rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Location Independence Journey: My Five Year Plan

Location Independence Journey: My Five Year Plan

Just had a ridiculous phone call with the bank where I keep my savings account.

They called me three times this morning, all within an hour. It sounded urgent, so I followed up with them. They said my new mailing address "appears" to be a PO Box and could not accept it. Backing up a bit - I had changed my mailing address a week ago, and it is NOT a PO Box address. It's just like a regular address. I don't know how the bank found out that it wasn't a real residential address?!

Anyway, they sternly lectured me about not using PO box addresses as banks aren't allowed to under the Patriot Act. Said if I didn't change it back to my old address, or send an utility bill with the new mailing address on it under my name, they would close my account. I fought with them over the phone for half an hour. I even offered to send a notarized Form 1583 that tells the USPS that my mail is delivered and processed at the new mailing address. They refused to even LOOK at it and see if it was something acceptable, stubbornly insisting on an utility bill.

I threatened to take all of my savings out and close the account. In response, they said they could allow me to list two mailing addresses on my account. One would be my new mailing address, and the other would be my old home address. Basically if I did that, they would leave me alone. I updated my account with the two addresses, and when they checked it, they said it's perfectly fine.

Crisis averted. At least for now. I'll be keeping an eye on them. With an itchy trigger finger, I am still prepared to move my money at a moment's notice.

As far as other updates:

- Got my multiple entry visa
- Got all my air/lodge bookings set
- Sold all my furniture (someone should be coming to pick up the bed today)
- Will sell car next week
- Wrapping things up at work before I leave
- Made a packing list and hoping it will all fit in my luggage

Messages In This Thread