highly suggest for you to take a vacation and some far flung beach.

I took a 2 week break in a small group of islands in the pacific. There was hardly anyone there.

It was actually really really really hard for the first 4-5 days because I was bored out of my fuckin' mind. It was like my
system didn't know how to learn this "language".

I would hire a boat to take me and drop me off at a deserted beach and pick me up in a few hours. I'd sit there in
the sand watching the crabs dig around my toes or take a dip in the ocean. I seriously didn't shower for 5 days.

But once I learned how to unwind and go with the island flow.. I never felt more rejuvenated in my life.

The whole idea unwinding and learning not to do anything is the key.

Plus, you can meditate, exercise and eat healthy all at the same time.

"Some May Never Live, But the Crazy Never Die..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Stress

Quote: (02-03-2012 02:49 PM)Menace Wrote:  

1. Prayer/meditation (amazing what silence can do)
2. Sports (competitive focus takes the brain somewhere else)
3. Travel (let the curiosity take over)
4. Remembering the words "This too shall pass," whether its good or bad.

Stress

- Getting enough sleep
- Eating healthy food
- Working out

If everything fails, come back to Jesus.

Stress

I'm a hypocrite for posting this at 2AM while stoned but.

Reduce/cut out drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.
Sleep
Eat healthily
Exercise
Meditate
Don't take life so seriously, accept that you aren't that important.
Write down 3 things you're grateful for every day
Do a random act of kindness today (for people who need it, dont go around white knighting)

That's all I can think of at the moment. I think some supplements can help but I'm not certain. In particular ACV, cod liver oil and green tea.

21 y/o brit.

Stress

Excercise has to be the best one for me.
Also, just running errands and talking to girls and people around me. It puts me in a better mood.
Smoking bud of course. Just be smart and don't sit at home smoking joint afetr joint.
I would imagine volunteering and putting smiles on people's faces will help out.

Stress

There is only one CONCRETE CURE FOR STRESS....wait for it.........wait for it.............wait for it..............SEX

Mixx

Stress

Quote: (02-12-2012 06:02 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

There is only one CONCRETE CURE FOR STRESS....wait for it.........wait for it.............wait for it..............SEX

Mixx

I wish that was true. I'm having regular sex (albeit not with a diff. chick every week), but it hasn't dramatically improved things. Anyway, I started taking a dance class, hopefully it will help.

Stress

Quote: (02-12-2012 06:13 PM)Menace Wrote:  

I'm having regular sex (albeit not with a diff. chick every week)

No wonder you are stressed, shit I would be too!!!

Mixx

Stress

Quote: (02-12-2012 06:15 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Quote: (02-12-2012 06:13 PM)Menace Wrote:  

I'm having regular sex (albeit not with a diff. chick every week)

No wonder you are stressed, shit I would be too!!!

Mixx

[Image: biggrin.gif] Maybe I'll hit you up for life style coaching when I'm down in FL.

Stress

stress unfortunately for me impacts the two key things that you need to fix it:

1) makes my workouts harder and recovery much more difficult. sleep becomes problematic and thus recovery times and thus performance.

2) my libido goes in the toilet when i'm really stressed.

however, without either sex or working out i'd probably die from stress given what is happening in my life right now.

exercise and sleep!

Stress

I've had some serious shit come my way over the years. Women, jobs, death. Here's what worked.

Fresh Air
Sunlight
Exercise
Sleep
Good [not rich/heavy] food.

The first two are very underrated, especialy if you live in a city.

Stress

delete

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin